Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

I have to wonder why some people (mainly critics) prefer the reboot and this over, say, Underworld and Anniversary, which mixed shooting with lots of good ol' fashioned puzzle solving.
Actual puzzles are anathema to 'modern game design'. People want to be herded through a corridor, press A for awesome and be positively reinforced with the occasional pavlovian switch, to make them think they're clever.

Daemongar

Arcane
Codex Year of the Donut
Also, what's the "conversation" you referred to in your post?
The conversation with Myrkul. For some reason, it was long with the Angel gal, short with Spirit Shaman and Red Wizard. I was looking forward to this, and I suspect the conversation is longer if you don't have 100 in your influence on your companions, but I don't know. I had a 60 influence on the Angel, while the others I had 100.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Which one of these I should try to play, Worlds of Legend:Son of the Empire, Veil of Darkness or Shadowlands (this one I have actually played as a kid)?

On an isometric binge?

Of these three, Veil of Darkness is most likely to entertain you. Just keep in mind that it's an Adventure Game with minor 'role-playing' aspects thrown on top of it. Good luck finding the werewolf!

Worlds of Legend is all about solving lever/pressure plate puzzles while building up spellchains to kill your enemies. If you've played the original (Legend, or Four Crystals of Trazere) then this is just more of the same.

Shadowlands I know the least of, but if you played it as a kid it should at least be worth a go.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished Neverwinter Night 2. [OC]
Why do you people keep doing this to yourselves

Because I rather play this Kodex Kult Klasik than another Codex GoTY like FO4. Like that site was prestigious in the first place...

FEAR I always felt I was running out of ammo

Running out of ammo in FEAR?
If you have gun X in the inventory and pick the same gun from the dead enemy - you get half the magazine.
But you get way more if you drop your gun, pick the enemy gun and then - pick the one you dropped.
Problem solved.

Last edited:

pippin

And F.E.A.R. Jump scares are derpy ass hell, but gunplay is really solid.

FEAR's jumpscares made me laugh. I don't know, I guess being exposed to modern horror flicks makes me find this sort of thing like really tryhard comedy, as if everything was a really bad sequel to Scary Movie. Besides, those really felt out of place since I always felt I was running out of ammo and medkits. In my opinion, a more sci fi-ish approach could have been better than the spooky scary bullshit.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
On an isometric binge?
Considering it.

Shadowlands I know the least of, but if you played it as a kid it should at least be worth a go.
Shadowland's trick is in it's lighting system, that is used in puzzles and if remember correctly it also affected monster behavior, with some monsters being attracted to light sources while others avoided those. Game also had magic system where you had to drain item durability to replenish mana.
I'll probably try it first.

FEAR's jumpscares made me laugh. I don't know, I guess being exposed to modern horror flicks makes me find this sort of thing like really tryhard comedy, as if everything was a really bad sequel to Scary Movie. Besides, those really felt out of place since I always felt I was running out of ammo and medkits. In my opinion, a more sci fi-ish approach could have been better than the spooky scary bullshit.
Those scares really feel like they were pasted in at last moment from completely different game, don't they?

Last edited:

sullynathan

Arcane
Even though Far Cry 3 was boring a lot and bland, I liked the ending. It was very unexpected that the game killed you for chasing the pussy.

Bahamut

Arcane
Never played old Metal Gear MSX games so i decided to give them a shot, just finished the first one and besides driling this theme into my skull

It really made me appreciate Metal Gear Solid more, still the game is pretty basic and has some annoying stuff (like keycard juggling) but it was nice to see the origins of ideas that where expanded in later games.

Now started the second one, and damn i really like the intro animation

While the first one felt bit barebones, the second feels like a "modern" MGS game, only in 2D

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Because I rather play this Kodex Kult Klasik than another Codex GoTY like FO4. Like that site was prestigious in the first place...
Prestigiousness or lack thereof of this place has nothing to do with my question: why are you such a masochist. I don't know about FO4, but just because it's terrible doesn't make NWN2 OC any less terrible, and you could've skipped straight to MotB, then played SoZ and MoW, all 3 of which are varying degrees of great. But eh it's your time.

The conversation with Myrkul. For some reason, it was long with the Angel gal, short with Spirit Shaman and Red Wizard. I was looking forward to this, and I suspect the conversation is longer if you don't have 100 in your influence on your companions, but I don't know. I had a 60 influence on the Angel, while the others I had 100.
I don't remember how much influence changes this, but there were IIRC quite a few stat checks in there, and if you don't have them you probably won't notice Myrkul lies a couple of times. It's a great conversation, and in my case I hadn't read any spoilers so I had no idea it was coming up, and was quite shocked when I realized who I was about to talk to. I think it helps that it comes very close to the talk with the Founder, which is also another of my favourite moments in the game.

rhophiehalul78

Literate
I'm wasting my time on Dota 2 (thousands of hours already) playing with my friends and XCOM trying to get all achievements (still a long ways to go).
I also waste my time on Civ5 using several mods and trying playing as different nations.

groke

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera BattleTech I'm very into cock and ball torture
endscr_the-colonels-bequest.png

scream_of_defeat.png

pippin

Rise of the Triad: Dark War is the only thing keeping me entertained these days when it comes to vidya.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
AOD BROS

AFTER A FEW FALSE STARTS BRO THE MERCENARY IS AN HONEST AND LOYAL MAN WHO LOOKS FOR ANY POSSIBLE REASON TO MURDER AS MANY PEOPLE AS POSSIBLE

JUST FINISHED ANTIIADES WITH THREE HP LEFT AND BLEEDING IT WAS GREAT

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Digging through that again, playing with the DosBox :
40818-198987_43097.jpg

I wanted to replay Dragon Wars and to play Wasteland for the first time. I couldn't manage to make Dragon Wars work, so it will be Wasteland. Looks cool so far.

Mero16

Barely Literate
I sunk into the neverending hole of Sims 3, since I was finally able to find a fairly good torrent for it and get it running. I have also been steadily putting time into GTA4, which I've been enjoying a lot more than GTA5. Also just started Zone of the Enders 2, and I've enjoyed the first hour or so I've played so far.

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
Really enjoying Underrail, though I did restart the game with a new character. Started out with a chemical/energy pistols one and just got tired of the difficulty.:S Running with a psi build now, it's way easier, not too easy though, and I'm having a blast!

Brutan

Savant
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I'm playing Pillars of Eternity right now. Man it's a great game with the latest patch and expansion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom