Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Naraya

Arcane
Finished LoL. A cozy game, good for playing in short bursts and difficulty felt just about right. I didn't like the last level though (Castle Cimmeria), I preferred open areas like the forest.

Currently playing Labyrinth of Touhou 2 and it's shaping up to be a fantastic experience :)

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Come the fuck on, that's just not true at all.

And yet you don't bring up an example...

One other thing, for the oldfags of the Codex - Soma loves Depth of Field, Bloom and Video Distortions, to the point that people can get nauseous while playing (which happened to me once).

Fortunately all of these can be either turned off, or reduced to a minimum.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
And yet you don't bring up an example...

Akers proxies in the server room?

Sunken ship and teleporting zombie diver?

Recordings regarding Akers going bonkers on gel and murdering all his colleagues?

The mindfucks all around Omicron with the enslaved people disappearing from corridors and Ross constantly shifting in and out of the central glass tank?

Ocean floor walk following the lights?

That bot guy early in the game stuck under debris and yelling like mad when you divert power?

The 'hub' at Tau with all the assimilated/dead dudes on bunks?

Those are just off the top of my head and I played that fucking game a year ago ffs.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Darth Roxor said:
Those are just off the top of my head and I played that fucking game a year ago ffs.

All of those examples are rehashes from other horror games that came before Soma. The only one of them that was decent was, as I mentioned, the ocean floor walk following the lights, but that also felt like an extension of the LV-426 spacewalk in Alien: Isolation.

I even called it on the "Omicron mindfucks" when I saw where the bodies were placed: At locations where it was impossible not to notice them (and their absence). It's the old "moving mannequins" trick from Silent Hill. To be fair I thought that they'd rise up and become enemies, but the enemies that did appear were not the corpses I saw move about/disappear. Every game released is recycling old ideass, so it's the art of getting it right that matters now - and in my opinion Soma just doesn't do that.

Keep in mind that I have decades of experience with all kinds of video games. A side effect of that is my tendency to look at games through the eyes of a designer (the mechanics of the game and how they're implemented) rather than the eyes of the player. It also means I've become quite jaded.

("Old" tags go down here.)

sser

Arcane
Developer
DoF/Bloom are the first things I turn off in any game. Warlock 2 didn't have that option (not sure if they updated it) and I just never got into the game because it was like staring into the sun. I think that was the first time I ever stopped playing a game because it literally hurt my eyes to look at. Never understood the fascination with those two graphic options.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
All of those examples are rehashes from other horror games that came before Soma.

And yet as a pro-Amnesia example you cite the ridiculous water monster, which is basically a super mario section about jumping across crates and not falling down the chasm into the water :nocountryforshitposters:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
And as I mentioned, it's all now a matter of doing old ideas properly. Amnesia did that one properly.

I get the feeling that at this point you're grasping at straws now just to act like a (hueg)dick, so I'm not going to bother with this anymore.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
There are no moments that stick with the playa!

But there is this this and this

No, no, you don't understand, it's all just rehashes unlike amnesia that breaks new grounds from a game design perspective!!!

But amnesia was also rehashed

U WOT M8 I'M OUTTA HERE

I get the feeling that at this point you're grasping at straws now just to act like a (hueg)dick, so I'm not going to bother with this anymore.

I welcome your skyway school of discourse, chum :hero:

nomask7

Arcane
Been playing New Vegas. It really only gets interesting several hours into it. And goddamn those walk/run speeds. I have to write into console every time I continue the game so I can make movement work like it should. It's basically cheating because my character is a melee fighter, but I'll be damned if I play this game with the default speeds.

Perkel

Arcane
On my 3DS playing finally DS game Ace Attorney Miles Edworth Investigations:

ace_attorney_investigations_miles_edgeworth_52.jpg

Since i played all 6 ace attorney games i thought this was cash in spin off but i am at 2nd case and so far it is same quality as Ace Attorney 1 which is top of ace attorney games.

Really fucking good and fun game. It is hard in those times to find game which legit makes you laugh loud but this games like AA1 does it waaaay better than most of games.

Been playing New Vegas. It really only gets interesting several hours into it. And goddamn those walk/run speeds. I have to write into console every time I continue the game so I can make movement work like it should. It's basically cheating because my character is a melee fighter, but I'll be damned if I play this game with the default speeds.

Just play with few mods that take into account AGI for running and few perk mods that will give you ability to increase running speed.

iZerw

Arcane
Vatnik
Deadly Premonition. It feels like I'm watching some kind of parody or reboot of Twin Peaks. Quite interesting one.

nomask7

Arcane
Just play with few mods that take into account AGI for running and few perk mods that will give you ability to increase running speed.

I don't want to waste points on agility. I put all of them into strength instead. (Still somehow failed to create a fun character, a character who can accomplish things that others can only dream of. Like I'm working for Mr. House, and he asked me to destroy Brotherhood of Steel or else find a way to make them self-destruct. Brotherhood of muthafucking Steel! Destroying them in open combat would be the ultimate challenge. But delusions of grandeur soon pass, and I'm like, "Umm... I guess I'll have to whore myself to them until they love me, just like with Boomers, find a way to initiate the bunker's self destruct mechanism. Ugh..." I am weak you see. And so I'm running errands again. Then I found some nice sets of power armor, so I figured, hmmm, maybe now I can just kill them? After all, I have max strength! This means I can use the bestest of stuff, just like in Fallout 1, yeah! Then I figured, nah, I don't have super sledge hammer. Then I notice I can't even use that armor because, I don't know, becoming idolised by the tough as fuck faction I'm supposed to destroy is required for that privilege? Not fun. I'm running around in light leather armor because, well, reasons.)

Last edited:

Dux

Arcane
Been playing JA2 UB 1.13 and just dragged my battered corpse across the finish line. Goddamn son of a bitch what a meat grinder. I tell you, JA2 always seem to get really aggravating at the end when all your enemies seem to bypass the game's rules at will. My favourite will always be when a lone soldier runs through a door that's completely covered by my level 7 elites with 90+ agility and marksmanship and still manages to unload a clip in someone's face and then promptly leave again, without any interrupts. As for the game itself, it's a dour statement of Sir-tech's woes. 1.13 made it playable at least and I managed to extract some enjoyment out of it.

I've also been playing some Mount & Blade. As in the first one from 2007. Why? Because I am crazy and I just don't give a fuck.

Perkel

Arcane
Still playing Miles Edworth Investigations. This caught me unguarded:

franny-crop(d).gif

I was laughing like good minute. MEI is easily best AA game after AA1. If i had to rate them it would be now like these:
AA1 > MEI > AA2 > AA3 > AA4 > AA5

I think MEI works so well for me because i played it after all AA1-5 so i see often characters which i saw in old games (like oldbag or that police dude with speaker from AA1).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom