Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Had a short go at Gods Will Be Watching:

Strike 1: Mixes modern-day hi-res graphics with retro pixel graphics, resulting in horrible clashing.

Strike 2: Options menu consists only of audio volume adjustment.

Strike 3: Gives me a strong 'walking simulator' vibe even though it has an adventure game-like interface.

No thanks.

It's not a walking sim. It's actually a puzzle game with little room for error. (Or at least that was the case before the latest patches which supposedly toned down the difficulty somewhat because people were complaining about it being teh hard.) It's not bad.

pippin

I finally managed to gather the motivation to play Fallout 3 and honestly, I have never played such a boring game, and this is coming from someone who is used to play medocre games and still enjoy them.

I am so unbelievably bored than I am wondering if I am not playing it "wrong"; being a huge Metro / S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fan, I expected to get some good post-apoc vibes out of it, but 9 hours in, I still have no idea what I am supposed to enjoy in that game. Aiming is apathetic, moving is slow, the weapons have zero punch (some may even be in the negative), the voice-acting is competent but the writing is beyond vain, everything sounds like filler-babble to make it appear verbose and smart even though nothing of substance is said in two full paragraphs. It doesn't even provide an adequate theme park, the graphics are so bland and the colours so washed out that it feels like walking through the Gamebryo editor before you render the lighting... and that's after the ENB mod.

I'm at loss here, it never happened before. Even other games that bore me initially like Shadow of Mordor or Far Cry 3 eventually grew on me, but this? Again, it really feels like I am playing it wrong, since even some Codexers enjoyed it.

Nine hours of complete boredom and I am rushing the main quest to tick an invisible box and say I am done with it. It fits the title of the thread, I am indeed wasting time on this.

You just have to walk around and find things. It's Oblivion with Guns in more ways than one. Although I'd rather explore the subway than Oblivion's bland dungeons, and that's not even a compliment, it's the sad reality we live in.
If anything I think the more things are explained to you, the less it all matters, at least for me. In New Vegas you never really *knew* what was going on. I mean, the conflict was clear, but every major character was different, even inside the same factions.
Shadow of Mordor at least has quirky shit on it, so it might grab your attention. I haven't played it but I did played and enjoyed the first two Batman games because of this, and also because you're the goddamn Batman.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I finally managed to gather the motivation to play Fallout 3 and honestly, I have never played such a boring game, and this is coming from someone who is used to play medocre games and still enjoy them.

I am so unbelievably bored than I am wondering if I am not playing it "wrong"; being a huge Metro / S.T.A.L.K.E.R. fan, I expected to get some good post-apoc vibes out of it, but 9 hours in, I still have no idea what I am supposed to enjoy in that game. Aiming is apathetic, moving is slow, the weapons have zero punch (some may even be in the negative), the voice-acting is competent but the writing is beyond vain, everything sounds like filler-babble to make it appear verbose and smart even though nothing of substance is said in two full paragraphs. It doesn't even provide an adequate theme park, the graphics are so bland and the colours so washed out that it feels like walking through the Gamebryo editor before you render the lighting... and that's after the ENB mod.

I'm at loss here, it never happened before. Even other games that bore me initially like Shadow of Mordor or Far Cry 3 eventually grew on me, but this? Again, it really feels like I am playing it wrong, since even some Codexers enjoyed it.

Nine hours of complete boredom and I am rushing the main quest to tick an invisible box and say I am done with it. It fits the title of the thread, I am indeed wasting time on this.
Overthinking it. Just play and poke around and shoot some mutants. If you find you aren't having fun enough, just uninstall. You wont come out a better person for having rushed through the storyline and ticking off the box. Just drop it and play something youll enjoy.

Leechmonger

Arbiter
- Best gunplay since... FEAR1? Headshoting a fag from afar never gets old. Same with flushing fags out with grenades, then mowing them down with AR. Fuck year.

I tried playing through FEAR again a few months ago (I loved it when it first came out) and I gotta say it hasn't aged well. The gunplay felt really shitty, actually. Maybe it was because I was playing on hard, dunno.

Looking for some RTS fun I tested Ground Control.

You should give Total Annihilation a shot, if you haven't already. There's an ongoing large community patch project as well.

Shadow of Mordor at least has quirky shit on it, so it might grab your attention. I haven't played it but I did played and enjoyed the first two Batman games because of this, and also because you're the goddamn Batman.

Arkham Asylum is way more fun than Shadow of Mordor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Krivol

Magister
Ok, after kicking some dutch asses in Colonization I started playing Ultima Underworld. It's my third(-ish?) attemt to finish this game and I am already on lvl 3 - game is great, gives nice feeling of exploring some nicely designed dungeons. More toughts when (if?) I finish this.

Mustawd

I finished the "good" campaign from Age of Fear: Undead King last night. It wasn't a bad campaign, and I had fun. Will probably start with the "evil" campaign pretty soon.

What's weird though is that there was quite a difficulty spike at the end. Basically two back to back battles without a chance to replenish your troops. Unfortunately, this takes some pretty good optimization/balancing of your army, and mine was a bit subpar. So I tried like 5 or 6 times to beat it, and threw in the towel by changing the difficulty to Easy. I'll run through it again on hard later on, so I don't feel too bad.

sser

Arcane
Developer

The fun in Fallout 3 is strictly in exploration -- at least it was for me. And there is quite a bit to see and do. I wouldn't pay much attention to the writing or story. If you think it's bad now, I got bad news cause it careens off the fucking cliff in the last act.

Beowulf

Arcane
Overthinking it. Just play and poke around and shoot some mutants. If you find you aren't having fun enough, just uninstall. You wont come out a better person for having rushed through the storyline and ticking off the box. Just drop it and play something youll enjoy.

The fun in Fallout 3 is strictly in exploration -- at least it was for me. And there is quite a bit to see and do. I wouldn't pay much attention to the writing or story. If you think it's bad now, I got bad news cause it careens off the fucking cliff in the last act.

And yet it's here, on the 'dex, in RPG subforum nonetheless.

Ivan

Arcane
Banner Saga 2
more of the same (not a bad thing); C&C seems very half-baked, inconsequential (especially the Caravan's morale). music was less pronounced than in Ep. 1
:3/5:
Trine 3
had a ton of fun with it, though I understand that bringing it into 3d lends to frustrating platform maneuvering. music and art are still top notch
:3/5:
Armikrog
I don't think I can continue playing this, music is nice, it looks nice, but it's buggy as fuck. music and sound cut out frequently. puzzles are disconnected from the narrative.
:killit:

Rabbid

Savant
Trine 3 is the weakest link in the series, but it is still very good. I have seen people refuse to even play it because of the bad reviews. It speaks volume about the quality of the series when a great game is considered complete trash by fans of the firsts, but it would still be a mistake to miss on it. And if you ever want to go through it again in coop, just give me a call.

Even the devs think the game was bad: https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/47pm9l/we_are_the_developers_of_trine_and_we_failed_our/

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Lara Croft and Guardian of Light
Tomb Raider turned into arcade shooter with upper camera? That's the way to deal with stagnation in TR series.
Better than new trilogy (Legends, Anniversary and Underworld) and gore party one, but not as good as originals.
Enemy melee attacks have huge range (bigger than your camera can show) so you need to rollin-rollin-rollin-rollin, if you want go gather biggest score multiplier.
And it have universal ammo, like Deus Ex Invisible Wars. Gosh... plus "funny parts" with ancient warrior dealing with modern technology. Da.
Who though that constantly pressing button to pull out guns was good idea? Was that so comfy on pad? I can't see it.

Might check new one - Osiris Temple when it go beyond -75% somewhere in Christmas.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Trine 3 is half-finished at best. They made the call to add the third dimension to the game, and yet they rarely do anything clever with that third dimension. It's a slightly inferior game compared to its prequels, but it's still a Trine game at heart, so it's at least worth playing. Those extra challenge levels are a bitch, though.

Meanwhile I played and finished Broken Age.

On one hand this is clearly a Double Fine game headed by Tim Schafer, it has the quality traits that are so apparent in many of his games.

On the other hand this game is a mess, cobbled together pieces rushed through production and tied together with yarn or something.

The first problem is the start - there's almost nothing that draws in the player, and the opening premises of a baker's daughter forced to take part in a ceremony whose purpose isn't quite explained, and then a boy stuck on a spaceship doing fake missions...it doesn't leave the player with purpose, even a direction. Players stumble through events rather than try to solve tasks. The game does pick up a bit once the story picks up a semblance of direction, but this takes far too long. By the time players have a firm grip on things and are getting somewhere, the Big Twist of the game rolls round and flips everything around. While an interesting prospect at first, it quickly devolves into large amounts of backtracking and randomly-generated pattern puzzles that accomplish little more than annoy rather than entertain.

Character development is also full of holes - the most interesting characters in the whole game are the talking cutlery, with Dutch the Knife taking the lead. Almost every other character is at least somewhat established, but gets no chance at any organic growth. At one point there's here and they're doing this, the next they're over there doing that - and far too often there's little that links the two.

I think the best way to sum up Broken Age is this: It's a game that needed more time in the oven, while having its yarn woven a little tighter.

Last edited:

tormund

Arcane
It's not bad.
I disagree. I don't know what they changed with patches, but back when I tried to play the game it was like really punishing Sierra adventure (deaths and alien logic included) with addition of RNG since every action had only a chance of succeeding.
I think everyone can imagine how "enjoyable" such a game is.

I also agree with Cat about visuals.

Naraya

Arcane
Threw a towel in Thief Gold again - the mission got ridiculous and artificially stretched, IMO.

Installed Deus Ex GOTY and GMDX, going to start my first ever playthrough. Can't wait, to be honest - I had a blast playing SS2.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Strange. I got not much problem with that mission. Took me less time but more than decent Thief player can do :)
There were annoyances in T1 and T2, sure. But the only mission that lead me to uninstall.exe was the one where you abduct some Mechanist. These endless tunnels, my goodness.... I can live with the map (just a paper, man) but wandering this endless digestive system with no visible asshole to went out drives me insane.

Last edited:

Naraya

Arcane
Well, I haven't uninstalled it - just put it on a hiatus for now, again... I still think the game is fantastic and one of its kind, it's just I currently feel like I'm wasting time getting lost in the tunnels for the nth time, while I could be playing an entertaining and engaging game (like Deus Ex).

I *will* finish TDP one day :)

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Been playing Tribes: Ascend...

#Trump2016

adotis.jpg

htsjf4.jpg

---

Arcane
I'm playing Jagged Alliance 2, for the first time.
Lots of fun, but I'm only at the beginning (after the first city, I'm now cleaning up Drassen), I hope it won't become boring.
I'm playing it without the famous 1.13: I tried to install it, but there are a lot of options which are of course addressed to people with at least basic knowledge of the vanilla game, so I think that I will finish at least a game before.

Humppaleka

Cipher
Started Eschalon Book 1. Uninstalled after one hour. Installed Dead Space 2. Now that is more like it.:smug:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I beat Ys: The oath in Felghana. it was really fun and probably the most challenging game I have played in the series. Played it on normal and still found it to be very challenging. Great soundtrack, nice level design and fun combat. My new favorite game in the series.

I also beat Persona 4 Arena Ultimax. I just went through story mode as that was the only thing about the game that I really cared about.

I'm also progressing in Digital Devil Saga on PS3 and playing Yesterday on PC.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished Bet on Soldier addons - Blood on Sahara and Black Out Saigon (see the pattern with "B o S" letters?).
To save my disc from vile StarForce drm I installed them on virtual pc, removed this drm and dropped on real pc.

Sahara is particular short, 2 missions only. One may mistake it for the demo.
Saigon is prequel trying to show origins of so called Resistance (Red Hammer, commie chinks).

There are 3 ways to beat champions. Either you slash them with rotate blade (only melee weapon in the game, imagine predator's wrist blade but with motocycle handler) in the face, feed them with WarShotgun or burn with flamethrower.
They nerfed the latest massively so if you picked flamer - you already lose the game.

If the games weren't such garbage quality then WarShotgun would be put into all these Top10 weapons in FPS titles etc.
It's basically super shotgun from Quake2, turned upside down, that shred power armored enemies into dust.

They didn't chanced announced in Saigon so they call you by the name of main character from previous game :lol:
Sahara is the first case where I met enemy with flamethrower, little shock but not much since they nerfed it, in vanilla it would be game over scenario.
Oh and how do you beat that flamethrower guy? By coming closer so he pull out the blade. Clever. Not so.

Now it's time for Iron Storm, game that share universe and concept of syndicates keeping the whole world under war for profits.
Found that there is updated version called World War Zero, might check this one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom