Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

pippin

a huge waste of great art design.

As I've said before, this is the most accurate review for almost every game since 2004.
I do think they went to unnecessary lengths in certain games.

I just finished Republic Commando, after about 9 hours including some PS2-like special features showing a few making of videos. Game itself was a pretty fun romp, tactical squad-lite mixed in with some star wars nets you a pretty fun experience. Just get past the UI (along with some other console trappings, the aiming itself is fine though) and some bullet sponge enemies. Short, but sweet. 4/5.

Now as for unnecessary development, in the making of videos they brought in some experts to work on the art of the game. They brought a military expert to tell the animators how to make a door breach, and they brought in a Foley person from film to work on... well, the Foley. While it actually shows in-game, such as how well animated your crew is, and how satisfying it is to melee the aliens... but for a 9 hour game that's a lot. However, it was a tight and fun 9 hour game and I appreciate the overindulgence a bit.

I can't believe I haven't tried any of the X-Wing games yet, as my Star Wars binge continues. Do I need a flight stick or is KB&M ok?

They had former military working on flight sims in the 90s too. It's been going on since games aimed for "realism".

I can't believe I haven't tried any of the X-Wing games yet, as my Star Wars binge continues. Do I need a flight stick or is KB&M ok?
I'd skip straight to Tie Fighter (easily one of the best games of all time, X-Wing was good but a lot weaker overall) and yes, get a stick.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Xwing vs Tie Fighter was cool. I didn't like the others that much. If you don't want to buy a joystick you can get an Xbox controller for PC. I have a 360 controller and it is pretty good for driving and some flying. Probably an Xbox One controller nowadays. Mine was really cheap.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'd skip straight to Tie Fighter (easily one of the best games of all time, X-Wing was good but a lot weaker overall) and yes, get a stick.

Hm, can't afford a stick and don't really want one, flight games don't seem to be my thing. I can never get the controls down (Wing Commander, Descent, Freespace X series, even the all-range mode in Star Fox). I might try it with my controller since the series is so popular, and I like Star Wars to some degree. If it doesn't work out I'll just pass on those games for the time being, which is kind of a bummer.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
They are all boring as hell but Xwing vs Tie Fighter is different. Also make sure you try kb and mouse. Some space shooters work fine with that.

Don't listen to the dumbfuck newfag, Tie Fighter is one of the greatest games ever made and space sims were one of the best game genres out there - too bad dumbfuck millenials cannot play anything with more than one button, so they died down.

Don't miss out.

Siveon

Bot
Well I can't justify spending the funds for a stick, since as far as I can tell I'm just awful at anything flight related. Apparently X-Wing is so hardcore it doesn't even start without a joystick plugged in! So, that fun idea is out.

Surprisingly enough I only have two Star Wars games left in my steam library, Knight of the Old Republic I & II. Guess that'll be my finale.

Siveon

Bot
I tried doing something similar with Descent, now that I remember. It doesn't really work, given that it was made for Joystick + Keyboard. Can't imagine how it is with this. Thanks, though.

In the future I do have a $30 dollar flight stick on my Amazon wish-list. I'm just afraid it'll gather dust after a few failed sessions.

spekkio

Arcane
Both X-Wing and TIE Fighter are perfectly playable with gamepad. Cheap pad is probably less precise than a cheap joy, but with some practice, you will be popping these silly imperials rebeles left and right.
Plus it makes using the KB pointless. My gamepad layout, from my faq:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...oysticks-gamepads-like-a-pro-tutorial.104984/

8XUq9UV.jpg

Code:
left a-stick: analogue joystick (ship's direction)
triangle: x (firing settings)
square: w (weapon settings)
circle: ctrl (target object in the reticle / keep pressed and use left a-stick to roll)
cross: fire
L1: r (target nearest enemy)
L2: x (previous target)
R1: s (cockpit on/off)
R2: t (next target)
Start: p (pause)
d-pad up: i (identification / targeting mode)
d-pad down: . (shield settings)
d-pad left: f9 (laser recharge rate)
d-pad right: f10 (shield recharge rate)
right a-stick up: ; (shield energy to lasers)
right a-stick down: ' (laser energy to shields)
right a-stick left: - (decrease throttle)
right a-stick right: + (increase throttle)
Select + Square: shift+i (Order wingmen to ignore target)
Select + Triangle: shift+r (Order targeted friendly craft to report in)
Select + Circle: shift+a (Order wingmen to attack target)

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Zelda: Wind Waker

It's been 15 years since my last Zelda game (Majora's Mask). Coming into Wind Waker I was expecting a game with great puzzles (dungeons) and a cool world to explore (i.e. the means of exploration). I found the overworld to be a pain to traverse. Sailing is boring, and the "treasures" you find, no matter how cool the little islands are, end up being rupees, completely underwhelming. The combat is as basic as I remember, though using projectiles feels awful, even with the WII U's gyroscope. They added a dodge that uses the same button as the sidestep, resulting in accidental dodges (lame). It's gorgeous, sounds great, charming as all hell, but the game is clearly skimp on content, there are like 4 proper dungeons in all. I guess back when I was 10 all of this would have been mindblowing, but now it's a solid effort but I guess the series peaked with Ocarina. Let's see how Breath of the Wild turns out. Heck might as well since I got a Wii U.

:2/5: or 2/4

sser

Arcane
Developer
Jagged Alliance 2 or as I like to call it, Elroy misses literally every single shot despite using a shotgun simulator, 2.

Krivol

Magister
Battle Brothers. For last 3 weeks I think. And can't play anything else. I just bought plenty of shit on GoG sale and still playing this unfinished game. And I love it, and I cry after loosing best Brothers - damn those vampires, man!

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Still Call of Chernobyl. Somehow merged 5 mods into one pile and it only crashed 3 times.
They added recently fast travel through PDA. What a time to be alive.

Dig out Grim Dawn and took some advices from thread there for my rifle-wielding character, she doesn't sucks anymore but I'm still bitter about 2nd class and waste of points here....
Temple+... I wanted to resume my saves from finale only to find that last save was before fight with Barlog, nothx. I might do new playthrough since my monk sux balls.

Azalin

Arcane
Patron
GTA V I liked it enough to spend 40 hours to finish it but it's overhyped maybe if I was interested in the multiplayer I would enjoy it more,it would be better if it had more heists in the single player,those were the best part of the game

Banner Saga I really liked it,I will definitely get the sequel during the next Steam sale

Assassin's Creed Pirates Edition This is the second game in the series I have played so far,AC2 was the previous one,I am only 10 hours in but it looks like the people who said it's one of the best in the series were right,the pirate stuff will probably keep this one interesting enough.
Update I finished it,in the end it had a nice mix of assassin stuff and pirate stuff to keep me interested till the end,took about 40 hours and you can spent a lot more than that doing various open world stuff

Zeno Clash 2 It has some differences from the first,new graphics engine(Unreal vs Source) and it's more open unlike the completely linear first one but keeps the weirdness so far,haven't finished it yet but enjoying it enough so far

Last edited:

DramaticPopcorn

Played through some popamole.

Wolfenstein: The New Order
Entertaining game with tons of humor and heart, also gameplay felt just right and shooting nazis felt satisfying. Played almost without stealth.
:5/5:

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood
Visually it's a step up, but in many other aspects it felt like a step down. Too many forced stealth segments trivialize the experience, for the most part, shooting is fine but weapons aren't as cool and varied as in the previous installment and overall, it felt kinda meh in the end.
:3/5:

CALL OF DUTY (tm) ININITE WARFARE:
I played, through CoD 1 when it came out and Modern Warfare later on. Last year, played through Advanced Warfare and didn't really like it. The gameplay felt dull and the plot felt way too overbearing towards the main character for whatever reason. Like, every character is creepily obsessed with the protagonist and is always there to help him out or open the door for him... must be how being a hot woman is IRL. Hm, maybe it wasn't an FPS, at all.

IW's campaing is actually a lot of fun, even though plot is shit and is filled with the same WAR IS AWESOME BUT WAR IS HELL AT THE SAME TIME. They seem to have taken a lot of inspiration from BS:G in visual and environment design. Shooting is pretty bad, since it's CoD and no gun has any recoil and essentially feels the same but as far as a campy WAR IS AWESOME AAA FPS goes it's pretty okay.
Also, every character is doing army banter 100% of the time, which turns the campiness up to eleven.

Also, the GAME IS 70 FUCKING GIGS WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS MADNESS MEN WHEN WILL IT END
:4/5:

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
I'm playing Gwent, if anyone wants to play with me here's my GOG username: Nomad_Blizz

A lot has been changed for the standalone game and now it's even more fun and addictive. I don't think it'll replace Hearthstone for competitive play, but it works as a nice time killer and each game is around 10 min.

https://www.playgwent.com/en/

SbxMiFZ.png

Finished Dishonored 1 on very hard, got the low chaos ending. I disabled the objective and alert markers - some levels were pretty cool with multiple possibilities, but the game is really spoiled by being entirely too easy. Also the Outsider/supernatural powers thing was completely forced, the game would have worked 10x better without bullshit abilities, at least from a stealth standpoint.

In fact, as a stealth game it fails pretty miserably. I didn't like it enough to play through it a 2nd time killing everyone.

However, it was pretty atmospheric and the art design is probably the best I've ever seen. It's a very beautiful game and to do that using UE3 shows some real fucking talent. The sectioning off of levels reminded me of Thief 3, but Thief 3 (even though it's the weakest Thief game) was a lot better than Dishonored, at least from a stealth perspective.

Gonna play through the DLC now, hopefully it's harder. I'm looking forward to playing the 2nd game (I've heard there's a no-powers mode), but will definitely wait for a sale.

At the end of it all, I can't shake the feeling that it's all a huge fucking waste. All this incredible art, and a technically competent game that could have been so much more if only they didn't have to cater to consoletards and Bethesda.

What a shame.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Tried to play Star Wars: Jedi Knight - Dark Forces II.

I dunno...I find it increasingly hard to get into FPS these days. Maybe I'm getting too old?
The main problem is that movement just feels wrong. Walking is too slow, but always running is too fast.
The mouse is too sensitive. Even when cranked all the way down and turning off acceleration on the mouse itself the screen jerks too much, so I get seasick.
I guess another problem is that it is the original game, and unlike most old FPSes I've played it's not a remake with more optimized controls. OTOH I really enjoyed LucasArts's half year older FPS Outlaws which was not a remake.

What's is the Codex's verdict on this game?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom