Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Do not touch Bravely Default. It is hot garbage. It has nice battle system but game literally is 4-5hours of content repeated like 5 times (yes same locations, same bosses + bit harder every time + more bosses at once every time).

There are like 3-4 towns in game and all of them are literally single screen cities with almost 0 interactions aside from general shops and maybe 1 building you can get into that has actually some content.

Worst part are dungeons. They are bar none worst dungeons i have ever seen in jrpg or rpgs. Basically they are just 3d tilemaps without any kind of design behind them aside from sometimes one or two leavers.
I've beaten the first game and know all about that. When I found out about the repetition, I turned off random encounters and rushed through those parts.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Playing XCOM 2 on my toaster of a computer.
Its pretty fun, albeit with a big of stalling. Today I killed a pair of vipers in the raddest way possible.
There were a pair of them on a gas station rooftop, next to an extraction point. I fired a rocket at them, which did 3 things.

1) Made them Drop, dealing extra damage
2) Blew up the car underneath them, dealing even more damage.
3) Moved the extraction point closer to me on another rooftop, because I blew the fuck out of the first one.

gaussgunner

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity.... by far the nicest looking, most serious, most adult RPG I've seen in a long time.

First impression: it's not fun.
Second impression: still not fun.

RTwP combat is even worse than I expected. Reminds me of Starcraft. :shittydog: Select some guys, select target, watch them slug it out. Seems like the only challenge is to lead the targets when casting AoE spells, and that strikes me as a design flaw.

I'm not getting a sense of story unfolding. The NPC dialogue so far is almost entirely backstory. I'm also wondering if there'll be anything more intricate than goto/fetch quests once I get beyond the Gilded Vale vicinity. But I'm fully aware of Darth Roxor's thoughts on this game so I'm not getting my hopes up. For me, this is gamedev homework.

P.S. I'm also surprised this game has the crafting cancer. They resisted so many silly trendy bullshit mechanics but they had to slip that one in. God damn.

Last edited:

nomask7

Arcane
Played through episode 1 in Quake, on normal, then a couple of maps from episode 2 on hard. Overrated game is overrated. I can now see why ID SOFT is creating nothing but mediocre games these days - they were already doing that back in 1996 with Quake.

And the amount of fucking health packs in that game, it's like DOOM 2016 where you go down to one third of health and then refill during every fight or something. No concept of attrition and proper resource management....even Super Mario Bros got it right, why can't they? If you die in this game, it's because one battle went bad, not because you took one hit here and another there throughout the level. The decline is heavy with this one.

pippin

Looking back, most of what made Quake good was the atmosphere if you were doing single player, or the multiplayer fun if you were with friends. That was a constant as well. I still have mixed emotions about Quake 2, since I actually enjoyed playing through it several times back in the day but then I was just a kid who didn't knew better. I did noticed how everything was slower, though. Quake 3 did what had to be done and built itself as a multiplayer game.

As a fun fact one of my friends, who really likes FPS games, went back into Quake 2 recently and immediatly noticed the effects of the Dumbing Down (tm), since it felt like a big confusing chore to even control the game. The decline is real.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I had to force myself to complete Quake 1 when I played it quite recently, while I enjoyed games like Duke Nukem 3D, and Hexen 1 and 2.
Back in the days I finished Quake 2 twice. I will return to Q2 quite soon, so it will be very interesting to see how it holds up compared to my memories of Q2 and my recent experience with Q1.

sullynathan

Arcane
So I installed an emulator for the first time and I am having good and bad impressions. Devil May Cry 1 works very well and since I have a PS3 controller that's great for it. MGS3, is my first MGS game and man is it worse than Splinter Cell from the first 5 minutes. I will start the series from the beginning instead.

Tried Ocarina of Time and I have to say, for a 3D based game that's nearly 20 years old. It controls extremely well, too bad the game runs at 20 fps. If anyone has a guide on how to make this run at 60fps with HD textures, please help.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Eh, I think Quake was great. I have better memories of finishing Duke Nukem and Heretic, but Quake had a smoother and different feel to direct Doom successors. In any rate I thought the level design was superb and the gameplay to really be enjoyable. Unlike Quake 2, who really lacked any sort of impact, interesting mobs, and had awkward level layouts.

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Playing Divinity: Original Sin EE on Papamole Station 4.

Loving it, reminds me of Baldurs Gate 1/2 in many ways. The control scheme is actually decent on the console version.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Quake Singleplayer is overrated, yes.

Quake Multiplayer was an epic fragfest that set the course for future game development...both multi- and singleplayer.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Along with Half Life 2 probably the most overrated game (at least single player) of all time.
Maybe, in 2005. I found Quake 2 and 3 to be much more lauded than the original Quake, and Half Life 2 stopped being anything other than a running joke about vaporware sequels around 2012 or so. Considering how much crud has been released since those two games were made, I just find it hard to believe.

Perkel

Arcane
Quake wasn't great, it was fucking glorious.

Along with Half Life 2 probably the most overrated game (at least single player) of all time.
You must be talking about The Witcher 3

Nah HL2 was amazing at release because of graphics and muh physic gun. But once both of those got old really fast suddenly all other problems with game like shitty guns and actual garbage in game story took main stage.

HL1 and Opposing Force are leaps and bounds above HL2.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Completed both DLC for XCOM

- Play the Shen DLC mission once, then leave the option off when starting a new game. You still get the Spark if you leave the mission off, its just instead of doing a mission that kills your squad, you can get the spark by doing a simple Proving Ground project. You even get a free spark upon completion

- Always leave the Alien Hunter mission option on. As long as the mission isn't completed, Rulers will not spawn. On the other hand, you won't be able to upgrade the Hunter weapons, but it beats a bad Ironman run getting worse due to Rulers appearing when you aren't ready.

If you do want to tackle the rulers, some pointers

- Take the hunter weapons and upgrade them. With the possible exception of the pistol (which is still really good), they all have a feature that helps greatly; the axe throw doesn't cost an action, the bolt caster has an increased stun chance against rulers (apparently), and the frost bomb renders them immobile, allowing you to wail on them a bit

- The Rulers all have something called a ruler reaction, where every action spent by a soldier gives them an action during your turn. Its a bit bullshit, especially with the archon king's devastate ability which can't be avoided as you probably won't have any actions to avoid it, but it also means that anything that gives free actions is ideal, as they don't trigger the reaction. So take auto loaders, the axe, lightning hands, ect.

- Whilst the shadow chamber doesn't outright tell you that there is a ruler, it does leave a hint; missions that have a ruler tend to have fewer enemies then they normally would. A difficult mission, for example, usually has 10 enemies. If a ruler is present, it would be 8; 2 pods of 3 + ruler + ruler's follower.

- Rulers keep the damage you've inflicted upon them the last time your encounter one. Once you reduce it to half health it will try to escape. If it succeeds, it will show up in a later mission with a follower; Archon King will have a Archon, Viper King will have a Viper and Berserker Queen will have a muton

- The Berserker queen as an odd habit of freaking out and attacking nearby enemies. It was funny.

- Rulers can appear on story missions. Keep that in mind when raiding the Psi-gate and the Forge

- Damage over Time effects tick every time the ruler as his reaction, and they seem to last their full duration ie over X complete turns. This makes them really powerful, and can knock the Archon King and Viper King out of their grabs.

- Berserker Queen and Archon rulers are bullshit. They both have AoE abilities that deal little damage, but destroys cover and have a chance of rendering a soldier unconscious (so basically one hit kills), as well as having a chance of inflicting stun and disorientation. Take revival protocol.

- For some reason, the Frost Bomb counts ruler reactions as a turn. So if it says frozen 1, it really means that it will be gone after the next ruler reaction. I'm not sure if that's intended, but keep that in mind.

Some notes on the weapons

- None of the hunter weapons can receive attachments, though you can upgrade them to the next tier.

- Bolt Caster rounds cannot be dodged. So fuck you Elite Stun Lancers.

Last edited:

tormund

Arcane
Maybe, in 2005. I found Quake 2 and 3 to be much more lauded than the original Quake, and Half Life 2 stopped being anything other than a running joke about vaporware sequels around 2012 or so. Considering how much crud has been released since those two games were made, I just find it hard to believe.
TBH, I wouldn't call Quake SP overrated simply because it doesn't seem to be even mentioned and referenced that often, nor does it have that many active fans. I even remember articles we posted around here where journos either ignore Quake 1 SP when talking about series and its impact, or call it underwhelming like you guys... HL2 on the other hand is one of those games that journos and its many fans will mention and praise on every minimally suitable occasion.
So it's kinda wrong to call it overrated nowadays.

I wasn't a big fan of it either though. Firstly, I never found the combat that fun or satisfying (weapons lacked audiovisual impact, accented by bullet spongey common enemies like ogres), and the visuals and environments became tiresome after a while (first expansion at least fixed this, with levels that often felt like actual places and had some color to them).

mastroego

Arcane
Guys, need some suggestions here. I don't know what to play.
Yeah I've bought the King's Bounty entire collection a few days ago ('twas on sale) but I don't feel like playing it right now.
I don't know exactly what's happening to me but I rarely have the will to "enter" a new game's mechanics, of late.
I'm becoming a popamoler.

I've played Alien: Isolation recently (excellent), and Rise of the Tomb Raider (overall good) even more recently.
I need something else like that.
I mean something accessible, not too hard to learn (while hard to master is ok), some satisfying shooting possibly, and then be done for a while.

Plz help, no judging. +M

Last edited:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
I actually like the first entry bit more than the second.
Borderlands 2 is more popular (and as such more opportunities for Co-Op, which is what the series was built for) and doesn't have as slow as a start though, which is why I suggested it.

The art style in BL1 is a little better, imo. Its still cell shaded, but its a bit more gritty and doesn't look as cartoony and polished.
BL1 doesn't have forced humor nor a over the top bombastic story either. BL2 felt like a big dumb American action movie, something that Bay would come up with.

Other options are Shadow Warrior (2013), which has a neat dashing mechanic and satisfying melee combat and Binary Domain, which was surprisingly good for a cover shooter.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom