Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Humppaleka

Cipher
Shadowgrounds, oh the nostalgia!

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Was playing the awesome Commando Arcade SE for C64 and went to find some other NTSC disk images I could run, and stumbled upon something interesting in a pdf scan of a random issue of AHOY magazine:

image.png

Literally the first page I looked at! What a coincidence. Made me think of the codex right away :)

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Jazz_

Arcane
So I have just started JA2 with the 1.13 mod, this is a game that went under my radar when it came out and never felt like starting it until a week ago, I started on ''experienced'' difficulty despite the game recommending me to start on novice or something, I toggled the ''enemies drop weapons'' option and I'm on my way to Dressen to meet the priest to estabilish the supply line. I have pretty much blew all my money on hiring 5 mercs for 1 week at the start of the game (bad move?), now I have 6 mercs (recruited Ira in the rebel hideout). The inventory system kinda looks confusing to me, can I pass items from merc to merc? Also, I seem to run out of ammos easily, what to do in that case? Just arm my mercs with the weapons the enemies drop? Or there is some place where I can buy/stock on ammo? Any combat tip in general?

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
So I have just started JA2 with the 1.13 mod, this is a game that went under my radar when it came out and never felt like starting it until a week ago, I started on ''experienced'' difficulty despite the game recommending me to start on novice or something, I toggled the ''enemies drop weapons'' option and I'm on my way to Dressen to meet the priest to estabilish the supply line. I have pretty much blew all my money on hiring 5 mercs for 1 week at the start of the game (bad move?), now I have 6 mercs (recruited Ira in the rebel hideout). The inventory system kinda looks confusing to me, can I pass items from merc to merc? Also, I seem to run out of ammos easily, what to do in that case? Just arm my mercs with the weapons the enemies drop? Or there is some place where I can buy/stock on ammo? Any combat tip in general?
You can buy ammo via laptop and via some npcs. For the laptop (online) orders you need to control an airport, which you will very soon. The ordered items will spawn in the boxes which are already there. It's been forever since I played that game, but I recall picking up the items from the boxes to be a bit buggy/awkward. You sometimes have to close a box and reopen it before items show up in it or something, memory is a little fuzzy.

JA2 probably had some of the best tb gun-centric combat ever... The ability to aim more with each right-click and just aiming at bodyparts directly on the npc model was imo superior to x-com and fallout's way of handling things. Sight ranges/weapon ranges were too short and gun progression too silly though.

Great game, if buggy.
You may want to read a guide as there's lots of little shit you can miss, and still quite a few bugs which prevent some stuff from happening/becoming accessible I think.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The inventory system kinda looks confusing to me, can I pass items from merc to merc?
You can have mercs hand/throw items directly to each other, or drop/throw items onto the ground so that other mercs can then pick up the items, or in the map screen click the "select items" button followed by double-clicking the map square your squad is located in to look at "sector inventory" which lists every item lying around in that map square and allows you to directly move items between "sector inventory" and individual mercs (right-click on the merc's name).

sser

Arcane
Developer

Taking over Dressen and not sure what to do next?

Haha, alright.

Whelp, see ya later.

Freddie

Savant
Finished Bioshock 2 Remastered DLC Minervas Den.

It's separate story with mostly different characters from the BS2 story also maps are new, as it's set in different part of the Rapture. Story is okay I guess., maps / are surprisingly well done for DLC in a sense that they reward exploration. Though if you play this just as shooter there isn't much to say about them.

Technical problems of BS2 appear also in this DLC. Crashing, all achievements not working. To my surprise I got steam notification about new patch. I haven't tried it, not going to try it. Visited the Steam forum and people are still complaining about crashes, then, patch is pretty fresh.

Minerva's Den was 9 € in Steam when I purchased it. I guess it might look like a good deal if you really like Bioshock and like exploring in games. Otherwise I would say it's bit too steep. I think this would be more like 5 - 7 € for the content, if they keep fixing it.

Started playing Spacehulk: Deatwing. Despite getting lot's of negative press, only thing I can really complain are starting time, framerate fluctuation and mp being a mess. I haven't done but first part of the campaign though.

Naraya

Arcane
I finally started playing TW3 GOTY a few days ago, after getting myself a brand new video card as an early xmas present. It was hard to avoid spoilers for so long, but I wanted to experience it in full so I managed it somehow.

I have to admit - at first I was disappointed. Graphic was indeed beautiful but the game had issues. I felt like fighting with the UI was a constant exercise in frustration. I died constantly and not because I was bad, but because the game wasn't cooperating and registering my actions quickly enough. This leads to the next point - the combat felt really meh compared to TW1 and TW2 - I liked the "dance" and flow of combat in those games much more, not to mention mechanics like "yo Bruxa, give me a sec to gulp this jug of wine and eat the chicken sandwich in the fucking mid-fight" were immersion-breaking (cue memes). I noticed the alchemy system was simplified (or using modern terms - Quality of Life changes were introduced) even more than in TW2 but that didn't bother me much as I rarely, if at all, use it in Witcher games. Another random point - for some reason I thought CDPR made TW3 to be more of a RPG than its predecessors, so I expected things like sleeping (at least in inns) and owning a home to be in the game, much like in Skyrim. Needless to say, again I was disappointed.

Now I am almost level 10 and things get better. I acknowledged that witchers don't have permanent homes and they don't need to really sleep (even though Geralt does in Sapkowski's books). The combat feels more manageable (no rolling, just dodge) and in general I'm getting the "feel of the game" more and more, if you know what I mean. I still think the game deserves the praise it keeps getting, but I know that I will install Skyrim soon to scratch my itch for a true, open world RPG.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Just started back in on my old Witcher 3 playthrough now that it's winter (summer melts my computer). Steam says I have 47-hours in the game and I don't feel remotely close to the finish and I have an utter shitload of optional quests still to do. When virtually every quest is decent or outstanding, the game's overall content is just ridiculous. "Witcher quests" are still the best. Investigating the monsters and hunting them down is a thrill more often than not.

The combat isn't the best, but it still carries a bit of that prep-stage of the old games. I enjoy flipping into the bestiary and reading-up on enemies. Mechanically, combat is mostly seems like dodge monsters, block humans, and weave in magic if you want.

Only have two qualms with the game. One is that while some quests definitely have impactful dialogues, some only seem to and then ultimately shuttle you to the one conclusion anyway. Mostly occurs on secondary quests. The other is that you pick up a metric fuckton of random items and scripts to forge shit, but so far not a shred of it is any better than the mainline equipment you can craft.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
I'm playing TW3 right now, level 10 also. And I still don't understand dodge mechanics.
What's there to understand? Space to roll a large distance (mostly useful against monsters, bosses with large attacks), alt for dodging/side-stepping.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS BUTCHER

JUST WAHT I EXPEXTED AND TONS OF FUN

DAMAGE THE REMAKE I BOUGHT EARLY ACCESS JUST CAUSE I PLAYED THE SHIT OUT IF THE AMIGA ONE

CRYSIS BROS PLEASE POPAMOLE
I GET MORE AND MORE BPRED WITH LONG INTROS THE OLDER I GET MAYBE ILL STUCK WITH IT

Jazz_

Arcane
JA2 is glorious, ''liberated'' Dressen but lost Ira (she was headshotted), and another merc is dying and nothing I can do about it, I'm out of medkits and I can't find one in the buildings in Drassen,plus I have just got the scene where the evil biach is sending the counterattack, no way I'm going to survive it with 4 banged up mercs. I have read on some forums that the counterattack sends like 80-90 soldiers or something? :lol:
I'm going to start a new game and tick the counterattack off, would you say that heading to Chitzena before going to Drassen is a better option?

sser

Arcane
Developer
You can pretty much go wherever you want. The 4-square town in the middle of the map is pretty solid though.

Krivol

Magister
If you know what you are doing, heading to San Mona could bring you ~40 k (maybe more, I am not sure - shop quest, selling guns to Tony, prize in fights, mine, kingpin), some armours and Steyr (and 1 or 2 commando IIRC) which is great at start.

Drassen is nice to get because of airport, but you can grab just square with airport and buy whatever you want, defending it from much easier attacks.

Dressen couterstrike can be handled by cheesy way (not sure if they didn't fixed it) or you can retreat and attack at night. Hard but doable.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Wasting time on isaac rebirth mod/expansion antibirth.
Mod is awesome so far(loving the electrical tears and evil eye black hole),and they redid the music and it is pretty good.

For a full list of changes and to download the mod go here:https://antibirth.com/
The mod is the definition of anti sawyer,no balance considerations whatsoever and you can go wild with synergies.
This is only a rebirth mod so if you have the afterbirth expansions you need to disable it to play this mod.(pirates need to use their word skills for this mod)

Jazz_

Arcane
If you know what you are doing, heading to San Mona could bring you ~40 k (maybe more, I am not sure - shop quest, selling guns to Tony, prize in fights, mine, kingpin), some armours and Steyr (and 1 or 2 commando IIRC) which is great at start.

Drassen is nice to get because of airport, but you can grab just square with airport and buy whatever you want, defending it from much easier attacks.

Dressen couterstrike can be handled by cheesy way (not sure if they didn't fixed it) or you can retreat and attack at night. Hard but doable.

I went to San Mona on my way to Chinxena, I read somewhere that San Mona is supposed to be ''friendly'' toward you because it's run by the mob and there is no army there but I got attacked by some npcs in the streets, what's up with that? Anyway I'm in Chinxena now, gonna deal with this city first and take that mine.

Deleted member 7219

I've finished Star Wars: Republic Commando.

I know this game is liked by some Codexers, which is why I was determined to make it to the end. If not for that, I'd have abandoned it after a couple of hours.

It doesn't have much going for it other than the high level of difficulty. Everything else is shit. You spend most of your time fighting battle droids over, and over, and over. The remainder of your time is spent fighting Trandoshans, only they aren't Trandoshans as you'd find in the rest of the Star Wars EU (e.g. Jedi Knight), but stunted little green things. You also fight flying geonosians, some of whom have incredibly OP beam lasers that kill you in a couple of seconds.

This gets really boring after a while as you run through a corridor, kill the droids/lizards/flying things, hack a door, kill more things, hack a door, kill more things, plant a bomb, kill more things.

The game showed some promise initially, as you can give commands to your squad members, have them take up sniping positions etc, but the ally AI is so shit that you'll find they aren't much help.

Anyway, my opinion of the game is overwhelmingly negative after making it to the end. I usually have a high tolerance of Star Wars games with shitty gameplay, as long as the story is good (I quite like Bounty Hunter because of this), but Republic Commando doesn't have a story. I'll give it some points for not being straightforward popamole but that's about it. 3/10. Don't bother.

Now I'm playing No One Lives Forever. Played it a couple of years ago but not to the end. Looking forward to this one, especially after playing such dreary shit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krivol

Magister

I went to San Mona on my way to Chinxena, I read somewhere that San Mona is supposed to be ''friendly'' toward you because it's run by the mob and there is no army there but I got attacked by some npcs in the streets, what's up with that? Anyway I'm in Chinxena now, gonna deal with this city first and take that mine.

I have no idea why you were attacked, but San Mona is great place to start - well, normally. Heading to Chitzena is usually a good choice, but remember - you will be counterattacked anyway (with much less solider, but still) and Chitzena mine is usually the worst one.

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Currently dividing my time between a Commandos Behind Enemy Lines playthru (which I played a lot as a kid but never made it to the end so now I'm doing a mission here or there in between other things) and Elminage Gothic (which I'm making slow progress in and constantly second guessing my char builds everytime I read a new aweigh wiki post and consider how little I actually think about what I'm doing in the game). Also clearing up some outstanding achievements in Isaac before Afterbirth+ on the 3rd, and considering a go at Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, which I've started a couple times but never taken very far. And Shenzen I/O, which is tough because I'm not that smart

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Finished Unreal. I've never been a huge fan of of the game as a whole, although I'm definitely a fan of individual elements of it. The AI was of course a big deal back in the day, and especially the Skaarj AI is still better than in many (or most) newer shooters. Every enemy type behaves differently and has something that sets it apart from all the others. There's a ton of variety in the environments, and many parts of the game still look gorgeous. The level design is a bit uneven as a whole, but it has a lot of variety too, not only on the visual side but also in their layouts and level of complexity, ranging from some quite straightforward levels to more labyrinthine ones and everything in between. The high points are also pretty damn high, and the best levels combine really cool visuals with clever layouts and environmental storytelling done right.

I guess my main issue with the game has always been that the actual gunplay just isn't all that satisfying, which kind of is a big deal in an FPS. The weapons don't feel that great, even though all of them have alternate fire modes and a couple of them are rather creative, and every single enemy type in the game is a bullet sponge on the higher difficulty levels (and the lower ones are really not worth touching). You can decapitate enemies and blow them into bits, but only a few of the weapons feel sufficiently powerful. Then there's the fact that the encounter design is rather repetitive in general — no matter how smart the Skaarj are, fighting just one of them at a time gets old rather fast, yet you do that over and over again with only slight variations. The game only really picks up once you reach The Sunspire, which is about halfway through the game. It's one of the definite highlights of the game as far as level design goes, but there's also a bit of a difficulty bump there, and the encounters start to become more varied with usually more enemies to fight at a time. Generally the most memorable levels also take place in the second half of the game, although the endgame location doesn't live up to the stuff that comes before it.

Overall, it is almost a great shooter and something of a bridge between old and new (i.e. games before and after Half-Life), sharing some of the best elements from both worlds. If only the actual shooting was better.

I also started Mankind Divided, which I've "played" for five minutes. That is, I haven't clocked even a minute into the actual game so far, but I don't remember seeing an Options screen with so many options for over a decade, all genres included. It's almost like it... wants to be an actual PC game? That counts as a positive, at least. Let's see if it's actually playable without the quest markers, the cover system, the radar and all that other stuff...

Humppaleka

Cipher
WoW.

Besides that, VtM:BL, Thief 2, Path of Exile, Dawn of War: Soulstorm, UFO: Aftermath and maybe some Secret World thrown in there too.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom