Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Jedi Knight is great. The mouse controls may be a problem if you're not used to that kind of speed, but I think there is a way to lower those values from the game files. You might try using this thread as a reference. Another possible solution might be to just stop using the mouse altogether — even though it's not exactly optimal, the game is very much playable with just the keyboard, as that's how I finished it the first time around IIRC. Who knows, it might even make the movement feel a bit better.

Ash

Arcane
New Experiences in 2016:

Wolfenstien: the new order. Shit. Stay away.

Spelunky. Barrels of laughs with friends. Not much value solo. Actual good use of procedural generation of level design and other game elements, believe it or not.

Dead Space 3. Not bad I suppose, worst in the series though. I've always thought DS was decent compared to the majority of AAA these days. Not great, just above the average standard of abysmal.

The original Turok. Classic hardcore FPS. Still awaiting the re-release of the second, which I played to completion many years ago.

My "new" singleplayer experience I enjoyed playing the most this year:

Blood:

Such a good game.

Also some replays:

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night w/Mods
Hogs of War (underrated RT/TB hybrid strategy game)
System Shock 2 w/Mods
Doom w/Mods

Don't think I've played any RPGs this year, unless SoTN and SS2 count. Maybe I should rectify that.
Played a bunch of other games here and there, but nothing to completion or lengthy enough playtime to count.

Also it isn't wasting time. Gaming puts a smile on my face. Time well spent.

Last edited:

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I fricking love Dark Forces 2, man. I remember having some difficulty with the mouse sensitivity but honestly it only takes a few minutes to configure it to your liking. Worth playing, imo.

pippin

Left Hong Kong on hold when you are looking for your stepdad's memories but the matrix is so fucking tedious I can't bring myself to play it some time soon, but I will return to it.
In the meantime I started playing Risk of Rain recently since I got it from gog connect, and really got into it. Now I can actually defeat the bosses! Unlocked the Enforcer but I don't like it very much, too slow and clunky.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Tried to play Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Dark Forces II.

I dunno...I find it increasingly hard to get into FPS these days. Maybe I'm getting too old?
The main problem is that movement just feels wrong. Walking is too slow, but always running is too fast.
The mouse is too sensitive. Even when cranked all the way down and turning off acceleration on the mouse itself the screen jerks too much, so I get seasick.
I guess another problem is that it is the original game, and unlike most old FPSes I've played it's not a remake with more optimized controls. OTOH I really enjoyed LucasArts's half year older FPS Outlaws which was not a remake.

What's is the Codex's verdict on this game?
You NEED to adjust mouse sensitivity and controls, it takes 30 mins to get the setup that is good for you and it is worthy the effort. Level design is fucking good and the shooting is satisfying, the only big criticism I have for this game is the boss fights that all depend on the light saber melee system that is just shit.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Left Hong Kong on hold when you are looking for your stepdad's memories but the matrix is so fucking tedious I can't bring myself to play it some time soon, but I will return to it.

Ha, weakling*. I recently finished Shadowrun Hong Kong plus the mini-campaign and I have to say, pretty good. While I don't think the build up or the characters were as good as they were in DF, I liked the setting and the crew was plenty fun. I want to say the combat and the encounters were better but don't hold me to that statement. I just liked the way they set up a few of the encounters and how you could turn the tides in your favor... but sadly the games are still pretty easy for the most part**. My biggest gripes story-wise was the fixer being such a bitch and the boss being really easily defeated. Like most Shadowrun bosses I suppose.

* = The Matrix did get old with the stealth and hacking. I would've preferred either varied real time minigames or just a different and interesting turn based system. I would rather there be no stealth at all, and you could just do cool hacking battles. I remember going in ESP's blazing in DF.

** = Except the freaking Matrix.

Apparently I put 40 hours into the game according to Galaxy, but I'm almost 100% certain that was because of the loading times. Without them it has to be like 25 hours tops. As for a SRPG/VN-lite games the series isn't half bad. Hopefully after Battletech Harebrained will make a new more faster and intricate engine for Shadowrun (if they want to make it).

pippin

Ha, weakling*. I recently finished Shadowrun Hong Kong plus the mini-campaign and I have to say, pretty good. While I don't think the build up or the characters were as good as they were in DF, I liked the setting and the crew was plenty fun. I want to say the combat and the encounters were better but don't hold me to that statement. I just liked the way they set up a few of the encounters and how you could turn the tides in your favor... but sadly the games are still pretty easy for the most part**. My biggest gripes story-wise was the fixer being such a bitch and the boss being really easily defeated. Like most Shadowrun bosses I suppose.

* = The Matrix did get old with the stealth and hacking. I would've preferred either varied real time minigames or just a different and interesting turn based system. I would rather there be no stealth at all, and you could just do cool hacking battles. I remember going in ESP's blazing in DF.

** = Except the freaking Matrix.

Apparently I put 40 hours into the game according to Galaxy, but I'm almost 100% certain that was because of the loading times. Without them it has to be like 25 hours tops. As for a SRPG/VN-lite games the series isn't half bad. Hopefully after Battletech Harebrained will make a new more faster and intricate engine for Shadowrun (if they want to make it).

I have about 28 hours on it according to Steam. The Matrix isn't really hard, just tedious. The Simon Says game gets old.
When it comes to the encounters, I'd say that DF had lots of them with few enemies but HK has less of them but with more enemies. I think they increased the interactivity though.

baturinsky

Arcane
Still Paladins. I mostly play Ying, Grover, Victor and Cassie. Sometimes some frontliner, if nobody else wants, though I don't really like them - they are the most frustrating to play when your team sucks. Flankers I play the least - I have bad aim when target is close and actively dodges. I'm more likely to hit with a Grover axe across half the map than with an Andro point blank.

Last edited:

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Thanks will try it. I read user reviews on Steam and it sounded pretty meh. But it is hard to tell from reviews.

bloodlover

Arcane
I have just finished wasting my weekend with Fallout 1. I agree that the second is probably better but this still remains an amazing game. I kind of spent my skills in a sub-optimal way (how was I supposed to know there is a lady selling a shitload of books in the game?) but I had no problem with finishing the game. My companion was kind of useless, Dogmeat died near the end and as usual I ended up with a crapload of ammo and money that I never used.

I failed to save The Hub (though Harold did survive again YAY) and the poor ghouls in Necropolis since after taking the chip back to Vault 13 I forgot completely about the mutants and just did side-quests but oh well...

All in all, great game :5/5:

edit: During the game I met the Khans. Are we talking about the same gang that appears in newer Fallout games? Because at the end of F1 the narrator is saying that nobody ever heard from any of the members again.

Endemic

Arcane
The endings are bugged, don't worry about that.

Khans re-appeared in 2 and NV, but they're stragglers moving from place to place living a marginal existence.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Are the Vipers and Jackals raiders in Fallout 1 at all?
Nicole of the Followers of the Apocolypse told about her family being killed by raider and that they operated from a ruined city in the north. I discovered a couple of ruined cities in the north, but they were completely empty. I didn't explore the whole overland, though.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Are the Vipers and Jackals raiders in Fallout 1 at all?
Nicole of the Followers of the Apocolypse told about her family being killed by raider and that they operated from a ruined city in the north. I discovered a couple of ruined cities in the north, but they were completely empty. I didn't explore the whole overland, though.

No, they aren't the gang Nicole was referring to.
She was actually refering to cut content.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Rippers_(gang)

Redshirt #42

Augur
Way of the Samurai 4.

Picked it up on the recent GOG sale. Took me a while to get into it, but after I found out how to "Night Crawl" with the British Ambassador in Amihama, I can't seem to stop playing it for some reason.

By the way, there seem to be some spelling mistakes in the English translation. When I finished that game
by being boiled alive (how did he know?)
my Samurai Evaluation said I acted like a "Pseudo-Samurai". I think the "s" and "u" letters weren't supposed to be there?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Good reason to try again Fallout 1.5 Resurrection with new recently released patch.
Still waiting for Returning 2.0 translation I decided to try some mods for Gothic1, this time it's Extended Edition mod (Edycja Rozszerzona), with cut content (bandits, you can be a Guru) and rebalancing. So far is not that insanely hard as I imagined (mod is not russian so that's why). There are people who cleared outskirt of Sleeper Temple from Orcs in Act1 so...
Oh and they cleared out chest from Fog Tower, no more financial stability.
Don't remember paying 10ores for 1point of every stat (Str,Dex etc.) neither increased LP cost somewhere at 75.

The Decline

Arcane
In the meantime I started playing Risk of Rain recently since I got it from gog connect, and really got into it. Now I can actually defeat the bosses! Unlocked the Enforcer but I don't like it very much, too slow and clunky.

I played the hell out of Risk of Rain when it came out. Very addicting and it has an awesome soundtrack.

spekkio

Arcane
Finished Resident Evil 0 (recent PC HD Remake)

Not as good as I've remembered it from my 1st playthrough.

Good:
- Classic RE gameplay. Fixed angles, limited ammo, exploration, puzzles, shootan.
- Restored backgrounds are gorgeous.

Ugly:
- Irritating inventory system: only 2x 6 slots + possibility to leave items everywhere = worse than classic "magical crate" system.
- A lot of irritating elements:
"Oyster zombie": fast, hard to kill, blows up when killed.
Puzzle after timed section (end of train section). Jeez.
Puzzle with water and crates, either not playtested or intentionally anal (you have to push the crate 2 and 1/100 times).
- Some clear leftovers from cut content "there's no need to search this place".
- Boring level design (final area is just two long corridors), boring new enemies (frogs, insects), boring story.
- Mwahaha villain with 0 relation to your characters except the final battle.

Bad:
- Too many loading screens.
- Bonuses are mostly cosmetic (no new areas).

Verdict: :3/5:, still much better than 4-5-6

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom