Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

laclongquan

Arcane
If you know what you are doing, heading to San Mona could bring you ~40 k (maybe more, I am not sure - shop quest, selling guns to Tony, prize in fights, mine, kingpin), some armours and Steyr (and 1 or 2 commando IIRC) which is great at start.

Drassen is nice to get because of airport, but you can grab just square with airport and buy whatever you want, defending it from much easier attacks.

Dressen couterstrike can be handled by cheesy way (not sure if they didn't fixed it) or you can retreat and attack at night. Hard but doable.

I went to San Mona on my way to Chinxena, I read somewhere that San Mona is supposed to be ''friendly'' toward you because it's run by the mob and there is no army there but I got attacked by some npcs in the streets, what's up with that? Anyway I'm in Chinxena now, gonna deal with this city first and take that mine.

Do your light fingers take what's not yours in an abandoned mine next door? That's kingpin's stash and a killing offense.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Finished Unreal. I've never been a huge fan of of the game as a whole, although I'm definitely a fan of individual elements of it. The AI was of course a big deal back in the day, and especially the Skaarj AI is still better than in many (or most) newer shooters. Every enemy type behaves differently and has something that sets it apart from all the others. There's a ton of variety in the environments, and many parts of the game still look gorgeous. The level design is a bit uneven as a whole, but it has a lot of variety too, not only on the visual side but also in their layouts and level of complexity, ranging from some quite straightforward levels to more labyrinthine ones and everything in between. The high points are also pretty damn high, and the best levels combine really cool visuals with clever layouts and environmental storytelling done right.

I guess my main issue with the game has always been that the actual gunplay just isn't all that satisfying, which kind of is a big deal in an FPS. The weapons don't feel that great, even though all of them have alternate fire modes and a couple of them are rather creative, and every single enemy type in the game is a bullet sponge on the higher difficulty levels (and the lower ones are really not worth touching). You can decapitate enemies and blow them into bits, but only a few of the weapons feel sufficiently powerful. Then there's the fact that the encounter design is rather repetitive in general — no matter how smart the Skaarj are, fighting just one of them at a time gets old rather fast, yet you do that over and over again with only slight variations. The game only really picks up once you reach The Sunspire, which is about halfway through the game. It's one of the definite highlights of the game as far as level design goes, but there's also a bit of a difficulty bump there, and the encounters start to become more varied with usually more enemies to fight at a time. Generally the most memorable levels also take place in the second half of the game, although the endgame location doesn't live up to the stuff that comes before it.

Overall, it is almost a great shooter and something of a bridge between old and new (i.e. games before and after Half-Life), sharing some of the best elements from both worlds. If only the actual shooting was better.

I also started Mankind Divided, which I've "played" for five minutes. That is, I haven't clocked even a minute into the actual game so far, but I don't remember seeing an Options screen with so many options for over a decade, all genres included. It's almost like it... wants to be an actual PC game? That counts as a positive, at least. Let's see if it's actually playable without the quest markers, the cover system, the radar and all that other stuff...

I remember when Unreal came out all the gaming media in my area hyping the shit out of it for best graphics, superduper AI etcetc... It did some environmental graphics stuff fine for it's time, but all the characters/monsters looked so laughably low-poli, like they were hewn from rock. Also the character movement looks weird as hell (like they're not really walking/running on the ground... They can move their legs fast in a run but move forward too slowly for that to make sense for example, and the weird turning). Those who've played older unreal engine stuff will know what I'm talking about. Half Life did environments worse maybe but just looked more right in some key aspects imo.
The gameplay also wasn't really anything new or hard if you'd played previous shooters. Unreal Tournament was when the serious became good (if you liked multiplayer or bot matches), and it's been downhill again ever since. I still enjoy playing UT 99 against some old friends on occasion.

As far as mankind divided, don't make the mistake of breaking into every flat and searching every corner or hacking every computer or you might end up like me and get tired of the game before the half-way point.

Deleted member 7219

I put NOLF on a break while I finished Titanfall 2. Fun game, the story was nothing special but the fast paced nature of the gameplay made up for it. Areas tended to be large and could be approached in multiple ways. Titan fights were a slog, but fortunately didn't make up the majority of the game. Game looked great and played at 60 FPS on my ancient Core 2 Quad 9650, GeForce 960 at 1920x1080. Finished the campaign in 5 hours and I have zero interest in multiplayer, so I've uninstalled it now and probably won't play it again for a long time.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Fallout 4. I don't really have any strong feelings about it to be honest. I feel like the settlement management could have been the highlight of the game, if only it could be operated through a decent menu system, but having to run around finding people to assign tasks etc. makes it an absolute chore. Waste of potential there.

I'll probably finish it once.

Also playing a quad racing game called Nail'd which is pretty fucking great. The shapes of some of the tracks are fucking absurd and the pace is super frantic. Great arcade racer.

pippin

I am going through HoW in Icewind Dale, it's nice, but with +5 weapons everywhere it kinda starts feeling like a chore. Same thing I felt while playing ToB.

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Now I've got a monster of a PC, I picked up Just Cause 3 in the midweek deal and surprisingly, am absolutely loving it. I picked it up on a whim for god only knows why, as I've had JC2 in my library for forever and it never really grabbed me at all but I've sunk 30 hours into JC3 and I'm still looking forward to playing it again as soon as I stop.

With 32gb of RAM, a 1080 and I7-6820 I can brute force through any bad optimization and it looks gorgeous with a silky smooth framerate even while all the explosions are going on. And what destruction Rico can cause! I usually grow tired of these open world games very quickly, but the variety in this game is holding my attention. Steam says I've 11 hours in Far Cry 3, but that felt like a lot longer compared to the 30 in JC3. If I get bored of liberating towns/ bases/ oil rigs then I can choose to do one of the other activities that are all pretty varied and, importantly, pretty quick to get to and complete. Travel itself is actually fun, with grappling, parachuting and wingsuiting all interesting to do in short bursts. I can choose to attack objectives in multiple ways- tanks, planes, choppers or hit and run tactics on foot, surgically removing targets and then getting out of the danger area.

I did find I started enjoying it a lot more once I adopted M+K controls and put down the gamepad. These third person games are usually best with a pad, but in this case certainly not. PC master race and all that.

Story is usual gibberish and Rico looks vaguely like his eyes are pointing in different directions, but so far this is the first open world game in ages I can see me finishing and maybe, even picking up the DLC.

spekkio

Arcane
Some time ago I've finished Onimusha - Dawn Of Dreams

This is one of the best brawlers I've played and best game in series IMO. All things tried and screwed up by Capcom in Oni3, somehow worked here. Basically, DMC without the EXTREME!

Good: :)

- Simple, yet elegant and fun combat system.
- Decent TPP camera, fixed angles are rare and non-retarded.
- Shitload of things to learn, use, tweak, develop and unlock.
- Very competent and varied stage design: some areas are more vertical than horizontal, some require extensive backtracking, using characters' special skills is mostly fun.
- Five varied characters, feeling differently in combat (regular sword guy, fast wakizashi girl, gunner gurl, fast brawler, strong spearfag), with specific special skills used during combat and during exploration. Plus you can switch your main fag to any other from the remaining 4 at almost any time. And give the AI companion some basic commands. Fun.
- Writing is surprisingly decent, not only by Capcom's standards.
- Challenges (DMC-style) are obligatory, yet fun.

Bad: :?

- Too many cutscenes, some of them pointless (except panty shots for gurls).
- Story gets too wapanese by the end.
- Some settings don't store in savegames (speech track).
- Some challenges are impossible with late-game gear (you won't start a combo if your first victim dies from 1st hit).

Ugly: :(

- UI is somehow cumbersome (comparing base / upgraded weapons, switching between submenus).
- You can still accidentally from one area to another, loosing souls (and sanity).
- Some areas are hard to navigate, mostly when fixed camera angles are used (Soul Reaver - Defiance syndrome),
- You can't turn camera around when supporting character is climbing a ladder - waste of time.
- AI is mostly decent, but sometimes sticks to some weird attacks (Ohatsu) or does shit, ending up dead (everyone).
- Some areas can be accessed only late in game, yet items found there are mostly some low-level shit.

Verdict: strong :4/5:

sser

Arcane
Developer
Courtesy of Ninja Destroyer, I'm wasting an inordinate amount of time on SanctuaryRPG.

eklektyk

Erudite
trying to play Dex - it was awhileeeeee since i did platformers so its dificult for some parts but overall atmosphere is good and we will see where it will take me :)

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
So I started plying Metal Gear Solid V Ground Zeroes+Phantom Pain and Snake gets a fucking virtual tablet called idroid?WTF?
:decline::decline::decline:

sullynathan

Arcane
Started playing monster hunter freedom because I read that codexers like it.

I have to say that I'm not sure about it. The lack of lock on is really weird.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Tried to play Duke Nukem Caribbean: Life's a Beach. It was funny the first few minutes, with new words of wisdom from Duke, new bimbos and the LARD being substituted with pigs in Hawaii shirts. But a whole episode is too much, using waterpistols and pineapples as weapons.

Also playing the HoMM 2 user made "campaign" Last Hope, of seven maps. Varied size and quality of the maps so far.

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Just started Wizardry Gaiden IV. The main reason is I have to devote 99% of my PC time to work, but I can play this small gem on my mobile when I'm not at home. So far it feels like massive incline.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Dicking around with Gothic mods
-Global Mod bring new map http://i.imgur.com/41cj5TI.png but it's badly optimised and flora is so thick you can barely see anything (solved with)
Paying 200gold every time you get rabies from rabid animals is not fun (and your loot is worthless).
Tried to raise STR from starting 10 to 15 require 10LPs.

Returning...so good it's considered as "second add-on for Gothic2". You can even choose difficulty setting (various version of hardcore I suppose?) but patch 1.3.2 is most difficult piece of shit I ever encountered.
Oh and if you choose the easiest difficulty it will crash to desktop. Remind me last level of Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl and Wishgranter, choice "Make the Zone disappear" and crash to desktop with error description "wish granted".
Herbs does not heal, you need to learn how to gather meat and there is slow health regeneration which does not help at all at the begining and neither last game phase...

edit: hory shiet there is more version of Returning, one of them called Slash'n'Craft where you can't ask trainers for boost of weapons and stats (str, dex) but increase them by use. Would it be better than Morrowing?

Still thinking about Returning 2.0...

Also tested some stuff for RtcW.
I don't remember it being that easy? My first playthrough was ages ago, when I played UT on higher difficulties with no sweat but got my ass kicked in RtcW. Now playing it, enemies die fast and Blazkowitz take a lot of bullets to get down.
Sometimes widescreen and bigger resolutions (with tweaked .cfg file) work, sometimes they don't. At least AI don't shut down and crashes are gone. Tried Venom mod for better textures and effects but making everything more bullet resistant while ripping me out with single burst is not cool...

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
v4WoVEN.jpg

After a victorious battle against Saddam's slaves

Got to download and try Steel Armour: Blaze of War thanks to commie . It's a weird beast: it's pretty much a simplified version of the command system found in other Graviteam's titles with a somewhat simplified tank simulator built on top. Don't take the "simplified" as a pejorative, it's merely that you can't directly control the switches an' shit, but the focus on proper equipment and stuff is remarkable. Furthermore, you get to command also the strategical and tactical layers like in Operation Star or whatever.

As far as the game goes, it's fun. T-62s and M-60s aren't your most common tanks in simulations, and the Iran-Iraq war is a breath of fresh air as everyone is shit and you get a weird mixture of NATO and Soviet kit to play with. The learning curve is not that bad, and the graphics good for what they are.

The M60 is pretty much as I remember in Real Life: but goddammit if the T-62 is literally a coffin.

Endemic

Arcane
I'm playing the Cyprus campaign in F-16 Fighting Falcon. IFF is very confusing as both sides have F-16s and other identical vehicles :lol:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron

It requires a proper pad, the game is a pain to play on PSP because of it.

sullynathan

Arcane

It requires a proper pad, the game is a pain to play on PSP because of it.
I'm playing on ppsspp with my somewhat messed up PS3 controller. I'm getting the hang of it right now.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Enter The Gungeon

Really well crafted little genremix between bullethell and roguelike. I couldnt get into Binding Of Isaac because of the (imho) bad combatsystem, this game on the other hand completely knocks it out of the park in this regard. The ability to shoot in all directions seems like a minor improvement, but actually does enhance the gunplay by ^2. Controls are precise and the game is designed in a way that you also need precise controls since it is fucking hard. Dodgeroll is also not an autowin-button because of the nature of bullethell filling the whole screen with bullets, so you have to carefully time and aim your dodge (you are only invincible for the first half of the roll) so you dont land into another volley of bullets. They also implented some situational use of the enviroment, like flipping over tables you can take cover behind and even push them around, knock over barrels and roll them to your enemy, push or shoot down chandeliers etc etc.

At the beginning the game seems a bit unfair since it is really easy to take damage, even on the first floor, and healing items are scarce so more often than not you have to use up almost all your collected cash to refill your healthbar at the merchant a little bit. However, if you keep on playing you will overcome the steep learningcurve and the game becomes more and more enjoyable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom