Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The developers took an autism magnet Minecraft and turned it into an actual game. Nearly finished with Chapter 2.
What do you do in it? I always wanted a game like Minecraft but with some actual gameplay.

The Decline

Arcane
The developers took an autism magnet Minecraft and turned it into an actual game. Nearly finished with Chapter 2.
What do you do in it? I always wanted a game like Minecraft but with some actual gameplay.

It's essentially standard action-"rpg" stuff in a Minecraft-like world. You progress through the plot by doing quests for NPCs and building up the town in each chapter.

circ

Arcane

It's essentially standard action-"rpg" stuff in a Minecraft-like world. You progress through the plot by doing quests for NPCs and building up the town in each chapter.
So... Anno the Minecraft?

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
Yeah I always wanted Minecraft with more but I'm not sure that is enough. I might try it though.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Got Outlaws off gawg. This game is much harder than I'd remembered it to be :negative:

Where are you marshall ?

Difficulty is high due to enemies being hitscanners and the slow, methodic approach is needed to move through levels.

Hey, mister lawman!

This game was really a breath of fresh air when I played it quite recently. No HP sponging, and being shot is actually often fatal.
I agree the slow, methodical approach is needed. Treat it like a stealth game and play on hardest difficulty.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It gets easier once you get a scope for the winchester and can start poppin' da moles.

Also, the soundtrack is mostly just a rip off of Morricone :M Although that still makes it p. good by proxy.

circ

Arcane
Well it was just 10 minutes but looool. Sword Coast Legends is what happens when you get Uwe Boll to produce your game. It has nothing to do with DnD, the combat feels like some Facebook game and the voices are making me want to wish I was born deaf. In Serpent in the Shitlands defense, atleast it didn't have voice acting.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
After 15 hours of playing I finally beat Jedi Academy and that means that I've beat the entire Dark Forces/Jedi Knight series. The series as a whole has really high ups and downs, mainly as time went on and the developers switched, I think the quality was lowered. I'd say it went down the tube when the series became less of an FPS and more of an action game with an FPS mode.

At the risk of repeating myself Dark Forces I and II, as well as Mysteries of the Sith are some of the most fun I've had with FPS games. Dark Forces was a solid as can be Doom clone in the guise of the Star Wars with a typical Star Wars fanfiction/expanded universe feel. The levels were large and complex, the gunplay was fast and great, there was no complaints from little 'ol me here. You'll grow to love taking down every Stormtrooper, every empire bastard. You'll also wonder how the hell can stormtroopers even lose with such a great gun, because that thing can take down most foes easily. It's amazing. Every other gun is just icing at the point.

Dark Forces II and Mysteries of the Sith took some liberties, spiced up the formula with a bit of force powers and lightsaber FPS action, but the levels were just about as good as Dark Forces I and the gameplay was fast as hell. Like seriously, use force speed and you'll give Doomguy a run for his money. The FMV bits were just camp all the way and I enjoyed every second of it. While it did feel a lot more loose than Dark Forces did I think it was all the better for in. Circle strafe is also the name of the game in this one, you'll be doing a lot of it.

Mysteries was more of the same except you play as Luke Skywalker's wife(?!). Some expanded universe character, I didn't care, I got to shoot and cleave so it was all good.

...And then Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy happened. To be fair, Jedi Outcast wasn't that bad, it was a decent action adventure title with very piss poor gunplay that had some very finnicky hit detection. Luckily halfway through the game they tell you to go nuts with a lightsaber and by god do you ever. Kyle Katarn (the MC in every game except Academy and Mysteries) just goes ballistic on poor stormtroopers and aliens who can't deal with this guy. You can seriously walk through entire levels without getting hurt, and your only real threat are snipers that are miles away from you and take potshots you can't deflect. Otherwise, you can go slo-mo and basically cleave through everything that looks at you funny. Sadly it was bogged down by tedious force puzzles and terrible final boss that resulted in even more lightsaber waggling than the end of Dark Forces II.

Finally, we get to Jedi Academy. This one just basically said fuck it to the guns. Oh, the guns are there, but they're more useless than ever. You play as some no-name Jedi kid that you can choose what he/she looks like. He's more blank than the Han Solo clone, and not at all interesting. They went all out with the lightsaber fetish. Choose your color, your stance, later on you get to use Darth Maul's staff thing and two light sabers. Did I mention this came out when the Prequels were getting released? It's all pointless, since the game gets even more puzzles and a fuckton of lightsaber "duels". Oh sure, there's some cleaving Jedi Outcast style, similar engine, but now you fight a bunch of sith. Over. and over. and over again. And it always is a question of whether you're hitting him, you're getting hit, whether your force powers are doing jack squat. If you're about as good as I am, you'll have to reload every 5 seconds. Without any stormtrooper buffer I was at my wits end. I found myself having more fun with god mode and don't even get me started with the final boss.

So, final thoughts/tl;dr:
Dark Forces: :4/5: (4/5)
Dark Forces II/Mysteries of the Sith: :4/5: (4.5/5)
Jedi Outcast: :3/5: (3/5)
Jedi Academy: :2/5: (2.5/5)

Since I'm on a Star Wars binge might as well play Republic Commando now.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Jedi Outcast wasn't that bad, it was a decent action adventure title with very piss poor gunplay

nigga...

get back in there right now and do a full gun, no sabre playthrough

it's possible and it's extra fun

shameful nigga

edit

oh you also wrote this

Luckily halfway through the game they tell you to go nuts

shameful nigga

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
get back in there right now and do a full gun, no sabre playthrough

Nah, I'm good. I really wasn't a fan of the guns, at all. I used them, and some of the guns were fun to use, namely the explosives, but there was no real point in bothering to use them after a while. If I want a good FPS I'll play the other games again.

I don't like multiplayer games that much so that aspect was lost on me.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Civilization VI and Elder Scrolls Online. Mostly I'm looking to waste time until Tyranny is out on the 10th, next month. Then it'll be a matter of playing that until Watch_Dogs 2 comes out. The big question is what do I do in December and the first few months of 2017 until Ghost Recon : Wildlands comes out.

circ

Arcane
Recently-ish.

Sheltered. Some kind of Cleve-simulator. Simulator the casual way though. All you do is build better and better tiers of items, until that's done, and you're left wondering, what's the point. There are also parts for a van to gather, but that doesn't really change much. Combat is atleast TB, but it's very barebones and just consists of clicking, with little to no tactics behind it. If you could see die rolls atleast maybe that would change it up, but it's Facebook combat all over again. Well, maybe with another year or two of development there'll actually be something resembling a game here. As it is, it's just another unfinished indie title, stuck in dev-limbo indefinitely? That said, atleast it doesn't go the cheap route like some indie's and make it ironman mode (well there's perma death), and upping the difficulty artificially with low resources to disguise the fact that there's very little game available. Oh wait, it does the latter too. But the AI is so retarded it doesn't really matter.

Anyway. I also played me some Homeworld Deserts of Kharak. Crap. It suffers from similar issues as the previous instalments did - boring maps, boring units, but this time the characters received more development, which works against it. You knew nothing about Karan or fleet command or whomever previously. This time the characters get some personality, but everything else is left un-fleshed out, so it just feels hollow. I also wouldn't praise the final missions of the previous installments, but they're lightyears ahead of the stupid shit that are the last missions in this one. Specifically the last two. Not only are they extremely easy, they're retardedly padded out and designed. Swarming you with trash mobs constantly, which of course you counter with no sweat off your dick because the AI is dumb. Also, instead of actually building units, your opponent now spawns them onto the battlefield. With spawn points. Let's try an experiment. Leave some of your units near these spawn points, with healing unit support and see what happens. What. The. Fuck. ex-Relic?

Also tried Homeworld Remastered - just a bit of the first one so far. I fail to see what was remastered. Textures sure, some retarded post-processing like lens flare. Well atleast it's not JJ levels of retard. But I found myself not giving a shit about these new textures, at all. The nebulae look flat, the previously good looking interface with its orange, yellow and blue is now replaced by green and red and orange and it looks FUCKING AWFUL. And they added scan lines everywhere, without understanding how to use them. Also good fucking luck seeing a fucking thing about your ship-stacks conditions at high resolutions. You can for some reason increase the size of the interface elements, but then you can't see shit of the rest of the game. Also ship pathfinding seems to have taken a nose dive. Formations are broken. Behaviour is a joke. Event triggers are broken. Remastered my ass. Cash-grab cash-grab. Fuck Gearbox. I mean shit, there's not even auto healing, which kind of exists in Deserts of Kharak. In this - two repair vessels side by side, but one doesn't think to repair the other when idling. All that I could maybe have lived with, had they also included Homeworld Cataclysm in the pack. Probably licencing issues, but considering it's the best one, eh, go fuck yourself.

edit: lots of issues with HW 1 Remastered. Funky pathfinding that makes resource collectors try to navigate around an asteroid for 2 minutes, etc. Also played some HW 2 RM. Crashed to desktop starting with mission 3. Ok then. Good job Gearbox.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Started Star Wars: Rebellion.

The last time I played it was roughly around release, and I remember loving the hell out of it, but somehow never trying it out again.

I forgot how addicting this fucking game was

MUST

CRUSH

REBEL

SCUM

:positive:

:vader fist:

pippin

Going through Hong Kong reeeeeeeeallyyy sloooooow. Steam says it has been 8 hours, but I've played 6 of them since I finished Invisible Wars. My biggest complaint is the text. There's just wayy to much of it. It's easily 3x more than what Dragonfall had. It doesn't help that your companions seem to be blander than wet bread, excluding the rat shaman and the russian robot maker. In fact the rat girl is kinda cute. Reminds me of a girl I knew in college who kept rats as pets. Combat is fine, there's more abilities but I don't really feel like using them, for some reason. The matrix is something they will never get right. This real time puzzle shit is getting on my nerves, and the phone shit is also very tiring. I'm willing to sacrifice freedom of movement if this could be done like in the previous games. They changed it too much and it hurts.

I've never played pnp Shadowrun, though, so my opinions could be crap. Still, Hong Kong makes me think they still tried to change things which worked just fine before.

baturinsky

Arcane
Dark Souls 3. I could not into DS22, because it had horrible PC controls, it was thankfully fixed in DS3.
DS3 starts very frustratingly hard, but gets way easier once you figure out it's conventions. Basically, it's alike to other roll-roll-strike slashers, like DMC or Witcher3, but with tighter timings and more aggressive enemies.

sullynathan

Arcane
Dark Souls 3. I could not into DS22, because it had horrible PC controls, it was thankfully fixed in DS3.
DS3 starts very frustratingly hard, but gets way easier once you figure out it's conventions. Basically, it's alike to other roll-roll-strike slashers, like DMC or Witcher3, but with tighter timings and more aggressive enemies.
Dark Souls is nothing like DMC.

anvi is retarded

Last edited:
Silent Hill 2. Last time I played it was 15 years ago when it got released on PS2, so it's like a brand new game as I don't remember anything about the story or rooms. One of the most oppressing atmospheres in games ever. The quality of the art assets is amazing and the game still holds up very well today, visually - art and sound design are truly top notch.

Screenshot came out in the wrong aspect ratio, but you get the idea.

leSWy.png

Last edited:

circ

Arcane
Stonehearth

It's pretty fun considering it's still in EA alpha, a few weird glitches like ladders showing up on top of objects. Shruuug. Legend of Zelda the builder game. No end game it seems, but there's quite a bit to do. Constant NPC attacks get annoying after a while doe, and your settlers don't bang or have any kind of relationship like say in Banished. But hey.

edit: some epic memory leaks.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom