Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
To honour and celebrate the God Emepror's win in the presidentail elections I have decided to install Dawn of War 2 and its two expansions

For the Emprah

LFj45MO.jpg

baturinsky

Arcane
Tried that nu Doom. It's meh.

1. Worst of all - jump puzzles. Everywhere. With bottomless pits. And rare checkpoints . And DOUBLE JUMPS. In first person. With light often so low you can't see where platform ends.
2. Graphics is meh. Same-looking metal corridors, followed by same-looking hell. Most WADs for gzdoom I play have more variance and personality.
3. Same goes for monsters. 2/3 of them look pretty much the same - grey muscular slightly rotten humanoid.
4. And they are bullet sponges.

So, I'd recommend playing Brutal Doom: Hell on Earth over this.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Gonna continue this point 'n' click kick I'm on with 'The Blackwell Legacy.' Or not. Thinking I might go all out and give one of the classics a spin. 'Indiana Jones and the Fate of the Atlantis' or 'Beneath a Steel Sky' or 'Broken Sword 1' or 'Gabriel Knight 1' or maybe something completely different. Got a bunch of this shit. Never played any of this shit. Want to now.

Played and beat Blackwell Legacy. Was OK I guess, 6/10. Started up 'Blackwell Unbound,' the second game in the series. 45 minutes into it, seems better than the first one so far.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Started playing Hard West, in general I'm really liking the game, especially the cards mechanic. But it seems a bit much to play on medium and with ironman on. Going to either disable ironman, or go for easy mode.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Started playing Hard West, in general I'm really liking the game, especially the cards mechanic. But it seems a bit much to play on medium and with ironman on. Going to either disable ironman, or go for easy mode.

Good game. They released one chapter as DLC and then all communication about the game seems to have died since then (this was several months back). Pity.

EDIT: Having said that, decided to check out their twitter and facebook pages as well. Nothing there either. Last twit is from Nov 18th about being named a good strategy game in some list and the last facebook post is from the 25th pointing out the then ongoing sale.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected

Ironman is flawed by design. Don't bother. There are more plot relevant characters than not.

pippin

Gonna continue this point 'n' click kick I'm on with 'The Blackwell Legacy.' Or not. Thinking I might go all out and give one of the classics a spin. 'Indiana Jones and the Fate of the Atlantis' or 'Beneath a Steel Sky' or 'Broken Sword 1' or 'Gabriel Knight 1' or maybe something completely different. Got a bunch of this shit. Never played any of this shit. Want to now.

Played and beat Blackwell Legacy. Was OK I guess, 6/10. Started up 'Blackwell Unbound,' the second game in the series. 45 minutes into it, seems better than the first one so far.

Ironically all the games are the same, but the second one is better because the main character is much more likeable imo, and has better interactions with Joey.

Spoilers ahead

it's implied that the main character from the second game and Joey were in love

Bigg Boss

Arcane

Good game. They released one chapter as DLC and then all communication about the game seems to have died since then (this was several months back). Pity.

EDIT: Having said that, decided to check out their twitter and facebook pages as well. Nothing there either. Last twit is from Nov 18th about being named a good strategy game in some list and the last facebook post is from the 25th pointing out the then ongoing sale.

Hope they did well enough to make another game.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Ironically all the games are the same, but the second one is better because the main character is much more likeable imo, and has better interactions with Joey.

Beat 'Blackwell Unbound' and also the third one, 'Blackwell Convergence' now. Liked the third one just as much as the second one. Clearly these games aren't particularly challenging, still enjoying myself, I like Rosangela just fine. Gonna fire up the fourth game soon, and the last one right after that, I'm sure.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Completed on hard with ironman enabled, git gud

Beat 'Blackwell Unbound' and also the third one, 'Blackwell Convergence' now. Liked the third one just as much as the second one. Clearly these games aren't particularly challenging, still enjoying myself, I like Rosangela just fine. Gonna fire up the fourth game soon, and the last one right after that, I'm sure.
Just finished bingeplaying the Blackwell series myself after picking it up during the steam autumn sale. Overall great series but specially the first 3 games are very short and very easy.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Completed Ghost Planet, by many considered the best ever user made map for HoMM 2.

It's definitely one of the best user made maps I've played, and it would be absolute perfect for a co-op game with two friends. I played all three positions myself and finished with a Titan rating. I usually finish with a Black Dragon rating, since I play on Impossible and try to finish as quickly as possible (I love how he HoMM games reward you for that), but I oversetimated the strenght of the enemy players, and I regret spending too much time visiting stat boosting sites instead of just pushing forward. Several enemey castles has huge stacks of Bone Dragons that never came into play because the leader had starting trash units in the front line. :( This is of course a general problem with HoMM 2 and not with the map, and fortunately it got fixed in HoMM 3.
And as usual Dimension Door can break a map, another HoMM 2 problem that IIRC was fixed in HoMM 3 where you could disallow spells from the editor.

This is a very strategic and unlinear map with excellent writing, and it took me several days to complete it. There's lots of interesting places to explore, but sometimes events are not optimally placed, becasue the player took a slightly different route than expected, missing the event with one square.
Overall a great map, though.

There's also some C&C: to use Ghosts or not. Personally I have a No Ghosts policy. But my best hero had about 3K Skeletons at the end.

Incidentally it's interesting that like Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic, many of the very best user made maps are designed for co-op play.

Last edited:

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Just finished bingeplaying the Blackwell series myself after picking it up during the steam autumn sale. Overall great series but specially the first 3 games are very short and very easy.

Steam says Convergence took me 118 minutes, Unbound only 93 minutes! Says '2 hours' for Legacy. Without using any walkthroughs even. So yeah, short. Glad I got 'em for only 1,99 a pop, or not even that, what with the first four games coming in a bundle. At 10 or 15 per game the experience would've been pretty shitty I'm sure.

Playing Star Wars: Dark Forces. I blazed through the first two levels massacring people left and right. Felt really good, too, the sounds effects and music complement the gameplay really nicely. But the sewer level, man...
The only thing I really miss would be vertical camera movement, as it takes the game a bit to register whether the enemy is standing on a ledge or on my level.

pippin

Playing Star Wars: Dark Forces. I blazed through the first two levels massacring people left and right. Felt really good, too, the sounds effects and music complement the gameplay really nicely. But the sewer level, man...
The only thing I really miss would be vertical camera movement, as it takes the game a bit to register whether the enemy is standing on a ledge or on my level.

Turn on the lights!

Turn on the lights!
Yeah. :D That's what I was trying to do, but apparently I missed a side-tunnel somewhere. Discovering how infrared goggles work also helped a bit.

pippin

IIRC you press f5 and you can get a light to see in dark places. The map design in the sewers is rather complicated though. The game's nice but the sequels are way better, the lack of saves mid stage is rather bothersome, because it's just a doom clone...

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Steam says Convergence took me 118 minutes, Unbound only 93 minutes! Says '2 hours' for Legacy. Without using any walkthroughs even. So yeah, short. Glad I got 'em for only 1,99 a pop, or not even that, what with the first four games coming in a bundle. At 10 or 15 per game the experience would've been pretty shitty I'm sure.

Beat the fourth game just now, took 3 hours, so it was indeed meatier than the first three. And I'm pretty sure I kinda loved it. Only one left, shame.

pippin

I thought the last one was ok, even though they completely skipped over one story element. The ending is... weird.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Dark Forces DOES let you look up and down. I think they keybinds for that were PgUp/PgDown? Unfortunately you can't bind them to your mouse.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

Back in the day that is the level that burned me out on the game.

I've been playing the hell out of Final Fantasy 15. It reminds me of a JRPG version of MGSV, which I am wagering people will hear a lot. Also looking forward to beating Underrail with the DLC and pity fucking Resident Evil 7 when it drops to $20 in 4 or 5 months. I stopped playing Sunless Sea at 60 hours when I learned my captain would be dying and the game would end, but I may return to it in the future. I look forward to getting back into Secret World once I am done with some of the PS4 games I picked up, the aforementioned FF15 and Shadow Warrior and maybe Nobunaga's Ambition. I hate playing FPS games on console, but it's good retarded fun regardless. Noting too deep like classic Doom, but I still play it modded to oblivion, so that niche is filled. Niche really describes my entire gaming habits.

pippin

Dark Forces DOES let you look up and down. I think they keybinds for that were PgUp/PgDown? Unfortunately you can't bind them to your mouse.

But DosBox should allow key rebinding iirc?

pippin

I'm still going on through my self imposed challenge of playing Oblivion unmodded. At level 21, I just started Shivering Isles. The quality goes up in a noticeable manner in a way that's almost scary. The game even feels a bit like Morrowind, which only hurts like hell.It seems like a completely different team was in charge of this.

However, I must say this game is not as insultingly bad as Fallout 3 is. Oblivion still has a degree of spirit and care put into it, as weird as it sounds. If I feel like it, I might write a lenghty post about this... an essay on decline, if you will.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Messing around in The Secret World since I got it from the bundle. The MMO part is trash but I would kill for a singleplayer RPG like this.

aQ206lf.png

True Detective right here men. :dance:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom