Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

kris

Arcane
Gave Walking Dead Season 1 a try, completed the first chapter, uninstalled afterwards.

If you're gonna make a game that only rarely gives me control of my character, and force me to watch my character go through pointless ordeals that I could see coming a mile away (slipping in puddles and tripping over everything because *suspense* while being paper-thin on gameplay and heavy on cutscenes and character interaction, then go write a fucking comic book or make some TV series about it. DO NOT make a game.

Sounds like my experience.

I am doing some distant galaxies: universe together with my mentioned FIFA.

Mustawd

If you're gonna make a game that only rarely gives me control of my character, and force me to watch my character go through pointless ordeals that I could see coming a mile away (slipping in puddles and tripping over everything because *suspense* while being paper-thin on gameplay and heavy on cutscenes and character interaction, then go write a fucking comic book or make some TV s

I agree that as a game it fails miserably. But I kind of see these types of things as "cinematic cyoa", in which case it is quite enjoyable. I like the animation style and the feel of it follows the show pretty well for a mainstream "thing".

Once your butthurt heals, I'd say give it a try if animated cyoas are your thing. Otherwise, just ignore what I said.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Played Layers of Fear. It's a walking simulator. A horror walking simulator sure, but still a walking simulator. There are deaths in the game, and I think they are somewhat of a failstate because they affect what ending you get, but I'll get to those in a bit Story is somewhat interesting, I suppose, but it's told primarily through item interactions, and it's of that wanky "You bring your own interpretation, man." variety that results in virtually no clear-cut answers by the end. Main clincher is that despite having a lot of interesting and really well-done visuals and effects, the game is not particularly scary. Here, I'll spoil 90% of the game's scares for you:

1. You walk in a room/down a hallway
2. You reach the other end of the area and look at an object the game obviously wants you to focus on
3. You turn around and are either treated with a jump scare, or the environment has been altered (spOOOOoooOOOky!) in a way that allows you to progress further.

The remaining 10% did have some legitimately well-done scares though, so I can't completely trash it.

Game's also around 3 hours long at most. There're a couple secrets you can find and three different endings, but the overall story stays the same every time and you're left with about as much answers as to what's going on with all of them. Just watch them on YouTube and save yourself the time.

Only recommend when 90% off and you've got two or three hours to burn.

spekkio

Arcane
Finished Resident Evil 1 - HD Remaster

Good: :)
- Good old gameplay: mansion=dungeon, resource management, tank controls, etc. Some people hate it, but these are faggots.
- Some subtle touches for the people who played original, like the lack of famous window-jumping dogs or adding enemies in areas that were safe in original.
- Some nice new enemies (gun bullets don't cancel dogs' attacks anymore, fast / resurrecting zombies).

Bad: :(
- Hunters were nerfed. WTF?! They were the epicest enemies, esp. in Arranged mode of PS1 DC version (able to one-shot you, hard to kill due to the "roll to the side when shot" trick).
- Technical quirks (proper 16:9, scaling, performance). Typical Capcom.

Ugly: :?
- Background are visibly re-scaled (resizing artifacts).
- New areas aren't that great (long corridors).
- New puzzles aren't as good as the original ones.
- Writing is as pathetic as always.
- No new modes / characters / unlockables.

Verdict:

:4/5:

Nipslip

Novice
Playing Baldursgate 1 and 2 enhanced right now..
Also bought Endless Legend some days ago, but I find it boring.. Probably doing something wrong..

Mustawd

Finished Resident Evil 1 - HD Remaster

Good: :)
- Good old gameplay: mansion=dungeon, resource management, tank controls, etc. Some people hate it, but these are faggots.
- Some subtle touches for the people who played original, like the lack of famous window-jumping dogs or adding enemies in areas that were safe in original.
- Some nice new enemies (gun bullets don't cancel dogs' attacks anymore, fast / resurrecting zombies).

Bad: :(
- Hunters were nerfed. WTF?! They were the epicest enemies, esp. in Arranged mode of PS1 DC version (able to one-shot you, hard to kill due to the "roll to the side when shot" trick).
- Technical quirks (proper 16:9, scaling, performance). Typical Capcom.

Ugly: :?
- Background are visibly re-scaled (resizing artifacts).
- New areas aren't that great (long corridors).
- New puzzles aren't as good as the original ones.
- Writing is as pathetic as always.
- No new modes / characters / unlockables.

Verdict:

:4/5:

Good to know! Have this on my backlog way down there somewhere.

spekkio

Arcane
Well, if you played it back in the day, it's just same old with new graphics.
If you didn't, it can be a little bit too oldschool for modern taste (mood > akshun).

Mustawd

Well, if you played it back in the day, it's just same old with new graphics.
If you didn't, it can be a little bit too oldschool for modern taste (mood > akshun).

Yeah, I played both 1 and 2 but never finished them. Mood in both was top notch IIRC.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
After long time of struggling with Larian games (decade or even more) I managed to finish one of them - Divinity 2 Ego Draconis. Main quest line is short, but the amount and length of side quests is incredible. Even fedex quests involve something cool.
With Larian games it always goes that - played for around 10h and then dropped for years despite being cool games (they looks good on paper, would give them 8/10 if I even made a review of them), pick again to play even less time and drop almost forever. Until now, with Div2.
No fall damage? Cool. High jumps? Ok. Bad air control? Not cool (not only because lava under my feets).

Now it's time for Flames of Vengenace. Barely started and incline pumped up 200% <mumbling Terminator theme>
Oh boy, first 3 persons need around 6k XP for mind read o.O

Last edited:

janior

Arcane
Patron
Playing for the first time in DS1 with m+b, i'm 12 hours in and i must say that those controls grew on me i actually think they're better then controller, ofc they're not perfect but still(btw. anyone intrested in buying x360 controller in perfect shape :lol:?). I must have been retarded 3 years ago when i first tried m+k setup.

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Currently getting my ass handed to me in Dark Forces. Lucasarts was a great company, men.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So this weekend I had plenty of time and therefore managed to play 3 pretty neat Indies:

• Oxenfree : A short of "light" adventure game heavily dependent on dialog and choices which you can go through once in 4-5 hours. It somehow manages to be very interesting from start to end and promotes replaying due to story changing depending on your choices. I will definitely get the misses to play it just to see how her choices will form the story.
  • Sheltered : A survival/resource management game where you play a family living in a shelter in a post-apoc scenario. You have to manage all their needs and scavenge for stuff. Quite addicting but also repetitive at times.
  • Halfway : I'm actually ...halfway through it already. For those that don't know it, it's a tactical tb-squad strategy game. Mechanically it's pretty simple but the atmosphere, nifty old-school visuals and the smooth flow it has, keeps me interested so far.

Mustawd

Halfway : I'm actually ...halfway through it already. For those that don't know it, it's a tactical tb-squad strategy game. Mechanically it's pretty simple but the atmosphere, nifty old-school visuals and the smooth flow it has, keeps me interested so far.

Is good.

Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Playing Dark Souls 1 as a Pyromancer, at first I didn't understand what was great about it but it has grown on me. I started with a warrior build but it wasn't as fun as the current Pyromancer class build I'm using, it gives me more to use than just a weapon and a shield. I just can't get the hang of how to parry. Using mouse and keyboard after figuring out how to install DSFix and all that shit, purchased it a couple years ago from a Steam sale but couldn't get the mouse movement to work so I just said forget about it until recent times. Just wish the camera movement was smoother but other than that enjoying the hell out of this game.

Executr

Cipher
Just finished FO1 (fixes-only FIXT) with a low Luck build, at level 13.
Stats were:
ST: 7
PE: 8
EN: 8
CH: 1
IN: 5
AG: 9
LK: 2

Tagged Small Guns, First Aid and Science. Wasted the perks on Swift Learner x2, Dodger and Mr. Fixit, in this order.
Couldn't defeat Lou and killed Master with a combination of rockets, for the mutants, and sniper.

Next is JA2, a game I've been longing to play, and later I might try FO1 again with a thrower build.

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Currently getting my ass handed to me in Dark Forces. Lucasarts was a great company, men.

tumblr_o1gdhrxJXk1rkrwaco1_1280.jpg

:shredder:

Been meaning to start an RPG, but haven't felt like committing my time to it. So I've just been playing a bit of Path of Exile and Smash 4.

For about a year I've been getting together with a group of friends maybe 1-2 times a month to eat, drink and play it long into the night. We do 8 player free-for-alls, we setup crew battles, 2v2 tournaments and traditional 1v1 brackets. It's honestly a shitload of fun. Everyone's gotten so much better in the past year, that even our wymyn are legitimate threats these days (even if they don't fully understand the mechanics behind what they're doing).

I'm glad this is has become a thing because I've always really liked Smash. From a young age I've always had a PC + Nintendo console, and both systems were always light on traditional fighters. It's a faggy kids game, but I love it. No other FG has the edgeuarding or the same level of explosive jank that it does, plus its general freedom of movement reminds me of Descent or Jedi Knight 2 DM.

My friends have been tryharding, though, and starting to beat me more often. So it's time to up the ante and gitgud, I guess. I really need to pick a new character, because all the ones I gravitate to end up being shite.

The first two characters I picked up were Ganondorf and Zelda who are now largely considered to be the worst characters in the game. Ganon was a glorious gladiator in Melee, but over time they've tuned his damage way up and his mobility way down, slowly making him a fat piece of shit. He can kill anyone in like 3 hits but has no answer to faster characters with better frame data. Zelda is really strong against beginners and the 8-year-olds who play on For Glory for largely the same reasons. All of her aerials are devastating when they hit and she has a telefrag that can kill you from across the stage, but her aerials all rely on hitting with tiny sweetspots and have terrible landing lag if you miss. She's really good if you're getting the hits in, almost unfairly so, but you have rely on the other person fucking up since she can't really pressure someone safely.

The character I feel I'm best with is Roy. He's got a super aggesive Anime Conan playstyle where you cleave everything with a fire sword. But again, he's bad. For everything good about him there's a significant drawback. He's absurdly fast, but hit initial dash animation is longer than most so you can't act as quickly out it or dash > shield to counter projectile spam. He hits *really* hard for his speed, but only if you hit close to the hilt of his sword. You'll never kill someone by hitting with the tip of his blade which almost negates the benefit of having big disjointed attacks. His air mobility is also good, but not his air acceleration, meaning he can't change directions in the air without using up his double jump. Combined with his fast fall speed, means he gets juggled a lot harder than most characters. You can still kinda zig-zag his air trajectory by pivotting his special moves in the air, but that involves committing to an attack when a lot of characters can move that way just by virtue of having better physics.

Probably gonna settle on the new DLC character, Corrin, when all said and done. She is a half-dragon who does Guyver-like dragon transformations and I want to be a dragon. She has a magical chainsaw sword, a paralyzing projectile and boasts good range with huge disjointed spear attacks. Hitting with the speartip does absurd damage and knockback, but requires some good reads. Only thing that sucks is that she's slow and her throws don't lead to much damage, so someone playing runaway or turtling inside their shield can be hard to deal with. Cloud players love to do exactly that, so this is a pretty big drawback since he's the current flavor of the month. But landing those spear tippers is too damn satisfying. And she reminds me of a Castlevania character for some reason.

Also trying to be able to do certain techniques reliably. I'm now able to do jump-cancelled pivot upsmashes out of a run. In someone like Mario or Fox's case, whose upsmash is one of their best moves, being able to kill out of a dash is a huge benefit. This allows Mario to dash in and pressure with his big invulnerable head hitbox instead of using his stubby, shitty limbs. With Fox, he's so fast in the ground and his upsmash comes out instantly, so being able to do sliding upsmashes while reversing its direction opens up neat combos and some unexpected punishes. This technique is doubly good for Fox because his other smashes are not that great; his side smash in particular has a huge blind spot directly in front of him and has bad knockback

i'm gay

Watser

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Just finished Wizardry II: The Knight of Diamonds
nfIqYoK.jpg
The game is considerably easier than the first game due to the KOD items being broken as fuck. The armour giving you low enough AC to practically make you immortal except against ogre lords, the shield gives you an infinite source of healing, the helmet letting you cast a power monster group damaging spell, the blade made my fighter dish out 100+ damage each round, and the gauntlets lets you cast Tiltowait which is the singlemost powerful spell in the game.
The different floors were all in all also easier to map compared to the first game except for the 2nd floor because half of it is covered in darkness.
I managed to find a ring which transformed my priest into a lord, so my party composition is now: fighter, samurai, lord, bishop, mage.
All in all good times were had.

Just imported my party to Wiz III and they are all level 1 again. Now that I have no priest I fear I am a bit fucked and may have to change my bishop, depending on how fast my lord gains priest spells.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished Prince of Persia - Warrior Within. The only part of new trilogy that I did not managed to finish due some obstacle at the last 1/4 of the game, might be glitches. Game have dozen of them, most of them have simple solution - start from the scratch.

Victim of giving games more edgy theme. Replacing arabian themed tones with nu-metal (Godsmack) was shit move. Even decade ago, when I could listen to this garbage, I considered it as stupid move.
Not much plot holes for game about time travel, color me surprised.

I played PSP version on emulator, was stupid enough to play on git-version (testing builds) because "there are no graphic artifacts", only to meet crashes somewhere later in the game.
Most of them happened in bonus, PSP exclusive, puzzle rooms. The ladder tunnels, those make path to throne room longer, were pain in the ass.

And I think my gamepad have damaged stick after playing it, character walk instead of running when pushed ahead.

octavius

Arcane
Patron

Just imported my party to Wiz III and they are all level 1 again. Now that I have no priest I fear I am a bit fucked and may have to change my bishop, depending on how fast my lord gains priest spells.

I think you'll find Wiz III a much better challenge, especially since starting stats are capped at 15, meaning you get no bonuses as all.

Watser

Arcane

I think you'll find Wiz III a much better challenge, especially since starting stats are capped at 15, meaning you get no bonuses as all.
The few encounters I have had so far have been against 8+ enemies at the same time and either killed me or forced me to retreat back to town immediately, but the first level was a bitch in Wizardry I as well.

I want to start Arx Fatalis, is it recommended to play it vanilla or go straight with the Arx Libertatis mod?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Vanilla has gamebreaking bugs. Don't. I dunno about Arx Libertatis, but at least all the patches you can find are mandatory.

Watser

Arcane
I can see my feet when I look down. My mind is blown.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom