Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Pokemon Go all day long. Told the kids at work to put on their shoes and then they helped me Pokemon hunting. I did the searching and then I let them catch them Haven't seen 6-7 year olds so happy in a long time. We also have a pokestop near so we could fill up on pokeballs. They also got to see me take over a gym. They were hysterical. But most fun was when we found an evolved or legendary pokemon. They went crazy. We spent 50 pokeballs trying to catch it and then it still managed to get away.

Fun times. They were so damn happy, but I'd lie if I said that I didn't have fun myself.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
I don't do this for money. I only play with each NPC once. And I hate losing money to stupid game of (nearly) pure chance, so I reload until I win, then move on.
The best thing about the dice poker in TW1 is sitting down to play dice with some random NPC just to pass the time between quests, losing every single hard-earned oren because of the "I'll win it back on the next round!" effect, doing a side quest or two to scrape together a bit more coin, and then coming back with a vengeance and winning it all back, plus interest. One thing that makes the minigame great is that it actually has a notable effect on the in-game economy (unlike in the sequels), which makes it much more fun and addictive as there is some actual risk involved. Savescumming just sucks all the fun out of that.

Besides, if you lose a lot of money to an NPC you can play them again later for notably higher stakes, meaning that you'll end up even quite quickly as long as you have enough coin to afford the wager. Even if you lose four or five games in a row, a couple of wins will probably set you straight. Eventually you will win, it's just that a losing streak might temporarily make you poor as dirt, which of course suits a witcher game perfectly.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I spent two hours writing my opinion on the Shadow Reboot warrior I just finished, but for some reason my draft wasn't saved before I accidentally hit the 'go back a page' button on my mouse and I can't be bothered to rewrite everything, so here's the bulletpoints

-Art direction is great, but reuse of assets and background themes drag on for too long
-Shockwave is OP, no need to use Flux and Protective Shield at all
-weapons are underpowered until upgraded, whereas just using the sword makes you unable to get high ranks
-upgrade system as a whole is pointless and doesn't add any depth, it's just there because the developers thought it'd serve as a means for progression
-some lead guy must've really liked Borderlands, considering all the samey looking loot crates containing shit for loot everywhere, and the Last Wind mechanic. It'd also explain the direction they're going with for SW2
-new Wang is a dweeb, like Travis Touchdown without the humor, mediocre voice direction makes the old SW lines fall flat
-new Wang is only fun to listen to when talking to other characters like Hoji
-greater demons and bosses are no fun to fight, and are just massive bulletsponges until you get the rocket launcher really late in the game
-the flying demons cant even be hit with your sword (without the inaccurate blade wave), and often the level designer just put a turret for you to deal with them
-the revolver is inaccurate and useless, the SMG just is and looks underpowered in every way, the crossbow is decent, the shotgun could've used a range boost, the flamethrower is shit, the rocket launcher is too clunky, demon hearts are rather pointless, and warlord heads also feel rather clunky to use
-swordplay is actually fun, and so is cutting up demons into pieces
-enemy variety is kinda sucky, only the generic demons end up being fun to fight whereas the shielded enemies are easily killed by knocking them down with shockwave and shooting a charged bolt in their head
-ranking system is rather inconsistent
-most damage you receive is unavoidable because of dashing having no i-frames, the lack of blocking, lots of wind-up frames on most special attacks, and DaS2-style shockwaves for larger enemies
-it's easier to dash around while using your infinitely usable healing ability rather than use the vampirism on your Ki attacks because of how inconsistent the damage on certain enemy attacks can be
-should've focused more on NecroVision-style limited health regeneration and vampirism in order to get your health back, since you sure as hell aren't expected to use medkits in combat and the healing ability spam is almost mandatory
-all golem boss battles are essentially the same, and the Zilla boss battles (SPOILER ALERT: You fight the big bad corporate boss man) are pathetically easy, yet are constantly halted by Zilla teleporting somewhere else for about 15 seconds until he *teleports behind you* repeatedly
-story is surprisingly competent, and you'll probably feel something else but buyer's remorse and boredom during the ending if you were following the story
-music is mediocre and doesn't really stand out
-level design is Painkiller-tier since the enemies aren't really designed around using the environment in one way or another, and also features colored locks you have to unlock by destroying statues of the respective color which the game considers 'old-school' ("Enough of this old-school bullshit")
-encounter design isn't all that special either with the enemy variety being sucky and all
-there's plenty of secrets, but so are invisible walls
-everything in the first chapters is fucking explosive, which often results in shit blowing up in your face since you will be using a sword most of the time
-reboot-wise it builds upon what made SW stand out originally (melee combat, oriental setting) but falls flat everywhere else (gunplay, level design, humor) even though I consider OG Shadow Warrior to be the least best Doom clone/Build shooter
-overall it has some cool swordplay, art direction and story, which is this game's only saving grace from being another Painkiller clone

baturinsky

Arcane
There are lot of mediocre or just bad parts in Nu Shadow Warrior. My personal peeve is that I have to constantly type sword combos.
But I absolutely love game's ending
when she looks at you and it starts raining. It's so simple, but so powerful - if you have paid attention to the plot, of cause.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I took a look at "The Return of the Obra Dinn" demo, the next project from the man who made "Papers Please". it's been slightly updated since the last release, but from what I can see the changes are only in appearance. The ship looks amazing now, very detailed up on deck.

Gameplay-wise this looks to be only a few steps above walking simulators: You have to determine the fate of everyone on board, 82 in total. To do this you must visit their moment of death (via a ominous-looking stopwatch) and examine the immediate surroundings. At least you have to do something in this one.

The game's gimmick is the monochrome graphics, but at least now you can choose from a variety of monochrome "monitors" to determine the colour scheme.

No ETA on a release date, but somehow I doubt it's gonna be released this year.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Some 20 hours into Witcher 3. Having played through the first two and now this one, gotta say there's this sad, hard to describe, but very much present Slavic cosiness to the whole thing.:S And I love it. I'm not Polish, I'm Slovenian, but there's like a TON of folklore shit that really hits home for me too!

Makes me really angry at that American SJW scum that went after the game for not having schwarzes in it 'n shit. What a bunch of clueless assholes, really.

Also, I seem to really enjoy Gwent.

60 hours into the game and the amount of shit to do is just STAGGERING! Still enjoying myself immensely.

I am getting a bit tired of the constant hand-holding though, especially in regards to all the 'detective-y stuff.' I like the thought of having to figure out what monster is attacking the people that hired me 'n shit, tracking it 'n shit. But the way it's done in game really is pretty weak. Playing with a controller, I'm sick to death of constantly holding down the 'Witcher Sense' button just to serially, mindlessly move from red spot to red spot. Might as well just cut all that shit out and point me straight to the monster! Wish that stuff was a bit more complex, wish there was a 'puzzle element' to witcher contracts. It's weird, the game itself seems to treat 'Witcher contracts' as 'puzzles to solve' in regards to how Geralt comments on them, but the gameplay just ain't there.:D Like I said, you hold down the 'Witcher Sense' button, mindlessly move from red spot to red spot and eventually loot or kill something. But Geralt makes believe like you're REALLY figuring stuff out, like some proper work is being done. You're trying to trick me Witcher and I see right through your pathetic charade!

dunno lah

Arcane
Crusader No Regret.

I wanted to play this game back-to-back after No Remorse back in 2014. But I figured I must've burned out on the gameplay due to frustrations with input response and the considerable difficulty. I remember Darth Roxor saying somewhere that the sequel was better in every way, especially in terms of gameplay. Well, he's definitely right about the gameplay. No Regret expands your movements in so many ways. Forward rolls, moving while crouched, quicker rolling, you can even make a seamless run, jump, then roll movement when jumping from higher ground, which isn't just for the cool factor as rolling into the enemies' view in Crusader makes them respond slower. It doesn't work every time though, which is where I start having problems with this game, including the prequel.

If you're playing this game for the first time, I strongly suggest playing at Normal difficulty(weekend warrior). If you try to be smart and play on higher difficulties, you will quickly realize how annoying explosives are in this game. They one shot you upon direct hits and the blasts have very big radii. They also ignore walls or obstructions so you must always remember to stand far away from any wall when you try popamoling grenadiers as they seem to know that explosives are the shit and will continue chucking grenades at any position you're at behind a wall. You will have to save a lot the first time playing this as ambushes are in full force in this game. Walk past a certain point and you'll find yourself getting boxed in by guards spawning into the playing field, ready to drain your shields and most likely making you reload the game because you're dead.

I also encountered two instances where you can fuck your progress indefinitely if you're an idiot like me who keeps overwriting saves/relying on quicksaving only. I won't tell which part because I want to share the pain with other idiots. Also, whoever designed the final battle needs to be shot in the fucking head. It is definitely the worst part of the game and even the cool death animation barely makes up for it.

These are all the sins that I can only now remember and I am truly sorry. But apart from that, I love everything else about this game. Only a little more refining in the controls and aiming precision I think would make its gameplay perfect. No Regret also seemed to run smoother compared to the prequel so I wasn't really frustrated with shitty input response although there are some parts where plenty of explosions or moving sprites did cause slowdown in the framerate but I'll chalk that up to my shitbox PC.

tl;dr : I love Crusader.(Evidenced by this long ass post which I normally don't can't make.) It's an amazing game. But please start on Normal Difficulty for your mental health's sake.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I also encountered two instances where you can fuck your progress indefinitely if you're an idiot like me who keeps overwriting saves/relying on quicksaving only. I won't tell which part because I want to share the pain with other idiots.

Does one of them involve a disruptor? :M

Also, re: grenadiers - spider bombs are your friends.

dunno lah

Arcane
I also encountered two instances where you can fuck your progress indefinitely if you're an idiot like me who keeps overwriting saves/relying on quicksaving only. I won't tell which part because I want to share the pain with other idiots.

Does one of them involve a disruptor? :M

Also, re: grenadiers - spider bombs are your friends.

What disruptor? I do not know what is this strange "disruptor" thing you speak of. :M

Spider bombs. I do rely on them but for most cases, the guys are always aware of you and they usually blast my spider bomb before it reaches them. Its also pretty unfair that neither their bombs nor my failed spiderbomb actually damages them. Of course that would make things too easy.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Funny fact: IIRC that disruptor is actually absent from the level on the lowest difficulties.

Very nasty trorr, though. I think I even fell for it twice in all my playthroughs.

dunno lah

Arcane
04-george-w-bush-2-copy1.jpg

Jinn

Arcane
I am getting a bit tired of the constant hand-holding though, especially in regards to all the 'detective-y stuff.' I like the thought of having to figure out what monster is attacking the people that hired me 'n shit, tracking it 'n shit. But the way it's done in game really is pretty weak.

I would actually try to gather clues through the ostensible evidence in the game world around me for as long as I could, then switch to witcher senses when I got stuck. Usually whenever I turned the senses on, I was on the right track, so they do a good job of having most of that stuff visible in the game world if you want to do it that way. Otherwise I agree, detective vision is fucking stupid bullshit that needs to die now.

shub

Novice
dungeon siege 1.

do people like this game?

i thought it was a decently fun if undemanding action rpg with a pleasant progression system until i started collecting party members a couple hours in and it became a complete clusterfuck. there's no free camera movement as far as i can tell. it always has to be locked onto a character like that view in mobas people always say to immediately turn off, so splitting up your party and being able to competently control both is much harder than it has to be. combat is basically "focus fire entire eight-man party on an enemy at a time".

something's keeping me playing though. it's just fun enough, i think. it's still pretty light and undemanding on the character progression side of things, people just level their shit by using it and don't have any skill points to apply, which i don't miss and don't think would make the game any better. kind of a goofy game, very linear but the dungeons are pretty expansive and interesting i think. will probably finish it and play the second one. have had them in my steam library for too long.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
Pokemon Go all day long. Told the kids at work to put on their shoes and then they helped me Pokemon hunting. I did the searching and then I let them catch them Haven't seen 6-7 year olds so happy in a long time. We also have a pokestop near so we could fill up on pokeballs. They also got to see me take over a gym. They were hysterical. But most fun was when we found an evolved or legendary pokemon. They went crazy. We spent 50 pokeballs trying to catch it and then it still managed to get away.

Fun times. They were so damn happy, but I'd lie if I said that I didn't have fun myself.

BRO COOL SHIT

BEEN QQ THIJNING ABOUT GETTING POKEMON GO BUT HAVENT YET

IF YOUR ARE THINKING OF COOL GAME SHIT TO DO WITUB THE KIDS MAME IS AWESOME

MYN DAUGHTER LOOSES HER SHIT WITH BATTLE CURCUIT CAUSE THE ONE GIRL HAS A FUCKI G KITTY

ALL THREE GIRLS LOVE PRETTY SOLDIER SAILOR MOON CAISE ITS ALL GIRLS AND SHIT

BESIDES MAME THE FREE GAME MARVEL FIRST ALLIANCE 2 IS PROBABLY THE KIDS FAVPTITE THING AND I LIKE IT ENOUGH NOT TO GET BORED WHEN WE PLAY IT IS AN OPEN BOR GAME

BRO AND IF YOH HAVE GIRLS THE GAME
MY LITTLE PONY FIGHTING IS MAGIC WILL TOTALLY MAKE THWM GO CRQZY

MediantSamuel

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've been playing a lot of Rimworld recently.

Solid, entertaining game. I've played just over 20 hours and I think I'm starting to learn how to actually survive.

Most of my colonies usually die after around three or four hours. The most recent was fairly calm; even on Extreme difficulty with the "Random" AI I was getting barely any action or random events. I finally built up a decent starter colony where people weren't starving to death or going mad. Then a herd of a dozen or so manhunting boomrats showed up when I had a distinct lack of walls or sandbags.

My two best shooters valiantly peppered them from afar with rifle shots but barely scratched the rats. Crossing the snowy tundra quickly, the rats set upon my meager four colonists and melee battle began. A scant half a minute later, three of my colonists were down and the last colonist claimed a kill. Unfortunately, boomrats tend to explode when killed. The dying boomrat killed my final colonist, setting fire to the other two writing in agony on the floor in close proximity and the wooden building behind them also. I didn't bother watching my colony burn to the ground.

Can't wait to get home from work tonight and try again. :salute:

spekkio

Arcane
I've completed Ys 6 - Ark of Napishtim (PC)

Good:
- Simple, yet fun gameplay.
- Almost no filler: short but sweet.
- Writing is actually decent and funny.
- Continuous world with early available fast-travel.
- One optional fetch-quest.
- No usual pointless weeboo sexualization.

Ugly:
- Gameplay based on "set" difficulty, linear stat progression and no level-scaling. Good in theory, but combined with very basic combat, it leads to enemies being either impossible (0 damage - come back later) or too easy (everything dies in 2 hits).
- Some weird things, like crackling noise when moving on grass - it's present even in the PS2 version.
- You can store only 9 items of each type.

Bad:
- Crashes during end credits, confirmed from different sources.

tl;dr

:4/5:

Looking forward to remaining games from the series.

Naraya

Arcane
After playing the demo of Heroes of a Broken Land, which was pretty good, I felt the itch to play a good blobber. So I started Lands of Lore: Throne of Chaos. I never played it "seriously" but I definitely plan to finish it this time. I love the looks, it's beautiful and brings back so many memories of good old Westwood (Kyrandia and Dune in particular).

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I've completed Ys 6 - Ark of Napishtim (PC)

Good:
- Simple, yet fun gameplay.
- Almost no filler: short but sweet.
- Writing is actually decent and funny.
- Continuous world with early available fast-travel.
- One optional fetch-quest.
- No usual pointless weeboo sexualization.

Ugly:
- Gameplay based on "set" difficulty, linear stat progression and no level-scaling. Good in theory, but combined with very basic combat, it leads to enemies being either impossible (0 damage - come back later) or too easy (everything dies in 2 hits).
- Some weird things, like crackling noise when moving on grass - it's present even in the PS2 version.
- You can store only 9 items of each type.

Bad:
- Crashes during end credits, confirmed from different sources.

tl;dr

:4/5:

Looking forward to remaining games from the series.

Agreed on all points (except maybe difficulty - I don't remember the impossible/too easy scale being that extreme). I was actually surprised by how good Ys 6's writing was.

Actually, I enjoyed it so much that it made me replay Ys Origin and play other games in the series too. Check out Oath and Origin next.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I survived Hard Corps: Uprising.

This fucking game is going to be in my nightmares right next to Touhou, Ys and Metal Slug as some carpal tunnel inducing shit. The game is essentially a Contra spiritual successor with the graphical facelift of the guys who make Guilty Gear and BlazBlue. It lives up to the name, let me tell you. So you're a ragtag group of rebels facing off against some big bad fascist army - y'know the usual. There's some writing between stages that's different for each character you play as, which is kinda neat. Writing is good enough for an arcade-platformer, but that's not what you're playing the game for. What you're there for is to die endlessly from hordes of bullshit enemies and traps. The devs knew it was pretty much impossible that anyone but 1CC Contra fans would be able to beat the Arcade mode (3 lives, limited continues, no saves) so they added a stage select slash cheat mode (Rising Mode - basically an upgrade menu for added health, lives, etc) for those lesser beings such as myself.

So - gameplay. You can run, jump, shoot, strafe, dash, air-dash, double-jump, deflect, the usual Contra stuff. Okay, seriously, the amount of movement options is amazing, with them even taking a cue from bullet hells with the deflect option. It'll take a while to get used to, but all the advanced inputs make the game feel more like a true improvement using modern technology. Although there are caveats, such as the fact that your character can stick to walls and ceilings, which means that sometimes you'll be trying to rip your character off like a sticky ball and end up falling to your doom. That happened. A lot. Devs made sure bosses that centered around climbing were short, but it did still feel like bullshit when your character couldn't get his grubby mits off. Enemies are fun to kill, and there's a wide variety of them so they never get stale, and learning their patterns (same goes for the bosses) is some of the most fun parts of the game. Surviving with your wits, reflexes, and a bit of memorization is key to winning. It would be much easier with a friend, but I'm on the Codex so that ain't happening. Bosses range from fun to just kill me so they did that well. Graphics are freaking ace, again, Arc System are darlings when it comes to 2.5D and the PS2 era anime intro/outro are really something to behold. Music was good, a lot of good rock riffs and some electronic stuff not exactly anything too memorable though sadly. I think the voice acting (in English!) was done in-house in Japan, so it was wonky but it added to the charm.

TL;DR:
+ Solid stage design
+ Variety of fun enemies and bosses
+ Character movement is advanced and polished
+ Graphics are amazing
+ You can play as Duke Nukem through DLC*
+/- Much better with a friend
- Movement can be wonky
- Rising mode is necessary for mortals
- Only on PS3 and Xbox 360

:5/5:

uprising_harley_daniels.png

Adon

Arcane
I survived Hard Corps: Uprising...

Game is great, and it's a nice bone for Contra fans like myself who haven't had any games since I think Contra 4 on the DS?? Too bad Konami is all about that pachinko money because I would love for them to let Arc System do a sequel since that 3DS Contra game never got made. I've been meaning to replay it, and to beat it on Arcade mode, but I'd like to try to do in co-op if I can find anyone who would be willing to suffer with me.

Atm I've been playing BloodRayne which is a serviceable hack-n-slash. I dig the open levels, but like a lot of games (esp. modern ones), there really isn't worth much exploring. No hidden secrets, or cache of weapons that I can think of, at least nothing that's well-hidden where you have to go out of your way to find it. Combat is so-and-so, you just use 1 button to attack and as you progress through the game you extend that measly 2-hit combo into eventually 5. Game also has a "blood rage" mode where everything slow downs, screen goes red and you just automatically dismember enemies with 1 hit with the exception of stronger enemies, bosses and the "sub-bosses" of the game. There's also guns you can pick up and use which don't really have much use except when you're low on health in a boss fight. Other than that the only situation I've needed to use the guns for is when there is 5 or more enemies grouped together, it is just easier to shoot them down than to slash them to death, watching those same 4 awkward animations play out over and over again.

It's not terrible, but so much of it ends up being middling that the combat gets tiring halfway through the game. I remember the 2nd game having better combat, but way more linear levels. Which is fine by me. Other than having room to really move around, the level design doesn't have much worth exploring for. That's not to say that there aren't moments when it uses that level design to its advantage and makes the game enjoyable when you progessing because it does. The downside is that enemies respawn, and with the combat getting so tiring at one point I just decided anytime I had to backtrack I would just run past enemies instead.

Last edited:

spekkio

Arcane
Crooked Bee

I def. gonna play Oath and Origin. But AFAIK 1/2 remake still uses the original "bump into enemies" combat system. How is this shit, compared to Ys6 system? :?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom