Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I got Mass Effect 2 now that it was for free.
Kill yourself. For playing this turd and for playing as female shepard.
I'm sorry to hear you didn't like the game. Was it because you were disappointed with the way your choices were reflected in the game? I don't know if you're familiar with BioWare games, but I've read that two people playing the same game could have dramatically different experiences because the sheer amount of choice and reactivity in these games, and it might take up to seven playthroughs to fully appreciate the complex narrative. At this point I'm thinking that Mass Effect 2 does live up to its 0 € price tag, but it's only my first playthrough so I'm not really qualified to judge the game as a whole yet.

As for your second point, I'm sorry if I've offended you in any way, although it does seem a bit odd to have such strong opinions on this aspect of the game if you consider it to be a turd anyway. In my defense I only saw two options during character creation, "Cardboard Box" and "Female", which seemed rather unorthodox to me, and since I'm not sure how to even begin roleplaying a cardboard box I chose to go with the latter option.

thesoup

Arcane
This is the most pathetic attempt at a comeback I've ever had the misfortune of witnessing.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
I'm replaying Dark Corners of the Earth. Great game, but I had forgotten how fucking often it crashes on certain cutscenes...

edit
CUTSCENES AND FUCKING MOVING CRATES AND SHELVES

Last edited:

kris

Arcane
I got Mass Effect 2 now that it was for free.
Kill yourself. For playing this turd and for playing as female shepard.
I'm sorry to hear you didn't like the game. Was it because you were disappointed with the way your choices were reflected in the game? I don't know if you're familiar with BioWare games, but I've read that two people playing the same game could have dramatically different experiences because the sheer amount of choice and reactivity in these games, and it might take up to seven playthroughs to fully appreciate the complex narrative. At this point I'm thinking that Mass Effect 2 does live up to its 0 € price tag, but it's only my first playthrough so I'm not really qualified to judge the game as a whole yet.

As for your second point, I'm sorry if I've offended you in any way, although it does seem a bit odd to have such strong opinions on this aspect of the game if you consider it to be a turd anyway. In my defense I only saw two options during character creation, "Cardboard Box" and "Female", which seemed rather unorthodox to me, and since I'm not sure how to even begin roleplaying a cardboard box I chose to go with the latter option.

You should have taken the "renegade" option IMO.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Finished Dungeon Rats and enjoyed it more then AoD.

Also finished Adventures of Nep Nep 2, which was pretty fun but a bit too long.

Now Im playing Adventures of Nep Nep 3, Rimworld and just installed XCOM2 (didnt like the first one maybe this one will be better).

Modron

Arcane
Just finished PoE and DR off so palette cleansing with Dropsy, Hard West, and Xcom 2 although since long war just got released probably going to rush this vanilla run to completion.

Perkel

Arcane
Current mo:

- Dragon Quest 8 on 3ds. I tried it once on PS2 but i found it garbage back then mostly due to really fucking slow everything (combat movement etc). This port fixes those issues and i think this will be one of my favorite JRPG. Reason: One of very very very few comedy rpgs. Seriously DQ8 reminds me of Dragon Ball (not Z or GT) where they don't fight. Expressions are most hilarious of all thing in it. I almost died of laughing watching bar fight cutscene. Which is something i really really really don't remember doing like 10-20 years now (early adventure games like Larry, Day of Tentacle).
I must say that English VO is one of the best i heard and orchestral music is simply superb all around. It is a shame that combat system is a bit simple. With better combat this could be legit best JRPG ever.

- No More Heroes. I found on Allegro (polish ebay) Wii console for like 30$ and i wanted to try NMH for a looong while and....

IT IS FUCKING AMAZING. No seriously. I am like 20-30 minutes into game but i must say it is more fun (by that i mean fun, funny amazing) that anything i played in like last 5 years.

Just look how game start. No menu, no press start just play already !:

I have downloaded ppsspp emulator and torrented a psp rpg collection with over 30 psp games to try out.

Personal picks for you:

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together (THE BEST SRPG)
Final Fantasy Tactics: War of Lions (if you will like above)
Monster Hunter 3rd (with translation pack). Best best version of Monster Hunter unless you have 3DS
Locoroco. (weird but fun platformer, really weird, like wtf is this weird... but fun as hell)
Patapon1-3 (rythm based strategy game, really well done and has proper depth)
Persona3 (if PS2 emulator works like shit, other wise PS2 FES version is superior)
Disgaea (also SRPG but from other side of planet. really really really really big end game content 100s of hours)

yeah I'm done with this shit, Monster Hunter freedom is bullshit

Drop MH Freedom. MH Freedom is old version of MH.
I started with Freedom Unite (ultimate version of what you played) and i also burned quickly myself on same bullshit.

If you are beginner i advice you to start playing with PSP game Monster Hunter 3rd in PPSSPP emulator.
Or Monster Hunter Tri on Wii emulator Dolphin.
Also almost all of those gathering quest can be completely ignored

In my case Monster Hunter Tri is what made the difference i started to love MH games.

Also super important TIP. Every MH games is divided into LOW RANK, HIGH RANK and G RANK (only Ultimate versions of game).

LOW rank is basically tutorial and story mode for new players.
HIGH RANK is where meat of the game is and monsters no longer are pushovers, they can do more moves, are faster, stronger, better and you are the one usually hunted in fight.
G-Rank is for really experienced and monsters there are absolutely no joke.

Like i said start with Monster Hunter 3rd on PSP using PPSSPP emulator (which is awesome and runs of everything). Ignore story because it will be either way in japanese (all ui is translated along with quest objectives items etc).
You can even play online that version using emulator.

sullynathan

Arcane
Perkel I dropped mh freedom but picked it back up. I'm on 4 star normal rank now but I wouldn't mind too much with just dropping the game. I have tried MH tri on my desktop but the game runs poorly on my laptop so I will stay with portable 3rd for now.

Jarmaro

Liturgist
At this moment I decided to try Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. "It looks nice, has open world, dynamic combat... what did I stopped playing?"
At first it looked really good, despite childish fantasy world. Possibility of commiting crimes like stealing or murdering was good as well, freedom is always good. But at some moment I realized why I didn't finish the game. Movement for instance, you can only run and sprint.

You can't jump, which in such a big world full of shortcuts you could made is annoying, you can't move slowly. Scenery is pretty, so I wanted to watch it slowly, not running all the time.
But views are good. Very big locations (in scale, not in place you can go) with original setting.

Open world? Yes, but after some hours you realize it's just big locations connected with little paths. Even worse is that despite being big, locations feel corridor, map which showing you only part you can walk on even intensifies this feeling.

Combat? Enemies aren't stupid, that's good. It's mostly based on reflex and timing. For some hours I enjoyed it. But soon it became boring. Shielding mechanic was probably so important that every class has it's own type of shield, only diffrence is appearance. Fighting looks cool and you can really can feel which weapon you use, many weapons you can use. As mage I could use scepter (machine pistol), staffs (slow but powerful on medium distance) and chakrams (fast discs you are throwing).

Too bad at some point enemies started cheating. If you dodged too soon, they may in unbelievable way change direction into you. Even when hitbox doesn't much for real. Mages are most annoying shit I endured in my last months of playing, they throw at you missiles that you can't dodge, mostly 3 waves and they change directions so fast you can dodge at most 2 (mage shield doesn't protect much damage so it's pretty useless). And they start casting again at once. Even harder when you are fighting with more than 3 enemies. Dodging is broken, you possibly can dodge, but each attack or spell cast animation leaves you unprotected for too long and you can't move. And enemies aren't slow. At some point in main quest mission gam ethrew at me 2 mages and one mini-boss plus some trash. Annoying beyond limit. Of course you can simply fast roll at time and put only one or two hits at once. But first, it kills all dynamic, second, combat depends on making combos and moves so you cna;t really do that if you want play normally.

And don't say combat is hard. Mostly it's easy as fuck beceause majority of encounters are groups of 3-4 enemies. But when it tries to make something diffrent it drives you insane. Not challenging nor hard, simply irritating and frustrating.

Locations, skill bar, world design and other things straight say it's MMO. Even quest looks like designed for MMO. And as MMO game would be succes, as MMOs are mostly retarded in normal game aspects.

At some point for lulz I wanted to kill entire guild of warriors. Game let me, so I was happy. Too bad they didn't give me exp nor loot. But it was an insult when I came back and realized the quest givers and important characters simply went back from dead. No matter how many times you kill them, it doesn't matter. Game straight lies in your face telling "You can" while you can't.

Main quest is just go and kill, all time, no stops. I probably won't launch it anymore, 12 hours is enough. If I rushed it could end it in probably 8h~, but it's not worth it.

Because storyfags have no standards whatsoever

I suspect most storyfags don't read books.

I read hundreds of books and I've stopped carring about stories in games long time ago, you just can't. I simply treat them like autists. They may look like real stories, but they are so bad that I purposefully turn off my brain. Seeing people arguing about stories in games mostly looks like people arguing over what's better to eat, gravel or ground.

Perkel

Arcane
Perkel I dropped mh freedom but picked it back up. I'm on 4 star normal rank now but I wouldn't mind too much with just dropping the game. I have tried MH tri on my desktop but the game runs poorly on my laptop so I will stay with portable 3rd for now.

BTW if you install Evolve client and configure your PPSSPP properly you can properly play online in MH 3rd in that emulator

here is guide:
http://forums.ppsspp.org/showthread.php?tid=12306

guide is old and you can safely ignore ALT speed stuff as game works without it and you don't need to limit your fps when you connect.

Once you set up everything it will be as easy as talking in evolve chat (where there is strong pc mh community) and choosing which guild hall you meet as everyone will be using more or less same network

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I'm playing that too, on an Android phone tho.

Hopefully MH5 will be PC too title.

Only i think mh from capcom games isn't on pc
They even made a PC MMO for the Japanese market that was a moderate success. It's just not a huge hit on the west, they barely make an effort to market it compared to the fever that's in Japan. It's almost the only franchise Capcom is making money off these days, and you can see it by the treatment they give to their other big names: Resident Evil, Dead Rising, Street Fighter... low effort shovelware.

spekkio

Arcane
Finished Castlevania - Aria of Sorrow

Good:
- Probably most fun I've got with a 'Vania since... Rondo?
- Polished to the max: difficulty is just "right" for normies, you can finally sell almost all collectibles, both magic and equipment system finally makes sense.
- You can access all teleports using any of them. No retarded backtracking like in Harmony.
- New skill system is fun to use.
- Castle's size is just right. Same with design: not too open, no artificial barriers.
- Most boss battles are fun.
- Bonus modes look interesting (Julius!).

Ugly:

- Fixed set of monsters in areas - Circle was better in this department, with new monsters showing up in old areas after some time.
- Difficulty comes rather from environment than monsters, esp. after some time. There are only few really brutal areas, mostly the ones you have to travel through, while being constantly raped by respawning, irritating enemies (stoning heads!).
- Some boss battles aren't fun (the final one).
- Too easy for hardcorefags. Incline when compared to Harmony, which was lacking any challenge whatsoever.

Bad:
- Bishis?
- Story is kinda
rating_retarded.png

Verdict: Fantastic game, highly recommended, esp. as an entry point to the Metroidvania games.

:4/5:

Starwars

Arcane
Playing some Shadowrun: Hong Kong on and off. Really enjoy the Shadowrun games, think they are perfect "low-effort" games. And I just adore the setting.

Also replaying SOMA which I like more and more actually. It is slightly too walking simulator-esque (though I certainly wouldn't call it a walking simulator) for my tastes but it is extremely well-crafted. Visual and sound design are just top notch and the story is really well done though there are some bumps here and there. But I think you can really tell that there was a lot of effort put into the game. It feels very thought through.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Playing the Witcha 3 again now that I bought it at discount on Steam. Honestly, I prefered they kept the scope of Witcher 3 on the same size of Witcher 2, the open world approach really doesnt benefit this game, it just overstretch the game with content that could be easily cut. All those little witcher contracts, I would happily exchange them for two or so more extended quest lines.

The game needed some editting too, on Witcher 2, the plot moved at a constant pace with things happening all the time, the main quest of Witcher 3 feels like a over long fetch quest. The quest line on Novigrad was for sure the worst of the game with a convoluted chase for Dandelion that took forever for you to just know Ciri was doing some misterious stuff and gone for Skellige.

The combat too, they needed some layers of complexity and challenge for their combat to be interesting, the way things are, the combat is too straightfoward, while many enemies have different behaviors, you can win pretty much everything easily through brute force what makes the different enemy behaviors kinda redundant on guaranteeing challenge and varied gameplay.

The most striking example of this is a pretty interesting quest to kill the giant at Undvik, they hype up the giant as some badass motherfucker that pretty much destroyed a whole island and wwhen you face him he is just an oversized cyclops that dies easily. I was hoping a really epic fight ended on an anticlimatic one with me doing 1000 damage by second on him with Igni. This is far from an isolated case, it is a pattern on the whole game.

The leveling system and the loot system all suffer from questionable design decisions, why if my character is level 20 and the enemy is level 26, he is one hit killing machine that suddenly becomes a push over when I'm level 21? Why the loot is so leveled up? Why Witcher sets are so powerful incomparison with everything else that there is no reason to wer anything else? Why the talents are mostly boring incremental linear upgrades instead of allowing for build diversity?

Despite the frustrations, the Witcher 3 is one of the rare games with naturalistic dialog with well done back and forth between characters that are fun to interact with and the game looks sometimes like an oil painting of how good the artistic direction is. I like the world, even if I find their dedication to be edgy grimdark a little over the top many times managing to look juvenile on many instances.

I didn't like that they kinda gone away from their folk lore with a twist approach of Velen for dangerously close to generic grimdark fantasy later, the Witcher series are at their best when they deal of themes close to the land, to the power of the land, of nature to inspire awe and terror on people. No wonder the best questline, the Red Baron one deals heavily from this , with the witchs of the swamp thing dealing with this fear of the forest, of the unknown.

To me, the Witcher series were at their best when they tried to be closer to the land like on Witcher 1 Act 3 and Witcher 3 Velen quest lines. I would be more than okay of the Witcher 3 being a story about you being an investigator dealing with folklore, dealing with myth based stories of rural folk but you need to go on epic storylines of saving the world to keep children interested these days.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom