Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Starwars

Arcane
Well, the post doesn't focus on A) retarded developer drama or B) SJW vs GG so I guess in that sense it is.

Krivol

Magister
After reading insane amount of codexian let's plays at work, I decided to replay Jagged Alaince 2 with some old 1.13 mod. Great game, making some cheap mercs true hitmans gives nice feeling.

Also tried a bit of Stalker CS and it's much worse than CoP - stupid respawn system (you really just need to walk 5 meter for enemies to respawn) allowed me to clear soliders camp 5-6 times just to earn so money. Stupid AI (incredible how untrained those soliders are - no wonder why they lost Donbas for some >>terrorists<< ) didn't help - enemies are blind and acts like they never used guns.

I know in CoP AI wasn't much better, but you rarely fought with true soliders.

Also world feels bland.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
I had the opposite experience with CS. The enemy AI has telescopic vision and pinpoint accuracy.

Krivol

Magister
They were facing barrack windows showing their backs to me - 5 times. And 4 of them didn't triggered and didn't move at all. Well, 1 or 2 tried to shoot me through the wooden wall but with no luck.

Maybe there is some problem with Complete mod, but I don't think it's messing with AI.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Stupid AI (incredible how untrained those soliders are - no wonder why they lost Donbas for some >>terrorists<< ) didn't help - enemies are blind and acts like they never used guns.
what
They were facing barrack windows showing their backs to me - 5 times. And 4 of them didn't triggered and didn't move at all. Well, 1 or 2 tried to shoot me through the wooden wall but with no luck.
what
Maybe there is some problem with Complete mod,
A-ha, I found the source of your problem.
but I don't think it's messing with AI.
Yes it does. That's why I tell people to ignore dumb people recommending Complete Garbage. It significantly retarding gameplay and it does mess with AI.
In vanilla they got pinpoint accuracy and Complete make them almost blind and deaf.
Either go Sky Reclamation Project or go home.

I still played a lot of Clear Sky with dozen of mods, yes I was very aware of his problems and linearity. Still got more fun that other shooters released after 2007 managed to do. Only one remain to finish - Reborn, the whole saga. But it's true slav mod chocke full of inanity. Need to gather some vodka (box or two) before starting new playthrough...

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished Twitcher3, no addons (bought game week before GoTY was announced, talking about bad luck).

I'm now certain that they fuck up combat on purpose. All these pirouettes made while enemies do simple swings...just riduncolous. For some reason Geralt jump into random enemies (I know there is lock-on option but that does not justify this).
Way too big world, which made economy terrible. Everything cost coin of few when you sell it. Amount of items to collect is insane. I got something like this in Fallout NV with bunch of items modds, which cured my ocd hamster collecting.
There is one difference though - in FNV I could drop items in any container and pick them later, while in TW3 you can do that only in taverns' chests. :decline:
To imagine what would happen if all these items in my inventory got more realistic weight.... managing this junkbag would take more time than fighting monsters.

I tried to rush through main quest line, but it was a bubble that burst into lesser quests, unfinished business and revenges and fedex times.

I will not play any game for story and else. Stay with books and games for opposite.

Now it's time to test that Fallout 1.5, then maybe Awaken for F:T and maybe Enclave 3.3

Ivan

Arcane
Prince of Persia Trilogy

Sands of Time: stiff controls aside, the parkour platforming is tons of fun and what caught me by surprise the most was the great characterization for both the pc and his female companion.
:4/5:

Warrior Within: all the charm of the first game has been thrown away in favor of the cringiest edgyness I've ever seen in a game. maybe they were trying to appeal to the God of War crowd. what a shame. combat is much improved, camera is smoother.
:2/5:

Two Thrones: the final entry in the trilogy and the best playing. they've iterated on the platforming, giving you more control and agency to successfully move around. combat is less of a nuisance thanks to "speed kills" (stealth takedowns). the charm of the first game is back and had me excited to see where the story and the Prince would go.
:4/5:

Assassins's Creed 2.5: Brotherhood

maybe it's been a long time since I've touched this series but I'm shocked by how little agency/control you have in this game, particularly when it comes to traversing the environment. climbing feels slow as fuck and doubly so because I'm not really doing anything. that harsh reminder aside, I found this entry to be very weak. It really does feel like a DLC with a central mission that's been stretched widely as possible to merit it's price tag. the music is quite nice but it feels like I'm exploring city Z now instead of x or y. oh and I read that it was this entry that introduced the kick ability, wow and "killstreaks" LOL WTF. take more control away from the player, just chain AUTO KILL moves.

very Hitman, thanks Kyd

Ivan

Arcane
dyke hair aside, :mrpresident:

could anyone share some light if the Ass Creed games get better in terms of gameplay (fluidity of movement, combat, itemization)? it seems that AC 2 and its 2 expansions love to give you activities to earn money but the thing is combat is already too easy without the use of nades, bombs, smoke nades, bullets, etc.

Last edited:

Nryn

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
dyke hair aside, :mrpresident:

could anyone share some light if the Ass Creed games get better in terms of gameplay (fluidity of movement, combat, itemization)? it seems that AC 2 and its 2 expansions love to give you activities to earn money but the thing is combat is already too easy without the use of nades, bombs, smoke nades, bullets, etc.
Unity, despite its faults, toned down how overpowered the main character was relative to the enemies. Gone are the chain kills, instant counter kills, and a whole host of other poorly balanced abilities. Unlike Brotherhood where one could go up against a couple of dozen enemies at once and win with ease, fighting 3 or 4 enemies can lead to a quick death in Unity. Enemies tend to attack at once, and so positioning matters a lot more this time around, aided by the inclusion of a dodge roll. Spamming attacks is another habit learned from the earlier ACs that Unity punishes. Combat is a slower and more watchful affair in Unity.

Smoke bombs still remain an easy way to cheese the tougher fights though, but atleast they're genuinely useful and not an unnecessary novelty here. Apart from the combat changes, the best part of Unity is playing the co-op missions solo. Generally speaking, the co-op missions are far tougher than missions in any other AC since they were balanced to accommodate 4 players. Playing them solo actually requires a fair amount of trial and error and strategizing, as opposed to the mindless romps missions in the other ACs are.

Ivan

Arcane
is it just me or is there a complete lack of level design here. I mean, when missions take place in the map it's so fucking painful. tail this turd here, tail further, kill him with 1 button press. win. at least the "dungeons" give you more agency than following some npc. do they keep doing this shit past AC2?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Two Thrones: the final entry in the trilogy and the best playing. they've iterated on the platforming, giving you more control and agency to successfully move around. combat is less of a nuisance thanks to "speed kills" (stealth takedowns). the charm of the first game is back and had me excited to see where the story and the Prince would go.

:killit:

Two Thrones is fucking shit. Worst of the bunch.

spekkio

Arcane
Finished Onimusha 2

Yet another Capcom's fucked-up sequel... :roll:

Good:
- Combat system is good. Simple, working, satisfying.
- Very nice character models, considering PS2 low res. Same with animations.
- Non-linear story.

Bad:
- Boss battles are very long, bland, simple, yet hard. Total meh, compared to first game.
- Final 2 boss fights are horribad: flying faggot spouting projectiles / shooting gallery. Troll subtracted.
- Chest puzzles are either too easy (2 moves) or too hard (5-6 moves). Instead of different "adventure-game puzzles", we got one puzzle-game minigame. Decline.
- Some puzzles are totally retardo (opening the gate with 2 analogs).
- Level design is inferior to 1st game: too many linear corridors and backtracking, most interesting areas are recycled from O1.
- Way too much long boring cutscenes, shitty story doesn't help.
- Forced shitty wapanese humor.

Ugly:
- Story and characters are bizarre to say the lest. In first game, we had nice horror elements (man-eating demons), while here we got 4 supporting characters with boring bullshit sub-stories and demons being just weird high-tech aliens. WTF?
- Gift system is weird and makes basic tasks (buying healing items and ammo) unnecessarily convoluted.
- Much more combat than in first game. You often fight over 10 enemies in each room. Again, first game had better balance between exploration, combat and puzzles.
- Irritating enemies who can chain strong unblockable attacks, knocking you down over and over.
- Jubei switches into his special form automagically, which makes it almost useless: it can happen when there are no longer any enemies around.
- New special moves require keeping proper distance to enemies, which is hard in game with fixed camera angles.
- Oyu's cleavage < Kaede's bouncing boobs and whoreoutfit.

Verdict:

Typical Capcom sequel. I hope O3 is better...

A horse of course

I only played Onimusha as part of the Resident Evil retrospective. Doubt I'll ever bother with the sequels.

spekkio

Arcane
Well, I really dig the combat system. And they only made 4 games in the series, so...

Ivan

Arcane
Two Thrones was the only one that gave you the chance to bypass combat encounters thanks to the stealth skills. It brought back the story and characterization that worked so well in the first, and iterated on the platforming, since Warrior didn't do anything new with it. Also, it had color, which is more than I could say for God of Warrior. But yeah I would say Sands>Thrones>Warrior, easy.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Everything in Two Thrones was boring as shit. Story was boring, platforming was boring, enemies were boring, bosses were boring. I even tried to replay it like 2 years ago when I was on a PoP binge and I actually quit in boredom after you save the burning building.

Stealth kills were just a shit gimmick (one of many shit gimmicks in that game, too) because they were boring press A for AAAwesome to instakill everyone. And if you didn't do that, you got punished with stupid boring combat that somehow was considerably shittier than in WW despite mostly using the same moves (and combat was where WW was objectively the best in the series).

Warrior Within might have been plagued by stupid edgy grimdarkness and the constant backtracking, but otherwise it was supersolid. It had a degree of non-linearity, Dahaka chases, cool story (bro), guud combat, cool enemy and environment designs and sandwraith levels.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom