Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

iqzulk

Augur
People complained about voice acting
The demo version to the game had radically different voice acting (at least, for Black Knight - it fit his role in the story much better, in my opinion) - and it got a pretty violent backlash on forums and such after having been released ("WUTS WITH DAT DORTH VAYDER VOICE"). Larian got scared (they WERE on the brink of bankruptcy at the time, after all) - and hastily redid the entirety of voice acting for the game in the last month before its release. The result is, well, what you've heard. The demo can still be freely found on the Internets, if you are interested in making a comparison, that is.

For me, it's a shame. I would gladly replay the entire game with its demo's VA. I still hope to, one day. Even tweeted Lar asking him to release full original voice-pack. He replied, that he doubted it would work as it was (possible archive format or structure changes in that last month?), and that they didn't have time to divert to make sure it worked fine. So, no voice-pack for now. 15th Anniversary of the game's release, I think, would be a good moment to make him finally comply - but, man, 2019, three more ffing years, really?

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
Right now playing Borderlands Pre-Sequel

The Good - Space Aussies, No Tiny Tina, More Jack and space jumping mechanic.

The bad - Still has the problem of 1000 weapons that act the same, the writing early off isn't great (see Torgue and Friendzone), the comedy still isn't great (albeit better than BL2), there's still Torgue, and it somehow feels smaller than the other games. Oh, and there's like a a bunch of overpriced DLC on a game that's already something like 50 bucks, but that's par for the course I guess.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
What's sad though is that Jack is the closest thing the series has to actual comedy. Everything else is just annoying. Jack is also annoying, but one or two of his lines of dialogue are somewhat amusing.

He isn't a complete asshole in the pre-sequel, but he's still a bit of one.

Yeh, the gunplay and movement is still a bit off.

Last edited:

BlackGoat

Arbiter
Been splitting time between Ultima V (brilliant, perfect), Elminage Gothic (enjoyable, addictive, huge, exhausting), Endless Legend and Rocket League with my boys, and the first Commandos which I got on release way back when and played the hell out of but for some reason never took all the way. This year.

Also slowly making my way through the Witcher 3 main campaign for a second time cause I rushed the first time and did pretty much nothing in Skellige except what I needed to and then semi-foolishly decided to do NG+ which adds nothing of value to the game on my way to doing Heart of Stone and Blood and Wine.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Gave up on Silent Storm just before the final mission. Jesus H. Christ, where to start...

Good: :)

- Destructible environment adds some tactical options. It can both save you (civilian blocking a path) or fuck you over (objective item destroyed / cut off).
- ???.

Bad: :(

- Way too many bad design choices. Devs wanted to implement some elements from older and much better games (UFO, JA, Fallout Tactics even) but failed horribly.
- Engine isn't actually that great: requires constant camera twitching / layer changes (UFO inspiration didn't pay off). Enemy / ally turns take fucking forever (over a minute on current rig). "Fast animations" mod does shit, since it's the "thinking" that takes AI most time.
- Changing keyboard binds can be done only via .ini edition.
- Many elements taken from JA failed:
a) Weapon variation. Pointless, since 99% of weapons are p. much the same. There's no weapons progression in the game, you can stick to initial weapons through the entire game.
b) Destructible environment - see above.
c) Non-linear approach. Pointless, since it boils down to "wait for enemies to come at you / snipe them from distance". There are no real mission goals, just "kill everyone and find a clue".
d) Spotting enemies is borked. In JA it wasn't perfect, but here you can run over an enemy and don't spot him (skill to low). Then he will just magically pop up 2 meters behind you and shoot you in the back. WTF?
e) Mechanic and Medic skills are broken - you can't increase them to useful levels. "Easier Medical and Engineering Items" mod helps a bit, but blowing shit up is much better idea than pick locking for the entire game.
f) Healing is much worse than in JA, as injuries don't require treatment between missions. Just apply a medkit and your fag is just like new. Full decline.
g) Grenades are quite powerful, but initially useless due to extremely low range. "Grenade Range Increase" mod helps a lot, making the game much more interesting (enemies become more dangerous too).
- Some shit isn't explained anywhere. Like weapon familiarity or handling. There are some speculations on forums, but that's it.
- UI is shit: non-stackable items / ammo, undistinguishable weapon pictures (all rifles look almost identical), bizarre sorting, you name it.
- No "end TB mode now" button. You just want to blow up a crate, but there are 20 allies present on map? Enjoy 2 minutes of ally AI "thinking" between turns. Fallout Tactics did it 10 times better.
- Fucking boredom. All missions are "kill enemies, find clues" with some "kill a dude before he leaves the map" flavor. No real tactics required: snipe from distance, finish off with grenades in close range. That's it. Boring random encounters with no good loot.
- EXP system is broken: 3-4 level-up in one mission, no level-ups for next 3 missions.
- Shitty skills organized into gay trees: unlock 4 useless skills to get to the one useful one. Which is probably broken too.
- Panzerkleins are one of the most retarded ideas in a game ever. Let me quote some dudes:

Heh, I wasted a TON of ammo on these things before I figured it out.

You can do it one of three ways:

1> Have your best sniper get 100% to hit the head and hope the bullet makes it into the narrow slit (Difficulty: Almost impossible)

2> Get heavy caliber ammo (Mauser 20. from the Panzerklein gattling gun) (Difficutly: hard... or impossible if you don't have a Panzerklein :P )

3> Kill the soldiers carrying BHLZ's (the green bazooka type weapon) and use them on the Panzers. Use careful shot... should take two hits (and leave the Panzer well intact). Take out the other TG Ray Panzers first, that way you can occupy them with your troops (Difficult: easy).
Hmm.. am I the only one crazy enough to do this? :P I destoy panzerkleins with my 2 katana equipped scouts :) They both got their melee skill at 100 or 110... the thing is to be sure that you don't attack the panzerkleins with grenade launchers... Those are bit tricky to destroy but here's what to do for normal PK's.

Take your scout, give him a katana(any other melee weapons just might do the trick but I suggest katana because it is the best melee weapon in the game!), train his melee skill to 110 and familiarity to 10(just go to a sector and start chopping down trees :) ) then you just need to sneak close to the PK you want to destroy and the RUN like the wind to the PK and let him have it!!! The hack'n slash might take a couple of turns just start smashing the pk and soon the guy inside is "unconscious" and the PK unharmed. The funniest thing is that the other PK's won't attack you if you are so near to their own PK :lol: (tested on hard difficulty)

:bravo:

"No-Panzerklein Modification (S2) " mod probably helps, but whatever.

I could probably go on, but what's the point?

:1/5:

Stay the fuck away / play Tactics Ogre instead.

spekkio

Arcane
^
That's some strong points contradicting what I wrote.
Fucking PC kids with their "OMG destructible environment" bullshit. It's like Red Faction again: one of the most generic, boring and linear games ever, a game where you go down /up a linear corridor while popping some moles once in a while. But "you can blow up some walls, OMG GOTY!".
Fucking retards.

:rpgcodex:

DramaticPopcorn

Decided to play W3 since I'm on vacation and never played the DLCs. 50 gigs of installation files and 5 gigs of patches later, I fire it up only to get completely fucking pissed off at combat, what a grueling goddamn experience.

At this point I'm not even sure I want to play it at all. :M

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Playing the original Metroid for the NES

this one has a brutal difficulty curve, considering whenever you die you only start with 30 EN. I'm not a huge fan of having to kill everything for EN as there are no save rooms, though once you get a few energy tanks and some missiles it becomes fairly possible to sustain yourself.
There is a distinct pattern for each kind of room, like a vertical climb that goes on for too long or having to constantly jump between one-block wide platforms hovering above lava. Sometimes the layouts get mixed up with some unique obstacles, though those are few and far between. All enemy types in the game feeling like a palette swap in each new area doesn't help either. The Morph Ball itself is strangely underutilized, being used mostly for bombing passages.

Hidden blocks are found by shooting and bombing every block until something disappears. Sometimes this is made obvious by rooms that seemingly go nowhere or sudden huge walls, sometimes not so much (FAKE LAVA?!?!). I wish someone also told me beforehand that beams do not stack. The Ice Beam does feel as if it only does half damage because of the freeze effect, but it lends itself much more to exploration than the Wave Beam does, thanks to the brilliant idea of freezing enemies to use them as stepping stones. Maybe that was an intentional decision, to have one beam upgrade be more suitable for the explorers and the other for shooters, but with games as old as these you can never tell what went on in the developer's head behind certain design choices. Why do you need to shoot five missiles instead of one to open a red door? We will never know. (Interestingly enough, I only found that out in my first attempt of playing Super Metroid by just shooting all my missiles in a fit of rage at a red door)

The music is also damn good, going for such an atmospheric soundtrack in a NES game must've been revolutionary at the time. Kraid's Lair <3

Yeesh

Magister
Sunless Sea. My ship goes too slow and everything always tries to kill me but when I kill them back it never yields anything worth the trouble and my sexy spy girlfriend keeps disappearing and also the gods seem to hate me but at least that one's a page out of real life.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
AM2R (Metroid 2 remake) on hard. Currently stuck getting my ass handed to me by the Zeta metroids. Feels like I missed some important upgrade somewhere but dunno where. Fucking things hit insanely hard, fast, and ignore invulnerability frames. And they're invincible almost all the time, and when they aren't invincible isn't obvious most of the time so I can even reliably land my small supply of super missles. Gah.

Decided to play W3 since I'm on vacation and never played the DLCs. 50 gigs of installation files and 5 gigs of patches later, I fire it up only to get completely fucking pissed off at combat, what a grueling goddamn experience.

At this point I'm not even sure I want to play it at all. :M
I never thought I'd say this, but Twitcher 3, as weak a game as it is, is worth playing for the story alone. Especially the Hearts of Stone bit, it was brilliant.

And I never, ever play games for story. I finished the game on Death March, but would happily recommend lowering the difficulty because combat is shit anyway, making everything more bullet spongey doesn't improve it one bit.

iqzulk

Augur
F-I-N-A-L-L-Y someone has graced Teh Internetz with the DVD version of Psygnosis' Lander - AND with the scanned manual to it to boot!

What a treat!

Dunno, if I'll fire it up today (also, I really do hope, that nglide patch for the game will work with the DVD version), but one of these days I definitely will.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Just finished The Room II, loved the first game in this series. <3 It is another short 4-5 hour game, but costs only $5. This time though, there isn't just one very intricate box on a table, there are now multiple areas per room to interact with, which was still enjoyable.

Now just have to wait for The Room III, which is only on Mobile for now. Have to wait for the PC port. :negative:

L'ennui

Magister
EDF! EDF! EDF!

GOTY so far. Wasted a few hours on No Man's Sky and I wish I could have them back. This coming from someone who actually enjoys diving into Noctis every now and then, FFS.

Starwars

Arcane
Life is Strange.

Feels like it tries a bit too hard with the whole teenage dialogue at times but it's kind of pleasant as well. It's too bad that pretty much everything on the gameplay side of thing really sucks. The rewind time thing doesn't feel especially fun to use and the "puzzles" (using that term lightly) are just a complete waste of time.

It's at its best when you get to make choices in the teenage drama surrounding the school. Enjoying that part of it.

DramaticPopcorn

Life is Strange.

Feels like it tries a bit too hard with the whole teenage dialogue at times but it's kind of pleasant as well. It's too bad that pretty much everything on the gameplay side of thing really sucks. The rewind time thing doesn't feel especially fun to use and the "puzzles" (using that term lightly) are just a complete waste of time.

It's at its best when you get to make choices in the teenage drama surrounding the school. Enjoying that part of it.
is this THE CODEX we once knew?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom