Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I want to get into the Castlevania series, what games should I pick first? Are there some remarkable remakes or missable entries?
Play Symphony of the Night.

spekkio

Arcane
^
Bullshit.
Go either with one of the most accessible "oldschool" (platformer) ones, that is Rondo of Blood, or with good and accessible "newschool" (metroidvania), that is Aria of Sorrow.

There's a pseudo-3D remake of Rondo & SotN on PSP, but IMO the original, TurboGrafx CD game is better choice.

C3 (nes) & C4 (snes) are considered the best when it comes to the oldshit.
Circle of the Moon (GBA) & Order of Ecclesia (NDS) are considered the best when it comes to metroidvanias.
All 4 are harder than the 2 I've mentioned earlier.

Skip SotN, Harmony of Dissonance and everything 3D.

:obviously:

laclongquan

Arcane
Never played MDK and never will. Murder Death Kill is just a stupid name for a game.

I did hear about that stupid tittle, so stupid that it stuck in my memory and reinforced by every time I am curious about playing old game that I have a remembering~

Yeah, just no.

I swear, early game developers (circa 90s) just have the weirdest way to do business.

I want to get into the Castlevania series, what games should I pick first? Are there some remarkable remakes or missable entries?
My favourite classic Castlevania is Castlevania 3 for the NES. The Japanese version has much better music (due to an extra chip on the cart that was axed from the western version), so if you can, play that.

Rondo of Blood for the PC Engine is also great (the PSP remake is awful), but too easy in my opinion. Super Castlevania 4 for the SNES is worth playing for the music alone, but I'm not a fan of the 8 way whip mechanics. If you were around at the time it was one of the most impressive games ever, but it hasn't aged too well - it's too easy.

I'm not a fan of the recent Castlevania style ('Metroidvania', post SotN). SotN itself gets a pass because it was the first in that style and has some kickass songs, but most of the portable shit that came after is decline, EXCEPT for Order of Ecclesia, which is my favourite of the new CV games by a very large margin. It's a tough game.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Divine Divinity is at least alliterative. DD is a curious short name.

MDK is only leading to Murder Death Kill. Most stupid juvenile name ever.
Hint: It's never officially stated what MDK actually stands for. MDK standing for Murder Death Kill is only a theory. A game theory.

This. There was hubbub about it 20 years ago what the name stood for, but no one ever said anything in an official capacity.

Welcome to edgy ad campaigns of the 1990s, and congratulations on being the latest victim to fall for one of them.

Walden

Savant
Playing the first Castlevania for NES. Last stage. How am I supposed to do without savestates? I'm running out of lives, goddamned Grim Reaper boss.
:negative:

Walden

Savant
Yeah, yeah, fuck you.
iz2rbLz.png

It's a matter of principle.
roCDzo2.png

ta1UA9H.png

____________:stupid:

ndRkGwV.png

:dance:

I kinda miss that sucker now..

Cadmus

Arcane
Tried shadow warrior 2013 since it was on sale. Boring as fuck. Hate 1st person melee its the most retarded concept ever. At least wang is funny.

It pains me that a game with such a stellar plot as MDK is saddled with a silly name.

The game tells the story of Kurt Hectic, a janitor who reluctantly must attempt to save Earth from an alien invasion of gigantic strip mining city-size vehicles named "Minecrawlers". These Minecrawlers are removing all of earth's natural resources, and crush any people and cities that get in their way. Aided by his boss, the possibly insane inventor and scientist Dr. Fluke Hawkins, and a robotic two-legged/four-armed dog named Bones, Kurt must infiltrate each Minecrawler, and fight his way to the pilot, whom he must then kill before returning to Hawkins' in-orbit space station, the Jim Dandy.

Perkel

Arcane
Never finished SS1. Played it like 18 years ago. So i gave it a go and holy fuck it is so good even now.
That music. Love that everything has description. Also love the UI. Love that there is whole config before you start game so you can tune as you want with outright switching off completely story to full on no combat game.

h5IV3RJ.jpg

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Idk if it's the Steam version or what but the sound quality is pretty bad. Crackling after every little noise. Has anyone else experienced this while playing Hexen?

You are running the game through the dosbox ? That's how the Doom 2 is running natively on Steam.

I would recommend using a source port instead to get rid of sound problems and have more smooth experience overall.

https://zdoom.org/files/zdoom/2.8/zdoom-2.8.1.zip

Grab the Zdoom and put it into your Heretic folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o68iafxaisjify7/ZDL.zip?dl=0

Then do it the same with the ZDL frontend for Zdoom.

Rename the ZDL.exe to dosbox.exe to run game through Steam. Add the heretic.wad in the "Settings - Associations" and Zdoom.exe in the tab "Source port/Engines". Since you won't be using any additional mods just exit ZDL. Run Hexen from Steam, don't mind the difficulty settings, you can change after launching the game anyway.

This worked great. Thanks for the help.

Ivan

Arcane
So I just finished The Last of Us and while I thoroughly enjoyed the storytelling, the terse dialogue, the jump cut motif, the sublte but get soundtrack, I can't but help shake my disappointment with the gameplay. The combat is fine, damn good actually. I love lethal combat and here it's pretty damn brutal. Resources were scarce enough to make me feel upgrades were there just to motivate the player to spend their loot. Melee combat was also very satisfying, by and large due to the great sound. My biggest gripes with it are when the game decides it's "walking time" and when you can actually sprint and explore. My biggest gripe is that when the game isn't doing combat or walking time, the game resorts to the most boring platforming I've ever seen in a game. Pick up a plank, slowly walk with it to X and place it. The game repeats this shit throughout the whole game. I really hope they shake things up next time around but who am I kidding, as long as this is aiming at the mainstream there's no way they're doing larger hub levels, a la Metro. A shame. I entered every house spamming the pick up button bc I didn't want to bother to "slow walk" back for anything I may have missed. All in all it's an excellent piece of entertainment, particularly for its well told story and combat, but the other half of the gameplay is severely lacking.
:3/5:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished GMDX v8.0 and boy, the gap "from rookie to killing machine" is even higher than vanilla. Like Unatco troop from 1st map said "like a knife through hot butter" up to 11.
"Halved ammo" option is not an issue when you find that duplicating items bug is still there and on top of that - it can multiply ammunition if there is spare mag somewhere on the ground or shelf.

One thing that's worth noting - level redesign is made with head. My biggest nightmare - Paris Catacombs - went redesing and made chambers and corridors more varies so you won't get lost.
I still remember even more retarded clusterfucked tunnels from Revision, can't believe they made shit like this and call it a day...

Can't believe that first mission in Fallout Tactics Enclave mod took me few hours of attempts, then I found there is 20 more and there is nobody in the base to sell your loot I just dropped it.
Still - helluva good mod. Gave :decline: for not working motorbikes (I got keys, sit in but nothing worked).

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I only now realized that the reason I couldn't try my hand at Quake: Arcane Dimensions w/ the QuakeSpasm sourceport on my new PC because mouse aiming felt incredibly fucked was because I had VSync enabled all this time.
:despair:

Verstuurd vanaf mijn GT-I9301I met Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom