Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm playing more Anachronox. It's the first time I have come this far in the game. I'm at the ship with the comic book style dialog windows. I beat a boss and he sent me to jail after. Combat is so very slooow. I don't dislike the actual systems, but a speed up button would do wonders. I'm happy I went with normal and not hard. Based on normal difficulty, I think I wouldn't have mega problems beating it on hard, but I am happy I chose normal, because enemies would probably have been bullet sponges. The sarcasm/comedy is alright, don't really mind it. Characters are fairly likable. Exploration is sort of JRPGish, I guess. Good to see that each character have their own abilities that you can make use of in the actual game world. Graphically, it hasn't aged well. Overall, I am enjoying myself, but I wish combat moved along much faster.
As No Great Name said, there was a patch added that has a fast forward button. I'm surprised you got that far without using it! I didn't get past the first world until I discovered how useful the key was.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Playing Arx Fatalis at the moment.

It's giving me a break from Wizardry before I import my Wiz 7 save into 8.

Starwars

Arcane
NWN2 OC since I'm a weird person who doesn't like to just jump into MotB directly.

Goddamn... I had kinda forgotten about the voiceacting, the characters, the low level NWN2 D&D combat... and the encounters, lord the encounters. Has anyone ever counted how many watchmen/thugs you murder in the first Act? Or Orcs?

NWN2 OC is absolute garbage, avoid at all costs and just go straight into MotB. Even if you'd like to import your character, just LARP something that you think you might have completed the OC with. It's really dreadful.

boot

Prophet
played Der Langrisser again after reading spekkio's post

As I remembered, suffers from "death by 1000 animations". I was playing with the turbo button held down the entire time. Way too slow. Needs to be about 5x faster and with snappier responses to inputs. The game system is fun but you spend most of your time waiting for actions to be carried out. Forming a perfect line with soft units prepared to charge behind it, mages perfectly positioned, etc. is satisfying, but it takes forever. The AI wastes movement squares and is retarded so you must manage each unit yourself. Extreme case of death by animation.

I think I've played all non-H japtacticool games and strategy RPGs. If anyone knows good ones to check out I'd like to hear about them. Strategy RPGs are my favorite.

spekkio

Arcane
^
Yo, you do know that you can disable battle animations in menu? For me, with turbo buttan pressed, waiting for AI to move around its units took ~3 seconds. :?

boot

Prophet
You still have to wait for the computer to do it's math or whatever. Doesn't save much time.

with turbo buttan pressed

I think if you have to play while holding down the turbo button there is a problem.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, Anachronox is done. I was asking myself when a specific thing would happen.
Someone would betray the party. My bet was Stiletto.

The last fight made me want to rip my chest hair to shreds. It wasn't difficult, but it took me around 30+ minutes to beat it. It was just tiresome. Thank good for the tip to speed up battles, though. The ending was a disappointment, considering a sequel will never be made. Despite some flaws, I would have most likely played the cancelled sequel.

Now, on to Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2. I have never actually played it, despite really enjoying Blood Omen and the first Soul Reaver. I don't know why it hasn't happened before, both those games are some of my favorite action adventure games of all time.

Got sucked into Factorio. It's like I really am an autistic 8 year old again.

There's something deeply satisfying about spending an hour or two with cheats on figuring out all of the supply/throughput/outputs/connections, then starting a real game and just plopping down blueprints (that eventually build themselves). A smelting line here, some science there, a solar panel to BLOT OUT THE SUN over there.

the_shadow

Arcane
NWN2 OC since I'm a weird person who doesn't like to just jump into MotB directly.

I don't find it weird. I find it really jarring to start with high level PCs. I think it's because my knowledge of the mechanics and skills grow as my PCs level up.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Baldur's Gate, the original one. Playing the original as well, not the Enhanced Edition. I haven't played any Bioware games besides Neverwinter Night OC and KOTOR1, the former being my first CRPG ever as well (I assume Diablo 1 doesn't count). Loved it at the time, but now realize what a boring piece of shit it is, even though I really like the engine and have a massive soft spot for those graphics and music. I played KOTOR1 as well, but can't remember a single thing from it, unlike KOTOR2.

Anyway, I am enjoying it. Still only a few hours in, but it's very charming. There's just something about those old-school graphics, like picking up a nice richly illustrated fantasy book.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I took another (and last) look at Doom 3, iD Software's first real failure of a game after a streak of winners. It's been over 10 years since I last played Doom 3, but seeing a chance to play the "updated" BFG version, I thought I'd give that a go and see what got changed.

For those clocking in a bit late here, Doom 3 was iD Software's attempt to reclaim the FPS crown from Valve after they'd marked it as their own with Half-Life, which uses a modified version of iD's own Quake 2 engine. Knowing that Valve was making a game engine of their own and attaching the sequel of their flagship title to that engine, iD raced against the clock to beat Valve to the punch and show that they were still the kings. To iD's favor they did release their game first. Unfortunately it was barely a game worth talking about. Compared to iD's previous games, Doom 3 is slow-paced, down to earth and frankly kinda dull. It looks and plays more like a System Shock sequel than Doom 3. Instead of rocket jumping and gibbing monsters left and right there's reading crew logs, instead of extravagant boss battles there are only predictable boss encounters, and no massive arenas full of hostile daemons - all of the things that made the original Doom games are not only gone, they've been shrunk down to give room to a new game engine that does have a few cool tricks up its sleeve... but sadly those tricks never get their moment in the spotlight. Doom (2) could deliver massive battles against hundreds of enemies, Doom 3 pitches 5 enemies against the player at the most. There are invisible walls all over the place and too much hand-holding through simple corridors to find the MacGuffin needed to overcome the temporary obstacle in your path. Short of Doom 3 doing cool things with shadows, there's not much to talk about here.

In fact, one of Doom 3's biggest points of criticism was how silly it was that the game's light source counted as a weapon, and could not be used with other weapons. Keep in mind though that the entire game is designed around this sole fact - you can't see where you're going while wielding your weapon at the ready. An interesting design decision, but ultimately a bad one. And there the BFG edition screws up right off the bat. The very first mod made for Doom 3 allowed the flashlight to be used alongside the weapons, but even then no one took the time to ask whether that was such a good idea. Bethesda sure didn't as the BFG edition allows for free use of the flashlight alongside any weapon, with only a limited charge being the only downside. In addition ammo counters are now present on the HUD. iD Software purposefully did not include them in the HUD to increase player immersion, but Bethesda thinks their customers are braindead retards. As a result Bethesda's tampering with Doom 3 has made it into an inferior game than it was. Every encounter feels dull, repetetive and devoid of tension. The original Doom 3 at least was a spooky trip through dark-as-fuck environments, the BFG edition turns it into a boring walk through long sections of dimly-lit hallways. Such a small detail, such a big difference.

Another problem with Doom 3 are the weapons. If you've played Doom you know what you're getting, except the constant need for reloading gets irritating pretty fast. Then there's the weapon balancing - the standard shotgun is useless except when fired down enemy's throats, while the machine gun has pin-point accuracy and mows down even some of the larger monsters, making the chaingun feel kinda useless. Speaking of monsters, their AI seems unchanged from Doom 2 which was released nine years prior. They advance, they fire, period. Some pack a lunge attack, while the marines show a shred of intelligence and either bunker down behind a crate and fire non-stop at my position, or advance right into my face without a care in the world. Some of the monsters can side-step your shots though, but the number of times they have the space to do so means you're unlikely to even notice this.

And with that we get to the most dissapointing aspect of Doom 3: The level design. Large, sprawling levels with everything from tight corridors to large areans make way for generic hallways, locked doors and endless searches for PDAs, locker codes and "monster closets". Monster closets were getting kinda tired in the original Doom games, but here's they're just pathetic and overused. The search for PDAs and locker codes makes for a unsuitable departure from standard Doom gameplay, especially as many precious minutes are wasted sitting in a corner listening to boring and badly-written audiologs. Fortunately the PDAs are in generic order - matching up lockers with their codes is just a case of keeping your eyes open... with one notable exception where you must visit an out-of-game website to find the code. Bethesda actually fixed this by changing the e-mail so that the subject title IS the password, so that's one less headache to worry about.

The Resurrection of Evil expansion attempts to do something new, by adding some simple puzzles and a couple of new weapons to the game. The super shotgun makes all those shotgun shells relevant again, and that heart thingie at least isn't as overpowered as the Soul Cube, but ultimately this doesn't feel any more interesting than the original. The BFG Edition has a second expansion pack called The Lost Mission. It starts and feels like a polished fan mod, but there are two things that it does better than the original game: The audiologs are actually acted out quite decently (with variable accents and some characterization present) and the Hell you're dropped into here is actually quite good. It looks, sounds and feels like Hell. Doom 3 and RoE made Hell feel like an excavation site with a weird ambient lighting, but most of TLM's Hell really gets it right, though there's a long hallway section which almost kills the mood.

Ultimately Doom 3 is still as disappointing a title as it was back in 2004, if not more so with the BFG Edition. If you're bored, unfamilar with the game and have $3 to spare it may be a worthwhile effort, but otherwise it's best left alone.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Id got too enamored with the technical aspect of things and didn't pay enough attention to the gameplay of the game, reading audiologs, storyfaggotry on a fucking Doom game was an atrocious idea. I guess they got used with the string of technical advances they made use on their older games and thought an engine was what made a game, Doom 3 is the tacit proof that isn't the case. Another company that recently failed to learn this was Crytek, another company that relegated gameplay to a secondary spot and focused way too much on the graphical presentation.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Did I mention I LARP Baldur's Gate so that I only save in inns? Got ambushed during quick travel by ogre mage and a bear, and lost almost all my party. Set me back so many jewgolds.

:negative:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Just finished Arx, good game. Last boss was kinda easy though.

Wiz 8 time now. Let's see how my Wiz 7 party fares.

Endemic

Arcane
EsM2Sm5.png

the_shadow

Arcane
Might and Magic World of Xeen - Pretty decent blobber, really good for its time.

Disciples: Gold - Sort of a simplified turn-based Warcraft. Better than I thought it would be. There is a lot of emphasis on leveling up your units.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Just finished Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri, loved it. Considering it's a thing that's not really praised when people talk about the game, I didn't expect that I would enjoy its story as much as I did. Shame that it never got a sequel, there was a lot more that could've been done with the universe and the characters.

Now I think I'll do another playthrough of the Thief games.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Just completed the HoMM 3: Restoration of Erathia campaign.

The game mechanics and the AI is better in HoMM 3, but HoMM 2 had better and more challenging campaigns. Even editing the campaign maps so that I could set the difficulty to Impossible it was still far too easy.
Only one map gave me some trouble, when I used standard strategy on a Small map.
The final map was an anticlimax, and I didn't even get to fight the super general - the undead King Gryphonheart.
The voice acting and cutscenes (with Queen Catherine leading her troops wearing not much more than pauldrons, greaves and the Royal Panties), were also rather cringeworthy.
The best part of the campaign was getting to play all sides in the conflict. Too bad none of the heroes developed ever faced each other in future maps. It could have been interesting, and as a bonus it would have trolled the OCD players who only transfer maxed out characters.

From what I've heard the two expansions are more challenging, so I look forward to playing them (despite the tedious Elemental faction).

And there's lots of brilliant user made maps made, which puts the official maps to shame.

Endemic

Arcane
Shadow of Death is tougher and has recurring heroes. The "Festival of Life" campaign in Armageddon's Blade is also tricky.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom