Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

circ

Arcane
10 minutes of Read Only Memories and that'll do it for me.

If I want to know what it's like to be a journalist in San Fuckisco I'll shoot myself.

Really bad writing. Really bad art even for pixel. Discount elevator muzak.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
There is nothing good about Read Only Memories. Besides the fact that they were inspired by good Japanese games, does not make up for the fact that it's preachy and pandering as fuck. VA-11 HALL-A is supposedly in the same universe, but it's way better than it's retarded cousin. Go with that.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
It (ROM) is like a really shitty Snatcher without the creativity or style or humor.

Wulfstand

Prophet
I've stumbled upon what, to me, is the equivalent of finding your future favorite shirt while thrifting through outlet shops. Namely, I found a fan-made Warcraft 3 campaign adaptation of Glen Cook's The Black Company. The difficulty is off the charts most of the times, and the gameplay is sometimes reminiscent of Myth (which feels like a clever homage from the developer). The cutscenes are ridiculously long and are unskippable. They sometimes made me think that the guy who made the thing was secretly dreaming of having directed it into a tv show (a Black Company tv show, here's a pleasant thought). While not being able to skip them does kind of suck, if you actually try and immerse yourself you'll end up amazed at how close of an adaptation it is to the first book. Sadly, the project was left unfinished, but its more than a dozen maps plus (literally) hours of cutscenes should keep most occupied well enough. What a fucking gem.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Still playing Miles Edworth Investigations. This caught me unguarded:

franny-crop(d).gif

I was laughing like good minute. MEI is easily best AA game after AA1. If i had to rate them it would be now like these:
AA1 > MEI > AA2 > AA3 > AA4 > AA5

One of my guilty pleasures of internet memes was the Phoenix Wrong craze back in 2007 (shit, was that 9 years ago?).

You can start here and just follow the links if you want to see more, some of these are hilarious...and that's coming from someone that hasn't played ANY of the games!

(The original Flash files are better though)

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've stumbled upon what, to me, is the equivalent of finding your future favorite shirt while thrifting through outlet shops. Namely, I found a fan-made Warcraft 3 campaign adaptation of Glen Cook's The Black Company. The difficulty is off the charts most of the times, and the gameplay is sometimes reminiscent of Myth (which feels like a clever homage from the developer). The cutscenes are ridiculously long and are unskippable. They sometimes made me think that the guy who made the thing was secretly dreaming of having directed it into a tv show (a Black Company tv show, here's a pleasant thought). While not being able to skip them does kind of suck, if you actually try and immerse yourself you'll end up amazed at how close of an adaptation it is to the first book. Sadly, the project was left unfinished, but its more than a dozen maps plus (literally) hours of cutscenes should keep most occupied well enough. What a fucking gem.
Yeah, playing this was what got me into the books.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
Played a bit of Mother Russia Bleeds. Dislike the pixel art but otherwise it is a decent if a bit underwhelming brawler. Get MAME however and you can play all the glorious ones from back then whom still kick this ones ass. For instance stuff like Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Dungeons and Dragons, The Punisher, Captain Commando or my own fav Konami's Violent Storm.

Or simply get the Streets of Rage Remake for free.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
r. I tell you, JA2 always seem to get really aggravating at the end when all your enemies seem to bypass the game's rules at will. My favourite will always be when a lone soldier runs through a door that's completely covered by my level 7 elites with 90+ agility and marksmanship and still manages to unload a clip in someone's face and then promptly leave again, without any interrupts.
cj_pewpew.gif

just JA2 AI as usual...
can't wait for autists coming here and explaining why it's realistic/fair/well designed/balanced/a good thing, like these people justifying pistol in Doom... or enemy pistol range in JA2 for that matter.

Was about to play D:OS, then I realized I should play PoE first
:nocountryforshitposters:
nigga u better rethink your life or something

Last edited:

gaussgunner

Arcane
I keep hearing about 1.13, gotta try it sometime, doubt it'll change my first impression of JA2: impressive as hell, but overly ambitious and under-polished.

I'm a few days into D:OS and I'm getting some of that vibe, not surprising for a million dollar kickstarter game from an established developer. 3D world, stuff everywhere, nobody NPCs making smalltalk, pointless arguments between the PCs, Vogelian walls of text (broken up into bite size pieces)... all voice acted (gotta turn that shit off). Anyway, I'm level 3 or 4, completed half of the sidequests in Cyseal, only been in about 5 fights, and the next enemies are too strong. Maybe that means there won't be too much trash? Weird though. On the upside, I like how thievery and subterfuge are a major element of gameplay. Splitscreen coop mode is pretty cool, although it requires console controllers. No dumbing-down for consoles here; I feel like a moron trying to use this fancy controller UI. Nice being able to lean back in a recliner and play... guaranteed to cure insomnia.

Still playing Divine Divinity too. Seems like the better game so far. Better looking by far, at the resolutions it was designed for. I finally got it working in 1920x1080 but it's too crisp, soulless, distant. Much better at 800x600.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
Was about to play D:OS, then I realized I should play PoE first while I can still stomach RTwP. Booted up PoE only to realize that if I'm gonna play RTwP garbage I might as well try Planescape Torment, so that's what I ended up playing. It's pretty cool so far. Finished the Drowned Nations but apparently I can no longer finish Many-As-One's quest without turning the Undead Nation hostile.

PS: The Undead Nation is one tiny fucking nation.
PSS: 18 Wisdom and 18 Intelligence but the Nameless One can't figure out to use a mirror to read his tattoos on his own. Probably should have gotten that shit written upside down on his chest.

Perkel

Arcane
PSS: 18 Wisdom and 18 Intelligence but the Nameless One can't figure out to use a mirror to read his tattoos on his own. Probably should have gotten that shit written upside down on his chest.

That is what you get when you have dexterity of cow.

BG1. Last time I played through was with BGT around 2 years ago, but this time it's a fresh vanilla install + TotSC, only mods I'm using are widescreen, UI and unfinished business.

It's been over 15 years since I've done a playthrough without major mods and it's way easier than I remember - I never realised encounter composition was so radically different in other interpreters (BGT mostly).

I miss the QoL changes of the BG2 engine though, mostly the highlight key. I also don't remember the fog of war being this ugly.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Just liberated Wolfenstein: The New Order

MachineGames certainly tried with this game, and there are many things about this game which are excellent, but there are also many things which drag this game down more than necessary. Some guys called this a retro shooter because you don't have regenerating health and because you can dool-wield, but TNO is a FPS more in the style of 1999-2006 shooters such as FEAR, HL2, Doom 3, and so on. Yet it still throws some more modern things in the mix.

A premise where the Nazis won WW2, have conquered the entire Earth, erected concrete monstrosities, set foot on the Moon, nuked America first, and crushed all forms of resistance, is fairly interesting. The art guys must've been really proud of their work, as the game gladly shows you all kinds of concept art and designs as you play through the game by shoving an concept art unlocked reminder in your face every five minutes or so. But their pride is not unjustified, the retro-futuristic art design with a tinge of Nazi Germany (Aharoni fucking everywhere) is really what sets apart TNO from other games visually. The team really worked hard on envisioning such a future and all the technological advancements which would come with it. What also sets apart TNO from other games is MEGATEXTURES, which ensures you will never see the same texture twice. Every environment is visually distinct from another as each environment is packed to the brim with unique details (perhaps too much), though a downside to Megatextures is that they only look good from a distance. Shove your face in the wall and everything will look like a PS2 game.

The music for TNO is alright. It is composed by Mick Gordon, who also composed D44M's OST, which I didn't think was alright, and another famous heavy metal guy called Fredrik Thordendal. Right from the main menu a theme plays where you can tell straight away SHIT IS FUCKED, through masterful use of distorted guitars and choirs which excellently set the feel of the game. The more noisy songs like this one can be attributed to Mick Gordon, that's really his trademark style by now. Just like D44M, I like his songs when I hear less dubsteppish sounds and more rocking guitars. I bet the more heavy metal-ish songs can be attributed to Fredrik. The most stand-out track has to be the theme when you raid Deathheads' HQ in the last level, just listen to that shit. Unfortunately the sound options for this game only have a Master Volume rather than separate volume sliders for sound, music, and so on. Overall, there's some really good shit in here and some more average stuff.

I wouldn't say that TNO is a mix of retro and new, rather less-retro and new. There's really three ways you can play this game, like a stealth game, a popamole cover shooter, and John Rambo wielding two guns at a time. However, you can never stick to one playstyle for the entire game due to the way the game is set up. There are thankfully no forced stealth sections, as stabbing everyone in the face works just as well in levels where nobody has guns. There are forced combat sections, however, but that's not really that bad with this kind of game. Playing stealthily lets you take down less enemies with less hassle as a silenced pistol absolutely trivializes stealth (though the game does frequently take away your weapons), and doing so is really the easy way through. Playing the game like your standard cover shooter lets you hide behind rocks and shoot enemies safely, as most nazis go down fairly easily, but it's not that fun. You can dual-wield at any time, which gives you increased firepower at closer ranges, but exposes you to danger greatly as almost all enemies are hitscan and will shred your ass if you aren't behind cover, so dual-wielding is only recommended to do in close ranges. Of course, since most enemies aren't really that aggressive and will stick behind cover too, dual-wielding is at its best when the levels allow you to flank the enemy through many tight passageways, like in FEAR. Unfortunately, this is not always the case, and as a result the best moments of TNO are few and far between.

The story goes as follows: nazis stole some Jew technology, nazis won, you got knocked into a coma for 17 years, wake up as everything's changed, and then kill nazis, find the resistance, kill nazis, kill nazis, kill nazis and kill na
Along your path you will find many characters, especially the villains get a good amount of screen time. I did like the Tarantino-esque approach to the villains where you get introduced to them in one way or another before fighting them, and they end up being more memorable than most generic Nazi lieutenants. Deathshead's smile has to be one of the most genuine smiles I've seen in any videogame.
Allied characters are also written in ways which make them stand out from others. Not great, but good enough.
B.J. is pretty much what you'd expect from a Nazi-killing badass who's been stuck in a crazy house for 17 years. All he cares about is killing all the nazis and Deathshead in particular, which tends to have adverse effects on one's psyche. Sometimes he tells stories of his childhood to himself which are somewhat related to what's happening on screen, and everyone comments on him being a rather crazy fuck. When people in-game told me to flat-out KILL THE NAZIS!, I couldn't help but smile with glee. And that's why I think all the effort placed in the story feels wasted. There's alot of supplementary story tidbits in the form of letters, concept art, diaries, and all kinds of shit. Not even Marathon throws that much at you to read at once. A lot of effort is placed into worldbuilding, but the gameplay treats all of that as just a background setpiece for you to kill Nazis in. In the end, it's really just about killing a lot of Nazis, and all those personal letters pale in comparison. If TNO were a different kind of game where you actually got the time to talk to the people, see the effects of a Nazi empire on the people, basically a game where all that worldbuilding can be properly explored other than combat, we'd also have a setting that's interesting to explore and find out more about it. There just isn't much that makes you care about the deeper parts of the world because you are a badass who must kill all the nazis.

What's also kind of a bother is the stop-start-stop-start method of storytelling TNO, as after every two-three fights or so you end up having to deal with more STORY. And the STORY present isn't all that engaging as it mostly involves people talking, some cutscene, or whatever action you are performing which you have no control over. Compare this to the horror sequences of FEAR which served as an intermission for the combat, which weren't pantsshittingly scary, but they were subtle and freaky enough to keep the player on his toes and engaged. Both do the same thing by not having me kill things, but one of them keeps my attention.

Most enemies you face are nazis with light or medium armor. They die fast, but on Über difficulty you'll be torn to shreds if they flank you. There's Kampfhunden which are armored dogs who lock you in a ridiculous QTE where you repeatedly stab each other in the shoulder until one of you gives up (same goes for melee nazis), and is inevitably how most melee encounters end up as most melee enemies inevitably pull you into doing so. You can block, but it is pointless as it only reduces damages rather than nullifying it entirely. Then there's Commanders, who you can take out stealthily, or just make some noise so they can call in reinforcements. They're a neat way of controlling how much opposition you want to face (if you want to face any enemy that is). They tend to hide and stay in the back, which is a nice touch.
Each FPS also needs heavy enemies, which in TNO comes in the shape of Übersoldaten and heavy armored shotgun guys, and on Über diffculty those guys are SHIIIIIIIIIT. Loads of HP + highly-damaging hitscan = FUCK YOU. Initially I thought TNO was easy despite me playing it on the second hardest difficulty (Über), that is until those guys came along. Even if you are blasting two auto-shotguns in their face, they will still wreck your shit because they do not know the meaning of hitstun. These fuckers are more dangerous in open areas where you have barely anywhere to cower behind. Sometimes the game straight up gives you a heavy machine gun to just deal with the problem like some kind of band-aid, but most of the time fighting them is not fun. You should have been able to kill them quicker with a rocket launcher or the Laserkraftwerk, but you only get them way later in the game. Had the heavier enemies been projectile-based, this wouldn't have been as much of an issue. Later on there's rocket-launching heavy guys who are precisely less of a bother because they fire PROJECTILES.

Your weapon arsenal consists of pistols which you'll mostly use for stealth, a knife whose usefulness pales in comparison to a silenced pistol, two assault rifles which you'll use for pretty much everything, a sniper marksman rifle which you'll never find any ammo for, two auto-shotguns which are AWESOME if there's any non-heavy enemies not hiding in range, a Laserkraftwerk which is upgraded over the course of the game from a laser cutting tool to a harbinger of death which requires to be recharged after every shot, there's detachable machine gun emplacements, and later on the Marksman gets a laser attachment whereas the Assault Rifle gets a rocket launcher attachment. The shotgun also gets bouncing pellet ammo which ricochets around walls, but I didn't find it to be that useful. The grenades in TNO rarely kill anything and work better as a stun, but at the same time their range tends to feel too small in order to feel useful. The weapon balance is -ok-, there's reason enough to change weapons time to time, but still feels rough around the edges considering how efficient most guns already are by themselves at killing nazis. The universality of the assault rifles (and dual assault rifles) makes other weapons feel like their situational uses are not as useful when (dual) ARs can do the job well enough on their own.
But the gunplay is just HNNNNNNNNNGH. It feels great to fire your guns, it feels great so hit something with your guns, your guns look great, your guns sound great, unleashing your dual auto-shotguns on a pack of confused nazis is the greatest thing. Unfortunately your guns don't have much effect on the backgrounds, as MEGATEXTURES turned everything in the background in one giant background decoration with no individual moving parts.

Another thing that needs to be talked about is the items, of which there are shittons. It's unlikely you'll ever run out of ammo for the assault rifle, while using shotguns have to be used in moderation considering that shotgun ammo is relatively sparse. There's always enough health items so you'll be walking with 100 HP in and out of every enemy encounter, though the same can't always be said for armor. Most enemies do drop a helmet on death, which grant you +5 armor every time you pick one up, just don't fret over how that works. With the abundance of health items, someone must've come up with the idea to let the player overcharge their health, meaning you can sacrifice using medkits in the long term in favor of higher chances of survival in the short term by temporarily boosting your health, which is a neat idea. I think your boosted health drains a bit too quickly, but that's just my opinion.
However, the overcharging mechanic's potential is diminished by how you pick up any items in TNO, as you do not pick them up by walking over them like in any other FPS, but you have to look in the vicinity of the item and press E. Not only does this slow down whatever it is you're doing in order to patch yourself up or pick up some ammo, and is a massive pain in the ass, but having to mash E while on an overcharged killing spree doesn't exactly keep one in the zone.

Thankfully there's no limit on the weapons you can carry, your stamina is infinite, your health regenerates in segments (which begs the question why items which heal +4 aren't just +20 because of how the regeneration works), so tiny mistakes are forgiven and you at least have a little bit fight in you when your health regenerates to 20 HP (which is gone in a flash on Über, mind you). Additionally there's a sprint slide, though I never used it because it limits your ability to aim to just in front of you, and doesn't seem to reduce the chances of you getting hit. Save for a few platforming sections, it's quite useless really other than looking cool in front of your friends and promo footage.

As with most modern games, there must also be upgrades, which comes in the form of perks. However, rather than obtaining points as you play the game, unlocking these perks usually involves requirements which you must fulfill like killing a bunch of guys from cover, shooting a bunch of guys in the head, stabbing this many people from behind, overcharging your health over a 200, killing multiple guys with one grenade, and so on. These aren't required by any means, but they do make things easier. Initially I was constantly switching to the perk screen to see if there's something I could do to complete perk challenges, though that's just me being a completionist, and thankfully you won't have to worry about perks too much later on once you've completed most basic perks anyways. But I like that for once getting upgrades involves playing the game rather than obtaining arbitrary points.
Somewhere around the first act, you must make a decision which places you in one of two timelines. What this does is change some cutscenes, decide whether you get the lockpicking or hotwiring minigame, and decides whether you get maximum health or armor upgrades (hint: health upgrades are more useful). It does add a bit more replay value, though I ended up liking Fergus more because he's a pretty cool guy with an accent.

The level design is a mixed bag, really. Sometimes you get to choose your own approach when commanders appear, who you can kill stealthily, or have them set off an alert so more cannon fodder can appear for you to shoot. Sometimes you are in an enclosed space with a lot of winding hallways which let you flank the enemy in many ways FEAR-style which are by far the better levels. Sometimes you are funneled in an outdoor linear area where you can't move anywhere without being shot. Sometimes you are stripped of your weapons and have to temporarily stealth your way through before you get some weapons. Sometimes you are forced in a setpiece moment where you are piloting some kind of vehicle or some big beast chasing you. The levels with the commanders are the best, which is probably unintentional by design, as forced combat sections don't give you much space to move around, whereas you can use passages meant for stealth in order to flank the opponent. Thankfully the AI in TNO isn't psychic and will only focus at your last known position, otherwise flanking wouldn't even be possible at all.

One thing I think all games should keep in mind that you should be able to play offensively and defensively. Playing defensively means picking the safest options for your survival while not being able to use all mechanics in the game to your disposal, which in TNO's case is playing the game like your standard cover shooter. Playing offensively implies high risk and high reward, using all mechanics of the game to your advantage, and usually implies high-level play. Which in TNO's case is moving around efficiently, using the right weapons, using grenades as a distraction or a stun, and so on. In the olden days, a balance between offense and defense was achieved with fast player movement and projectile weapons, amongst other things. If you got hit, you didn't dodge right. If you missed, you didn't aim right. In modern first-person shooters, being hit is a matter of staying out of cover for longer than a second because of how every FPS uses hitscan now (because it is realistiiiic) and turns most combat encounters into a game of whack-a-mole. Hitscan and regenerating health encourage defensive play rather than offensive, and as such the skill ceiling (in singleplayer modes) feels rather low. And that's where level layouts come into play.

I keep comparing this game to FEAR because FEAR got it right and TNO almost seems to realize that unlike most contemporaries. Flanking a bunch of nazis with double shotguns is more fun than sitting behind a wall only to pop some heads with your AR every now and then. Defense in FEAR relies on constantly changing positions and outwitting the opponent rather than dodging projectiles or hiding behind cover. Even more fun is when the enemy is capable of doing the same thing to you, which is the very reason why FEAR's AI is held in such high regard. When both parties are trying to outwit eachother, what can you expect behind that corner? Unfortunately TNO's AI's doesn't really come close to that, but in terms of level design it manages to nail that feeling every now and then. Modern hitscan-reliant shooters need to take a good look at FEAR and at what it did right, and expand on that. Perhaps I'm deepthroating FEAR right now, but if you can name me a hitscan-reliant FPS released after 2004 which makes the same use of level layout as FEAR did, I'm all ears. I can only think of the first half of FarCry 1 and Black. I don't know if I should count predator games like FarCry 3 and MGS V considering their open-world nature and relatively overpowered nature of the players.

Overall, Wolfenstein: The New Order is a game with great visuals, an ambitious story, and gameplay which is great every now and then. We were left on a cliffhanger, so maybe we might see more of TNO in the future. It's an ok game which might be a worthwhile purchase in a sale, depending on what you like most in videogames.

And after that, I also played Wolfenstein: The Old Blood

Needless to say, I liked TOB more than TNO. First off, level design is better all around, it has much more of those open commander levels I liked so much in TNO. Second, there's comparatively less story intermissions. After you escape from your jail cell, it's pretty much running and gunning your way through Castle Wolfenstein with a minor torture sequence to break things up until you get to the Bavarian village. Third, the bulletsponges are gone. Shotgun guys now reasonably die within half of a shotgun clip, and Übersoldaten can be taken down with stealth (considering the difficulty of taking an Übersoldat down, you'll be more likely to consider the stealth option). Fourth, the first half of the game you are running around half naked, which is pretty damn cool actually. Fifth, The Old Blood can be considered a reimagining of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, with the same amount of Wolfenstein-escaping and supernatural involved, and I kinda liked RtCW.

The weapons are also somewhat different. Your regular ARs have been replaced with older version whose magazines are smaller, your shotguns are semi-automatic, you obtain a bolt-action rifle for long distance sniping with plentiful ammo this time around, and you also get a flare gun which fires explosive projectiles, which are somehow more effective at blowing things up than a grenade. You do get the sniper and explosive weapon earlier in the game than TNO, so in my book the weapon arsenal of TOB feels better than the TNO arsenal as visually they are on an equal level.

TOB is a prequel to TNO, where you must Find The Files to Deathshead's Compound from a fat lady called Helga who has a penchant for the supernatural. It starts off with you and a fellow Brit infiltrating Castle Wolfenstein undercover, until scripted sequence happens and you get thrown into jail by Rudi, some big guy who likes dogs. What follows is obtaining The Pipe, which this game seems very keen on forcing as something essential to the game, yet is never seen in TNO (probably because the Laserkraftwerk had that role). You can use the pipe to takedown enemies, and there are two modes where you take the pipe apart so you can use the head and the sharp end for stabbing, or just stick them together in order to transform the pipe into a pipe and hit harder, which is probably what you'll be doing most of the time. The pipe is used to open things, and climb walls with a particularly unengaging QTE. It's also used for breaking weak walls.

After that follows a stealth section. While TNO didn't outright FORCE stealth on you, having to sneak up on Übersoldaten without any decent weapons doesn't leave you with much choice. You can take one out stealthily and assault the rest with their miniguns, but doing so tends to leave you exposed to minigun fire of other Übersoldaten. Taking down Übersoldaten involves powering down a power source by holding a lever for five second, as you finish them off with a takedown. Rinse and repeat. These stealth sections aren't really well designed as they could have been, you'd think that patrolling hulks of steel with their weakness in the middle of the route would prompt more interesting layouts, but alas. Then you find yourself some guns and break outta prison. What follows is a terrifying journey into the world of magic, mystery, and violence.

Just killing squads and squads of nazis in Castle Wolfenstein without any hassle feels good. You briefly get tortured by Rudi, but break out again and kill his dog, and after that you escape on the railcar to the snowy Bavarian village wearing nothing but pants and shoes. More shootouts ensue in the village and its underground mines, until you reach a bar where you must help fellow allies escape by fighting off Nazis. This ends in a boss battle against the aforementioned Rudi wearing a powersuit because he's fucking PISSED that you killed his favourite dog and openly laments about how great and happy that augmented half-dog half-killing machine was as it tore the flesh of many prisoners. In retrospect the boss battle wasn't that hard, but a man treating a trained killer as his best friend is pretty hilarious.

And so you escape with your allies in order to make your way to a tavern where Helga is residing. You don a waiter outfit, enter a tavern where a Nazi party is going on, get stabbed in the hand because of your terrible German, when suddenly zombies happen. Apparently everyone who dies gets turned in a flaming zombie now, also known as 'shamblers', because of the underground gas (oh the irony). Dealing with zombies is fairly easy, even in groups. Just dual-wield ARs and aim for the heads. Zombies hit really hard and can unpredictably start to charge towards you, so you can't exactly hold down the trigger buttons and let go. It's a decent break from shooting Nazis, sort of like popping Clot heads in Killing Floor, but there's no special zombies aside from the occasional Nazi zombie which is able to inaccurately fire a gun at you. Also worth noting is that there are zombies falling from the sky. There's even a sequence where BJ saws off the barrel off a coach shotgun because no zombie killing is complete without a sawed-off shotgun.

What's more interesting is how the zombies interact with Nazis during gunfights with you, as anyone who dies get turns into a zombie, so you can turn people into zombies and have them distract the Nazis, and then sneak up on the rest of the Nazi bastards. Unfortunately the game is near its end at that point, so there aren't that many levels which involve Nazi-zombie infighting. The game ends with some more tomb raiding and a final boss fight against a massive blind monster which responds to sound, which is rather easy. You kill the monster, grab the folder, and get ready to assault Deathshead's compound in the sequel...

While some might consider the campy B-movie story a bad thing compared to TNO's story, I preferred TOB's less intrusive story which accepted its own nature. Sure, there's not as many characters, dramatic storytelling, or as much shit to read, but it suits the journey of an American Nazi-killing lunatic in more ways than TNO did. The visuals are still amazing, with a beautifully detailed Castle Wolfenstein and the captured beauty of a snowy Bavarian village before and after everything went to shit. It has more of TNO's best with less of the fat, and that's why I prefer TOB over TNO.

Last edited by a moderator:

Machine

Arbiter
Rimworld a15. My boreal forest colony got dumpsterd by bionic legged nigger on go-go juice, machete raped everybody. Guess I should've named my colony Sweden or smth.

10/10 GOTY

Perkel

Arcane
Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice:

Pw2.jpg

1st case was ok but developers seem to have problem. They jugle between few different chars and few different concepts for invastigation made for separate games thus this all seems like clusterfuck a bit.

Also framerate is garbage. In one place it was like 15-20 fps and i had to fucking tap on lower 3ds screen to sprinkle dust and due to that half of my tappings didn't even register.

I started second case and it is obvious case when new people need to find about character thus case is pulled from ass. Also fucking second time same case ? I mean i get that new people need to get to know characters but second case basically is same case that was in AA4 with stage magicians.

With how it goes by AA10 they will need to fucking do whole game for new people to introduce characters only because they can't seem to acept that sometimes it is better not to explain things to new people.

sullynathan

Arcane
igayr9.jpg

Completed Pandora Tomorrow. It was pretty good in the long run. It has better mechanics than the original splinter cell and controls better but the first 4 missions had some pretty banal and boring levels. The last 4 levels on the other hand was very good. The new mechanics get used far more and so do some of your other gadgets. The game also gives you more lee-way in how you can complete a mission. I can't help but feel like these pre-Chaos Theory splinter cell games haven't aged all that well. The Shadow stealth ends up feeling very black and white, step into one side you're hidden, move out a little and you're lit up so that everyone can see you.

It also feels like the games were made with a checkpoint system in mind and not the manual save option given that it is too forgiving. Playing Chaos theory right now and for 2 levels so far its been pretty good. I can clearly see why it gets so much praise and it remedies some of the problems that the previous games had and it aged quite well graphically and mecahnically.

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Super Hot
pretentious, infuriating division between gameplay and narrative. death animations are great, guns have umph, but there isn't much beyond that. so glad it was over after the first hour or so. not even the devs knew how to stretch out the game.
:2/5:
don't bother

Mustawd

Superhot seems like a great game to play with some buddies and some beer.

Ivan

Arcane
what is pretentious about superhot? the narrative is almost non-existent.

20 min into the game, the narrative is forced like a dick down your throat. unskippable dialogues, tedious forced "scenes" walking down corridors. fuck. the less said about that shit the better.

Once I thought, just get me into the fucking game. then I found there wasn't much to it (no crouch, no slide, no reload, no real possibility for "good" player expression save for bunny hopping). the idea is cool, it just didn't hit anywhere near as close as Hotline Miami did with its goals.

multiplayer huh? Hopefully they can go crazy if they make a sequel.

Ivan

Arcane
Inside (Limbo successor)
I never expected to like this as much as I did. I don't have fond memories of Limbo. An indie puzzle game w/puzzles cuz why not and that bit with a spider. This, however, tells a much more concrete story in a way Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons did, or, if you're older, Ico. The story is disturbing, its scripted sequences are all pretty fantastic. There's one bit that I will forever remember that deals with player agency (a great reversal of forced cutscenes in typical action games) read if you're curious
there's a bit where you find yourself in a single file line and you have to "move" the way others do so as not to raise suspicioun. there's a bit where a dog suspects that you are not like the others and begins to bark. it creates this wonderful moment of anxiety where you don't know if your cover is going to be blown or not. you could stay in the line OR you could break out of it.
So many surprises lurk in "the facility." Control is never taken away from you, puzzles are not too difficult (got stuck on 1 "easy" one I totally misread) and it's over in 2-3 hours. Torrent it, buy it on sale, just make sure you play it.
:5/5:
INSIDE_05.jpg

Adon

Arcane
Resident Evil 0

Dug the game a lot, but I can see why it is one of the least liked games in the series. Lack of item boxes means there is a crazy amount of inventory management in comparison to other classic RE titles. Already by the time you have finished the train section, you have to manage what you want to carry with you. Not because there is a plethora of items that you need, oh no, it's because the shotgun and the hookshot take up 2 inventory spaces each with both characters only having 6 inventory slots. When you get the grenade launcher later on, that also takes 2 blocks inventory. But fortunately you can drop any item *anywhere* and pick it up when you like. As a result this might mean more backtracking than usual because of your limited inventory so you'll have to think ahead of time about where to drop certain items like the godforsaken hookshot that you'll need farther into this game than it should've been.

This is also one of the tougher RE games. The exterminators (monkeys) are brutal if you let them get close to you as a group, and always expect them to show up as groups. Mimicry Marcus (leech men) have an absurd range (talking Dhalsim levels of reach here) and are tough as shit unless you use molotov cocktails or a grenade launcher. Hunters seem harder to dodge in certain parts of this game in comparison to say REmake where I generally could avoid fighting them. Ironically, RE0 has to have some of the easiest bosses in the series. The only exceptions I'd say are the final boss fights, but they're manageable. The Queen Leech is the only that gives some trouble because of its gigantic size, and being able to shoot liquid into a bunch of different directions that has a ridiculous range.

I do think the dichotomy of Billy and Rebecca was interesting, but man, Rebecca going into yellow caution status from one hit is awful. Otherwise, the differences between both are about what can be expected. Rebecca, outside of having a weaker defense, can mix herbs and has an items that allows her to mix chemicals for progressing further into the game; I also want to say she's slightly faster than Billy but that's probably not the case. Billy on the other hand can take more hits, has a lighter, can't mix herbs, but he can push heavy objects. I do think one way to alleviate some of the inventory management here would've been to make it like REmake and have one character with 8 inventory slots (Or maybe no item should've taken 2 spaces), but I suspect some of the drastic changes here were made specifically to differentiate RE0 more from REmake. And I say that because structurally it's very similar to REMake up to a point.

Puzzles and everything else was fairly standard for a classic RE game. Gotta mention tho, those pre-rendered backgrounds look amazing. If only modern devs still made games that looked like this.

Overall, I liked it.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Rimworld a15. My boreal forest colony got dumpsterd by bionic legged nigger on go-go juice, machete raped everybody. Guess I should've named my colony Sweden or smth.

10/10 GOTY

I just started this game recently. Only done one attempt and it went south in a hurry. Got raided. Responded with arms fire. Raiders responded with a grenade launcher and molotovs. This isn't supposed to be happening. Everyone goes down except one. Puppy dog runs around on fire until death. Very ugly demise. Massive fires burns down portion of the map. A horribly burned survivor drags unconscious bodies back to the base. Captures a raider and drags them back to base, too. Get a transmission of someone needing help, but if I help them I'll have to fight off their own raiders. Quietly turn radio off. Medical supplies crash land nearby. Send survivor out to go retrieve them. They get about five feet from the door and collapse. Die out there in the dirt. Everyone still comatose in bed. Ah fuck me. I have two prisoners. The one from the firefight dies. The other, who has been a prisoner for like a year, is not getting food since all the colonists are unconscious. Said prisoner eats their dead cellmate. They understandably go insane and break the door down. Naked and shackled, they limp across the plains attacking everything in sight. They kill my pets. They kill a turkey. They kill a squirrel. They try to kill a timberwolf. They get mauled horribly. Last colonist passes peacefully in their sleep. RIP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom