Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
Dead State. I nearly wanted to get my money back but I persevered through bugs.
Now I want Dead State 2 and I didn't even finished it

WhiteGuts

Arcane
I played Warframe back in the day, and had to drop it because of how fucking grindy it was. For example, doing the same boss over and over again just for one material was seen as a perfectly normal practice. This isn't my definition of fun.

i tried warframe in beta and indeed it was like that, it sucked and i left it in horror. now only 2 frames need that insane amount of grinding (one because it's some sort of prestige item, the other because it's just out and been tied to spy missions only few people were doing), all the others take hardly more than 15 minutes if you're very very unlucky with the drops.

MadMaxHellfire, I didn't say hard I said drag, as in fucking boring.
well, if you don't like the running, gunning, dodging, evading, shooting, meleeing, modding and stuff you can't say "the game has nothing to offer". you don't like it, perfectly fine.

Alfons

Prophet
I didn't say the game has nothing to offer. It's just another game that's ruined by the shittiest business model known to man.

but i just shown you it's not o_O everything can be built, resource aren't an issue (in defense, interception and survival even rare resources rain from the sky) and there's a steady income of in-game premium currency.
what do you need more? being paid to play it?

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
There is no steady income of anything. You need to repeat the same exact missions over and over and over and over again in the hope that you'll get something actually valuable in your pittance of a reward. I remember that by the time I was 30-40 hours into Warframe, I had finally got the parts to make a single body part for another character. All I needed to do was repeat a boss fight ad infinitum, waiting for item drops.

circ

Arcane
Dood. That's fucking nothing. I have spent days on MUDs trying to get item drops from the same NPCs. I remember people who would stay up all night, fail and fall asleep, wake up cast 'locate' and notice someone had taken 'their' item in the meantime. And then cry about it. Even years later. A classic. A man called Graatch.

Kids today, wanting everything handed to them.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I played Warframe back in the day, and had to drop it because of how fucking grindy it was. For example, doing the same boss over and over again just for one material was seen as a perfectly normal practice. This isn't my definition of fun.

Sounds like Monster Hunter games for me (hunt monsters to make better equipment from their trophies).
Except few details... like the fact that you can stick to one type of weapons and not being forced to use items, that you don't like/can't use effectively.
And it's not mindless grind. Unless you're so wise you think Dark Souls is mindless button masher.

There is no steady income of anything. You need to repeat the same exact missions over and over and over and over again in the hope that you'll get something actually valuable in your pittance of a reward. I remember that by the time I was 30-40 hours into Warframe, I had finally got the parts to make a single body part for another character. All I needed to do was repeat a boss fight ad infinitum, waiting for item drops.
syndicate points and missions: every day the missions are different, once you have enough points (4-5 days) you can buy a syndicate weapon to sell. usually 30-40 platinums for some of the best weapons available. or you can try to sell mods for more profit but are harder to find the right customers for.
but anyway, maps are random, spawns are random, weapons are in the hundred, loadout options are in the millions... there just isn't "the same exact mission over and over and over again". just no.

new frames: you need 3 pieces, every boss has a 100% chance to drop randomly 1 of the same frame. at best you need to do the same boss 3 times, at worst after 6-7 tries (about 3-4 minutes each, maybe less if the team is skilled and the boss is low level) you have a whole frame. you can outright buy 4-5 frames in the dojo: volt, zephir and banshee are fucking powerhouses.

nigga please.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
syndicate points and missions: every day the missions are different, once you have enough points (4-5 days) you can buy a syndicate weapon to sell. usually 30-40 platinums for some of the best weapons available. or you can try to sell mods for more profit but are harder to find the right customers for.
but anyway, maps are random, spawns are random, weapons are in the hundred, loadout options are in the millions... there just isn't "the same exact mission over and over and over again". just no.

new frames: you need 3 pieces, every boss has a 100% chance to drop randomly 1 of the same frame. at best you need to do the same boss 3 times, at worst after 6-7 tries (about 3-4 minutes each, maybe less if the team is skilled and the boss is low level) you have a whole frame. you can outright buy 4-5 frames in the dojo: volt, zephir and banshee are fucking powerhouses.

nigga please.
Was this updated significantly since I played it? I don't remember anything about a dojo or a syndicate...

It is the same exact fucking mission over and over and over again. The level layouts are randomized, but they are constructed of large, discreet chunks that play the same each time. The boss I remember replaying forever was just a big bad alien in a single large room. I'm not going to pretend that needing to repeat it 6-7 times successfully is anything but a worthless F2P timesink designed to get people to pay for things with real money.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
It was the only boss available to me. Fuck off if you think any of this belongs in a third-person shooter.

Alfons

Prophet
MadMaxHellfire, again you are inflating it. Hundreds of weapons, how many are actually good and how many are transitional shit? Millions of loadout, how many mods are straight up shit? When I stopped playing I collected about 50-100 different mods, and I had about 5 which were good. If you look at any of the Warframe build videos you'll see the same 20 mods popping up over and over again.

In the time I played I did about 20 derelict runs, which adds a wonderful easter egg hunt element on top of the grinding. I got only 2 or 3 good mods and only after 20 I got the one I actually wanted(the efficiency one). Shortly after that I uninstalled that shit. The game did become more fun, but I got a "fuck you!" epiphany. That mod allowed me to play in a way the game is supposed to be played from the start. Don't get me wrong, I saw the way they gimped you to squeeze a buck out of you from the beginning, but when I finally got some efficiency mods I realize how much they gimp you.

Then you have the fucking potatoes, mods you can only get from alerts, forma, materials you can only get from alerts. There are layers upon layers of F2P horseshit with this game and I'm sure you being the warframe apologist that you are can find an excuse or "solution" to each of those. In reality, it's shit, and the game would have been much better if they changed the way it works or drastically toned it down.

Mystary!

Arcane
Playing Silent Storm made me remember this thread, because time is literally being wasted on these goddamn enemy turns. Even with double animation speed they still can take ~2 minutes.
Great combat despite that thou.

MadMaxHellfire, again you are inflating it. Hundreds of weapons, how many are actually good and how many are transitional shit? Millions of loadout, how many mods are straight up shit? When I stopped playing I collected about 50-100 different mods, and I had about 5 which were good. If you look at any of the Warframe build videos you'll see the same 20 mods popping up over and over again.

In the time I played I did about 20 derelict runs, which adds a wonderful easter egg hunt element on top of the grinding. I got only 2 or 3 good mods and only after 20 I got the one I actually wanted(the efficiency one). Shortly after that I uninstalled that shit. The game did become more fun, but I got a "fuck you!" epiphany. That mod allowed me to play in a way the game is supposed to be played from the start. Don't get me wrong, I saw the way they gimped you to squeeze a buck out of you from the beginning, but when I finally got some efficiency mods I realize how much they gimp you.

Then you have the fucking potatoes, mods you can only get from alerts, forma, materials you can only get from alerts. There are layers upon layers of F2P horseshit with this game and I'm sure you being the warframe apologist that you are can find an excuse or "solution" to each of those. In reality, it's shit, and the game would have been much better if they changed the way it works or drastically toned it down.

last reply, just for the sake of knowledge, because i'm speaking with a wall here.
the efficiency mod? "streamline"? http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Streamline
Dropped by
Grineer Arid Lancer
Grineer Desert Heavy Gunner
Grineer Frontier Heavy Gunner
Grineer Frontier Hellion
Grineer Frontier Lancer
Grineer Drekar Scorpion
Grineer Lancer
Grineer T3 Defense Reward
Spy 2.0 Reward
it drops fucking everywhere. lancer and scorpions are trash mobs.
maybe you were speaking of some other mod? oh right, you were talking about some rare vault mod? sure, you could farm the vaults, or perhaps you could have spent 10-15 platinums to buy one and fuck the farming? 10-15p when by selling syndicate weapons you get 30-40p every 4-5 days. per syndicate. and you can affiliate to two easily, some manage three. not me, i'm too lazy.
potatoes (orokin reactors/catalysts) are high end stuff and you would be supposed to use them on prime frames/weapons and other of the most expensive stuff. i have lots of frames unpotatoed which work perfectly. 90% of the melee weapons don't need a potato.
mods only from the alerts? none whatsoever. but there are some event mods. oh my fucking god! event stuff! stuff exclusive to events! oh my fucking god! i've never seen anything like that! oh my fucking god! the apocalypse is upon us!
forma? they drop a fuckton at once, i'm trying but i just can't get rid of them. and also: high end stuff.
shit mods? a bunch, yes. mostly common. common? COMMON?! how dare they put a rarity tiering to mods?! such insane ideas we have here...
minmaxed builds? never heard of before, they must be something the devil invented only to torment warframe players.
transitional weapons? oh my, more devilry exclusive to warframe! beside: yes, there are but 1) shotguns are considered to be vastly inferior to some of the cookie cutter builds weapons. i often top damage dealers with my shotguns. i'm a terrible shooter player 2) potatoes and formas are there for a reason 3) a total rebalance is in the working anyway 4) fixes and tweaks arrive every week.

good bye.

Alfons

Prophet
So I can either pay more cash for something that supposed to be standard or I can do other type of busy work that I can't even do yet, nice. I can argue with other horseshit you say or point out why the counterpoints you raise are a load of shit but I'll just say this.
3) a total rebalance is in the working anyway 4) fixes and tweaks arrive every week.
As much as you try to bullshit people into thinking that the game isn't ass you still point out that a rework is on the way, and they fix shit every week. Seems even though you are a fucking retarded fanboy you still have some sense, even if it's only on the subconscious level.

I don't know about you but it doesn't instill much confidence in me that they need to unfuck something each week and that they constantly rebalance shit. Their idea of balance being taking something extremely powerful and making it incredibly shitty and vice versa. Maybe these fucks can actually test the changes they implement before shitting them out every few months.

Enjoy playing your grindfest turd of a game, more power to you.

how dare they try to improve my game!!! why can't they forget it and just sell dlc after dlc like everyone else does???

dude, fuck off.

Alfons

Prophet
Wasn't that your last reply dumbass? Improving the game is a great idea, but if you are incapable of doing it that it's not actually improving. How many times do they need to fuck around with the same frame before they actually get it right? Maybe they should hold off on releasing new shit and focus on fixing what's in the fucking game already. We both know why they don't, because it wouldn't give incentive to guys like you to waste their time and money on this thing.

Adon

Arcane
Finished both Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Fable: The Lost Chapters.

Chaos Theory is Chaos Theory, one of the better, if not best, stealth games out there. Can't really compare that well with its own series as the only other one I've played was the original and that was years ago. But I had my fun with it, enjoyed sneaking around the majority of it. Good stealth mechanics, good level design for the most part, and a story that you can completely ignore because it isn't intrusive like a lot are nowadays.

As for Fable, the only word that stuck to my mind after finishing was plain and simple: shallow. The whole game was shallow, and every aspect of it felt underdeveloped with some neat ideas here and there. I got TLC a few years ago because I had played the vanilla version 10 years ago and was always curious to play that. Turns out I wasn't missing out on much, if anything of substance (har-dee-har) really. The main campaign is still largely the same, and the stuff in the Northern Wastes is like 5 missions stretched out to make it seem longer. You go in, grab a bunch of items, then grab more items and then fight a dragon and that's it. Combat got dull pretty quick, especially once enemies start blocking more often. And dear god, if you play a good guy, the constant amount of adoration you get really got on my nerves after a while.

Right now I'm going through Jade Empire. EA was giving it away on Origin so I figure why not. Seems typical Bioware for the most part. But it did make me realize how much I would like to see this type of setting used well in a good game. JE isn't the worst Bioware game, but it's not good either. It feels like they slapped in the setting on top as dressing without doing much with it and as a result ends up being kind of uninteresting. On some level the game comes across as just... phony, especially when they try to be philosophical/thought-provoking with some of their lines. Combat is okay, if a bit too slow, but has some neat ideas that could've worked better in a faster and more complicated game. Too bad by the time you get some of the styles they're not really worth changing to, and some are outright useless.

Last edited:

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
So I said some time ago I would replay Half-Life, and I did. I must have mellowed out a lot in the past 20 years, I remember hating Stonekeep, Half-Life, and others so much on release, then playing them later and not disliking them as much as I remember. Half-Life was an interesting case though because I think I mixed up memories of HL1 and HL2 and attributed things from the later game onto the earlier. Some random thoughts on the first game follow, mostly dealing with some criticisms I've made of it in the past:
- the not-cutscenes. They're nowhere near as bad as I remembered. Even the tram ride was fun. There are some places where you stand and people talk at you, but I remembered them going on for minutes, and they in fact rarely go on for more than 10-20 seconds. I think it's HL2 that made them crazy-long and made the one-way dialogues sound much stupider.
- AI is bad. Like, REALLY bad. I've talked at length in the past about this, but it's even worse than I remembered. It's obvious that the game tries to use a similar gimmick as FEAR, but the level design doesn't really allow for it in many cases, and so the marines just stand there staring at you while you gun them down, or turn their back to you and frantically shoot in the opposite direction, and other hilarious shit. Otherwise they're one of the most boring enemies ever, since they're 100% hitscan, whether using a shotgun or a semiauto.
- Some really cool set pieces. Very good use of enemy placement in relation to level design, and I've praised this before. Very few games actually get this right (I think Doom, HL1 and Unreal are the only ones that really pull it off so well actually)
- Weapon variety is actually quite impressive. Some of them are boring, some are useless, but still, having so many options is a ton of fun.
- I've bitched endlessly about linear scripted rail shooter, and I stand by this. It's the game that popularized FPS = linear scripted, and I don't necessarily see it as much better than its imitators. This isn't a case of Doom-toos being shit because they missed the point, this is the case of HL1 being praised above everything else JUST because it was the first. Makes sense if you like linear shooter design, but I'm not a huge fan. Though maybe it really IS better than imitators since at least it didn't have fucking regenerating popamole gameplay...
- The worst, and it ties into the above: this is an FPS designed by people who wanted to make a linear platformer. And GOD it shows. I hate platformers, so needless to say am not happy with one masquerading as an FPS.

All in all, much better in some ways, but even worse in the worst point.

Also played the expansions. Opposing Force I actually liked, I think more than the base game. It has even MORE weapons, even better set pieces, less annoying platforming, and actually makes really good use of secrets, especially in levels where you have to keep your squadmates alive to get the secret. Blue Shift is pretty short, inoffensive and boring. I realized there's something called Decay that was a coop expansion for the PS version only, and I actually tried to play the PC port, but the controls are clunky in SP (you have to switch back and forth between the 2 characters)

Now let's see how HL2 holds up.

Campion

Novice
Hello friends, I'm trying this forum out since I have a few other friends who pointed me in it's direction. People know about Antisocialfatman here too, so that's pretty nice!

Lately I've been doing Fallout New Vegas with some mods. I'm glad I gave New Vegas a shot because Fallout 4 made me want to stab my eyes out with broken glass.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
Lo, a sad time in the house of BRO. A laptop of minimal power, and lowly xbox console to busy idle hands.

"JESUS" said BRO, "THE KJV BLONDE ONE THAT SORTZA LOOKS LIKE A HIPPIE AND NOT SOME FAKE COLORED ONE!!??
WHY HAVE YOU DITCHED ME BRAH!!! LET ME GET AN XBONE TO PLAY THE NEWEST POPAMOLE"

And the Lord said unto BRO "CHILL FAGFGOT PLAY YOUR CLASSIZ DOSBOX SHIT AND YOUR FAGBOX AND BE HAPPY??11" BRO wept.

Then the Lord ruined his laptop, and BRO was unable to play much more than dosbox games. The Lord sparked energy into his
wife's heart, and the BRO was left with almost no time to use the fagbox.

Through the release of Wasteland 2, he suffered in silence.

Through the release of AOD, he suffered in silence.

Through the release of POE, he probably didn't miss much.

BRO then replayed Might and Magic 3-5. BRO fell to his knees, with tears of joy running down his face. He cast his eyes towards heaven. "BRO JESUS FUCK A NEW FAGBOX ILL JUST PLAY THESE OLD
GAMES ON MY MOMS SHIT LAPTOP AND MAYBE SOMEDAY GET A DECENT PC I AM A TOTALL PCTARD NOW!1!"

The clouds split. Lightning crashed and seared the sky. BRO cowered in fear. "BE NOT SUCH A FUCKINGH PUSSY" said Jesus,
"FOR YOU HAVE FORSAKEN THE POPAMOLE CONSOLE FAGS AND HAVE ONLY ROOM IN YOUR HEART FOR THE MASTER RACWE!!!
BRO JUST SELL BACK SOME VACATION TIME AND TELL YOUR WIFE YOULL GETR A GOOD FAMUILY COMPUTER JUST MAKE SURE YOU HAVE
A DECENT GRAPHICS CARD!!!1"

BROS I GOT A NEW LAPTOP I AM HAPPY AS SHIT I NOW HACVE A GIGANTIC BACKLOG OF SHIT I WANT TO PLAY!!! I CAN PLAYU MOST OF THE SHIT I TRIEWD ON HIGHEST SETTINGS THE NEWEST ONE IS METRO 2033

Humppaleka

Cipher
Started a holiday season -long session of WoW with a few friends. Instantly boosted to lvl 90. Dungeons and PvP galore. It's good. Although it's no Burning Crusade anymore.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom