Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

nomask7

Arcane
hmm, was considering it, don't really like the art style but maybe. Thanks.
Would you say that the first entry is skippable?

Some say the first one is better in some respects, but I at least find it more repetitive and drab. On the other hand, the second one has mechs, so be prepared for a lot of robot slaughtering (personally not a fan).

And while it may seem like an accessible game, it does throw lulz-you-died at you at times, removing a large portion of your finances while doing so. Not a fan of that either.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
hmm, was considering it, don't really like the art style but maybe. Thanks.
Would you say that the first entry is skippable?

Some say the first one is better in some respects, but I at least find it more repetitive and drab. On the other hand, the second one has mechs, so be prepared for a lot of robot slaughtering (personally not a fan).

And while it may seem like an accessible game, it does throw lulz-you-died at you at times, removing a large portion of your finances while doing so. Not a fan of that either.

Yeah, that's true. You pretty much need a corrosive weapon at all times, and there are fights in the game that can be summed up as "oh, you're playing solo? Fuck you, have an instant death"
That fucking thresher with the beacon comes to mind.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Kingdom: New Lands
Weird but very good tower defense game. You play as ruler on horse and you spend coins from your pouch to aquire new things and hire people. I must say that gold coins in this game along with that pouch are fucking amazing. Weird thing to aprieciate but you will know what i am talking about when you try it. Overall it is good game and it is hard.
Spend whole day figuring out best way to aproach different maps. Beautiful pixel art graphics. Especially that water effect you can see on screenshot below.
So did you manage to beat the final island ? Can't quite come up with a solid plan for that one (mostly my issue is too few men, recruitment camps are too fucking far)

I'm playing The Way which is a lot of fun, very atmospheric and a good nostalgia trip.

Last edited:

Perkel

Arcane
Kingdom: New Lands
Weird but very good tower defense game. You play as ruler on horse and you spend coins from your pouch to aquire new things and hire people. I must say that gold coins in this game along with that pouch are fucking amazing. Weird thing to aprieciate but you will know what i am talking about when you try it. Overall it is good game and it is hard.
Spend whole day figuring out best way to aproach different maps. Beautiful pixel art graphics. Especially that water effect you can see on screenshot below.
So did you manage to beat the final island ? Can't quite come up with a solid plan for that one (mostly my issue is too few men, recruitment camps are too fucking far)

I agree Kingdom has an issue with those camps. What you need to do is always to have spare things in your camp so people you hire always will run toward camp instead of walking.
I also start going to those camp just after wave.

Then you build upgrades and once you reach catapults you expand like motherfucker always clearing forest first before you expand so that rabbits can be put up in place before you build a wall and get money. Once you get your farms running then expansion toward one side and trying to get one of those people camps inside of your borders without destroying it.

Then you can just leave about 4 coins near far end of camp and people will spawn and auto come to your main camp. There is like 4 people a day from each camp.

Just to be sure always feed knights with max coins they can take.

Once you reach about XXX day real shit starts going so by that time you have to have full treasury of gold and multiple farms going so every time attacks happens you will be able to rehire quickly people you lost (because they wander after it a bit). Upgraded towers also help a lot.

Perkel

Arcane
I actually like the first entry bit more than the second.

Same here. B1 at least had some kind of story you could follow and characters that were reasonable.
B2 instead filled everything with shit in nonsensical manner.

Though i didn't finish neither of them.

Perkel

Arcane
Soul Sacrifice Delta

:5/5:

I expected Monster Hunter clone for PS Vita, made by Keji Inafune (of mighty no9 and megaman fame for better or worse) so i expected some probably good gameplay and some shitty story to fill those random battles.

What i got ? Near-Torment level of awesome story and world design
contained in form of almost audiobook with grade S voice acting, amazing lore, + fun Monster Hunter like game but focused on getting skills and essence of monsters instead of materials and equipment.

Game tells a story about person who was trapped by sorcerer called Magusar in cage ready to be used as human sacrifice. By chance he finds a living book called Librom and that book tells him that he may still have chance to survive by reading him and learning sorcerer craft by experiencing what was writien in it. Seems simple with interesting hook but that alone can't express just how awesome whole thing is.

Game is heavy on ghost in the shell kind of ideas, meanings and so on and looking from broad perspective it almost exactly touches all things Torment did like different lives shaping different outcomes of someone.

World of SS is really fucking grim. Like 10 levels of grim below grim with only small patches of sun. Though it isn't "edgy" kind of grim it is more like desolation and nihilistic aproach to grim that blood and gore (which still is present). Think something like Berserk.

Soul%20Sacrifice%201.jpg

11570imageart02.jpg

After nearly 50 hours i finished story (i still didn't finish rest of sidestories which are many and as well great) but i can easily say that this is the reason to buy Vita. This is one of the best written games i have ever played coupled with one of the best voice acting work which is completely mindblowing because it was sold as Monster Hunter clone which usually doesn't have any story.

I read credits and Inafune did only concept while all other important part which made this game such an amazing experience like story and writing was done by Teruhiro Shimogawa. I hope this dude will get another game to write for.

i mean just listen to this random post mission writing:

Antony Byrne dude is the voice actor and he took already amazing writing and gone with it to whole new level of good.

It is a shame though this isn't full on rpg. I feel like game simply is constrained by type of gameplay they wanted to make. I love some of its ideas like sacrificing part of players body for really fucking good attacks (like gouging eye for medusa like attack which later for end of fight means like you can see only 50% of stuff), Whole sacrifice/save system also is well done and gives little Choice and Consequence.

Get your used Vita or PSTV and seriously play it. After 1-2 confusing mediacore chapters writing sets in and it flows.

also comes with great OST:

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Soul Sacrifice Delta

:5/5:

I expected Monster Hunter clone for PS Vita, made by Keji Inafune (of mighty no9 and megaman fame for better or worse) so i expected some probably good gameplay and some shitty story to fill those random battles.

What i got ? Near-Torment level of awesome story and world design
contained in form of almost audiobook with grade S voice acting, amazing lore, + fun Monster Hunter like game but focused on getting skills and essence of monsters instead of materials and equipment.

Game tells a story about person who was trapped by sorcerer called Magusar in cage ready to be used as human sacrifice. By chance he finds a living book called Librom and that book tells him that he may still have chance to survive by reading him and learning sorcerer craft by experiencing what was writien in it. Seems simple with interesting hook but that alone can't express just how awesome whole thing is.

Game is heavy on ghost in the shell kind of ideas, meanings and so on and looking from broad perspective it almost exactly touches all things Torment did like different lives shaping different outcomes of someone.

World of SS is really fucking grim. Like 10 levels of grim below grim with only small patches of sun. Though it isn't "edgy" kind of grim it is more like desolation and nihilistic aproach to grim that blood and gore (which still is present). Think something like Berserk.

After nearly 50 hours i finished story (i still didn't finish rest of sidestories which are many and as well great) but i can easily say that this is the reason to buy Vita. This is one of the best written games i have ever played coupled with one of the best voice acting work which is completely mindblowing because it was sold as Monster Hunter clone which usually doesn't have any story.

I read credits and Inafune did only concept while all other important part which made this game such an amazing experience like story and writing was done by Teruhiro Shimogawa. I hope this dude will get another game to write for.

i mean just listen to this random post mission writing:

Antony Byrne dude is the voice actor and he took already amazing writing and gone with it to whole new level of good.

It is a shame though this isn't full on rpg. I feel like game simply is constrained by type of gameplay they wanted to make. I love some of its ideas like sacrificing part of players body for really fucking good attacks (like gouging eye for medusa like attack which later for end of fight means like you can see only 50% of stuff), Whole sacrifice/save system also is well done and gives little Choice and Consequence.

Get your used Vita or PSTV and seriously play it. After 1-2 confusing mediacore chapters writing sets in and it flows.

also comes with great OST:

Nice to read someone else also appriciates this game. I LOVED it back in the days when it was released, it is really one of a kind.

pippin

I am now 1 1/2 hour into Invisible War.
The biggest problem for me here is pacing. You are just thrown in into everything, and there's not an ounce of mystery to any faction. I think it's kinda funny how they considered all endings to be true... By the looks of the game they should have considered JC&AI merge as the default ending and then go with it. Also everybody has me on speed dial,it's kinda bothersome and another factor which kills the mystery of it all. Why me? Is it because I have bad hair?
The factions themselves are OK. They came with their own ideas and I can respect that. They also are Deus Ex enough for me to accept them into the world I'm playing in.
The levels... are surprisingly ok, I must say. Yeah, they are tiny (they make you go to an apartment building and the room you need to go is the first one, right in front of you), but they thought of small details like having enemies in air vents. I think the game is worth playing just for that. Shooting the spider robots in the vents mean you can be heard by enemies, and makes sneaking riskier. Also you can be attacked while hacking. Even non-hostile characters will freak out if they see you hack shit, which is another good choice in comparison of the "time stop" hacking from DE1 (or at least I felt it was like that). I'd say the levels I've seen still have Deus Ex elements, but they are mostly 1/10th of what they used to be. The loading screens ruin everything though.
Augs are interesting here. They are divided into three instead of two, but one of them can only be used by spending a "black market" aug. They are basically the same but I don't really know if I'm that happy about needing a (black market) aug to be able to hack things. It also uses the same aug slot than cloaking. But you can swap them. In a way it makes more sense, lore wise, that they advanced the aug tech, especially since JCD is irl Jesus now. But I dunno. They feel a bit too "gamey", especially with the swapping now.
Graphics are good, although face textures are shit. I like the dynamic lightning. I also like the physics. This is the only aspect in which the game is better than the previous one.

All in all it seems to me that Human Revolution has more in common with this game rather than the first, but I'd give IW a higher score just for the fact that it tries something different. New Deus Ex feels too much as if JJ Abrams was behind it.

baturinsky

Arcane
Paladins. It's like an Overwatch, but F2P. I have fun, until the time I switch from AI opponents to real people - they wipe the floor with me :(
On the one hand, I probably should git better on bots first. On the other, it's likely giving me bad habits. For example, people are way more wiggly, so Archer girl is queen against bots, but suck against people.

anus_pounder

Arcane
Mafia III and Tom Clancy's The Division. I did make a few purchases so I'm not too bored in the future.

you could try other hobbies you know. books, films, music? there's no excuse for Watch Dogs 2 though...

Re-reading Michael Howard's The Franco-Prussian War. Also read Geoffrey Wawro and Quintin Barry's work on the same subject. Just bought Dennis Showalter's book on the Wars of German Unification yesterday, as well. I'm tremendously butthurt that I can't read either French or German since theres a shitload of Journals and such from participants in the war. Can't get enough of Austro-Prussian and the Franco-Prussian war, tbh.

pippin

ok, so windows in Invisible War are rigged to activate alarms if broken (there's an ammo mod to prevent this though) and guards notice corpses. This is cool.

Beowulf

Arcane
Re-reading Michael Howard's The Franco-Prussian War. Also read Geoffrey Wawro and Quintin Barry's work on the same subject. Just bought Dennis Showalter's book on the Wars of German Unification yesterday, as well. I'm tremendously butthurt that I can't read either French or German since theres a shitload of Journals and such from participants in the war. Can't get enough of Austro-Prussian and the Franco-Prussian war, tbh.

You should read them wearing the Pickelhaube for better immersion.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Finally got my key for Obduction (which I backed). Walked around for around 45 minutes, have no fucking clue how to proceed yet. I liked that, had the same experience in Myst the first time I played (though I think I figured out what to do sooner, thanks to that note). I'm sure I'll figure something out eventually... :M

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Been slowly playing through Battles of Norghan. Currently struggling in the 3rd division. Dunno if it's time to let go of my old gladiators and replace them with better ones. Each unit type has a stat cap and it seems like I'll be fucked hard in the end game if I try to use the human types at the highest divisions. I should probably be getting Minotaurs and Centaurs by now since they'll be able to have enough Strength to use the best weapons, for example. My guys can only use the 2nd best.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS MM6 DONE MIGHT NEED A BIT TO RIGHT CLOSING THOUGHTS CAUSE SHIT THAT GAME BECAME A CHORE

IT WAS VERYT VERY GOOD BUT LIKE XEEN WHERE I JUST WANTED TO END

REPLAYING STALKER BROS LOTS OF FUN

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I just finished God of War: Ghost of Sparta. It was a very good game, especially for being an action game on PSP. The game looks great and controls well. It's a shame that Ready at Dawn made The Order and not an action game.

I only have God of War III left to play in the series.

pippin

More Invisible War impressions:

The Cairo hub is way better than Seattle. It feels like a proper Deus Ex hub. Still smaller, but the structure seems similar to Hong Kong, several urban landscapes and a few corporate buildings. It's like half its size though, as I said. But I don't really think the levels suffer that much once you get over their size, since they still have all the typical Deus Ex elements, and there's always two or three ways to solve a problem when it comes to exploring. Vents don't always solve everything like they did in Human Revolution and not just because you find spider bots inside, you sometimes (though not commonly) will find grates you can't open by hand and need explosives. It's still good for some recon though...

One problem is found in Tarsus Cairo. There's a guy who has a secret office, which you can access from his public one. This guy's public office has two guards watching over everything and the guy himself always hangs out there, but when you activate the entrance to the secret office from this position, no one cares. I was a bit dissapointed with this, considering how aware guards and npcs seem to be.

It should be noted that laser traps come in different flavors now. Some of them liberate toxic gas, some of them just harm you (and A LOT, easily half of your life gets taken away by those fuckers), some of them trigger alarms. I am ok with this.

I'm beginning to notice how important faction missions are. You will often have 10 objectives, and some of them have two or three factions which cancel each other. They are still somewhat softhanded with you - the Order specially. They always say "I hope you know better this time", while the WTO says "I know you will do the right thing and ignore those fuckers". Besides them there's the Omar, a really weird faction of super-augmented people who run the black market, and also a really fun corporate warfare between two coffee shops. The faction thing adds a new layer to the game and I'm really digging that.

Another detail: there's only multitools now, which makes sense, since most locks are electronic now. There's lots of crates everywhere and you get to see what's inside them, since they are transparent. I think that cheapens it a bit. But at the same time instead of using one multitool and then another like in the previous game you just use two of them with one use. I think it's more comfortable this way.

In general it's a game that still deserves the Deus Ex name. I don't think it's that bad, even if it's completely different from the original. I'll even say I like it more than Human Revolution.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leechmonger

Arbiter
1. Planescape: Torment: Meh. Gameplay was predictably awful, story/dialogue was better than most videogames but that's not an accomplishment. Only memorable moments were the tomb, the memory of TNO manipulating Deionarra, the encounter with Ravel, and the encounter with three of your previous incarnations. Here are some things I wrote down as I played the game:
- Some doors are hard to spot, others are straight up impossible to see unless you bring up the annotated map
- Maze dimension is annoying
- Found my way inside Siege Tower but there was no option to share info with the abishai that was looking to do the same
- Grimoire of Pestilential Thought is cool
- Ignus was a huge threat yet no one bats an eye when I free him, even the barkeep
- Calling the chicks in the brothel "prostitutes" makes no sense. For someone who's trying to turn back on their nature Fall-From-Grace sure seems hellbent on using sex terminology. Also falling from grace doesn't sound like something evil races would give a shit about.
- The conversation where you try to talk down a Godman from committing suicide is very poorly written. Makes no sense that someone who followed that ideology and concluded that suicide was the way to go would be influenced by the argument the TNO presented
- Couldn't give Ecco the silent "prostitute" the tongue which would clearly solve her problem until I found out why she lost her voice. What fucking difference does the reason make? The solution was obvious
- Character pathfinding is 100% shit
- On a similar note, characters refusing to auto-attack unless personally attacked is retarded
- Too many filler combat areas, like the prison under Curst or the Lawful Evil place (what a disappointment that was)
- Curst is shit, town of betrayal more like town of boredom
- I can summarize this game as: [Wisdom dialogue choice]: [Say something obvious].
- Second half of the game wears out its welcome

2. Pillars of Eternity: After playing PS:T I was ready for a combat RPG, and my choices were this or D:OS. I hate RTwP so I chose to go with this first. It's not as bad as I expected (my expectations having been set by DA:O), but having worked my way deep into the Endless Paths (level 13, as far as I can go ATM) the fun has worn off. I made my PC a wizard despite being warned that the fun of spells had been balanced away. I actually found spells pretty fun, at least the CC stuff. Damage per spell is disappointing, but once you get 5 fireballs (x2 with the wizard NPC) you can put out an absurd amount of AoE damage. The camping system is retarded, on that note, too easy to abuse.

3. Serious Sam 3: It starts off really badly, then gets progressively funner. The minigun, devastator and cannon are great. The pistol and semi-shotty are useless. Using the C4 is suicidal, though it comes in handy against one type of enemy before you get better weapons. The double-barreled shotgun and sledgehammer are situational. The assault rifle is the default weapon and I wish it weren't (boring and out of place). Likewise some of the enemies are completely at odds with the alleged design philosophy of the game. Monkeys actively hide from the player, slowing things down to a crawl. Witches encourage seeking cover, are invulnerable for long periods of time (and teleport), limit the amount of damage they can take every time they are vulnerable, and just generally are an unbelievably bad fit for this game. Helicopters have near hit-scan weapons and actively dodge player rockets, again encouraging hiding. The game is at it's best when it sends huge waves of trash mobs along with bulls and mechs at you.

I'll even say I like it more than Human Revolution.

I did too. Could be because I went in expecting total shit, while I expected HR to be much better than it actually was.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
3. Serious Sam 3: It starts off really badly, then gets progressively funner. The minigun, devastator and cannon are great. The pistol and semi-shotty are useless. Using the C4 is suicidal, though it comes in handy against one type of enemy before you get better weapons. The double-barreled shotgun and sledgehammer are situational. The assault rifle is the default weapon and I wish it weren't (boring and out of place). Likewise some of the enemies are completely at odds with the alleged design philosophy of the game. Monkeys actively hide from the player, slowing things down to a crawl. Witches encourage seeking cover, are invulnerable for long periods of time (and teleport), limit the amount of damage they can take every time they are vulnerable, and just generally are an unbelievably bad fit for this game. Helicopters have near hit-scan weapons and actively dodge player rockets, again encouraging hiding. The game is at it's best when it sends huge waves of trash mobs along with bulls and mechs at you.

Underlined part is the only part I disagree with. They have their uses, but you have to know when to use them over other weapons, and why...which in 90% of cases is to save ammo. This is why I spend the first 15 minutes of the final level with the pistol: Even though the temptation to mow down SSam3's version of "You face death in the form of 99 Berzerkers, 99 Berzerkers, 99 Berzerkers and 99 Berzerkers" with your crowd control weapons is SO TEMPTING, a shitload of ammo gets conserved if you just whip out the pistol and starting picking them off. The rest of the level becomes much easier as there'll be plenty of ammo reserves for you to draw upon.

Did you also play the DLC? It twists thing around a bit, especially in the boss fight.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
a shitload of ammo gets conserved if you just whip out the pistol and starting picking them off

Or you can just spam rockets next to a rocket ammo box. Which is a strategy the devs probably should not have allowed/encouraged. That said, I only used this strategy on the very last level and never ran into ammo issues. The assault rifle was my go-to workhorse.

Did you also play the DLC? It twists thing around a bit, especially in the boss fight.

I've only played the first level so far. The homing green energy ball enemy is neat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom