Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

80Maxwell08

Arcane
I just finished the Neverwinter Nights 2 OC. Well that ending narrator sounded as bored as I was playing it. At least I finished it to bring my character to MotB.
EDIT: And it crashed 20 minutes in. I think I'm going to take a NWN2 break now.

Don't take too long, if you've at least enjoyed NWN2 OC, you're going to love MoTB, it's like Planescape: Torment's younger brother :)
I've beaten it before. This is just the first time I imported someone from the first campaign. It's still ridiculous how much better it is than the OC on just about every level.

Modron

Arcane
I've beaten it before. This is just the first time I imported someone from the first campaign. It's still ridiculous how much better it is than the OC on just about every level.
Obsidian was just being true to Bioware's pattern of sub-par OC followed by vastly improved modules. Caveat being that NWN 2's OC was decent-ish whereas the first game's OC was utterly indefensible.

Uncle gave me a decent upgrade to my 8 year old system, right when I was planning to put together a new one, so playing through derp I met the min requirements for but still ran like trash anyways. Kind of ODing on terrible with Max Payne 3, Sleeping Dogs, and Payday 2 but upside is playing through some decent stuff starting with Expeditions Conquistador. Going through Wasteland 2 next as it I was one of those few people who had that mouse bug that only let you move it around in a tiny square in the top left of the game window back when I first got it.

Lunac

Arcane
Lately, Over Horizon.... on NES.... just finished it. Moved onto STTNG Future's Past.... on SNES.... working on it....

Two throwbacks to the 8 and 16 bit eras in the kilobyte range in ROM form are better than EVERY PIECE OF SHIT indie pixel-art, animu, tower defense (why is this a genre? autists?) game listed on steam? Easily!

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Yes. The games don't really seem to last that long in the computer version though. Though I usually only play it when I have been drinking, so It may seem shorter... :M

Jinn

Arcane
Yes. The games don't really seem to last that long in the computer version though. Though I usually only play it when I have been drinking, so It may seem shorter... :M

Jaesun likes to drunk play monopoly.

:updatedmytxt:

sser

Arcane
Developer
*Drunken singleplayer digital Monopoly.

ZCS97xI.jpg

sser

Arcane
Developer
Board game-esque games I've enjoyed lately...

Armello (very good, multiplayer)
Vietnam '65 (solid)
Chaos Reborn (solid, multiplayer)
Heroes of Normandie (good, but overpriced)
Tharsis (solid)
The Witcher Adventure Game (not that good)
Not Singleplayer Monopoly

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
I have recently been playing Star Trek Judgment Rites again, I still like it but when you know the solutions of all the puzzles it is not such a challenge any more.

Also have been giving Prey (2006) a try to see what I should miss now that Prey 2 is cancelled and the game's name is used for a completely unrelated game.
It is a very nice shoot em up, I definitely like how the designers play with changing surfaces, gravity, and the portals which I think are the game's biggest strengths.
But after a while I really grew tired of the storyline and was not not that interested in finding out what was really going on, what had happened to the main protagonist's girlfriend, who the commander of the alien ship is, and what is up with those ghosts that I have occasionally run into? Not any hint on why they are around and attacking me.

From what I have seen of Prey 2's demo I think I would have liked that game, it looks a lot different than Prey 1, now a bit more free roaming and and working in an alien urban environment. But alas.
Will I play the new game? Perhaps but so far the storyline is pretty much a rip off of other similar sci fi titles including System Shock. (player wakes up our of a coma/stasis onboard a space station/space ship, and discovers that the place is in chaos, most people are dead, and mysterious hostiles are roaming the hallways) I will probably wait until it is sold on discount as I did not think that Arkane studios' Dishonored was that interesting.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Been playing Mad Max and I have pretty much mixed feelings about it. It is interesting that this game was universally panned while having nothing of different from other AAA games but somehow thw AAA open world gameplay on this one is bad but on other games is good. The big bags of money as bribes for gaming journalists and the superficiality of youtubers is obvious. Mad Max is an AAA game that focus on the mechanics and don't have cinematic cutscenes every 2 mins and when you strip that away from those AAA games, their cutscenes, the repetitiouness and lack of creativity on the gameplay is so obvious. I wish there were enough critics on the gaming industry with enough grey matter to see through AAA cinematic galore and judge the games by their mechanics but their corruption or low IQ seems to prevent that.

Mad Max is a game focused on the mechanics, for good or worse, the combat is the same ole button smashing shit of Arkham games, the focus of the game is on the traditional popamole Ubisoft collectaton, you go around collecting lame shit that barely gives you a reward, the only somewhat original part of the game is on car combat. There is ramming, laying off mines, throwing explosive harpoons at enemy cars, shooting enemy tires with your shotgun and when everything works, it is the best part of the game.

Most of those mechanics were stripped from other games on the classic AAA fashion but Mad Max tries to do the maximum an AAA game can do with the very limited tools it has. When you are collecting scrap (the currency of the game), most places you go to get it have nice ambient storytelling touches. It isn't the case like Ubisoft games where you've seen a camp you've seen them all and they all look generic, no, most places you explore are the ruins of supermarkets, roadside dinners, abandoned airports, sea ports that are now on the middle of the desert and, on the first half of the game, you explore what was once ocean floor with calcified reefs and deposits of salt everywhere. On Mad Max world, the oceans are gone and that was a nice touch of world design.

As on Ubisoft The Game, you need to conquer enemy forts but quite some forts have interesting layouts, it isn't as lazy as Ubisoft games are, some forts are big and you go from flying on zip line to underground places on the same fort and is enjoyable enough to explore those places even if the reward isn't that great.

They tried to add some meaning to the currency system too, on other AAA games, you are inundated with money so fast that money becomes meaningless, not so much on Mad Max, the scrap you collect is limited and it will be a while before you can buy all the upgrades.

While I enjoyed exploring this post apocalyptic world, there are three HUGE flaws on Mad Max, the Arkham combat, how survival is easy and the lack of a coherent narrative. While you see on the reviews that Mad Max supposedly did Arkham combat wrong, this is typical bullshit from gaming journalists subhumans, it did exactly whay arkham asylum and city did and it is crap exactly for it, it is that you aren't larping playing batman this time you cunt. You spam left mouse button, press the right mouse button sometimes and roll out of the frey when there are too much enemies around, that is it, that is your combat right there. The game tries to shake things up by introducing different enemy types with special abilities like shield bearers, suicide bombers, explosive stick throwers but it does the traditional modern open world BS: "Okay, the first half of our game must be terribly easy because we know most casuals will only reach 50% before moving to another game and we want to cause minimum frustration."

Nowdays, the tutorial isn't only some limited area for you to learn the controls, no, no, it is fucking half of a game, that is how shitty things got. Can you guess the consequences? The tougher and more interesting enemy types only start really appearing on the second half of the map and even there they are rare, so, you will be reduced to spam the left mouse button alot for most of the game. Mad Max world tests the sanity of its people and boy, after torturing the left mouse button on my mouse for so long I started questioning my own sanity.

The second flaw of the game is how easy it is to survive, you drink water to replenish your life and have to fuel your car, I never even got close to lack fuel and need water badly, it is mostly a flavour mechanic to try to build on the feeling of desperation of the world but they go out of their way to make sure you won't be frustrated what it is unfortunately expected from an AAA game.

And the last problem of the game is the lack of a coherent narrative, actually, the game has no narrative, you are Mad Max, you need a good car and you go on fectch quests to build it, that is it. There is this warlord, Scabrous Scrotus (I really can't take this name seriously, I dunno what Avalanche Studios was thinking.), and Mad Max saw his cranium in half with a motor saw right on the introduction movie, it was one of the most bizarre things I ever saw a video game do storywise. Well, the guy somehow is still alive after that, can I take this shit seriously? It doesn't matter anyway because you don't see him do nothing of worth for 99% of the game where you are collecting scrap.

Even with all the typical AAA frustrations, there is still something quite amusing of you exploring a huge place that was once an airport and now is called the Underdune where cannibalist savages that hate the light live and people tell legends about the place. Sometimes while playing I couldn't stop thinking, man, I would love a decent game made on this world, imagine a true RPG game made on this world where you actually solve quests and interact with NPCs with real survival mechanics instead of button mashing everything that moves and collecting scrap for your car engine to be 10% better.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Been playing Mad Max and I have pretty much mixed feelings about it. It is interesting that this game was universally panned while having nothing of different from other AAA games but somehow thw AAA open world gameplay on this one is bad but on other games is good. The big bags of money as bribes for gaming journalists and the superficiality of youtubers is obvious. Mad Max is an AAA game that focus on the mechanics and don't have cinematic cutscenes every 2 mins and when you strip that away from those AAA games, their cutscenes, the repetitiouness and lack of creativity on the gameplay is so obvious. I wish there were enough critics on the gaming industry with enough grey matter to see through AAA cinematic galore and judge the games by their mechanics but their corruption or low IQ seems to prevent that.

Mad Max is a game focused on the mechanics, for good or worse, the combat is the same ole button smashing shit of Arkham games, the focus of the game is on the traditional popamole Ubisoft collectaton, you go around collecting lame shit that barely gives you a reward, the only somewhat original part of the game is on car combat. There is ramming, laying off mines, throwing explosive harpoons at enemy cars, shooting enemy tires with your shotgun and when everything works, it is the best part of the game.

Most of those mechanics were stripped from other games on the classic AAA fashion but Mad Max tries to do the maximum an AAA game can do with the very limited tools it has. When you are collecting scrap (the currency of the game), most places you go to get it have nice ambient storytelling touches. It isn't the case like Ubisoft games where you've seen a camp you've seen them all and they all look generic, no, most places you explore are the ruins of supermarkets, roadside dinners, abandoned airports, sea ports that are now on the middle of the desert and, on the first half of the game, you explore what was once ocean floor with calcified reefs and deposits of salt everywhere. On Mad Max world, the oceans are gone and that was a nice touch of world design.

As on Ubisoft The Game, you need to conquer enemy forts but quite some forts have interesting layouts, it isn't as lazy as Ubisoft games are, some forts are big and you go from flying on zip line to underground places on the same fort and is enjoyable enough to explore those places even if the reward isn't that great.

They tried to add some meaning to the currency system too, on other AAA games, you are inundated with money so fast that money becomes meaningless, not so much on Mad Max, the scrap you collect is limited and it will be a while before you can buy all the upgrades.

While I enjoyed exploring this post apocalyptic world, there are three HUGE flaws on Mad Max, the Arkham combat, how survival is easy and the lack of a coherent narrative. While you see on the reviews that Mad Max supposedly did Arkham combat wrong, this is typical bullshit from gaming journalists subhumans, it did exactly whay arkham asylum and city did and it is crap exactly for it, it is that you aren't larping playing batman this time you cunt. You spam left mouse button, press the right mouse button sometimes and roll out of the frey when there are too much enemies around, that is it, that is your combat right there. The game tries to shake things up by introducing different enemy types with special abilities like shield bearers, suicide bombers, explosive stick throwers but it does the traditional modern open world BS: "Okay, the first half of our game must be terribly easy because we know most casuals will only reach 50% before moving to another game and we want to cause minimum frustration."

Nowdays, the tutorial isn't only some limited area for you to learn the controls, no, no, it is fucking half of a game, that is how shitty things got. Can you guess the consequences? The tougher and more interesting enemy types only start really appearing on the second half of the map and even there they are rare, so, you will be reduced to spam the left mouse button alot for most of the game. Mad Max world tests the sanity of its people and boy, after torturing the left mouse button on my mouse for so long I started questioning my own sanity.

The second flaw of the game is how easy it is to survive, you drink water to replenish your life and have to fuel your car, I never even got close to lack fuel and need water badly, it is mostly a flavour mechanic to try to build on the feeling of desperation of the world but they go out of their way to make sure you won't be frustrated what it is unfortunately expected from an AAA game.

And the last problem of the game is the lack of a coherent narrative, actually, the game has no narrative, you are Mad Max, you need a good car and you go on fectch quests to build it, that is it. There is this warlord, Scabrous Scrotus (I really can't take this name seriously, I dunno what Avalanche Studios was thinking.), and Mad Max saw his cranium in half with a motor saw right on the introduction movie, it was one of the most bizarre things I ever saw a video game do storywise. Well, the guy somehow is still alive after that, can I take this shit seriously? It doesn't matter anyway because you don't see him do nothing of worth for 99% of the game where you are collecting scrap.

Even with all the typical AAA frustrations, there is still something quite amusing of you exploring a huge place that was once an airport and now is called the Underdune where cannibalist savages that hate the light live and people tell legends about the place. Sometimes while playing I couldn't stop thinking, man, I would love a decent game made on this world, imagine a true RPG game made on this world where you actually solve quests and interact with NPCs with real survival mechanics instead of button mashing everything that moves and collecting scrap for your car engine to be 10% better.
:bro:

Whatever the flaws of the game, it's one of the most hauntingly-beautiful post-apoc environments I've seen.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Armello (very good, multiplayer)

What's good about it? It's been sitting on my PC for months.

Pretty entertaining, 30min-1hr multiplayer matches. Mix of dice rolling, card collecting, etc. Couple of different ways to win with a lot of players trying to sabotage one another.

DeepOcean

Arcane
Whatever the flaws of the game, it's one of the most hauntingly-beautiful post-apoc environments I've seen.
The art style and world design is indeed jaw dropping, when you are on a ruined road side dinner, half buried in the sand with dead and dry trees all around you and the dunes shinning emanating heat makes me think on the movies and Fallout 1, if it wasn't for the AAA shenanigans this could be a so much better game.

What is funny is the usual retards slamming this game for the same AAA shenanigans they like so much on other games.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I quite enjoyed Mad Max. Sure, the fist-fights were pretty ordinary, but the car combat tended to be spectacular, especially against the convoys. Even the storms were incredibly well done and had a sense of power and weight to them.

Also yeah, it's probably one if not the most beautiful games I've ever played. Only Witcher 3 seems to be in the same stratosphere of amazing artwork.

Jazz_

Arcane
The other day I was so bored I installed DOTA 2, I was like ''let's see what all the hype is about, it's the most played game on earth after all'', wow I can control cartoonish heroes with silly voices, I have 4 spells with cooldowns other than autoattacking, aaaand we are done.

pippin

In Duke Nukem Forever, you can pick up a turd from a toilet with your bare hands.

That's all.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom