Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

baturinsky

Arcane
Dark Souls 3. I could not into DS22, because it had horrible PC controls, it was thankfully fixed in DS3.
DS3 starts very frustratingly hard, but gets way easier once you figure out it's conventions. Basically, it's alike to other roll-roll-strike slashers, like DMC or Witcher3, but with tighter timings and more aggressive enemies.
Dark Souls is nothing like DMC.
They are very different, but core gameplay is very similar. Rolls with iframes and telegraphing enemies.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Just finished Furi

this might be one of my favourite games this year, it's got some really good boss fights, great music, great visuals, and even an interesting story which should be a haram thing to admit for these kind of fast shooty slashy games
you have a small set of moves throughout the game which doesn't change (save for the true final boss, not particularly in a good way), and in order to change things up, each boss has its own gimmick and requires you to approach each boss differently. it's a pretty difficult game too, people say Furi is just a test of memorization, but I think it's more about application of what you've learned rather than a fact check. on Furier difficulty most bosses which killed me many times on normal mode I could kill most of them in less deaths, even on a harder difficulty. I could see why people think that, considering how Furi is definitely more tight in telegraphed attacks and patterns over more freeform games such as Ninja Gayden and DMC. But in the end you'll feel like you have improved in terms of skill, with the inevitably low story ranking you'll receive suggesting you should git gudder

that said, while I like the story, the storytelling definitely is questionable. I like the style, but the prospect of unskippable walking simulator sections you just hold one button for 2-4 minutes to plow through isn't an interesting one. which is even more questionable considering there ARE skippable cutscenes present. not even on second playthroughs can you skip the walking sections. apparently the devs did so because they wanted the story to be with merit, but the end result was that I largely got bored on my second time around.
being able to charge your dodging to extend its length is useful, but this means that you only dodge when you RELEASE the dodge button, meaning more than often you'll end up thinking 'but I DID dodge that!', as timing is essential in this game. it takes some getting used to, but it certainly happens that you have to dodge away from a shockwave in order to make some space before you can properly dodge through it, and that just feels finnicky
the final boss is another one of those where they change your skillset for no reason, much like the final bosses in the Risen games, and is more underwhelming than anything because I was hoping for a proper mirror match
also while the game runs mostly smooth, you'll probably get some framedrops during the more intense sections of boss fights thanks to the UNITY ENGINE

despite all that, I still think that Furi is a great game with some flaws, and am definitely looking forward to more of Game Bakers

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I just realized Omnikron is in my steam library. Is it worth a shot or is it more David Cage crap?

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished Pył (Dust)

"Polish Quake" my ass... it's more like Thief or Skyrim where you shoot enemies before they gonna kick your ass.

Without the shadow of doubt - the most demanding DOSbox game EVER in terms of performance. I was waiting for it since 1999, didn't managed due my low skill. Then WinXP and later - emulations was terrible (Software mode 5-14FPS meh, Glide crashed). Few months ago some people from rusia, through their abandonware site, who dig the mood of the game, made Glide more stable. It was significant success with 12-35FPS. Whoopedoo.

Neat game with quick combat (lethal headshots, low character durability with one burst taking him down) and puzzles in almost every room. Really dig the effects like terrible aim and waling when hurt (plus blur in Glide) and random hobo with crowbar moving his ushatka hat after swing :)
Only 3 guns and 2 (welder working like Gluon Gun from Half Life, and shoulder-mounted rocket launcher) of them did not used due ammo shortage. AK-247, with 9mm ammo, two types of grenades (timed and gas), connected with your monocle:obviously: to take enemies fast through scope. Sounds easy but under Win98 and DOSbox emulations it hit performance massively, which bite your ass when you meet mercenaries who roll and dodge like Skaajrs. There are some mercs with sort of smartguns like Alien movie, lot of inspiration here (no surprise honesty, seeing where devs worked - surrounded by postcomunism factories and other post soviet gems).

Was worried I won't beat Killian due clunky combat but to my surprise - you had some sort of Cyberspace a'la System Shock to beat the game. Problem is - it's covered in darkness and red dots and there is no way to tell where is cellar and where is floor. Lot of times I spin around like a record round round. You can see there was much to do but deadlines happened and publisher with developer died ("history of Optimus"). [wild] capitalism ho!
Due terrible performance I had to save every kill and load a lot. I though the ammo and meds are scarce but they're not after first level.
There is some story but without manual and reviews from old websites or gaming magazines - you miss some things. Not required to play or enjoy the game but still niptick.

Second to last level was a Canyon, give room for breath and manuveurs.. And you get rocket launcher with uranium rockets. After all that struggling with previous claustrophobic levels - it feels good :dealwithit:

Oh and ending somehow remind me Unreal, with ship a'la Vortex Riker flying away. Similair music did job too.
I really like that kind of electronic music a'la Unreal, UT, UT3, can't help.

I just realized Omnikron is in my steam library. Is it worth a shot or is it more David Cage crap?
define "standard David Cage crap"
I would for divine presence of David Bowie

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Gave up on Onimusha 3 ~ 2/3 into the game. Hesus, what a decline...

Bad: :(

- Game combines two of the most horrible possible features of a 3D game:
a) Fixed camera angles, but with camera following the character during movement. Enjoy being hit by enemies who are out of your FOV and not seeing shit during 50% of combat encounters. Totally fixed camera can work in a 3D action game (Oni 1-2, DMC 1), but it's inferior to "TPP + camera behind the fag" (Derp Souls, 2000 others). Shit used in Oni3 (and Soul Reaver - Defiance) is fucking horrible.
b) Analogue movement is camera-dependent, instead of character-dependent. So yeah, it's Soul Reaver - Defiance all over again: you press "up" to go upward the scenery, but in next area the camera switches to another angle and your character hits the wall / falls off the ledge / goes back to previous area. Jesus Christ! You can still use old "tank" controls via directional pad, but it's impractical due to stage design (plenty of long corridors).
- To make a) worse, camera is often positioned in front of the character, so you keep going in direction of the camera, seeing shit. Even when you go left / right, character is often shown way too close to the edge of the screen, which reduces visibility and makes you bump into enemies unexpectedly.
- To make b) worse, controls in combat are still relative to your character ("tank-like", for example forward + attack = kick), which leads to total mess, esp. when camera switches to another angle while you're locked onto an enemy.
- Locking onto enemies is fucking broken. You can switch targets via right analog stick, but the game seems to be choosing targets randomly, so often after killing fag #1 you can be nicely surprised by the auto-aim switching to some fag #12 at the other end of the current area, instead of one of the fags #2-#4 who are currently raping your character's anus. Esp. horrible during Michelle's sections, who seems to be ALWAYS preferring the airborne enemies, even if they're very far away and melee fags are close. Fuck this shit.
- There's no reliable way to dodge when locked onto enemies. It's all about countering their hits in certain moment (which leads to insta-kill). The problem is, most of the time you're fighting against 4-5 enemies at the same time. Not using an auto-aim at all is often better idea...
- Game utilizes the Y-axis in area design, but to the shitty outcome. Quite often you can't hit enemies who are slightly above / below your character - esp. visible on stairs.
- Items often drop near "transition zones", which makes them inaccessible - you move in their direction to pick them up only to transit to next area. There was a reason to use good old door system in Resident Evil and old Onimushas...

Ugly: :?

- Story and writing are abysmal even by Capcom's standard. Both Navi the Oni-fairy and Reno's family life are 101% rage-inducing, immature and horrible.
- Some elements are actually pointless. For example teh fairy can "spot" and bring back to your character some items placed outside of his range (way up or some shit). I dunno what's the point of that, the devs could've used good old chest for that...
- Stages are very narrow most of the time, which, combined with increased number of enemies and shitty camera / aiming, often leads to frustration. You can't dodge, can't see much, can't switch enemies easily... You can only block and wait for a chance to hit something.
- Enemies are now locked on your character, which is esp. horrible when fighting stronger enemies or bosses. It goes like this: enemy rises his weapon to hit you, you quickly move behind his back to... get smashed in the face when he automagically follows your character's position during his attack animation. Grorious. It would MAYBE make sense in 1 vs 1 combat, but not in 1 vs 12... In Oni 1-2 backstabbing enemies was one of the basic tactics, here it's often impossible (except when COUNTERING! - press buttan in certain moment to pop a mole).
- Game relies too much on special attacks (triangle). Due to that, boss fights can be either too easy (using specials 30x) or too hard (using regular attacks). Most boss tactics described in FAQs boil down to "level up some weapon to the max and make sure that your magic gauge is full. Don't forget to stockpile healing items". Epic.
- Way too many airborne enemies, making you life a pain due to shitty aiming system.
- Some training sessions are absolutely retarded. For example during "deflecting attacks" training you can spend ~30 seconds waiting for each enemy attack. WTF?
- Locations set in contemporary Paris are banal shit boring and ugly.

Good: :)

ITmXI6d.jpg

Verdict:

rating_shit.png
rating_shit.png
rating_shit.png
rating_shit.png
rating_shit.png

It's fucking painful to play these games in order...
Oni 1: good gameplay, good story and writing, decent horror mood of demons raping helpless humans. Nice touches like ghosts of fallen bros giving you protips.
Oni 2: good gameplay, weird story of friendship and gay demons, weird mood of SF genma mixed with ancient Japan and (not always straight) romances.
Oni 3: shit gameplay, shit story, shit writing, no mood whatsoever, plenty of irritating design decisions.

:decline:

OFC 95% of reviews praises the game as "epic" and having "great gameplay" with only like 5% of (mostly user) reviews mentioning problems with camera and controls.
It looks like Hitler was right, after all...

:killit:

pippin

In many ways it's the complete opposite of usual David Cage shenanigans. From what I remember of it, Omikron has lots of gameplay, so much, that it sometimes feels like it's several games frankensteined into one. Played it looong ago though.

Update on Hong Kong: I'm getting used to it. Missions, comparatively speaking, are better/more diverse than the ones you had in Dragonfall. I particularly liked the restaurant one, and the other in the tech convention. Characters get fleshed out pretty well, and their abilities tend to be way more useful as you level up. Perhaps I had a rough start? Giving the speed boost to the hacker really helps and A LOT. Dragonfall still had a better, more personal story. I'm liking this one now, though.

Freddie

Savant
Update on Hong Kong: I'm getting used to it. Missions, comparatively speaking, are better/more diverse than the ones you had in Dragonfall. I particularly liked the restaurant one, and the other in the tech convention. Characters get fleshed out pretty well, and their abilities tend to be way more useful as you level up. Perhaps I had a rough start? Giving the speed boost to the hacker really helps and A LOT. Dragonfall still had a better, more personal story. I'm liking this one now, though.
That was my impression as well. I think many might be interested if you could post what you feel about replay value of each Shadowrun game after you have finished the main campaign and evalueted that against extended edition campaign.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Started The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind - GOTY Edition. Never played the expansions before and I was looking to play an open world rpg. This will do for these rainy/snowy days ahead.

Siveon

Bot
So are we supposed to guess what the spreadsheet is about or do you want us to ask?

I'm guessing Nobunaga's Ambition: Sphere of Influence thanks to googling "Tactic Bondbreaker", but still.

Latro

Arcane
started off my hot videogaming blitz with mansfield park: 7/10. the game wasn't bad and the harvest moon ripoff gameplay was pretty good, felt pretty railroaded in2 marrying your own cousin though

bleak house: 10/10. lots of fog and mystery, like playing resident evil in london without all the niggers

madam bovary: 10/10, the french country side is beautiful; all women are whores

Siveon

Bot
started off my hot videogaming blitz with mansfield park: 7/10. the game wasn't bad and the harvest moon ripoff gameplay was pretty good, felt pretty railroaded in2 marrying your own cousin though

bleak house: 10/10. lots of fog and mystery, like playing resident evil in london without all the niggers

Now this is a challenge, I have no idea what on earth you're talking about here, and you replaced the titles with 19th century literature.

Alright, Stardew Valley, Silent Hill and... welp you got me there.

duanth123

Arcane

Now this is a challenge, I have no idea what on earth you're talking about here, and you replaced the titles with 19th century literature.

Alright, Stardew Valley, Silent Hill and... welp you got me there.

Blood and Wine

tried getting back to dishonored this week but the gameplay puts me to sleep. doesn't hold a candle to an 18 year old game in the stealth department, and if you play it as an action game it's also boring and easy.

a huge waste of great art design.

Campion

Novice
Oh man, I haven't been here in a while.

I've done: Clustertruck, Crysis 1, Pac Man Championship 2

My friend is sending me his older GTX 970 for my bday, so I'll be finally trying more of Uncharted Raider, D44M and Deus Ex MD

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
17 in-game years and I've barely established anything in the New Nobunaga Risshiden.
The early part of the vassal play is definitely the worst part of the game.
But when they put me in charge of the castle, I start to realize how much micromanagement this game demands.
Automating assignments is so unoptimized yet agonizing over civic developments means spending 5-10 minutes per turn assigning the right officer to the right job since every task's success is derived one of the four officer's statistics. Not to mention each of them has unique traits ala CK2. And as they gain EXP, they get better trait and attribute.

04.jpg

Suppose there's a commercial district you want to improve.
It'd take:
200 Entertainment
200 Traffic
100 Safety
to hit Max Lvl of output.

Entertainment is derived from INT
Traffic/Safety is derived from LEA
But only one officer can work on it so you have to assign the most intelligent to do entertainment till it caps or the rate of return per investment is so poor you rather prioritize something else. So I have to swap accordingly.
There's also a really funny part when assigning a high INT officer on finishing up a high-tier district is not worth it since he's only contributing 4 points per turn compared to a low INT guy who did 3 points per turn. Better to just assign the High INT to a new district to get that 18 points boost per turn.
And there's more than one district a single castle. Some even has 15!
And now I have 6 castles.
Oh, you can also change existing district or expand the castle to add a new one.
There's more than 20 district types in game that gives different yield (Crop,Commerce,Conscript,Iron,Lumber)
The end game would involve controlling more than 20 such castles.
:negative:

Siveon

Bot
a huge waste of great art design.

As I've said before, this is the most accurate review for almost every game since 2004.
I do think they went to unnecessary lengths in certain games.

I just finished Republic Commando, after about 9 hours including some PS2-like special features showing a few making of videos. Game itself was a pretty fun romp, tactical squad-lite mixed in with some star wars nets you a pretty fun experience. Just get past the UI (along with some other console trappings, the aiming itself is fine though) and some bullet sponge enemies. Short, but sweet. 4/5.

Now as for unnecessary development, in the making of videos they brought in some experts to work on the art of the game. They brought a military expert to tell the animators how to make a door breach, and they brought in a Foley person from film to work on... well, the Foley. While it actually shows in-game, such as how well animated your crew is, and how satisfying it is to melee the aliens... but for a 9 hour game that's a lot. However, it was a tight and fun 9 hour game and I appreciate the overindulgence a bit.

I can't believe I haven't tried any of the X-Wing games yet, as my Star Wars binge continues. Do I need a flight stick or is KB&M ok?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom