Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
DE: Mankind Divided

Buggy at times (especially with the map and quest indicator), but really enjoying the level and mission design. Feels bigger and more open than HR. Characters are quite bland though, and the story hasn't kicked in yet.

Walden

Savant
Finished Betrayal at Krondor, awesome from the beginning to the end.
Combat is simple to understand and not too difficult to master, but it's deep and satisfying, and the variety of party members is just perfect, gameplay wise, but also in the narration they come with a perfect timing, pace and they're presented and developed in a very nice theatrical way. The lore is awesome, but the thing I liked most is the care in making gameplay mechanics to be so lore friendly.
GOG release has some problems with midi files though, and it's a shame because the soundtrack is fantastic("The betrayal":salute:):

Also Pug:5/5:

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Been playing MARIO Run. One thing I don't play is turn based anything, not even in chess do I take turns and I ALWAYS win by playing that way.

-the one

Jazz_

Arcane
JA2 1.13 at experienced difficulty is just ridiculous. Got Drassen after killing shitloads of enemies, I head for the next city and I get 6 enemies on the road, I take them out with considerable effort and savescumming (I find taking out enemies in open spaces quite difficult), I go to the next wilderness sector and I get 21 even better equipped enemies! what.the.fuck. Meanwhile I'm losing Drassen too sector by sector despite wasting some day training militia there and I'm also broke right now. Anyway I'm impressed with the AI in this game, I mean there are ways to exploit it a bit if you drag them into rooms etc, but they also behave intelligently quite often (like when they blast you in the face and get out of sight taking cover right after).

Erebus

Arcane
Finally playing The Witcher 2. Can't say I'm liking it much so far.

No, but seriously, WTF was wrong with whoever designed this game ? Interacting with the slightest thing is a pain in the ass, the controls can't be changed, the camera sucks and can't be changed, being unable to use potions outside of meditation is annoying, the many unopenable doors are ridiculous, the dialogue system is hardly better than Bioware's infamous wheel, and let's not even mention the fucking quick time events.

I won't deny that some things are an an improvement over TW1, but, so far, most of them seem to be worse.

Last edited:

Beowulf

Arcane
[...] being unable to use potions outside of meditation is annoying[...]

Not to mention the fact, that they can wear off during the cutscenes :negative:.

As for the rest of your woes - blame it on CD Project becoming infected with conslitis.

EDIT: But I actually liked the fact, that you had to prepare for combat beforehand in W1 and W2. They dropped the ball in that regard even further in W3.

Last edited:

Erebus

Arcane
As for the rest of your woes - blame it on CD Project becoming infected with conslitis.

I actually thought that the game had been developed for consoles first, and later poorly adapted for PC. But apparently, that's not the case.

Self-Ejected

Barnabas

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shitposter
Think I'm gonna replay all the rpgs on the 360 that I never finished so: dragons dogma, sacred 2, risen series. Once when I was a newb i was obsessed with finding a game like Oblivion as I wore it out. So I looked for other less rpgs to fill the void but couldn't finish them. So I'm gonna do that this year since nothing of value seems to be on the horizon.

I was playing through the ADwR module for NWN. First part was alright, the characters actually had some sort of personality and the scope of it all is commendable (and it's a bit of fun to catch all the ASoIaF references, moreso because you know the author didn't expect it to get as big as it is now). Second part is not so good and I don't expect to finish it.

Otherwise I've been playing some Battlefront because it was ~$30 including the season pass. I'm no FPS connoisseur and it gets the job done.

Krivol

Magister
I wanted some blobber so I decided to check two modern ones: Paper Sorcerer and Legend of Grimrock. Both are fine, actually playing as evil bastard in PS is fun but I think fights are not too challenging and are a bit jRPG-ish - I focused on defense/healing, and all finghts so far are rather easy but takes some time (so - they are bit boring).

LoG - it's really a great game. I know it's another "dancing simulator" in terms of fights but I have never been so scared of spiders since EoB11 , also puzzles are not so bad (still easier than in old blobbers).

sullynathan

Arcane
Can't believe I put in nearly 20 hours into Monster Hunter freedom in the past week. The combat is quite good but man does this game have some really retarded missions. The egg collections and mining missions are really stupid and I dislike how nearly every monster I've fought so far has been the same with a different color of paint that changes their fireball. The game heavily encourages farming which is bullshit. You'll have to beat a boss/monster several times just to get their loot and their fucking body might disappear before you can even carve the loot.
Anyone else who is familiar with this series, should I continue playing freedom, then move on to freedom unite, then portable 3rd and then monster hunter 3? or should some of these be skipped?

I also beat Onimusha. It's short, just under 5 hours long but the game declines hard. First, all the cutscenes are unskippable outside of the intro to the game. Then you have enemies and their shitty grabs, then you control your character with the D-pad instead of a joystick and the fixed camera can at times be a nuisance plus all the bosses are far too simple in their attack patterns except the 2nd boss and the 2nd to last boss. The final boss is pretty shitty too because he just stands there and takes hits while spamming attacks. If it wasn't for the fact that I downloaded the rest of the series and seen how the series progresses, I would have dropped the game.

spekkio

Arcane
I downloaded the rest of the series and seen how the series progresses...
It goes downhill from 1 to 3, then DoD is good, but sth more akin to DMC than previous games. May the force be with you, if you really plan on playing 'Mushas 2-4. :/

sullynathan

Arcane
It goes downhill from 1 to 3, then DoD is good, but sth more akin to DMC than previous games. May the force be with you, if you really plan on playing 'Mushas 2-4. :/
I tried all of them to see how well they run on PCSX2, surprisingly Dawn of Dreams runs better than Onimusha 3 and it finally adds joystick controls, good lock-on, simplified controls and camera controls which I wanted. I also downloaded the PC version of Onimusha 3 and compared it to the PCSX2 version and it looks better but no 1080p resolution and no controller option. I hope Onimusha 3 is good though, I like the art style.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Can't believe I put in nearly 20 hours into Monster Hunter freedom in the past week. The combat is quite good but man does this game have some really retarded missions. The egg collections and mining missions are really stupid and I dislike how nearly every monster I've fought so far has been the same with a different color of paint that changes their fireball. The game heavily encourages farming which is bullshit. You'll have to beat a boss/monster several times just to get their loot and their fucking body might disappear before you can even carve the loot.
Anyone else who is familiar with this series, should I continue playing freedom, then move on to freedom unite, then portable 3rd and then monster hunter 3? or should some of these be skipped?
There's a strategy for most of them. The first thing is to only do the key quests to unlock the next tier of monsters. Check a wiki for whichever version you're playing. Secondly, the game is grinding/farming with a core of boss fights. After a couple of hundreds of hours you can automate some of the resource grinding, but you'll still have to do the odd resources-only run.

The monsters do change vastly over time, but the first tier consists of Baggis, Jaggis and such to get you used to the controls before they throw you against The Wall, a Qurupeco Yian Kut-Ku. Once/when you beat it, you'll learn that's the kind of battle of attrition you'll experience for most monsters on your skill tier. Monsters become easier once you have weapons of the tier above them, and trivial (sub 15 minutes) on any tier afterwards.

sullynathan

Arcane
There's a strategy for most of them. The first thing is to only do the key quests to unlock the next tier of monsters. Check a wiki for whichever version you're playing. Secondly, the game is grinding/farming with a core of boss fights. After a couple of hundreds of hours you can automate some of the resource grinding, but you'll still have to do the odd resources-only run.

The monsters do change vastly over time, but the first tier consists of Baggis, Jaggis and such to get you used to the controls before they throw you against The Wall, a Querupeco.
I'm playing Monster Hunter freedom. The only quests I've done are the quests with stars given by the old man in the middle of town. I'm at 3 stars now. If this series is really about fighting monsters and using their body parts to build better armor/weapons then I like the idea. I did use some strategy like placing bombs and using traps and they can be useful in combat. What I really don't like is the farming and how annoying the game makes it. The randomness to just finding a claw from a Velocidrome after you kill one is stupid. Why doesn't the game just allow you to loot all pieces from a beast after you beat them instead of it being random? For example when I beat one velocidrome, why do I have a chance to get a combination of only 1 claw and one hide, or one hide and one teeth? Why can't I get 1 hide, tooth, claws and whatever all at once? Its stupid that the game expects you to kill the same boss multiple times just to get something stupid like a claw then farm another boss for multiple pieces again.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Got into Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance, which was quite entertaining, even some of the cinematic QTEs which take away your control were fucking cool because of the sweet presentation (RULES OF NATURE)
replayed this up to Very Hard, which also changes up enemy compositions quite nicely
gameplay is smooth as shit and parrying feels quite natural once you get the hang of it, the game however poorly explains it and doesn't really make you learn how to parry until you reach Monsoon
camera can be a pain in the ass though, considering the direction in which you have to parry is camera-relative and sometimes the camera just does its own thing when hitting a wall

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Spent an hour with "The Witness", the latest game from Jonathan Blow, the maker of Braid.

The game takes place on an island where you must determine what happened. You do this by exploring the nice-looking island and solving small maze puzzles everywhere.

While the introduction of puzzle elements is neat and easy, the sad fact is that there isn't anything here to offer a reason to play for too long. The puzzles get more complex, but there's no one to talk to and nothing else to do but walk around. The plot quickly devolves into "2deep4u" territory and stays there, which seems to be a trademark of everything Blow is involved with.

"Witness Paint Dry" is the best summary for this game.

kris

Arcane
I binged on survival builders. After hours in Rimworld I got two games on sale.

First I played "Sheltered" http://store.steampowered.com/app/356040/
Its a cute little game that is fairly fun for a while, but not worth more than the discounted price IMO. The UI is pretty bad and sometimes you fight with managing to click on your characters. Also the combat show no info at all and feels 100% random. Hilarious when my kid knocked out a grizzlybear with the first hit with a rock. Otherwise the survival aspect is done well and you pray to God for water sometimes.

Then I went for "this war of mine". A welldone game with obviously higher production values than the other one, Its a good game even if the limitations they put in makes it sometimes irritating. Clearly a interesting sojourn into a warzone and its "terror". I mostly just wished the characters had a bit of more personality and/or conflict internally. Having the kids DLC you directly note that a kid have more personality and interaction than all the grownups together. Even if the grownups do have one trait, they all feel the same. and the "war realism" is thrown out the window when you take out a armed soldier with the journalist woman using her fists as weapons.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom