Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Raapys

Arcane
EDIT:
Is Uplink much better than Decker?
Haven't played Decker, but Uplink is one of a kind. Everyone should play it at least once.

There's also a very decent mod for it, though I wouldn't advice it for a first run given the rather huge difficulty increase(play it near-perfectly or be unable to progress).

Doktor Best

Arcane
I'm playing my first hacking game ever - Decker. And I'm really surprised that such a little game can be so much fun:)

EDIT:
Is Uplink much better than Decker?

Dat desktop background, i still remember it from a pretty old version of the shadowrun rulesbook. This is how to make memorable cover art.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
Tried playing Dungeon Lords for the first time. Wow, what shitty movement and combat mechanics. David W. Bradley has clearly gone insane and full decline.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Speaking of Dung Lords- I tried that new Steam version, this time with magic user. Way better than hacking and slashing (my character from Collector's Edition), miles better than awful ranged character (which was played in MXXII).
Don't see much differences between this one and previous version (MXXII) besides taking all loot by pressing E key again and minor stuff that can be added via patches.
Oh and this time I dropped it somewhere in the sewers even though magic user is going better that other classes.

David W. Bradley has clearly gone insane and full decline.
That's the Sir-tech thing...

Last edited:

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I used Priests of different alignments myself.
4/6 of my party was good, turning them all evil was a major headache.

Been fooling around in Wiz4 a bit, completed mapping out floor 10 and progressing slowly through floor 9. The difficulty spike is real between those two floors. I also encountered a statue which summoned (?) a hellhound with 300 hp, didn't end very well for me.
I really enjoy it so far, Trebor hasn't been an issue for me as long I keep dosbox on a low cpu speed and make sure to camp each time I map my progress. In the camp menu there is an ominous "key" counter, I take it that's the amount of keys I can press before game over?

My progress through World of Xeen is going (very) slow but steady, just finished mapping out Rivercity. Those insane beggars crack me up. So far my main complaint is the same as I had for MM III: the combat, but that was to be expected. I like the idea of going up to the top of a tower and then levitate on clouds, although nothing mindblowing has been discovered up in the sky yet. I like the faces of your characters when you fall down though.
Priests of :rage:NG!!! They are definitely on my Top Ten Most Annoying Enemies list.
I think my current #1 hated enemy would be the Phase Spirits from MM II. Fuckers are immune to physical damage, immune to magic damage, can only be killed by the Holy Word spell but they drain the entire party's magic points on their turn. Fucking shit was beyond infuriating.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I really enjoy it so far, Trebor hasn't been an issue for me as long I keep dosbox on a low cpu speed and make sure to camp each time I map my progress. In the camp menu there is an ominous "key" counter, I take it that's the amount of keys I can press before game over?

You mean the numbers go down? I thought it just recorded how many key presses you use.

My progress through World of Xeen is going (very) slow but steady, just finished mapping out Rivercity. Those insane beggars crack me up. So far my main complaint is the same as I had for MM III: the combat, but that was to be expected. I like the idea of going up to the top of a tower and then levitate on clouds, although nothing mindblowing has been discovered up in the sky yet.

No Mega Dragon?
Priests of :rage:NG!!! They are definitely on my Top Ten Most Annoying Enemies list.
I think my current #1 hated enemy would be the Phase Spirits from MM II. Fuckers are immune to physical damage, immune to magic damage, can only be killed by the Holy Word spell but they drain the entire party's magic points on their turn. Fucking shit was beyond infuriating.

That's why you Speed is the most important stat, even on your Cleric.
I love the the diversity of enemies and items in MM2. :love:

Ivan

Arcane
Return to Castle Wolfenstein

4688B15E816C667307CC57A6F91FE977E4255D28

turrets YAY....

I've read that this is an example of "good" FPS in the modern age, but meh it was decent. It certainly doesn't shit on the new Wolfenstein by the ex-Starbreeze gentlemen.

Things I did like:
-enemies don't have perfect aim
-thorough exploration is almost mandatory on Hard since health packs aren't prevalent (which keeps up the challenge)
-enemies have evasive moves when they need to reload

Weapon switching was tedious and I think held back the game for me big time

:3/5:
enjoyed it but wouldn't recommend it

which classic/modern fps should I try if my holy 4nity are:

Blood
FEAR
Doom
Shadow Warrior (classic, duh)

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign

You mean the numbers go down? I thought it just recorded how many key presses you use.
Indeed, it starts at 99999 and goes down for each key pressed. While it is a large number, I don't really have a feeling for whether it will be enough or not but given you have to be very careful with when you save, I hope it wont be an issue.

My progress through World of Xeen is going (very) slow but steady, just finished mapping out Rivercity. Those insane beggars crack me up. So far my main complaint is the same as I had for MM III: the combat, but that was to be expected. I like the idea of going up to the top of a tower and then levitate on clouds, although nothing mindblowing has been discovered up in the sky yet.

No Mega Dragon?
As in the same Mega Dragon from MM II? I am not very far in the game so hopefully I wasn't supposed to meet him yet.

That's why you Speed is the most important stat, even on your Cleric.
I love the the diversity of enemies and items in MM2. :love:[/QUOTE]
I did learn my lesson regarding speed in MM1, but damn those Phase Spirits were fast so took a little to get it high enough. I didn't abuse the obvious use of the free stat boost along with the stat trading to get max stats.

Ivan

Arcane
Red Faction 1
bland shooting, terribad vehicle sections, enemies spawn all over the place creating for lulz worthy moments. thankfully it's incredibly short
:2/5:

2 is minimally better, but Guerilla and especially Armageddon are solid.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Indeed, it starts at 99999 and goes down for each key pressed. While it is a large number, I don't really have a feeling for whether it will be enough or not but given you have to be very careful with when you save, I hope it wont be an issue.

It won't, unless you are an extremely slow or incompetent player.
On my last save game the Keys number was 938402. So it actually starts with 999999, not 99999.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Ivan...why you need to remind me about RtcW, the only FPS that can't work properly on modern systems. AI turn off, crashes... played bunch of (mediocre or not) FPS titles from 2000-2010 but only this one have a problems. Not even fanmade patches helped.
enjoyed it but wouldn't recommend it
thankfully nobody here will listen to your advice

Red Faction was indeed terrible, no surprise since devs started contaminating this genre with PS2 era vile touch.
Enjoyed LAN session but it lived too short....

Ivan

Arcane
played RtCW on Windows 10 no problems at all. sorry if it's not of much help.

Alien Isolation
mustered the fucks to finish this one off (two hours left or so). it looks fantastic, sounds fantastic, but the Alien is wayyyyyyyyyyyy too omniscient. the tools provided to deal with it are insufficient. and the campaign is dreadfully loooooong.
:2/5:

"press X to ripley"

DeepOcean

Arcane
Keep playing Baldur's Gate 1, finaly arrived at Baldur's Gate. Baldur's Gate is an strange game, I remember playing BG 2 before playing BG 1 and I wasn't that impressed with how primitive BG 1 was in comparison with BG 2, I remember giving up pretty early but replaying now... while BG 2 is far superior to BG 1 on alot of aspects, there is one thing where it is far better than BG 2, the story. I'm not talking of particular characters or dialogs, BG 1 had a ton of limitations, both NPCs and party members don't talk much, I'm talking of the framework of the story.

You start leaving the stronghold with your foster father on a hurry, Gorion doesn't explain why of the hurry, right after leaving Candleekeep, you are ambushed by a misterious man that wore the same armor of that skull armor guy from the intro. For some reason, he wants you, you assume pretty quickly that it probably isn't a good thing. Gorion tells you to go away and dies fighting the man. You, as the player, barely know Gorion, you meet him for the first time and a few minutes later he is dead and the foster father upbringing is the traditional cliche upbriging of 10 to 10 chosen ones. BG 2 later made the mistake of trying to dramatize Candlekeep, Imoen, Gorion and the whole abduction of Imoen, obviously that stuff was forced as fuck, on BG 1, Gorion, Imoen and candlekeep were of minor to no importance to the player. Gorion is later almost forgotten on BG 1 because he did his part, to show this misterious guy is ruthless and powerful and he wants your ass.

Before dying, Gorion gave you instructions, to meet Jeheira and Khalid at the Friendly Arms Inn but that is it, after that short intro, you are free to go everywhere, with exception of Baldur's Gate city, it is just a general direction, you don't NEED to go there. If you decide to take Jeheira or not, the main quest goal shortly become to investigate Neshkel mines because... there wasn't anything better to do? Neshkel mines is on the other side of the map and between you and it, there is a huge number of areas to explore. You are free to go almost everywhere, and during this exploration, you learn of the bandits, the iron shortage and the threat of war with Amn. Exploring the Friendly Arms Inn, Neshkel and Beregost, there are four attempts of murder on you and on the wilderness, you meet enemy parties that want to kill you to cash in on the reward on your head, placed by a group called Iron Throne. It doesn't take long for you to realize that those bandits, the iron shortage and the threat of war were orchestrated by the same group that want you dead so going to Neshkel mines and discover what is happening there makes sense.

You discover the story on BG 1 and everything that is happening in the world had somehow a connection with you, it made sense to discover what the Iron throne was and who this Sarevok is. Bioware did a great job of connecting the world with the player, by discovering the world, you discovered who Sarevok was and who you were. After Neshkel, you go after Thazok, the leader of the bandits and again, the only information you have is that they are somewhere to the north and you have to find their camp by yourself. Later on the game, you discover that the Iron Throne was pushing hard for war with Amn on a time where the only supplier of iron would be them, they would be powerful and be seen as the saviors of Baldur's Gate . To make their domination more secure, they were infiltrating dopplegangers on other trade unions and having their infiltrated agents do terrible business decisions that only benefited the Iron Throne. Soon they would have Baldur's Gate by the balls.

Obviously writing this makes it sound more awesome than it really was on practice, on practice it was killing trash mobs and having one paragraph conversations with NPCs but I liked how the story was down to earth and the true aspirations of Sarevok a mistery for most of the game, Sarevok didn't used "SUPER AWESOME DIVINE MAGIC POWERS of a SUPER BADASS 1000 YEARS OLD DUDE" to make the story go on, just plain backstabbing and playing dirty what makes him much more relatable than someone like Irenicus or more recently... Thaos ... even having alot less lines of dialog. I liked the story more when you discovered it by exploring the world instead of having extensive info dump NPCs that is the fashion these days.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
My venture into the mole hole lead me into tropical island full of pirates, tribals armed with kalashnikovs and wild animals where everything want to bite you, forcing to grind these green healing herbs, where you find more wild animals.
My initial description of Far Cry 3.
I think I found definition of insanity.
It's grinding stuff combined with crafting. Gather animal skins to carry more ammo, guns and money. See cool gun in the shop? Too bad, it cost 2-4x more than you can even carry in your wallet. Nobody heard about credit cards here. You can't do exchange (money into treasure - gold bars, gems, statutes) like I would do in some obscure games. You need to stab pigs, boars and climb higher in the animal kingdom pyramid(c) to make ultimate wallet.
Melee work in the strange way. You run around pirate like a Sonic, then stab him in the back for instatakedown, but frontal attack tickle him with your blade.
Oh, and enemies are no longer bullet sponges but you still need to do headshots because it give you more XP.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Read it, found that there will be bigger spawn of enemies and forgot about that mod.
Might stick to vanilla, not like Dylan's Mod for FC2 where game was unplayable in clean version.

Ivan

Arcane
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault

ah, much better than RtCW. game feels buttery smooth, as it was built on Quake 3 engine. Weapons feel great, enemies react to nonlethal shots. great variety of missions, sniping, urban warfare, really cool undercover/stealth levels. 2 HUGE difficulty spikes though, sniper town and the final "escape"

MoH: Spearhead
more action packed than the first, still has bland turret/tank sections

MoH: Breakthrough
non-stop action, cool set pieces, still the same tough combat from before but fewer bullshit/difficulty spike moments.
Easily the best part of Allied Assault
:4/5:

oh and the game has fantastic music:

Last edited:

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
Momodora 4 done.

It's a good, short game, but you have to play it on Hard for it to be any kind of challenge.

I've put all my career aspirations on hold to play Divinity: Original Sin. I'm like 102 hours into the game and probably not even a quarter done with it.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I took a few days off work to play D:OS, iirc. I started playing it and just couldn't stop, so I had to. It was worth it; hadn't had that much fun with an isometric RPG for quite a while, and never since (Underrail being a close second).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom