Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Ezekiel

Arcane
Played a bit more of Vanquish and MGR. I don't like either of these games. Vanquish is just so thoroughly bland
wut
I said, Vanquish is so thoroughly bland!

and I can never grasp how I'm supposed to play MGR. I was able to get through Normal, but trying to beat the president with Sam proved too complicated. The only PG game I found decent was Bayonetta, and I wasn't a fan of that either. Devil May Cry 3 is still my favorite of the genre.
Parry counter or die, dodge through incoming firewaves
Doesn't help me. I can't get the timing right.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Played a bit more of Vanquish and MGR. I don't like either of these games. Vanquish is just so thoroughly bland
wut
At least play the Tactical Challenges to get a real glimpse of the game

and I can never grasp how I'm supposed to play MGR. I was able to get through Normal, but trying to beat the president with Sam proved too complicated. The only PG game I found decent was Bayonetta, and I wasn't a fan of that either. Devil May Cry 3 is still my favorite of the genre.
Parry counter or die, dodge through incoming firewaves
Doesn't help me. I can't get the timing right.[/QUOTE]
Sam is literally DODGE! The Character and the Senator is literally DODGE! The Boss
the entire preceding chapters of the DLC should have been a prelude to this, if you don't figure out the timing and that charge attacks deal most damage you're gonna die fast

Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Been playing some Doom 64 EX.

It's a PC port of the Nintendo 64 version of Doom, which was a pretty awesome game. It has 32 all new exclusive levels, completely redone graphics with high quality sprites, colored lighting, fog and an ambient soundtrack. The PC port was done by Kaiser, the guy behind the Steam versions of Strife, Turok and Turok 2. He used the Doom 2 source code as the base and then reverse-engineered all N64 specific stuff to make the definite version of the game. It's completely free, but plays just like a commercial port, really amazing.

It honestly feels like the real Doom 3. Genuinely scary, with clever puzzle design (e.g. timed puzzles, all kinds of traps, wall running, etc) and good balance. Highly recommended if you've never played it.

Get the port here. You'll need the Doom 64 ROM to generate IWADs. Should be one of the first clicks in Google.

d64ex_04.png
d64ex_06.png
d64ex_11.png
d64ex_12.png
d64ex_13.png

Dux

Arcane
Playing Elder Scrolls: Arena and getting lost constantly in the city. I spend all of my time asking peasants where everything is located and then when I finally try to unwind at an inn I get insulted by every single patron there. Apparently they don't like Bretons. I'm in High Rock, home of the Bretons.

Need to find a good dungeon before I lose my mind.

Bocian

Arcane
Someone dropped a download link to Prelude to Darkness, and I decided to try it out, having no general idea what the game is and what is it about.
My first impression was positive, due to rather complex and interesting character creation - it took me a while to figure out what exactly I want the characters to be and going through the in-game manuals. In the end I chose a fight-oriented bodyguard, talker bard with a bow and a flame acolyte/second-line fighter.
IXPA6jw.png

Everquest-like graphics, animations and general clunkiness aren't too appealing for more modern eyes (and I'm not talking about PoE or Skyrim, but IWD or NWN), but it isn't that hard to dismiss the form and focus on the content, which seems to be good enough for now. As a group of agents tasked with finding the instigators of the revolution, the characters find themselves in a small town, tasked to reach the informator, which gets mysteriously murdered not long after.
There are two ways to up the skills, by training in combat or receiving exp points, the rewards for finishing quests. The combat itself takes a while to get used to (due to the mentioned clunkiness and occasional crashes), but it's tactical and allows multiple solutions and strategies - like, while the fighter is keeping the enemies busy, the flame priest can flank them and use the spell, which aimed properly will damage all of them at once.
As a summary, I wouldn't call PtD spectacular or a hidden gem (so far), but it's decent and I think it deserves a chance.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Someone dropped a download link to Prelude to Darkness, and I decided to try it out, having no general idea what the game is and what is it about.
My first impression was positive, due to rather complex and interesting character creation - it took me a while to figure out what exactly I want the characters to be and going through the in-game manuals. In the end I chose a fight-oriented bodyguard, talker bard with a bow and a flame acolyte/second-line fighter.
IXPA6jw.png

Everquest-like graphics, animations and general clunkiness aren't too appealing for more modern eyes (and I'm not talking about PoE or Skyrim, but IWD or NWN), but it isn't that hard to dismiss the form and focus on the content, which seems to be good enough for now. As a group of agents tasked with finding the instigators of the revolution, the characters find themselves in a small town, tasked to reach the informator, which gets mysteriously murdered not long after.
There are two ways to up the skills, by training in combat or receiving exp points, the rewards for finishing quests. The combat itself takes a while to get used to (due to the mentioned clunkiness and occasional crashes), but it's tactical and allows multiple solutions and strategies - like, while the fighter is keeping the enemies busy, the flame priest can flank them and use the spell, which aimed properly will damage all of them at once.
As a summary, I wouldn't call PtD spectacular or a hidden gem (so far), but it's decent and I think it deserves a chance.

The UI font makes my eyes bleed.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Now that both Jade Empire and Adventures of Mana are beaten, I am now starting Anachronox. I remember when I thought the game looked good. :) I have never beaten the game, time to change that.

Timeslip

Timeslip Softworks
Patron
Developer
Clocking up really long hours at computer at the minute, so not playing that much. What little time is split between Deus Ex HR Director's cut and Stellaris. Really enjoying DX, despite not being a huge fan of stealth orientated games. It feels a bit over stylised, but had a good atmosphere, story and is mechanically quite solid. Have played a couple of shorter games of Stellaris to get a feel for it, and the most recent game is the first time I had a good early game. Really enjoy it, the incredible scope starting from a first planet, fighting limited battles with pirates, and spreading out across space to encounter other races.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Have played a couple of shorter games of Stellaris to get a feel for it, and the most recent game is the first time I had a good early game. Really enjoy it, the incredible scope starting from a first planet, fighting limited battles with pirates, and spreading out across space to encounter other races.

Stellaris is fun as hell. Really scratches that itch of wanting a 4X in space.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Fear effect a.k.a. we used tank controls for a action game like completely idiots.
Just died 3 times in row to the first boss because of the awesome "health" mechanic.Basically your only health only regenerates if you do stealth kills or in certain points ,but sometimes your health randomly degenerates for no fucking reason like at the beginning of the boss fight.
So i watched a you tube video to find out the optimum way to beat him is to roll in his face,because rolling dodges bullets somehow.
Other videos are done by standing in front of him and unloading machine guns,well for me my health meter only allowed 2 shots and if i could take one more i could do the standing in front of him thing.
It doesn't help that the camera is isometric in this case and rolling with tank controls in a isometric camera is a nightmare.
But there is an issue with this game and that is targeting is automatic and even if you are shooting inf front of the enemy if the green reticule doesn't appear you miss automatically and the green reticule takes a couple of seconds to appear.
Stealth requires navigating close to an enemy and waiting for the reticule to turn red for a stealth kill,but what is the point?
Enemies drop way too much ammo and you can head shot them anyway,so stealth is meaningless minus the health mechanic.
I remember later enemies being zombies,but i also remember never running out of ammo so that doesn't matter anyway.
Graphics are horrible because most of the background objects are fmv based,so up scaling resolution only applies to models not the background so it stays blurry.
The lore and world would be interesting if you could find anything about it,but is is just minimalist and in a bad way.There is nothing there,and later shit just starts showing up for no reason whatsoever(hello demons,zombies and etc)
Considering both syphon filter and metal gear solid had better controls i have no idea what they were thinking with applying tank controls to this genre.
If the remake fixes controls it is still a mediocre game,but at least it will be playable.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
This is my first time playing Daggerfall seriously in what feels like 10 years. Having a lot of fun. But damn I forgot how buggy this game is. You walk into a corner incorrectly and you clip through the entire god damn map. Or you hit a lever which moves an elevator block but the block doesn't come back down even when you hit the lever again so you get stuck and have to reload. And swimming is totally broken. Half the time you get stuck at the top of the water unable to descend because some monster is below and you're not able to aim at the monster to kill it. This game basically requires savescumming to succeed.

Ezekiel

Arcane
wut
At least play the Tactical Challenges to get a real glimpse of the game
I liked this boss:

But when it was over and I went back to fighting regular enemies, it turned into a standard cover shooter again. That wasn't so much fun.

A shoulder swap button would help with these denser areas. Everybody praises the (silly) rocked slide, but I mainly just use that to get to the next piece of covers. It runs out too quickly. The game is just easier with cover.

deuxhero

Arcane
Playing Interstate 76 now that I realized I can lock the FPS to 30 simply via graphics card manager now.

Was really fun, but jumps still aren't quite perfect. I'm stuck at a mission I have to rescue Taurus and the bridge at the end keeps killing me because the ramp is steep enough I lose most of my speed regardless of gear or nitrous. I've given up trying because there's like 5 minutes of gameplay before each attempt.

Durandal

Arcane
I liked this boss:

But when it was over and I went back to fighting regular enemies, it turned into a standard cover shooter again. That wasn't so much fun.

A shoulder swap button would help with these denser areas. Everybody praises the (silly) rocked slide, but I mainly just use that to get to the next piece of covers. It runs out too quickly. The game is just easier with cover.

You should have been on the Internet long enough to stumble upon a similar discussion which says that playing Vanquish like a cover shooter is PLAYING IT WRONG.

The rocket knees aren't just for show, man. Being able to go fast and not die (on the higher difficulties) is a display of real skill. You are graded with a pretty big time score bonus if you complete a stage quickly. Your score actually gets penalized the more you stay in cover. Had there been a time limit to complete stages which would make you game over if you were too slow, maybe the point could have been driven home better, but even then casuals would have bitched about it like they did in even Gigantic Army.

It's easier to take it slow and popamole, but you should innately know that's a scrub's way of playing, and instead aim to improve yourself. It's like using items in Bayonetta, it's there because Platinum wants even casual players to be able to have a decent experience. But try that shit on higher difficulties and enemies will spam grenades like mad as your inability to kill fast gets you surrounded. Cigars, smoke 'em. Watch TheSeraphim17's video's on how it's really done.

spekkio

Arcane
Finished Der Langrisser for SNES

Easily one of the best japtacticool games evar. Different system than in things like FFT, Front Mission, Fire Emblem, etc: based on commanders + units, instead of individual characters, but same (higher?) level of tactical fun.

Good: :)
- Fantastic "simple yet complex" combat system:
a) commanders can use different types of units, working in rock-paper-scissors way (cavalry is strong against infantry, but weak against pikemen, etc),
b) commanders have their "area of control" around them, which gives stat bonuses to nearby units; this way, you have to think about movement and positioning of entire squads, not individual characters as in most japtactical games,
c) plenty other variables must be taken into consideration during gameplay (bonuses / penalties depending on unit type): range, terrain, special attributes (angels are immune to magic for example),
- Fantastic balance and clever mission design:
a) no imba characters (hitters can get 1-2 useful spells, and that's it, same with casters - they get mostly weaker units and can use lower number of them),
b) no imba units (except maybe angles): archers can attack from distance, but have low attack and defense, ballistas have biggest range but even lower attack and defense than archers, cavalry has great range outdoors, but very low indoors, aquatic units rock in water, but are very slow outside of it, etc. etc.
d) everyone can die from 1-2 hits if you are not careful, especially commanders (enemy AI targets them first),
e) terrain really matters (storming castles is royal pain in the ass due to defense bonuses for enemies and reduced movement),
f) due to clever EXP system, you have to play in certain way: there are no random encounters, only set number of missions; if you kill enemy commander, he and all his units die, but you only get EXP for killing the commander, not his units - killing the entire unit first and the commander last is advised (and ofc. much harder)
- There's some strategy involved when it comes to your commanders' progression: if you don't promote them to new classes (due to low EXP - see above) or choose some shitty progression path, you'll end up with shitty units and stats. Unfortunately, some metagaming is required here (see below).
- You have control over comander's classes even for commanders joining you late in the game. When they join, they just start "leveling up" from Lv0, so you can shape them any way you want, but they become useful right away. No retarded "level up all fags from level 0, grinding for 10 years" bullshit, as found in FFT for example.
- Summons are great idea: each caster can summon one powerful unit at a time, which can do fine combat-wise even outside their commander's area of control, cast some spells on their own and rape almost everything when in their commander's AOC ("best" summons have stats almost as good as the strongest commanders). Awesome.
- Non-linearity: four different paths through campaign, with different missions, commanders, and units. Those depend on dialogue choices, answers you gave during main character's creation and your actions in combat (which enemies you killed / spared during missions). Pure fucking awesome.
- Huge mission variety: kill everyone, survive X turns, protect fag X, etc.
- Magic is very important, despite low number of spells and can really change the outcome of the battle. Spells like "Quick" (doubles movement range), "Again" (unit gets second turn) or "Teleport" (p. obv.) can be fucking game-changers. Esp. since some of them affect not the area, but entire targeted unit. So, if your caster can't target some unit, just move one fag from such unit into caster's range, and voila. Shit can be abused AF OFC. :)
- Difficulty varies from decent to brutal (DAT two missions on the ship, without main healer!). Plus different campaign paths have different difficulty (light = easy mode, chaos = real men).
- Great replayability due to different campaign paths and commanders' progression paths.
- Remember the last time when you had an urge to restart a game right after you've completed it? Me neither...

Ugly: :?
- WAY too much unit banter for my taste. Mostly nicely written, but you can't skip it, so if you decide to restart a mission (and you often will), you'll have to click through it again.
- AI takes its sweet time to move units. Better have this "turbo" button ready.
- AI for allied units does mostly shit. Either give me full control over these fucks or GTFO. At least they don't charge into enemy, like in some games.
- Enemy AI isn't aggressive enough IMO. For example, when AI faces units it can't easily kill, instead of concentrating efforts on killing just one soldier, creating a breach and raping your commander / weaker unit form second row (as you do very often), it just sits on its ass, doing nothing.
- *Edit after finishing Imperial path: other paths are indeed more difficult, with less commanders, weaker units and much more aggressive AI (most of the time 3/4 units rushes at you right away).
- Strategic layer in commander progression is nice, but without knowing who's gonna join / leave and when, and most importantly, which classes will be available for each commander in the future, you can outcuck yourself with ease (at some point I was left without cavalry, because my only commander who was able to use horsies, suddenly decided to fucking go away...)
- Some spells are super-useful, but some of them are useless (charm, sleep – very low success rate = no real point of using them).
- Only a couple of weapons/accessories. It emphasizes the importance of good tactics, but still - you're done with the "equipment" menu around midgame...

Bad: :(

- Fucking reinforcements from hell, arriving in the middle of the mission, screwing up your entire plan. Most of the time, the only way of dealing with these is to restart a mission with different unit setup. For example, if you don't have pikemen unit on the map, dealing with 2-3 heavy cavalry units can be impossible, esp. if they target your commanders. Which they will...

Verdict: one of the best japtactical games I've ever played, highly recommended to every fan of the genre.

:5/5:

Already restarted the game, aiming for either imperial or neutral path this time.

:dance:

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Drog Black Tooth

Self-Ejected
Finished Doom 64. A very good game, nice difficulty and a lot of cool puzzles that employ some clever scripting (yes, this engine supports scripting unlike the other classic Doom games). The final battle was lol tho, had to use IDDQD. The ending is
you choose to stay in Hell forever to fight the demons thus becoming the Doom Slayer
This supposedly ties the classic games with Doom 2016 and Quake Champions.

Now, I thought about giving Strife (the Veteran Edition) another go, but fuck, no matter how many times I try I just can't get into this game. The stealth/NPC/shopping etc elements just really, really don't mesh well with the Doom gameplay. You're supposed to infiltrate some area to talk to some guy so that he gives you a key to enter some other level, but then one of the guards goes berserk for some reason and the whole supposedly civilian area turns into a battle field. Not to mention that all citizens peasants look exactly the same, so you have to talk to every one of them in order not to miss some important plot bit. Wish it was more like Hexen.

ss_f254090a9dd250a8e48eb902c228e433ffe0e35b.1920x1080.jpg

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Playing through The Evil Within as a) it was dirt cheap and b) I could never get RE4 HD edition to work on my 120hz monitor.

Quite enjoying it now I've discovered the Flawless Widescreen mod for fixing the FOV. God, how could they think the original FOV was acceptable?! I know it's probably meant to be claustrophobic and add tension, but ffs it was like looking through a cardboard tube! I'm not usually sensitive to stuff like this, but this was the first game that I seriously considered binning just because of the terrible FOV. Just onto Chapter 5 and although I've had a couple of jumps, (two mobs came from somewhere behind me while I was training on a door, and the first invisible mob), it's better at building tension than delivering scares. Suits me, it's nice to feel some slight nervousness for a change. The checkpoints are just about right so far, although it seems to be tending towards giving you one before a hard fight so I hope they're not all telegraphed.

Well worth the £3.74 and probably a bit more.

laclongquan

Arcane
Fallout Tactics Brotherhood of Steel, Redux mod 1.3, then Equilibrium mod on top of that. (it's a Redux without many extreme change)

Early Impression: Equilibrium is gonna be a close game. Also a much different game than a Redux's.

It doesnt have the increased incoming damage of Redux, which mean it doesnt need the "first shot first kill" tactic. WHich mean long drawn out fight, equal to higher expenditure of ammo.

BUT Equi eliminate the stealable inventories, meaning no more a big extra stash of ammo. QM and other shop inventories is not as plentiful as in Redux's, is my second impression, which mean reduced resupply. Many other enemies dont have as much looted inventory for us like in Redux's, so another reduced sort of resupply.

Example: Before Quincy, you can find a hand flamer but no fuel to use. No Big Guns or Energy of any kind whatsoever. Some electron pack and energy cells, but no microfusion fuels. Even Preoria's twelve turrets dont have MF to loot. It's distinctly uncomfortable game to play because you have to really count your ammo: shotgun cells (obviously), and even down to the 9mm (just crazy).

I have run out of shotgun cells twice, and nearly out of 9mm. There's still 5.56 and 7.62 so I am not exactly empty-gunned, but ... as a packrat this is uncomfortable to me.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fallout Tactics Brotherhood of Steel, Redux mod 1.3, then Equilibrium mod on top of that. (it's a Redux without many extreme change)

Early Impression: Equilibrium is gonna be a close game. Also a much different game than a Redux's.

It doesnt have the increased incoming damage of Redux, which mean it doesnt need the "first shot first kill" tactic. WHich mean long drawn out fight, equal to higher expenditure of ammo.

BUT Equi eliminate the stealable inventories, meaning no more a big extra stash of ammo. QM and other shop inventories is not as plentiful as in Redux's, is my second impression, which mean reduced resupply. Many other enemies dont have as much looted inventory for us like in Redux's, so another reduced sort of resupply.

Example: Before Quincy, you can find a hand flamer but no fuel to use. No Big Guns or Energy of any kind whatsoever. Some electron pack and energy cells, but no microfusion fuels. Even Preoria's twelve turrets dont have MF to loot. It's distinctly uncomfortable game to play because you have to really count your ammo: shotgun cells (obviously), and even down to the 9mm (just crazy).

I have run out of shotgun cells twice, and nearly out of 9mm. There's still 5.56 and 7.62 so I am not exactly empty-gunned, but ... as a packrat this is uncomfortable to me.
Fists don't run out of ammo. Neither do sledgehammers, for that matter.

Mustawd

Been playing a few games since beating S&S Underworld.

Torchlight 2: Took what I liked about Torchlight and made it better and closer to the Diablo 2 experience. It still has the same type of art style, so if you disliked TL1 for that then TL2 won't change your opinion. Related to that, TL2 also suffers the same issue in where the art style just does not match the Diablo 1 style Grim dark music. It's great music, but it clashes horribly.

All that aside, it improves with a similar world to Diablo 2 with different hubs. It changed the fishing mechanic which I thought was annoying, but not in a way that really made it a big negative. This time around, much like Diablo 2, there are more classes to your disposal. Funny enough, I found the story harder to follow or rather less consequential than TL1. Where Tl1 was slightly paper towel thin, TL2 was tracing paper thin and never even engages you enough to even interest you to sit through the voiced dialogue. SOmthing biog bad guy related to D1 wants to do stuff and whatever. Go kill things. Again, this is TL1 with more stuff, better environments, more varied quests, more varied monsters, more varied towns, etc etc. It's Tl1 but better. Get if you liked TL1.

Sid Meier's Ace Patrol: A mobile strategy game ported to the PC and sold on Steam. This was a very basic and lazy port as almost nothing was changed to make this a more "PC Centric" title. The mechanics, art, UI, repetitiveness from the mobile game (I played it on ipad like 4 yrs or so ago) all remain in the PC title. It's fun enough for 3 or 4 missions. Until you realize the planes don't seem to give much difference in performance/tactics, the missions are drawn form the same poo,l of 6 or so, the pilot portraits are the same across all countries but with different names and laughable accents, and the environments never change. Pass.

HL2: Episode 1: This is just basically a shorter HL2 with better puzzles. Everything else is the same, which is not saying much. It just advances the story from the end of HL2. Meh, I guess but at least they improved the gameplay somewhat and it's shorter.

Max Payne: Played this in high school but never beat it as it was on a buddies PC and I remember accidentally quick-saving instead of quick-loading right when I was being shot in the face. So I ragequit until recently. It's how I remember it. A good action game with an interesting time stop mechanic. It runs a bit too long IMO and the platforming levels are fucking stupid (WHY DO FPSes have platforming? Why??!!). Really nice and short action game that ran about 8-9 hours. Not really much replay value, so I'll move on to MP2 soon.

Diablo 1: Same deal with Max Payne. Ragequit after an accidental quick save. Great ARPG and still stands head and shoulders above newer ARPGs like Titan Quest, Bastion, both Torchlights, etc. If you like ARPGs buy it. Atmosphere and soundtrack are second to none, and it's short at around 10-12 hrs if you play it blind.

Ezekiel

Arcane
You should have been on the Internet long enough to stumble upon a similar discussion which says that playing Vanquish like a cover shooter is PLAYING IT WRONG.

The rocket knees aren't just for show, man. Being able to go fast and not die (on the higher difficulties) is a display of real skill. You are graded with a pretty big time score bonus if you complete a stage quickly. Your score actually gets penalized the more you stay in cover. Had there been a time limit to complete stages which would make you game over if you were too slow, maybe the point could have been driven home better, but even then casuals would have bitched about it like they did in even Gigantic Army.

It's easier to take it slow and popamole, but you should innately know that's a scrub's way of playing, and instead aim to improve yourself. It's like using items in Bayonetta, it's there because Platinum wants even casual players to be able to have a decent experience. But try that shit on higher difficulties and enemies will spam grenades like mad as your inability to kill fast gets you surrounded. Cigars, smoke 'em. Watch TheSeraphim17's video's on how it's really done.
If the game has to use a score system to tell you not to use cover, that's kind of lame. I use cover because it's usually safer. Anyway, I kept playing, and the areas after that were more conducive to sliding and running around.

The game has its good parts, but then there are some that are pretty shitty, like the slow, tedious conveyor sections. PG always does this. In Bayonetta, it was the drawn out highway chase and the shmup section that made it hard to see in front of your avatar. In Metal Gear Rising, it's the forced walking before Monsoon and the poor stealth parts.

Durandal

Arcane

If the game has to use a score system to tell you not to use cover, that's kind of lame. I use cover because it's usually safer.
If you consider a high score a measure of how well you have utilized the game mechanics as opposed to taking the easy route, then it's perfectly justified. Other Platinum games are more in your face with rankings which tell straight to your face that you suck or that you can do much better, which unfortunately Vanquish is the only real exception to (not counting Nier Automata and Anarchy Reigns given their non-Platinum standard structure). You gotta put yourself at risk to reap the rewards, which in turn becomes more impressive to see as you have to get better to not die all the time, though most Western players only bother with it if higher score means more upgrades.

The game has its good parts, but then there are some that are pretty shitty, like the slow, tedious conveyor sections. PG always does this. In Bayonetta, it was the drawn out highway chase and the shmup section that made it hard to see in front of your avatar. In Metal Gear Rising, it's the forced walking before Monsoon and the poor stealth parts.
I have no idea why Platinum keeps doing this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom