Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

laclongquan

Arcane
Fallout Tactics Brotherhood of Steel, Redux mod 1.3, then Equilibrium mod on top of that. (it's a Redux without many extreme change)

Early Impression: Equilibrium is gonna be a close game. Also a much different game than a Redux's.

It doesnt have the increased incoming damage of Redux, which mean it doesnt need the "first shot first kill" tactic. WHich mean long drawn out fight, equal to higher expenditure of ammo.

BUT Equi eliminate the stealable inventories, meaning no more a big extra stash of ammo. QM and other shop inventories is not as plentiful as in Redux's, is my second impression, which mean reduced resupply. Many other enemies dont have as much looted inventory for us like in Redux's, so another reduced sort of resupply.

Example: Before Quincy, you can find a hand flamer but no fuel to use. No Big Guns or Energy of any kind whatsoever. Some electron pack and energy cells, but no microfusion fuels. Even Preoria's twelve turrets dont have MF to loot. It's distinctly uncomfortable game to play because you have to really count your ammo: shotgun cells (obviously), and even down to the 9mm (just crazy).

I have run out of shotgun cells twice, and nearly out of 9mm. There's still 5.56 and 7.62 so I am not exactly empty-gunned, but ... as a packrat this is uncomfortable to me.
Fists don't run out of ammo. Neither do sledgehammers, for that matter.
At least in Equilibrium it's possible to do melee thanks to the increased range of unarmed and melee attack. And it's not as deadly as Redux.

Redux Hard (let alone Impossible) ensure that any melee fighters get a deadly blast to the face, or nearly so. It's very hard to run to target knowing that you have only one chance to make it out.

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
More DOS games. This time around it's a rare shooter called Powerslave (Exhumed in Europe). It's running on the Build Engine, so graphics wise it's very similar to Duke 3D and Blood.

You're some kind of a modern day soldier sent to kill some Egyptian mummies raised by aliens. Serious Sam was probably based off this game. The game's pretty fun once you configure it properly. See the PC Gaming Wiki article on how to enable proper mouselook and circle strafing. You can essentially make it control like a modern FPS game.

Of note, the game was originally released on the consoles (PSX and Saturn) on a different engine with different levels and power-ups, and it was also hub based (Metroidvania) instead of the linear progression in the PC version. Not sure which one is better, but I've heard many good things about the PSX version. In fact, there was a remake of the PSX version by that Night Dive Studios dev, Kaiser, but it got pulled for the moment. You can still find the download links on Google though.

Some YouTube videos:
MS-DOS
PSX Remake

DOS version screenshots:

F05Mhah.png
8883Baw.png
cKhV6W5.png
6WZx55u.png
zYqAHAJ.png
6K5vQI6.png

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
More DOS games. This time around it's a rare shooter called Powerslave (Exhumed in Europe). It's running on the Build Engine, so graphics wise it's very similar to Duke 3D and Blood.
Powerslave is one of the better Build games IMO, not as good as Duke3D or Blood but better than Witchaven 2 or Tekwar. Or NAM, which is probably the worst of the bunch. I do like the graphic style and the level design.

Ezekiel

Arcane
Doesn't help me. I can't get the timing right.
Sam is literally DODGE! The Character and the Senator is literally DODGE! The Boss
the entire preceding chapters of the DLC should have been a prelude to this, if you don't figure out the timing and that charge attacks deal most damage you're gonna die fast
Well, that was simple. I hadn't played MGR in so long that I forgot you have to equip your recovery items in typical MGS fashion. I was trying to beat the president with one energy cell. I'm done with Sam now.

Kitchen Utensil

You're some kind of a modern day soldier sent to kill some Egyptian mummies raised by aliens. Serious Sam was probably based off this game. The game's pretty fun once you configure it properly. See the PC Gaming Wiki article on how to enable proper mouselook and circle strafing. You can essentially make it control like a modern FPS game.

Of note, the game was originally released on the consoles (PSX and Saturn) on a different engine with different levels and power-ups, and it was also hub based (Metroidvania) instead of the linear progression in the PC version. Not sure which one is better, but I've heard many good things about the PSX version. In fact, there was a remake of the PSX version by that Night Dive Studios dev, Kaiser, but it got pulled for the moment. You can still find the download links on Google though.

Some YouTube videos:
MS-DOS
PSX Remake

DOS version screenshots:

F05Mhah.png
8883Baw.png
cKhV6W5.png
6WZx55u.png
zYqAHAJ.png
6K5vQI6.png

Never played the DOS version, but the PSX version is pretty awesome. The collecting of gear (boots for higher jumping, a feather or something that lets you glide through the air etc.) which allows access to secrets and new levels is great. Cool setting, great atmosphere, level-design and music, nice enemies, bosses and weapons. I should replay it again.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Back to Warband: Viking Conquest. Definitely a better run than the first time I played storymode, especially since I built the bloke to get a hold of the best axe as soon as you score a ship.
Still more fun than native warband, though I've yet to properly play Brytenwalda to make a proper comparison.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Stellaris is fun as hell. Really scratches that itch of wanting a 4X in space.

With you on that. Ended up modifying the files to allow more planets though, enjoy micro, but it will likely make progress slow eventually.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Playing through The Evil Within as a) it was dirt cheap and b) I could never get RE4 HD edition to work on my 120hz monitor.

Quite enjoying it now I've discovered the Flawless Widescreen mod for fixing the FOV. God, how could they think the original FOV was acceptable?! I know it's probably meant to be claustrophobic and add tension, but ffs it was like looking through a cardboard tube! I'm not usually sensitive to stuff like this, but this was the first game that I seriously considered binning just because of the terrible FOV. Just onto Chapter 5 and although I've had a couple of jumps, (two mobs came from somewhere behind me while I was training on a door, and the first invisible mob), it's better at building tension than delivering scares. Suits me, it's nice to feel some slight nervousness for a change. The checkpoints are just about right so far, although it seems to be tending towards giving you one before a hard fight so I hope they're not all telegraphed.

Well worth the £3.74 and probably a bit more.

Yeah, it's like watching someone play it on the other end of a room on a 14" monitor through a letterbox (not the first time that activity has earned me the attention of the police). Died an awful lot of times of first playthough, mostly frustrating insta-deaths. Enjoyed it more on second playthrough, forewarned is forearmed and all that. There's a video out on the second installment, will definitely pick that up at some stage.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Blood Bowl 2 lately to practice for my first league. Some of Darkwood as well which is a very good game. Also played Hearthstone to Rank 5 with a Rogue.

I'm beginning to play more games that can be played in short sessions. Like a game of Hearthstone is usually pretty quick (since they killed most of the slow 'control' decks) and Darkwood is segmented into 'days.' Blood Bowl 2 can sometimes take an hour+, but isn't too bad. Same for games like Invisible Inc., Isaac, Templar Battleforce.

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
Just finished Theron on my first playthrough of The Age of Decadence as an assassin. I really like how your skills play into encounters and how just about everything is potentially deadly (like in real life!). The way the game utilizes combinations of skills, loyalty, and reliability factors that open up different options is excellent. I wish more RPGs approached characterization the way AoD does.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Replaying for the 20th time the Thief trilogy!It never gets old even if they have become super easy.Tried to play Thief 2015 and i got sick after an hour of kleptomaniacal pointless gameplay.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
I've been messing around a bit with browser based version of Roadwar Europa.
Very enjoyable for 80's game despite the economy that feels like that player can't lose if he is patient enough.
But who cares about that since the game is about turn based mad max style tactical combat with vehicles that can ram, be boarded, have breakable tires that affect steering etc.
The fact that this combat system hasn't been copied and refined by anyone since then is a proof that were living in a flawed world and god hates us.

Also 10 mission deep in Star Hammer: The Vanguard Prophecy campaign.
It's quite satisfying tactical space combat game.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'm playing more Anachronox. It's the first time I have come this far in the game. I'm at the ship with the comic book style dialog windows. I beat a boss and he sent me to jail after. Combat is so very slooow. I don't dislike the actual systems, but a speed up button would do wonders. I'm happy I went with normal and not hard. Based on normal difficulty, I think I wouldn't have mega problems beating it on hard, but I am happy I chose normal, because enemies would probably have been bullet sponges. The sarcasm/comedy is alright, don't really mind it. Characters are fairly likable. Exploration is sort of JRPGish, I guess. Good to see that each character have their own abilities that you can make use of in the actual game world. Graphically, it hasn't aged well. Overall, I am enjoying myself, but I wish combat moved along much faster.

the_shadow

Arcane
Two at the moment:

Tales of Maj'Eyal - Got this (along with additional content) for a nominal price off GoG on the Codex's recommendation. Started playing it, saw the primitive graphics, and thought WTH is this?! I was expecting something that looked a little more modern. Anyway, I gave it a go and... it's really really good. User-friendly and common sense enough to start enjoying immediately, but with so many different classes, races, and abilities to experiment with. Best RPG I've played in ages.

Might and Magic Heroes VI - Saw this going cheap, so I thought I'd give it a go because I'm a big fan of HoMM 3. I've invested a lot of time in completing two campaigns on Normal difficulty, and all I can think is... what a slow, painful, difficult grind. You can get hours into a campaign, only to realize that your final surprise 'what a twist' enemy has amassed a bazillion high tier units that far outnumber yours. It all comes down to rushing, knowing exactly where to go and when, and praying that the high level enemy heroes are away while you swoop in and take cities. Even the *tutorial* campaign required several restarts, and I've completed all the campaigns in HoMM 3.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finally dig into Wizardy VI - BotCF. Skullduggery is a bit hassle because "red light-green light" game is way too fast. Either savescumm things or slow down cycles but I need to tweak some config because going from 1 to 1000 is a bit too much (when cycle goes up after ENTER it might not register when there are green lights).
Basements and 1st floor are done, oh joy... can't wait for some YOU DIED moments adventures

Found something interesting. I play most games in windowed mode but hate the fact that you can't change gamma or brightness in them. There is exception - M&M X Legacy in windowed mode have working gamma switches. :thumbsup:

Got some attempts in doing Divinity Original Sin EE achievemnt hunt. I did it with Classic version (one and only playthrough)
SgytaEg.jpg
found few big changes like Temple of the Dead in Phantom Forest (reaching entrance took me some time while Classic entrance got 4 sentries cut down themselves, easy as pie).

I'm playing more Anachronox... Combat is so very slooow... Overall, I am enjoying myself, but I wish combat moved along much faster.
there is a key to speed up combat, either / or \... or use CheatEngine's speedhacks (really helpful in RPGs where you walk and travel a lot).

Last edited:

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
Might and Magic Heroes VI - Saw this going cheap, so I thought I'd give it a go because I'm a big fan of HoMM 3. I've invested a lot of time in completing two campaigns on Normal difficulty, and all I can think is... what a slow, painful, difficult grind. You can get hours into a campaign, only to realize that your final surprise 'what a twist' enemy has amassed a bazillion high tier units that far outnumber yours. It all comes down to rushing, knowing exactly where to go and when, and praying that the high level enemy heroes are away while you swoop in and take cities. Even the *tutorial* campaign required several restarts, and I've completed all the campaigns in HoMM 3.
H6 is a pretty good game if you're looking for skirmishes. Campaigns are awful, though. The tick tock blob clock means that in order to win a mission you need to rush the one, optimal path before the enemy hits a point of no return with his masses of troops. And you can't wait a while to get more troops for yourself, because the enemy will get even more troops in a meanwhile. This is some really dogshit mission design.

No Great Name

Arcane
I'm playing more Anachronox. It's the first time I have come this far in the game. I'm at the ship with the comic book style dialog windows. I beat a boss and he sent me to jail after. Combat is so very slooow. I don't dislike the actual systems, but a speed up button would do wonders. I'm happy I went with normal and not hard. Based on normal difficulty, I think I wouldn't have mega problems beating it on hard, but I am happy I chose normal, because enemies would probably have been bullet sponges. The sarcasm/comedy is alright, don't really mind it. Characters are fairly likable. Exploration is sort of JRPGish, I guess. Good to see that each character have their own abilities that you can make use of in the actual game world. Graphically, it hasn't aged well. Overall, I am enjoying myself, but I wish combat moved along much faster.
If you are playing the GOG version, it does have a fast-forward button. I think it's the backslash key, the one above Enter.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom