Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

tindrli

Arcane
Lo, a sad time in the house of BRO. A laptop of minimal power, and lowly xbox console to busy idle hands.

"JESUS" said BRO, "THE KJV BLONDE ONE THAT SORTZA LOOKS LIKE A HIPPIE AND NOT SOME FAKE COLORED ONE!!??
WHY HAVE YOU DITCHED ME BRAH!!! LET ME GET AN XBONE TO PLAY THE NEWEST POPAMOLE"

And the Lord said unto BRO "CHILL FAGFGOT PLAY YOUR CLASSIZ DOSBOX SHIT AND YOUR FAGBOX AND BE HAPPY??11" BRO wept.

Then the Lord ruined his laptop, and BRO was unable to play much more than dosbox games. The Lord sparked energy into his
wife's heart, and the BRO was left with almost no time to use the fagbox.

Through the release of Wasteland 2, he suffered in silence.

Through the release of AOD, he suffered in silence.

Through the release of POE, he probably didn't miss much.

BRO then replayed Might and Magic 3-5. BRO fell to his knees, with tears of joy running down his face. He cast his eyes towards heaven. "BRO JESUS FUCK A NEW FAGBOX ILL JUST PLAY THESE OLD
GAMES ON MY MOMS SHIT LAPTOP AND MAYBE SOMEDAY GET A DECENT PC I AM A TOTALL PCTARD NOW!1!"

The clouds split. Lightning crashed and seared the sky. BRO cowered in fear. "BE NOT SUCH A FUCKINGH PUSSY" said Jesus,
"FOR YOU HAVE FORSAKEN THE POPAMOLE CONSOLE FAGS AND HAVE ONLY ROOM IN YOUR HEART FOR THE MASTER RACWE!!!
BRO JUST SELL BACK SOME VACATION TIME AND TELL YOUR WIFE YOULL GETR A GOOD FAMUILY COMPUTER JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE
A DECENT GRAPHICS CARD!!!1"

BROS I GOT A NEW LAPTOP I AM HAPPY AS SHIT I NOW HACVE A GIGANTIC BACKLOG OF SHIT I WANT TO PLAY!!! I CAN PLAYU MOST OF THE SHIT I TRIEWD ON HIGHEST SETTINGS THE NEWEST ONE IS METRO 2033

i wonder, what LAPTOP model did you got bro!

laclongquan

Arcane
Playing Silent Storm made me remember this thread, because time is literally being wasted on these goddamn enemy turns. Even with double animation speed they still can take ~2 minutes.
Great combat despite that thou.
????
Your computer is last century rig? Because mine is 2GB Ram and 256 GC and we run it just fine~ The double anim speed mod really works wonder compared to the vanilla speed. You should have checked if the mod is active in your savegame, using S2Addmod.

Mystary!

Arcane
Playing Silent Storm made me remember this thread, because time is literally being wasted on these goddamn enemy turns. Even with double animation speed they still can take ~2 minutes.
Great combat despite that thou.
????
Your computer is last century rig? Because mine is 2GB Ram and 256 GC and we run it just fine~ The double anim speed mod really works wonder compared to the vanilla speed. You should have checked if the mod is active in your savegame, using S2Addmod.
Wut? My computer is way overpowered, the game itself runs just fine and animations are indeed sped up.
The problem is you have to watch a dozen invisible civilians running back and forth over and over again on every fucking turn.

Nattvardsvin

Learned
Playing Unreal Return to Na pali and Drakan Order of The Flame.
I'm pretty much save scumming through both. But I feel justified doing it in Drakan because the combat is fucked.

Blonsky

Prophet
Week before christmas is a perfect time for me to start playing a longer game, so i started Dragon Age origins + awakening.

laclongquan

Arcane
If you dont feel like watching them in a few mission that got them, dont forget that wound them near death, but let them bleed to dead, leave no consequence on your team. Even directly kill them only cost you 40 medal points each, equivalent to participating a successful mission, or killing three hostiles. And medal give nothing other than decorations.

The only exception is Swiss missions where one civilian die get you a game over.

Adon

Arcane
The other day I finished Jade Empire, and my thoughts about it are mostly the same; esp. about the setting being mostly dressing.

By the time I reached the Dirge and they just fucking drop all that exposition so late in the game I was so bored and ready to finish the game that I started to just read the dialogue instead of waiting for the line to be read so that I can skip ahead. Speaking of the Dirge, the twist that gets you there at least explains why Master Li was such a shitty teacher to the rest of the students, but overall I don't really have much of an opinion on that. It's just a twist, there was nothing monumental about it, just a way to find out more about your heritage and the Water Dragon.

I also went through the whole game without knowing about Focus until the very last battle. Haha, oh god, that would've made like the 5 tough fights I had in this game easier. The arena battle before the last one where they throw all those enemies at you? Easy in general, but those Elephant demons always fucked me up and it took me plenty of tries to do that one right. Then there's the last arena fight, the Dirge "boss" fight where you fight 3 different you at the same time, and the last 2 battles of the game (4 giant demons, final boss fight). I don't even remember if the game ever teaches you about Focus, I suspect it did, but I don't even remember. Frankly, it wasn't even necessary outside of those fights I mentioned and even some of those were because how bloated the enemy's HP seemed to be. Really telling of how lackluster the combat was.

Companion AI sucks in this. Attack is useful only for your partner to draw attention of enemies to stop them from overwhelming you in certain situations. Otherwise they just get in the way, or get killed half the time. Support is kind of nice I guess, but I never really used it. Companions in general were pretty lackluster. A few had some interesting ideas (Dawn Star, Wild Flower, maybe Sagacious Zu) but the only one I liked was Henpecked Hou. Wasn't necessarily the most interesting, just the one who felt rounded. Apparently I missed some stuff with Wild Flower which almost makes me want to go through the game again, but naaaahh.

It's an okay game.

laclongquan

Arcane
2 run of Hammer & Sickle (long run and short run).
2 run of Silent storm sentinels.
5 run of Silent Storm
This conclude my Silent Storm engine binge after 2-3 years dont play it~

Comment: the clue generator of SS engine make sure that each run varied enough. I do wonder why developers wont make more use of that kind of idea.

Example: One Allies campaign I have almost no clue of the English traitor, Newhouse. Another cut me off entirely from Russian missions, and that Russian connection, Lebedev. One allies campaign had me capture both Newhouse and that German traitor Koch early but can not find any clue to make them talk and my team just stumble into Swiss mission. One Axis campaign cut me off Hannover area.

It's ingenious.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
2 run of Hammer & Sickle (long run and short run).
2 run of Silent storm sentinels.
5 run of Silent Storm
This conclude my Silent Storm engine binge after 2-3 years dont play it~

Comment: the clue generator of SS engine make sure that each run varied enough. I do wonder why developers wont make more use of that kind of idea.

Example: One Allies campaign I have almost no clue of the English traitor, Newhouse. Another cut me off entirely from Russian missions, and that Russian connection, Lebedev. One allies campaign had me capture both Newhouse and that German traitor Koch early but can not find any clue to make them talk and my team just stumble into Swiss mission. One Axis campaign cut me off Hannover area.

It's ingenious.
Man, when a Russian game clicks, it really clicks. :russia:

sullynathan

Arcane
I'm new to the forums too.

I think I have hit my limit with Gothic 3 and it has really burned me out with the fetch quests, back tracking and the choices. I'll force myself to beat it and drop it for now. I'll get back later and play it as a mage in a couple of months.

SirSingAlot

Arbiter
playing Cosmic Encounter with my family because xmas

if i am not back the day after tomorow, my aunt took the betrayal of my pacifists negotiation for shared world domination not lightly enough.

ruined family relations on xmas due to a boardgame?
11/10
would do again

Deleted member 7219

I am very close to finishing Metal Gear Solid V. I've seen the ending, and now I'm just working on maxing out Quiet's bond so I can see the 'true' ending - just cuz I'm a completionist that way.

I like the game overall. The story is held back by lack of dialogue and cutscenes - all the 'good' stuff is in the tapes, and they are a chore to listen to. A lot of stuff doesn't make sense or is quite boring, but I expect that from a Metal Gear game. The best thing about the game is the gameplay itself. Splinter Cell in two open worlds.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Finished:
"Return to Castle Wolfenstein" (Hardest Difficulty)

Impressions:
Not that "hard" but really dig the atmosphere.
Relative level openness allows some choice of approach.
Severe head bob when crouched to stealth-move was annoying.
Hidden Secrets are appreciated.

Additional Comments:
The ending segment feels rushed...

You destroy the "Super Soldiers" yet at the end there are 3 more to be transformed into "Dark Knights".
Also in spite of all the previous hype ("will it even be possible to defeat them") "Dark Knights" are just generic "Undead Warriors".

Also "Heinrich" himself is pushover lacking an even a good ranged attack.
Had more trouble with both previous bosses...
Makes one wonder why the Nazi's even wanted the guy so badly.

Evil Blonde (scantily clad) Sorceress falls to her knees and declares "I serve you master!"
:shredder:
My first response would not be to "Mwahahaha" and turn her into a shambling zombie husk.

Even assuming a strictly business relationship "dark sorceresses" tend to be more valuable minions than generic zombies.

Last edited:

Mustawd

Finished Halway. good tacticool game.

Wasting time on a shitty mobile to PC port game called Dark quest. It's really a clone of Warhammer quest. I have a compulsion to finish games, so I'll probably drop 2 more hours into this today to finish it (total of 3hrs to finish).

:negative:

EDIT: Tried getting a refund, but apparently I can't get one if another game in the same purchase is 2+ hours...wtf is that bullshit? Yes I bought other games at the same time. So what? One game is a different product form another one...

Also playing Call of Juarez. It'd be much more fun if not for the dumb stealth/platforming missions.

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Uncharted. Because it came with my PS4.

First modern "general gamer" franchise I've played in a long time.

Blonsky

Prophet
Final Fantasy 5
After all of level grinding to fight the bastard, Exdeath shows up again because he turned into a splinter.
Nope, im done with this.

Taking some rest with Grand Ages: Medieval, reminds me of Port Royale (buying/selling resources, building cities/buildings that you need for production chains) but it fells like its a bit less complicated. Still not an easy game when you get bigger.

kwanzabot

Cipher
Shitposter
i dont really play much games anymore but i play nhl 16 madden 16 and im diamond 2 on league of legends :P(but i quit that game mostly)

GhostBadger

Started playing Might and Magic 1. Still early on, trying to get my party a little less weak yet by exploring the dungeon below the starting town.

Really well-made game, great interface. I would pay money for games like this made today.

Cerulean

Cipher
Currently playing through Fallout 4, but it's mostly drudgery at this point. I'm just playing long enough to make sure I've seen every location. Bethesda games are hit-and-miss, but the sightseeing is always pretty.

Also playing through Pillars of Eternity since I have a week off and I can finally start wrapping my brain around it. I've never played a party-based RPG before so I'm getting used to the play style. Seems odd that combat auto-pauses every other second or so, but so far I'm finding it really enjoyable. And boy is PoE pretty.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom