Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yeah, I just did the Enclave, got a new friend, the plans, a brand new shining armour, a Plasma Rifle and lots of ammo for it, so I'm all set now. Turns out I didn't need to join the stupid Hubologists after all.

So now I guess it's time to head home, save the village, and return to San Fran (probably some detours first, though) where I have a hunch the tanker will take me to the final showdown on an oil platform (like one of the "24" series).

No Wanamingos yet.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Octavius is skipping out on a lot of content. Good, more fun for the next playthrough.

Wanamingos are mostly in Redding, yes. But occasionally in random encounters in the area between there and San Francisco, except there they're called by their "true" name. ;)

(Don't spoil them for octavius, I want them to be a surprise for him.)

pippin

Yeah, I played FO2 a long time ago, so my memories are very fuzzy. I'm not in a position to spoil anything.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
You should have summoned Sunbro Solaire for assistance.
tumblr_o3kyfyyDqq1u7qbbco1_500.png

It's also possible to summon Lautrec of Carim for that fight, but no-one wants help from Lautrec.

I didn't know where to find Humanity, and I had already spent mine... The game is harsh, and I'm just not used to this type of gameplay. I like to "grind" enemies to get used to their attack patterns.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Found a nice cache of Gauss and laser/plasma ammo underneath the Toxic Caves.
I think I'll make a second more or less clockwise sweep of the entire area again, ending some unfinished business before landing in SF or Navarro. Only major place I haven't visited is Redding. I get the impression from UC that it's teh hard, so maybe it wasn't a bad idea to skip it the first time.

Still bugs that I missed out whole areas in Gecko, but it was dark and hard to see.
Which reminds me...there aren't excactly many places to rent a room (with or without a hooker) in this game (but lots of toilets).

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Found a nice cache of Gauss and laser/plasma ammo underneath the Toxic Caves.
I think I'll make a second more or less clockwise sweep of the entire area again, ending some unfinished business before landing in SF or Navarro. Only major place I haven't visited is Redding. I get the impression from UC that it's teh hard, so maybe it wasn't a bad idea to skip it the first time.

If you have Gauss weapons, power armor and such then those 'mingos aren't going to be too much of a problem. It's more about the "dafuq?"-factor.

As for possible other undiscovered locations:

# The Wright family in New Reno are looking for a good man to scout out a pre-war installation.
# The Mordinos have an errand that needs doing that'll take you to a vast graveyard. *Morricone theme plays*
# There are four locations from Fallout 1 you can visit. IIRC the last one can be tricky to get marked on the map.

dunno lah

Arcane
Finished Megami Tensei 1 on the SNES.

I took quite a long time to finish the game, playing it on and off throughout the last two months. I really liked the whole presentation of the game, but when it came to the moment-to-moment gameplay, I found it quite barebones. The game is just about exploring the whole map/maze which gets boring as there are so few points of interest and plenty of dead ends and the environments are all pretty one-note which like I said can get boring to navigate. The combat is pretty simplistic too. Even with all the variety of cool-looking foes, they mostly fight the same way which is attack, attack and attack. There are some trickier demon mobs that have level-draining abilities which was irritating to say the least. I think my main dude got drained 5 times, owing to some shitty luck as I got drained before my tetraja(drain blocking spell) could be cast.

These combat issues really came to a head when I reached the Rotting Sea of Flames.(How fucking cool is that name, huh?) This dungeon was just so damn long that half-way through, I was strong enough to just auto attack everything. This wouldn't be so annoying if the encounter rate wasn't so damn high. From that point on, the pace was off and it just became a slog for me. Even with all the puzzles coming in at that point of the game. My party was practically on autopilot the whole time, just slowly pushing to the final boss and ending the thing.

Oh right...boss battles. They're just as bad if not worse than the trash mobs as most offensive spells just reflect off them and back to you. So the only strategy is to just attack and heal and hope this slow process finishes before you run out of MP to heal.

I know I am just ragging on the game, and I don't know if all dungeon crawlers are essentially supposed to play like this. I've only played one other blobber which was Shining in the Darkness, which was pretty similar to this game but the mobs were definitely more challenging at the end and the dungeon floors were bigger and had far less "dead ends with no treasure".

It is unlikely that I'll come back to this game despite its great music and aesthetics cause the game just takes too long and I'll likely burn out, at the raging hellfires in the sea of flames. (Man, that was a really cool dungeon, which ultimately threw off the whole progression and pacing of the game.)

DeepOcean

Arcane
Playing Dragon's Dogma, too early to have a definitive impression but it is kinda... meh so far. I'm still on the starting area of the game so things could become better later but so far, oh boy, Dragons Dogma is a weird game. It is like Oblivion, Dark Souls and Dragon Age had an baby and it is kinda of a weird mutant kid.

From Oblivion, you have the very familiar european aesthetics open world where you go killing the familiar spiders, wolves, bandits and goblins. From Dark Souls, you have the physicality of combat and the enemies with deliberate patterns of attack that can be quite punishing. From Dragon Age, you have real time combat with companions that travel with you.

It is a mess as you can expect from such a mixture. The familiar fantasy environments won't create any interest on any jaded RPG player, the characters and plot are non-existant so far and that means that right after some huge ass dragon rips your heart, you need to go killing goblins and bandits for hours while you wonder all the time WTF is going on this place? It is like you dropped on the middle of a DnD session and nobody bothered explaining what WTF is happening.

The combat is inspired by Dark Souls with each hit leaving a meaty hitting sound and enemies reacting to impact, it is a combat systems that is far more deliberate than something like Witcher 3 with its spamming rolling/dodge to win as you need to pay attention to what enemies are doing as the enemy design is excellent and you have an stamina bar that is a real obstacle for you spamming your abilities.

However, I kinda don't see the point to have an incline combat like this if you are going to have immortal AI controlled companions that follow you around healing, buffing and distracting the enemies. Just let the pawns do their things distracting the enemies while you pound them with attacks and when they "die" just press E to revive them, it is a winning strategy, worse, it is an easy winning strategy. Obviously, I'm at the start of the game and didn't face any really tough enemies but the easy combat on the beginning kinda makes the start of the game that is boring from an story point of view and aesthetically point of view to have a boring gameplay too.

It isn't a tactical game because you can't control your party members and the Ai controlled companions make the combat in the game, beyond hitting things hard, kinda pointless easy for many fights.

I hate the game? Hard to say as the game has its merits and I'm willing to play more to see if they are going to make the game interesting. I like how there are more dangerous enemies at night than day and that there are certain ingredients that you can only find at night. I did some simple dungeon under a well that had a pretty cool area design that was pretty cool even if small and I like how enemies can inflinct all kinds of status effects on you, you have the feeling of you exploring a DnD dungeon.

Kinda feel "meh" so far ,we will see if things improve.

Last edited:
1. You can play without pawns.
2. DD's interpretation of 'classic' D&D beasts is second to none, and some fights are truly awe-inspiring.
3. The open world aspect is easily the worst element of the game. Forget the Oblivion parallel bullshit. You play DD for the responsive combat, decent skill system and awesome fights.
4. The well is your first good taste of the game, every play session should feel like a self-contained hack and slash D&D session where you go somewhere and fight some cool monsters.
5. The best part of the game is Bitterback Isle, but playing through the base game is fun if you don't approach it thinking it's a Bethtard style open world.
6. Don't do any of the bulletin board quests, they're all a waste of time and will probably annoy you.

laclongquan

Arcane

deuxhero

Arcane
Tried the ARMA 3 Freelancers mod, which basically puts the concept for Far Cry 2/3's open world missions in an engine with gameplay worth a damn. It's pretty neat, though early missions seem to throw a lot of bad guys at you (I'm playing with RHS mods on top of it, so the early dictator goons have older AKs with some modern export ones thrown in) with objectives to kill them all, which makes it super unfriendly for Iron Man.

edit: Was fun, but the scripting has proven unstable.

Great Deceiver
What filters are you using?

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
3. The open world aspect is easily the worst element of the game. Forget the Oblivion parallel bullshit. You play DD for the responsive combat, decent skill system and awesome fights.
4. The well is your first good taste of the game, every play session should feel like a self-contained hack and slash D&D session where you go somewhere and fight some cool monsters.
Noticed the game is at its best when you go dungeon crawling killing monsters and getting the lewt, sometimes reminded me of Gothic, the creatures are really well done too. Just two quick questions. Is it worthy playing on hard mode? Being one shot by goblin trash seems excessive. Can you multiclass or when you change your class or you lose all the shit you invested on the old class? Really thinking on changing difficulty to normal and playing the game solo. The pawns are kinda like when you summon an spirit on Dark Souls, it works, but somehow feels like cheating.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Noticed the game is at its best when you go dungeon crawling killing monsters and getting the lewt, sometimes reminded me of Gothic, the creatures are really well done too. Just two quick questions. Is it worthy playing on hard mode? Being one shot by goblin trash seems excessive. Can you multiclass or when you change your class or you lose all the shit you invested on the old class? Really thinking on changing difficulty to normal and playing the game solo. The pawns are kinda like when you summon an spirit on Dark Souls, it works, but somehow feels like cheating.

You play as one class at a time.
Meaning you can switch classes, you won't be able to use the active abilities, but you can keep the augments equipped. You won't lose anything that you've unlocked for classes.

The game is built for multiclassing really, you keep the passive abilities of your previous classes if you want to slot them. The pawns seem really overpowered at first, but they're really not amazing later on and sometimes a bit of a liability. Playing without them is definitely harder, though.

Restart on normal mode, hard mode was an afterthought and it's really poorly implemented.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Playing Dragon's Dogma, too early to have a definitive impression but it is kinda... meh so far. I'm still on the starting area of the game so things could become better later but so far, oh boy, Dragons Dogma is a weird game. It is like Oblivion, Dark Souls and Dragon Age had an baby and it is kinda of a weird mutant kid.

From Oblivion, you have the very familiar european aesthetics open world where you go killing the familiar spiders, wolves, bandits and goblins. From Dark Souls, you have the physicality of combat and the enemies with deliberate patterns of attack that can be quite punishing. From Dragon Age, you have real time combat with companions that travel with you.
Although Dragon's Dogma, due to being released in 2012, was frequently compared by game reviewers to Dark Souls and Skyrim, it really draws from Capcom's '90s fantasy beat-'em-ups but turned into an RPG, with combat influenced by Capcom's Devil May Cry series, Capcom's Monster Hunter series, Sony's Shadow of the Colossus, and From Software's Demon's Souls. The initial intention for the game was for it be truly Open World, inspired by Oblivion and Morrowind, but this was dropped fairly early in production, and the world was reduced to one-third of its originally-planned size. As a remnant of the Open World concept, you can spend a lot of time even at the beginning of the game wandering around the countryside, but it's largely pointless, as the main quest and a handful of important side quests will take you to every notable location in the game, and if you waste time strolling the countryside aimlessly you might get bored fighting trash mobs when there are better things to be doing.

I don't recommend playing on hard mode, certainly not your first time through. If you were playing on normal mode, the first fight that's at all challenging will likely be the group of Saurians in the caverns beneath the well. The side quest that sends you searching for Quina in the Witchwood will take you past groups of bandits, the last of which are overlevelled relative to a new character and should make for the first truly tough fight. As you keep playing, you'll encounter more variety of enemies, and it's the larger, powerful foes where the combat of Dragon's Dogma really shines.

As for changing vocations, when you enter Gran Soren as part of the main quest (which happens quickly, at the beginning of Stage 2), you (and your pawn) will be able to change vocations by speaking to the innkeeper, Asalam. You can also initiate the Bitterblack Isle expansion and change vocations by speaking with the NPC outside the dungeon. These are the only two ways of changing vocations in the entire game. Some skills are used by multiple vocations, and if you've already unlocked a skill then you won't need to spend discipline points for it again. You will effectively 'lose' the discipline points you invested in skills that can't be used by your new vocation, though of course you might switch back later (or to a third vocation that uses some of those skills). Also, all augments that you've acquired in a vocation can be used even after changing to a different vocation, so discipline points spent on augments are never completely wasted except to the extent that you can only use six augments at a time and that some augments are only useful for certain vocations (e.g. a few augments improve bow use, which is only useful for striders, rangers, magick archers, and bow-wielding assassins).

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Playing Tides of Numanuma. Good writing, somewhat standard quest design but it works, especially since the setting is so weird and alien (to me anyways). I'm trying to resolve quests as peacefully as possible and it seems that you have that possibility with almost every quest, that's good. The game seems to have lots of C&C as well. I'm really enjoying the game up until now.

Did some MGR : Revengeance, finally. Rdiculously over the the top and I like it.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
On console, I'm playing Grandia. Despite the game being a bit on the easy side, I still rate the combat system highly. I wish we saw more jrpgs use this type of system.

On PC, I am playing The Temple of Elemental Evil. I got myself a house in Nulb and then tried to beat a certain encounter in there. I couldn't even kill a single enemy before I got wiped. The priest, spell-caster and assassin combination decimates me. I'm now cleaning house on the second floor of the actual temple.

First time I play with the Circle of Eight fix pack. Also my first time running a 6 man custom made party.

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
On console, I'm playing Grandia. Despite the game being a bit on the easy side, I still rate the combat system highly. I wish we saw more jrpgs use this type of system.
I really like this combat system.
Just in case, Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 & 4 use this system.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I really like this combat system.
Just in case, Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 & 4 use this system.
Yeah, I played them and found some enjoyment because of that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom