Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Got a little tired of Tyranny, started up Kathy Rain.

I like it! I'm a sucker for a kind of 'Twin Peaks' atmosphere & mystery, so this is right up my alley anyway.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
Tomb Raider
while browsing through all my unplayed games on steam, i just wanted to try this out to rant about it, but honestly it isnt even bad.
might be i am new to those newish console style games that try to force plenty of cut scenes and playable cut scenes onto you, but those actually work here.
story is predictable but not super dumb and most importantly the pacing along with cut scenes is decent.
also blends quite well with grafix and music, thus the atmostphere is enjoyable.
oh, and Lara isnt a mutated super hero, which si refreshing.
i am not a big fan of all those collectables and mini lore items you have to find, as it gets tedious pretty fast and feels like actual work after a short time.
combat is ok, controls are fine.
:4/5:

Modron

Arcane
Finally got around to playing Dark Souls, just killed the Capra demon. While I am not disappointed with the game I guess I was just expecting a more thorough enjoyment from all the hype based on the words of casual and monocle alike. Only really enjoy it in 40 minute doses, I am cutting the experience with whittling down my adventure games backlog.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Finally got around to playing Dark Souls, just killed the Capra demon. While I am not disappointed with the game I guess I was just expecting a more thorough enjoyment from all the hype based on the words of casual and monocle alike. Only really enjoy it in 40 minute doses, I am cutting the experience with whittling down my adventure games backlog.
You're still in the early stages of the game. There are still several areas before your possibilities start opening up gear and style-wise. Plus, your enemy types so far have been quite tame.

sullynathan

Arcane
Keep playing lords of the fallen even though it's such a bad game.

Completed shadow of the colossus and shadow complex.

Wasting time with Tekken dark destruction because I played a shit ton of Tekken 5 nearly a decade ago, and I'm dipping into the Soul Calibur series with SC2.

Still playing RE1 remake and I have to re-evaluate my approach after learning zombies come back in a more powerful form. I finally found the 2nd key too, and I had the dog collar in my inventory the entire time.

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Today some Hidden & Dangerous 2, Metro 2033 and Dragonfall. Slowly going through these, and almost done with Tyranny.

Krivol

Magister
I installed C&C Red Alert (the first one) - some heavy moded version with windowed, choose-your-resolution mode. Such a good game. Not a strategy to be honest and full hd makes it a bit too easy (you can see almost whole map on your screen), but still fun. And those actors... :D .

Also - killing Ruskies, so fun is doubled.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I had put I Am Setsuna o hold for a few months. Went back to it today. I hadn't had any trouble up until the point where I had to fight a big ass sheep boss. I had to revise my strategy after losing twice. turns out it wasn't that hard when I actually remembered what the hell I'm supposed to do to win. Then, everything was easy and I started to explore because I got the airship. Went to an early game location and met what I can only assume is a secret boss and it one shot killed my party. that was actually kind of funny.

I'm also previewing Expeditions: Viking. A solid game with some changes from the first game. I'm having fun but this early build has some issues and it has forced me to reload or shut down the game.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I need to git gud at Furi. Maybe it's because I'm playing in Parallels and the framerate sucks, but even the first enemy/boss is getting my ass handed to me. The game's shaping up to be quite good tho.

Desert Fish

Educated
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Tomb Raider
while browsing through all my unplayed games on steam, i just wanted to try this out to rant about it, but honestly it isnt even bad.
might be i am new to those newish console style games that try to force plenty of cut scenes and playable cut scenes onto you, but those actually work here.
story is predictable but not super dumb and most importantly the pacing along with cut scenes is decent.
also blends quite well with grafix and music, thus the atmostphere is enjoyable.
oh, and Lara isnt a mutated super hero, which si refreshing.
i am not a big fan of all those collectables and mini lore items you have to find, as it gets tedious pretty fast and feels like actual work after a short time.
combat is ok, controls are fine.
:4/5:
I mostly agree, but I hate QTEs, and these were not exceptions. Fortunately not that many of them.

Moreover, "everything around you is collapsing or burning" was used ridiculously often, the game became a parody of itself.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
No they dont. Still the best tactical shooter there is. Just so well done, and so very atmospheric. Probably my favotire WWII themed game, next to Commandos.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Quest for Glory (EGA)
I've played around with this and the other games in the series before, but never very seriously. I've been recently going back and forth between playing RPGs and graphics adventures, and thought, wow why don't I just do both at once?

Surface impressions: these are some really great EGA graphics. Sierra were the kings of EGA art as far as I am concerned. As for sound, I am playing this in DOSBOX with my Roland CM-500 and it sounds glorious. While me and my friends back then were listening to beep boop boop on Nintendo or (when we could finally afford it) FM music from our adlibs or sound blaster knockoffs, rich kids were enjoying realistic sound effects, ambient bird chirping, and nearly CD quality music while playing Quest for Glory on their Roland MT-32s.

So I spent a couple nights on this and really got into it. Even drew a map of the world on graph paper. :) Based on the number of points I have, I'm maybe 1/4th of the way through the game.

I love this thing so far. The fact that I have 4 more games ahead of me, two great and two okay, blows my mind. Plus the fact that I can replay the entire series as a different class and get a noticeably different experience!

The only thing I would like to change is to add a WAIT command. Some quests are time-specific, and there is simply no good way to pass time in this. I don't think you can even just sit there and leave the game running... it seems you actually have to act for time to move forward. It's annoying. A WAIT command with a random change of some encounter would have been perfect.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Eador: Genesis
srGqN39.jpg

Non evil units.

Deleted member 7219

Completed my second playthrough of Tyranny.

Combined time for both playthroughs: 38 hours. Skipped a lot of text I had already read in the second playthrough.

Still haven't done the Burning Library. 1st playthrough was Disfavoured, and I betrayed Ashe at the end. 2nd playthrough was rebel. Not sure what choices are required in order to visit the Library.

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Almost finished Nethergate: Resurrection after it has been on hold for over a year. Excellent game, one of Vogel's best. Wizardry 4 on hold for the time being and decided to start on Bard's Tale 1.

Apart from that I am also playing AoW 2 and Shadowgate. Once Nethergate is completed I think I will begin on the Heroes Chronicles to continue on the chronological playthrough of the MM franchise (up until V at least).

SerratedBiz

Arcane
The only thing I would like to change is to add a WAIT command. Some quests are time-specific, and there is simply no good way to pass time in this. I don't think you can even just sit there and leave the game running... it seems you actually have to act for time to move forward. It's annoying. A WAIT command with a random change of some encounter would have been perfect.

In QFG1 EGA you can use 'rest' to pass time by 10 minutes, though it's hard limited by both stamina and how much you've rested recently. You can usually 'run' a few screens to drop stamina, or tire yourself out doing climbing (like against the tree outside the healer's hut) and then spam rest a few times, it'll make it faster. Later editions allow you to rest for larger amounts of time, or until sunrise/sundown.

I'm very much against spoiling or giving gameplay hints for the QfG games because they're just so rich in content, progression and replayability, but this is the kind of quality of life thing that I don't think spoils anything.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Playing a game made with rpgmaer named Disgraced. Fight an evil shogun and so on. Fun little game that also involves improving your rebel camp and trying to keep your company from starving.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished WH40k: Dawn of War II.
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only Steve Blum.
I played a bunch of hack'n'slashes since July, this one is the worst of them. Micromanagement hell. Orks? Eldars? Doable but Tyranids can fuck off with my tiny squad. I was thinking about turning on trainer for muh cinematic experience but endured to the credits.
You play as Space Marine with douchebag haircut who can shrug off damage capable to destroy a friggin tank. Got it? Now GET TO THE COVER.

You'll like Chaos Rising. Definitely one of those "expansions that are better than the original game".
I already played Chaos Rising and Retribution before like 2-3 years back, finished both, only now managed to finish DoW2. They weren't as bad later like DoW2 after some time. Maybe except the final boss in Chaos Rising - Lord of HP Bloat. Still got little shakes at the remind of this fight.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

Finished WH40k: Dawn of War II.
In the grim darkness of the far future there is only Steve Blum.
I played a bunch of hack'n'slashes since July, this one is the worst of them. Micromanagement hell. Orks? Eldars? Doable but Tyranids can fuck off with my tiny squad. I was thinking about turning on trainer for muh cinematic experience but endured to the credits.
You play as Space Marine with douchebag haircut who can shrug off damage capable to destroy a friggin tank. Got it? Now GET TO THE COVER.

You'll like Chaos Rising. Definitely one of those "expansions that are better than the original game".

newtmonkey

Arcane
newtmonkey

If you're playing a Thief and are looking for some lockpicking exercise, type PICK NOSE. (Save before attempting.)

I know about this one :)

In QFG1 EGA you can use 'rest' to pass time by 10 minutes, though it's hard limited by both stamina and how much you've rested recently. You can usually 'run' a few screens to drop stamina, or tire yourself out doing climbing (like against the tree outside the healer's hut) and then spam rest a few times, it'll make it faster. Later editions allow you to rest for larger amounts of time, or until sunrise/sundown.

I'm very much against spoiling or giving gameplay hints for the QfG games because they're just so rich in content, progression and replayability, but this is the kind of quality of life thing that I don't think spoils anything.

Didn't even consider climbing. :o I think I'll go with that, thanks!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom