Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Deleted member 7219

Star Wars: Republic Commando. Levels are quite dull, lots of corridor shooting and holding down the 'F' key, but the difficulty level is actually quite challenging and that keeps me playing (you can't just run and gun when super battle droids and droidekas are about, which makes it much better than some other shooters I can think of).

What the fuck did they do to Trandoshans, by the way? It's like they looked at Trandoshans and said, "Right, we're going to make them the exact opposite of what they've been in everything else." They should have used other aliens instead.

I'm also still playing Trails of Cold Steel II when I have access to the PS3. It's a great game, just like its predecessor.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Monster Hunter 3rd on my Android phone. I bought one of those 8bitdo bluetooth pads and it's just pure PPSSPP bliss.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Shadow Tactics. This came out of nowhere, and its amazing. Commandos clone set in Japan. Very polished, plays beautifully, and if anyone was itching for Commandos gameplay I can assure you this is well worth the cash. Really nice suprise, out on Steam now.

Freddie

Savant
Finished Bioshock 2 Remastered.

Overall it kept it's campaign interesting and combat and exploration fags may enjoy even the very last level. I think plot was simpler than in Bioshock. Basic idea is scenario worked out from opposite philosophy from Rand's objektivism. I think it actually works in a sense that just more of the same wouldn't worked that well any more in sequel. I however felt that his leans bit further in pulp influences than first game. It's decent, good even, but simpler. For some impact there are few very good moments in game though.

In gameplay, upgrading weapons and tonics appear to be more important than in first game. Enemies use their powers sometimes fairly well and combat is fast. Protagonist also feels even surprisingly vulnerable at times. Melee combat felt very different. I understand the idea, but 'un-fueled' melee attacks are just way too weak. It has surprisingly lot of effect to combat overall. Headshots and using variety of weapons is more important than in Bioshock 1. Spray and pray style works only partially, because it leaves player scavenging for money and ammo very easily.

Good game overall. Overall I think this might be a bit more re-playable than 1st. but there are issues. However, this is definitely head and shoulders above Bioshock: Infinity, which I have heard DLC is better than the main game.

I got the entire series in some bundle for some pitiful amount of money, which changes things for me. I might even try the DLC. However, I can't recommend these remasters but for discount price. There are just too many technical issues, streaming of textures doesn't work as intended, buggy lightning effects, crashes, all achievements don't work... Overall these are lousy work on what looks like issues in Q&A and later in support. Practically it looks like 2K Games aren't going to issue another patch for series.

Last edited:
I finally finished Dark Forces last week. Fuck that prison level, by every god. After faffing about for who knows how long, I looked up a guide and aligned those fucking elevators. I would never have guessed where to go otherwise. The sewer level is still the worst, in my opinion, but this one comes a close second. Anyway, I read about secret rooms and easter eggs in DF, and realized that I'd missed most save for a few (like the stormtrooper toilet). Bit of a shame, but there's no way in hell I'm ever playing this thing again.

On the other hand, I found DF2 a lot better. I can definitely see where the last two games in the series come from, now. The shootan is a bit less exciting for some reason, but at least DF2 is not a cakewalk anymore. The first level surprised me, it was actually a lot harder than I had anticipated, even on normal. Lots of secrets, nooks and crannies, most of which I missed once again, but then I looked up the Force point distribution charts, which are apparently also tied to exploration, so I decided to start again to maximize my Force abilities.

Just fought my first Jedi duel. This is some good shit, men.

Last edited:

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Bought Shadow Tactics last night based on what I'd seen various Codexers saying and damn, I want to echo the praise for this game. A spiritual successor to the likes of Commandos & Desperados which this world is sorely lacking in.

Slick, well-presented, charming and enjoyable. I haven't seen any bugs so far and the game seems well optimised. I've only finished the first three missions but if this level of quality keeps up I'll be more than happy.

Even more impressive is the dev's previous experience amounts to fuck all; children's games and other assorted nothings.

Stayed up til 3am playing and I'm pretty keen to finish work and get back to it. :shredder:

anus_pounder

Arcane
Assassin's Creed : Syndicate. The modern day plot is as terrible as ever, but the open world formula that Ubisoft has pretty much mastered is still present and enjoyable as ever. Late to the party I know, but I was pretty uninterested in the series after the string of boring settings, this one included.

Apart from that, messing around with some EA titles I have on hand and some emulation of older platforms. Mostly waiting on march to come 'round and deliver me Ghost Recon : Wildlands.

sullynathan

Arcane
The gearbox duke Nukem I've been playing is fun but there's something off with duke compared to doom. seems like some enemies use hit scan weapons.

mastroego

Arcane
X-Com with the Long War mod.

Steam says I have 210 hours on it already, usually I'm bored after a while.
I'm actually *making* time to play.
It's like I was 20 again.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Deus Ex : Mankind Divided. Still too early to tell, but I like how Prague looks. It's a good cyberpunk city.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Playing, or to be more precise, trying to play, Half Life 1 Opposition forces, dunno about what the hype about this Half Life expansion was, shooting and combat encounters are okay but the jumping puzzles galore and the lame level design... very meh.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Playing, or to be more precise, trying to play, Half Life 1 Opposition forces, dunno about what the hype about this Half Life expansion was, shooting and combat encounters are okay but the jumping puzzles galore and the lame level design... very meh.

Hmm...I seem to recall liking it because it didn't have as much jumping puzzles as the main game. Blue Shift OTOH, was a major disappointment.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Hmm...I seem to recall liking it because it didn't have as much jumping puzzles as the main game. Blue Shift OTOH, was a major disappointment.
Maybe jumping puzzles is the wrong word but I spent most of my time with crate puzzles, jumping puzzles, jumping on crates, shoot the red crates, jumping over pools of acid, jumping over chasms and not enough time shooting. They added a few new enemy types but so far they aren't all that interesting and don' change much how the gameplay is, they used alot of setpiece design, you get on some claustrophobic areas doing simplistic puzzles and killing some ole Half Life enemies for the most part, that is it.

the_shadow

Arcane

I played Half-Life when it first came out, but was never able to get the expansions, as back in those days it was very difficult to find add-ons/expansion packs for any game in Australia. I've been playing them recently, and Half-Life Opposing Forces is a lot like the base game, but shorter, with poorer map design, fewer weapons and fewer puzzles. I think some people preferred the focus on the FPS element rather than puzzle element. Blue Shift is OK, I do like the idea of a security guard (who is generally looked down upon) having their own heroic moments.

I also managed to finally beat Half-Life. I never got past Xen back in the day, because I was burnt out from all the puzzle solving, jumping and not being able to defeat the Headcrab boss. The game has aged remarkably well, and it far more enjoyable than when I initially played it as an 11 year old who lacked the common sense to figure out some of the puzzles. It's also impressive to think that despite the complexity of some of the script events, I didn't encounter a *single* bug. All I can think is: "What the hell happened with Half Life 2?" Half-Life is engaging and fun from beginning to end, whereas Half-Life 2 was a lot of filler and popamole gunfights. People tell me Half-Life 2 is amazing for its technical achievements, but what does that matter if the game isn't fun to play? This isn't nostalgia talking, since I didn't find Half-Life that appealing when compared to the other FPS I was playing at the time (Unreal).

kris

Arcane
Stuck in "a game of thrones" mod for warband. After having supported Robb I saw that Stannis was close to kicking the bucket so I changed allegiance and have now started restoring Stannis to his rightful place. Those reach longbowmen can be really annoying at times.

Was about to play WE in warmhammer TW, but got bored quickly.

Last edited:

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Death Skid Mark is a really fucking stupid rogue-lite.
Just what doctor ordered. It could be a fine game but some bosses completely screw over some cars/crews and there is no way to influence RNG so that you wouldn't get insta killers.
4ED04B7E23EFE1BA36C9526CE1989D66D6246A2A

Also I started to play Steel Panthers: World at War after several year hiatus.
Things that I do with my massed Italian Brixia mortar squads are a crime against all that is good and sane in this world.

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Was playing the awesome Commando Arcade SE for C64 and went to find some other NTSC disk images I could run, and stumbled upon something interesting in a pdf scan of a random issue of AHOY magazine:

image.png

Literally the first page I looked at! What a coincidence. Made me think of the codex right away :)

Last edited:

DramaticPopcorn

Just finished Bulletstorm. First half was a drag, turned better later on.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom