Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Endemic

Arcane
p0Hjkkl.png

Looking forward to Six Ages, King of Dragon Pass needs its sequel.

sullynathan

Arcane
DMC4.

Going from Nero to Dante is really jarring, I don't know another game in recent memory in which you're forced to change main characters mid way through and re-learn new mechanics, movesets, weapons and more. Personally I don't mind too much because I've been playing these games a lot and I really like Dante but for a newcomer this would be really annoying.

Being able to change styles at will with the combination of the already great combat is really flashy and fun, plus pandora is a great gun in this game. One downside though is that camera is somehow worse than DMC 3. I had few issues with DMC 3 camera, it was mostly static and only obscured enemies a very small amount of times, but DMC4's camera doesn't adjust itself even when an enemy is literally blocking the screen.

So far the only two bosses I'm not that fond of are Echidna and Dante. I liked Echidna as a boss when I fought her with Nero, his grabs worked very well but with Dante things didn't pan out like I wished. Fighting Dante with Nero was a shitfest though, he just had the upper hand in every way.

Nex Machina. This game is fucking amazing. I've played 12 hours just to get a decent score on the first level on the 2nd easiest difficulty. There are 2 harder difficulties, and 6 levels in total.

People who complain about this game being short on content are obviously retards who credit feed at arcade games and think they're doing something.

Honestly this thing blew me away. I didn't think a pure arcade game with real arcade sensibilities (score-driven, zero gimmicks, hard as balls) could be produced anymore, and yet here it is - shiny and chrome.

It's a fucking shame that it has only sold 20k copies on Steam so far. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best game I've played in the last 10 years at the very least.

Beastro

Arcane
I would have liked to try Agnarr but I only like playing with multi boxes so I have to stick to the regular servers so I don't need a subscription. I still pay for a sub to unlock more AA's but then I just let it expire after a month. Currently 8 boxing which I'd never afford on a prog server. I love the game though, I play it in my own way and at my own pace, I started from fresh with level 1's and take my time so I will probably never see the end game, not for at least a year anyway. I want to do a lot of old raid content by myself, at least velious and luclin and then some of pop. And I want to get some epics. I don't put in that many hours so this kind of thing takes me a looooong time.

Ahhhh, k. I get you on boxing, though I only two box to help solo better and be more of a lure to groups looking for a slower that wouldn't otherwise take a Necro (My main box is a Shammy).

I don't know about Agnarr lasting after going through Phinny tup to the present. I feel as much as people talk about wanting a server locked at Planes of Power they'll quickly realize how boring it'll get and it
ll soon become a ghost town.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I would have liked one locked at PoP because I never did the whole PoP progression. But I don't like a lot of that server's ruleset, I would have preferred it to be a slow progression, like 4 months of Classic, 6 months of Kunark, 8 Months of Velious, etc. But Agnarr is too fast, and it has mercs, defiant gear, pok books from the start, all stuff that makes the whole thing go too fast. So I think people hit PoP in no time and then run out of stuff to do, and yet they wont have done all the dungeons and raid content the game has to offer, and will have no reason to because each expansion makes stuff before it obsolete. Even Defiant gear alone is better than pretty much everything until end game.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Trying to play metro 2033 stealthily and it is a joke.(original not redux versions)
A knife to the back instantly kills a enemy while a silenced gun takes multiple shots,fuck that is stupid.
Also enemies seem to have telepathy considering any noise made by enemy triggers the entire level to be alert regardless of proximity.
Oh and checkpoints without quick save for added frustration(if a glitch happens and the games saves you have to restart the chapter)
I have no idea why people were praising the stealth game play as hardcore when it is just badly designed.
Oh and already played the game as a pure shooter,i was just wanting to try stealth.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Also enemies seem to have telepathy considering any noise made by enemy triggers the entire level to be alert regardless of proximity.

This kind of thing is bloody annoying. How the hell do guards know that a noise or footstep is not coming from the 99 other guards on the same level?

decaf

Learned
A knife to the back instantly kills a enemy while a silenced gun takes multiple shots,fuck that is stupid.
I remember clearing the game on stealth with not much problems. Get headshots? IIRC thrown knives are magic death missiles. Just don't hit the mags and clutter on the chest, they have physics that make your instant death knife bounce off.

This kind of thing is bloody annoying. How the hell do guards know that a noise or footstep is not coming from the 99 other guards on the same level?
Lazy AI alert level programming, as usual.

Starwars

Arcane
I have no mouth and must scream.

One of those games I've been meaning to play but never got around to. It's certainly unusual for a game, I think that's what I'm enjoying the most. I mean, it's not exactly great... but yeah, feels very unique.

I'm kind of bouncing between games while I wait for FFXII The Zodiac Age to come out.
I most often play Tekken 7 but when I'm not in the mood for a fighting game, I'm playing quite a bit of STALKER: Call of Pripyat. I'm enjoying it a lot more than i was expecting, I'll probably keep playing it every now and then even after FFXII comes out.

Otherwise, I was picking at Gothic 1. It's pretty interesting. The controls are pretty wack but I've gotten used to them.
I've made a new character in Morrowind and then i also tried out Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy 13. The former is a game I always have installed, like Dark SOuls, and Lightning Returns is surprisingly decent.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle
I had this when it first came out, but never got really far into it. I was much more of a fan of RPGs than adventure games.
Playing it now on DOSBOX with an actual Roland SC88, and it's great. Really enjoying this game. I actually do like how lethal Sierra adventures are, but it's also a nice change to pace to be able to explore and figure the game out without having to map things, keep a bunch of separate saves and notes, etc.
I really like how the dialog gives you subtle (and not so subtle) hints at stuff you are supposed to do. I also like that the game just drops you in (once you can access all three characters) with some overall goals, and lets you explore and work on several puzzles at once at your own pace.
It still looks great today. My wife walked in the room while I was playing it and said, "Wow! This looks like a cartoon!"

Deleted member 7219

Some nice visuals though (if compromised for console) - that level of presentation, with a larger scope, and gameplay that isn't dogshit would make for a very good game.

Freddie

Savant
My first impression of Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed was that it's a grenade/blaster launcher fest and I thought I take a break of and play some stuff in my inventory and new discoveries from Steam Summer Sale.

VA-11 Hall-A Cyberpunk Bartender Action

This isn't sort of game I usually play and I decided to get this just because of that and because some favourable mentions in the Codex. So it turned out to be a lesbian simulator. Well, that's... different.

It's Visual Novel type of game which is set in (plausible like) Cyberpunk setting in the US. Your alter ego is a bartender who mixes drinks to customers and also interacts them via chatting them in different scenarios. There's also bartender's boss and initially one co-worker. Some other characters.

My initial expression of this game was good. I found setting interesting and felt that with formula of implementation of Visual Novel this might offer some interesting scenarios. Progress in game is measured per daily. There's some resource management also in taking care of your apartment (paying a rent, etc) and buying different items to your house or otherwise can help you in certain situations. It feels bit superficial but I can see why developers wanted to have that aspect in game, to have at least some game in this and it sort of gives dept to life of your character.

Main attraction is however the bar. Customers come and order something, you mix their drinks in a minigame (which is hardly challenging) and deliver them their order. The key thing is, customer chat with your character and depending your success in mixing right drink to them and even sometimes giving them the best drink according to their mood, sometimes even if it contradicts their order, your bartender can manipulate the outcome of conversations, which then in turn can have other consequences, so you need to learn to know your customers. Customers also interact with each others.

It sounds very good, unfortunately as whole, it isn't.

Some characters and scenarios are very well written, but as whole the game is too long for what it has to offer and comes repetitive and boring. There's love story, I didn't expect that and it's terrible. There is subplot tied to this 'romance' where your alternate version in game universe tries to come in terms with herself. Again, this sounds like it's something mature, but actually as whole, it isn't.

Usually I try avoid spoilers, even I typically play older games, but this time I feel I'm obliged to break that rule, simply because otherwise sharing my experience wouldn't have much value.

The game's main plot is actually this coming to terms with herself bullshit and romance that ties to it. The conclusion reveals this game what it truly is, which is one really cynical piece of work. This is a game which is made to look good from beginning to mid game, where it have some good parts to grab players, and especially critics / reviews attention. Yeah this can make a good impression there with it's mix of things and themes. In the end it aims for Sugar Rush (which is also a drink in the game) ending which is, for me at least (and I'm quite mature) was something really repulsive. My disgust is not because lesbianism, but because it's perverse, narcissistic view, so everything is fine when you project yourself to other person and even make her to be your doll.

So it's for a reason it's about lesbian relationship, because otherwise there might have been quite a few questions that developer might have find difficult to answer, but in current political climate in gaming and cuck reviewers being human waste they are, hey, lesbians, love, coming to terms with your past, cute, or whatever, and nobody calls these fucks out for what they are, or even review game for what it really is.

Disclaimer: I played Bible Black and I recall some other Hentai 'visual novels' years ago and found them hilarious, if for nothing else, for imagining what the hell must have been happening in the writing team. So I don't feel like I'm prude. It's just that at least those games don't pretend to be anything they are not.

Soundtrack is great if you like 'Cyberpunk synthpop with spice', you can buy it from Band camp from the musician without buying the game.

Unless you are a dev, or interested in writing (there are some good ideas and even implementation), avoid.

Hell Yeah!

Hell Yeah is about undead rabbit with a vengeance. In practice it's 2d platformer / shooter where you carry on with destroying various enemies, solving real time physical puzzles and dexterity of your fingers.

It's hard to put in words, but it's cheap and it's fucking awesome. If you are in this sort of games, I recommend this.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
I am playing 3 games right now

Mad Max
Another open world game,I am 12 hours into this one but I am starting to get bored,it's getting repetitive and it doesn't have something to keep me going,will probably drop it before I finish it.
0JUtcUh.gif

Diablo 3 and Reaper of Souls
Finished the campaign and spending my time in adventure mode at the moment,not bad,it didn't give me cancer like some people around here would have me believe.I am a noob when it comes to hack'n'slash rpgs,never actually finished Diablo 1&2 but I am having fun with this one

Darkest Dungeon
I actually backed this up during the kickstarter campaign but never got to playing it but the release of the dlc forced me to install it and check it out.Very good game,haven't gotten to the actual darkest dungeon so far but I am having lots of fun,added the dlc to my steam wishlist for the Christmas sale

sullynathan

Arcane
Beat DMC 4.

The Savior boss is a pretty shit boss. For a game series like DMC to have a boss that focuses heavily on platforming while having almost non-existent platforming mechanics is pretty shit. I just found myself jumping around the place way too much on this boss. Jumping back from Dante to Nero so close to the end is far less forgiving than the jump from Nero to Dante half way through the game. Mission 19 and the return of the dice boardgame style is really annoying as well. The design of the mission is stale and frustrating as you watch the dice roll to a random number and consistently land on the red dot on the board. This mission is so randomized to the point that it makes combat boring because there is either too much of it or too little of it. Finally ,you now have the luxury of fighting nearly every single boss 3 times by the time you finish this mission. Compare fighting Echidna, Bael & Dagon, Agnus & Berial 3 times throughout the game to fighting Vergil 3 times in Devil May Cry 3. Each encounter with Vergil was fought with increasing difficulty, new moves, a different location, different encounter design and increased power and skill from the player.

Proud souls are a good enough change to just collecting red orbs to upgrade your abilities and weapons but you need far too many proud souls to upgrade abilities. You also don't get to use your proud souls unless you quit a mission, finish a mission or die during a mission.

My favorite bosses were
  • Berial
  • Sanctus
  • Credo
  • Agnus

Overall Devil May Cry 4 was a fun game with the best combat in the series but a lot of shitty missions. In hindsight nearly every boss in the game is good apart from the Savior and Echidna, but fighting the same bosses multiple times in the same format throughout the game is boring. After beating the game I also counted how many enemy types exist in Devil May Cry and there are only 10 different enemy types, 2 of these enemy types have a more powerful variation and one of these enemy types is non-combative. Compared to Devil May Cry 3's 20 enemy types and increased number of bosses, Devil May Cry 4 is severely lacking. Devil May Cry 4 might have the best combat in the series, but Devil May Cry 3's combat was also great too. DMC 4 could have been a much better game.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Hell Yeah!

Hell Yeah is about undead rabbit with a vengeance. In practice it's 2d platformer / shooter where you carry on with destroying various enemies, solving real time physical puzzles and dexterity of your fingers.

It's hard to put in words, but it's cheap and it's fucking awesome. If you are in this sort of games, I recommend this.

Oh, I played this for far too long.

Be wary of certain quests in this game, they require that you "zoom out" your viewscreen in order to proceed (everything regarding seeing, for example). I found this to be cheese not worthy of this game, so I grumbled much about it while trying to see how far I could get.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I finished Alan Wake and "The Signal" DLC for it, and man, Remedy really dropped the ball with this game. It kind of got better in the second half, as you started to get some variety in the encounter design and the environments (meaning that you don't spend all of your time in those pretty but repetitive forests), but the pacing was still unbelieveably bad for the most part.

I mean, there are six "episodes" in the game, and in each one you have to kill so many enemies that it makes World War II look like a small-scale skirmish. There are two kinds of enemies in the game: ones that require you to point a flashlight at them and then shoot them, and others that only require you to do the former. It gets very dull very fast, but the worst thing is that most of those sections have nothing to do with the actual plot, which is pretty much the only reason to play the game. In the first episode you simply go from A to B and kill six million mooks on the way. The second and third episode revolve around a totally pointless red herring subplot, and the body count gets even more ridiculous. The fourth and fifth episodes are by far the best in the game, both having relatively tight pacing and some of the best combat encounters in the game, but in the fourth one there's really no justification for all the shooting, as
the Anderson brothers could've just told you about the Lamp Lady right away, allowing you to skip half of the entire episode.
The last episode in the main game is just a tedious, anticlimactic combat romp where you're once again just trying to get from one place to another, and the godawful DLC is a waste of time that just makes you fight some more without resolving anything. The game would've been much better off if the amount of fights was cut by about 90%, and by far the best parts of it are the bits where you walk around talking to people and occasionally press E when the game tells you to. I really would've wanted to see this as a less linear horror/adventure game with the occasional combat part every now and then, which probably would've been closer to their original vision from the days when this was still supposed to be an open-world game.

There are also some major issues with the game's tone. It's something of a horror story, but it's like the game actively tries to not be scary. Whenever something potentially creepy happens, Alan Wake steps in with his narration and reminds the player that there's nothing to be worried about. When enemies jump out from behind you, the game shows you it in slow-mo just to make sure you're prepared. You get a comic relief sidekick, and
nothing bad happens to him.
It seems like they were trying to capture that particular Stephen King / Lovecraft / Twin Peaks atmosphere but make it feel warm and cozy instead of scary, and they kind of succeeded in it, but I'm not sure if that was a goal worth pursuing in the first place. Then there is the DLC, which is closer to the more surreal parts of Max Payne 2 (e.g. Address Unknown) than Alan Wake, except it's nowhere near as much fun and doesn't really work in this context at all.

Just to end things on a positive note, I've got to say I loved the hilarious combat taunts.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Trying out Invisible, Inc. and I wish I had given it a go before. I'm only a few missions in, but this is an immensely refreshing take on the turn-based genre.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
My first impression of Buck Rogers: Matrix Cubed was that it's a grenade/blaster launcher fest and I thought I take a break of and play some stuff in my inventory and new discoveries from Steam Summer Sale.

VA-11 Hall-A Cyberpunk Bartender Action

This isn't sort of game I usually play and I decided to get this just because of that and because some favourable mentions in the Codex. So it turned out to be a lesbian simulator. Well, that's... different.

It's Visual Novel type of game which is set in (plausible like) Cyberpunk setting in the US. Your alter ego is a bartender who mixes drinks to customers and also interacts them via chatting them in different scenarios. There's also bartender's boss and initially one co-worker. Some other characters.

My initial expression of this game was good. I found setting interesting and felt that with formula of implementation of Visual Novel this might offer some interesting scenarios. Progress in game is measured per daily. There's some resource management also in taking care of your apartment (paying a rent, etc) and buying different items to your house or otherwise can help you in certain situations. It feels bit superficial but I can see why developers wanted to have that aspect in game, to have at least some game in this and it sort of gives dept to life of your character.

Main attraction is however the bar. Customers come and order something, you mix their drinks in a minigame (which is hardly challenging) and deliver them their order. The key thing is, customer chat with your character and depending your success in mixing right drink to them and even sometimes giving them the best drink according to their mood, sometimes even if it contradicts their order, your bartender can manipulate the outcome of conversations, which then in turn can have other consequences, so you need to learn to know your customers. Customers also interact with each others.

It sounds very good, unfortunately as whole, it isn't.

Some characters and scenarios are very well written, but as whole the game is too long for what it has to offer and comes repetitive and boring. There's love story, I didn't expect that and it's terrible. There is subplot tied to this 'romance' where your alternate version in game universe tries to come in terms with herself. Again, this sounds like it's something mature, but actually as whole, it isn't.

Usually I try avoid spoilers, even I typically play older games, but this time I feel I'm obliged to break that rule, simply because otherwise sharing my experience wouldn't have much value.

The game's main plot is actually this coming to terms with herself bullshit and romance that ties to it. The conclusion reveals this game what it truly is, which is one really cynical piece of work. This is a game which is made to look good from beginning to mid game, where it have some good parts to grab players, and especially critics / reviews attention. Yeah this can make a good impression there with it's mix of things and themes. In the end it aims for Sugar Rush (which is also a drink in the game) ending which is, for me at least (and I'm quite mature) was something really repulsive. My disgust is not because lesbianism, but because it's perverse, narcissistic view, so everything is fine when you project yourself to other person and even make her to be your doll.

So it's for a reason it's about lesbian relationship, because otherwise there might have been quite a few questions that developer might have find difficult to answer, but in current political climate in gaming and cuck reviewers being human waste they are, hey, lesbians, love, coming to terms with your past, cute, or whatever, and nobody calls these fucks out for what they are, or even review game for what it really is.

Disclaimer: I played Bible Black and I recall some other Hentai 'visual novels' years ago and found them hilarious, if for nothing else, for imagining what the hell must have been happening in the writing team. So I don't feel like I'm prude. It's just that at least those games don't pretend to be anything they are not.

Soundtrack is great if you like 'Cyberpunk synthpop with spice', you can buy it from Band camp from the musician without buying the game.

Unless you are a dev, or interested in writing (there are some good ideas and even implementation), avoid.
^same, though less about narcissistic romances as I'm not intelligent enough to think that far, but because of the jarring shift from the random stories of barflies to a sudden more personal story
while I thought it was a nice play on the formula to have the bartender be the one sitting on the other side of the bar, ending it on her note while ignoring the rest never sat right with me

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom