Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
MDK was a gimmick shooter with occasional shit platforming in which you basically never need to aim. The entire game was also about 1.5 hour long (not exaggerating).
I bet most people who "fondly remember" the game only played the demo with the first level or something. It did have a kickass intro and a pumping soundtrack at the start.

MDK provided the most funny and unexpected story with the mix of shooting and platform game. The level bulding, strange alien enemies and bizzare humour were a big part of the success of it. The chaingun + sniper rifle as a main weapons plus various ammo and power ups are enough to not bore the player. And let's not forget about bombing or skating sections, plus dropping down from orbits and the Earthworm Jim - like moment with the "race". MDK is one of the best action games of the 90's period. Tommy Tallarico made impressive soundtrack that still holds nice, add to this mixture a great sound desing and you've got a whole package. Oh, and like JC said, you need to 6-7 hours to beat it.

:love:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
The entire game was also about 1.5 hour long (not exaggerating).
You are fucking retarded. Some speedrunners completed in 1,5 hours, but we all know people don't play games like speedrunners.
Eh? I replayed it a couple years ago. 2 hours according to Steam (including setting it up). Some (all?) levels featured a time limit as well.
I don't believe you. I don't remember any time limit, you might be talking about the wrong game.

Zenith

Arbiter
I don't believe you.
Oh no! :(
Anyway, I remember getting some kind of game over screen when taking too long on a level with a submarine (back when it was first released).

[edit] from the manual:
a.png

And yeah, no, 6-7 hours is Unreal or Half-Life. MDK has like 5 levels total. Come on, men.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
MDK was a very original shooter with a really interesting atmosphere, visuals and a huge variation on levels. Anyone picking it has the feeling of playing a mysterious psychedelic trip, you faggits should play it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
From time to time there are games that the Codex doesn't see (or hasn't seen yet) a reason to make specific threads about because there isn't a need for it.

Not because the game is shit. Quite the contrary.

Does the RPG Codex have a Super Mario Bros thread? (I haven't looked.)

MDK was huge in the mid-90s. A "FPS game from the makers of Earthworm Jim" was all the tagline the game needed, but it also had this big ad campaign teasing what the abbreviation stood for (so edgy).

Then
the screenshots and previews came rolling in, and people were hyped. Then the game itself landed and while it was popular and people enjoyed it, it also kinda got lost in the deluge of "big" games that followed and fell off the radar, especially in hindsight now in the 21st century.

But mostly it's because of the Bioware-made sequel from 1999. I'm not kidding, it's a Bioware game. And it sucks. Instead of 1 protagonist you have 3, and each protagonist gets only 3 levels for themselves. So you get a sequel that's at best only 1/3 a MDK game. Earthworm Jim 3D also tanking at roughly the same time had a saying in sinking Shiny Entertainment and its legacy.

But yeah, thanks for showing you weren't around in the 1990s.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FML, I spent an hour killing the Balor Guardian. I died after 40 minutes on my first try. (I reload if someone dies.)

Mustawd

The fucking hell is wrong with The Codex these last days? Not knowing about MDK.

Never heard of it here in the states. Must have been huge outside the U.S. cuz there was little if any coverage here that I remember.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
The fucking hell is wrong with The Codex these last days? Not knowing about MDK. I swear, you kids are going to give me a stroke. Fuck you. FUCK. Motherfuckers.
3 years from now Codex will view New Vegas as an old school classic, no one will remember Morrowind and Fallout 1/2 will move in archaic category. Time flies...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I see MDK was reviewed in Computer Gaming World, which I must have read. I guess I read the review, dismissed it due to its 3rd person view, and then forgot it due to its absolutely forgettable name.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Playing Hexen right now. First time. Pretty fun.

Idk if it's the Steam version or what but the sound quality is pretty bad. Crackling after every little noise. Has anyone else experienced this while playing Hexen?

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Reached Circle of Eight content. Everything I do from now on is completely new to me.

To balance the incline, I am helping my little cousin beat Invizimals. What you do for family.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Idk if it's the Steam version or what but the sound quality is pretty bad. Crackling after every little noise. Has anyone else experienced this while playing Hexen?

You are running the game through the dosbox ? That's how the Doom 2 is running natively on Steam.

I would recommend using a source port instead to get rid of sound problems and have more smooth experience overall.

https://zdoom.org/files/zdoom/2.8/zdoom-2.8.1.zip

Grab the Zdoom and put it into your Heretic folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o68iafxaisjify7/ZDL.zip?dl=0

Then do it the same with the ZDL frontend for Zdoom.

Rename the ZDL.exe to dosbox.exe to run game through Steam. Add the heretic.wad in the "Settings - Associations" and Zdoom.exe in the tab "Source port/Engines". Since you won't be using any additional mods just exit ZDL. Run Hexen from Steam, don't mind the difficulty settings, you can change after launching the game anyway.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron

You are running the game through the dosbox ? That's how the Doom 2 is running natively on Steam.

I would recommend using a source port instead to get rid of sound problems and have more smooth experience overall.

https://zdoom.org/files/zdoom/2.8/zdoom-2.8.1.zip

Grab the Zdoom and put it into your Heretic folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o68iafxaisjify7/ZDL.zip?dl=0

Then do it the same with the ZDL frontend for Zdoom.

Rename the ZDL.exe to dosbox.exe to run game through Steam. Add the heretic.wad in the "Settings - Associations" and Zdoom.exe in the tab "Source port/Engines". Since you won't be using any additional mods just exit ZDL. Run Hexen from Steam, don't mind the difficulty settings, you can change after launching the game anyway.

Yeah, Steam runs Hexen through DOSBbX, same as Doom and anything else that ran through DOS. I'll give this method a try and let you know how it turns out. Thanks for the tip.

pippin

I am currently playing M&M1. I tried te Where Are We tool, and while it is indeed useful, I didn't liked how I was 90% looking at the WAW map instead of the actual game so I ditched it and just kept the cluebook open in another tab.
It's pretty fun. The premade party works really well. Still at Sorpigal though, I am going underground when my characters are level 3.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
Heroes of the Storm
I don't have any experience with MOBAs but I decided to try this one out when I heard about the big 2.0 update since it's supposed to be baby's first MOBA,had some fun so far playing against AI with coop and with AI companions,not bad

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
Heroes of the Storm
I don't have any experience with MOBAs but I decided to try this one out when I heard about the big 2.0 update since it's supposed to be baby's first MOBA,had some fun so far playing against AI with coop and with AI companions,not bad
Send friend request to Hoaxmetal #2929
We'll bang.

Walden

Savant
I want to get into the Castlevania series, what games should I pick first? Are there some remarkable remakes or missable entries?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom