Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Starwars

Arcane
Finished Ori and the Blind Forest which I really enjoyed. Some of the most fun non-RPG gameplay I've experienced in a while I think.

Playing some Renowned Explorers Society also. It's pretty fun and challenging in a "casual" way. Meaning it's a good game for just picking up and playing for a short time. Expeditions are pretty brief. Not the greatest game I ever played but kinda addictive and fun.

Mainly I'm waiting for Underrail's full release and White March part 2 I think.

Naraya

Arcane
Finally moved on with Thief (The Lost City mission). This game can be infuriating but the moment you find a (possible) solution is quite worth it :)

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Dark Souls (first playthrough). Seems I will be spending quite a few hours in Anor Londo, because it is a great place to farm souls, level up and upgrade my stuff.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished DungSiege3+Treasure of the Sun DLC.
What you know, there is option to miss Act3 in the game, before Twitcher2 did it.

You know what really sux?
That "pad required" message... Well, changing control was easy part. But the game have fucked up targeting system. What, you think that pointing
mouse cursor at enemy and click (like in every hack'n'slash) work?
Nope.
Often hit barrels or minions when it comes to (mini)boss battles. Even something basic and menial like this was fucked up by Obsidian masters of the gameplay.

Some boss fights are not balanced for Hardcore difficulty setting (sounds like Myth3 case).
Like master thief. Homing missiles, ton of minions, small area and on top of that - borked targeting so you won't hit the boss when there is more than one enemy (you're supposed to ignore his minions and focus on him). All you do in that fight is rollin-rollin-rollin-rollin-rolling and repeat till you die in that 0.001sec that you need to roll again. No time to strike back whatsoever.

AI is borked. There is enemy with damaging aura? AI don't switch to ranged stance.

Treasure of the Sun DLC is cool but once again - not optimised for Hardcore. There is one miniboss with healing aura. Despite dealing MASSIVE damage his health bar does not move. Oh and he will spawn more skeletons. Focus on them for a second or roll - he get full HP. Bullshit.

For 15h it was decent. Better than previous game but that don't say much.

Last edited:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I just finished the Deponia trilogy. It was pretty good.

While I'm not a huge adventure buff, and I can't be fucked to even try that cart puzzle again in the first game, I had a lot of fun. The game oozes with polish (save for the 3rd game that kept crashing, that might just be the GOG version though), style, and the voice acting was fantastic. I can tell Daedalic put a lot of work on the translation, kudos to them for that. The puzzles weren't too out there, but like the cart puzzle it got a little convoluted and of course- nonsensical. However, the writing was sharp, witty, and even a little tragic.

Especially when Rufus sacrifices himself at the end. I think the game was always leading up to that, considering some of his heinous acts. Which is why I can see how people didn't like Rufus, since he has an odd grasp on reality, where sometimes you can't tell if he's being an asshole or just naive. For me, it was mostly a good enough. It's not like he got away with everything scot free.

The graphics and animations were also impressive. They somehow made a garbage world both depressing and colorful at the same time. I like the contrast between Deponia and Elysium as well. Or really, how cool some Elysians look in contrast to the Deponians. Oh, and the reactions of butt-hurt people when they hear the heroines name is 'Goal'. :lol:

:4/5:/:5/5:

I really like what Daedalic did here, and I can't wait to play the Dark Eye games that I bought around the same time as when I bought Deponia.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Master of Orion.
I was supposed to play MoO2, but reading the manual made me want to play MoO1 instead.
Started as Humans, on Huge map and Impossible difficulty, and as always the Sakkras are my main rivals.
Nearest neighbours were the cute little Mrrrshans, but from out of nowhere my ambassador turned psycho and tried to kill their leader, which led me into a premature, but successful war. The psycho ambassador is courtesy of kyrub's UOP, I suspect, since I got no hits when trying to Google it.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Just burned through Evoland.

Nothing to phone home about as a game, but as a deconstruction of several games and the tropes related to them (Zelda, Final Fantasy and others) it's a goldmine. One of the "must-play" games that any aspiring game developer should play.

I enjoyed myself well enough that I think I'll give Evoland 2 a go.

circ

Arcane
Played through Mark of the Ninja again a few days ago, started ghost walkthrough but got board midway through. Now playing Just Cause 2. I forgot just how undetailed it is, like a lot of openworld games. There are hardly any interiors. But the AI is surprisingly good and different compared to a lot of things, good controls too compared to GTA series (third person ones) and overall fun if repetitive gameplay.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished Lost Planet 3 (thanks to the bro who gifted that game)

I started the game, tapped Esc and other keys to skip movies. They were unskippable so I deleted them.
Next day I was unpleasantly surprised when Steam informed me about update for LP3. That "update" was actually a file check, which restored these removed movie files.

Oh and I should mention that this "file checking" literally torture my HDD. It's the most demanding (for HDD) process I ever experienced. Even antivirus scan+defragmentation+ watching movies in HD simultaneously didn't spin my HDD's plate that hard'n'fast.
This is the thing I hate in Steam and this "update" mumbojumbo. Update few megabytes, then apply and listen how your HDD suffer. Fuck u Gaben.

Did not played linear cinematic game in long, long time so my impression might sounds too positive but whatever. Characters acts cool, I likes two science sociopaths - Kovitz and weathergirl named Roman (despite the name - it's black woman. No diversity here.) not being cliche hackers/science trope a'la Abby from NCIS or else.

Lost Planet 1-2 was action TPP game made by japs that feels like average TPP shooter from PS2/X360 era.
LP3 give more cinematic feelings, like average sci-fi movie. Face animations are noticeably better than average action games (or I just don't play that much popamole garbage?)

It's another example, after Bioshock Infinite and similar, proof that video games are not good for story telling. Especially when combined with bad gameplay.
Gameplay should be smooth. Some old games did that well. This one not. Old game have smoother gameplay because they did not tried hard to design them to least smart players, which lead to awkward control and gameplay in result.

Worst of it - QTE. Dozen. Boss fight are QTE fest in mech and "shoot the weak spot" on foot.
I have no idea why people defend this shit, beside 2-3 games in two decades - nobody did it good.

Control is all out of place. Different key to open, different for pickup, different to operate machines. Sometimes game show what keys to press but turns out - you should press different one. Though that console port will have few functions (because few buttons on pads) for every function but nope.

Besides shooting you need to collect resource (warm energy) and repair borked machinery. Could be cool but all you do is to hold one button :roll:
The relation between main character and his wife sounds boring. Like contest of "who write love story for 10h action game that's bearable with vidyagames cliches".
Playing this game was p.awkward because main character looks like my cousin, who got cucked and deserve his own story in r/relationships on reddit.
Same thing with sociopath dr Kovitz, who looks like old classmate, who have squicky voice and was into nazi stuff. Awkward playthrough, like playing Lula 3D with family or Spec Ops: The Line with kwan soldier watching your playthrough.

Last boss battle would be great (you and him in mechs, punching each others) but potential was wasted by QTE fuckfest :rage:

Funny how you meet final boss right after start of the new game.

Now something else.
RtCW - I finally found patch that make it playable on modern systems (thanks to separate .exe).
Then Doom3+RoE with ductape mod (can see what I shot) and Realistic Weapons so shotgun will be close combat weapon, not melee like in original D3. How ID fucked this up is beyond me.
Despite his age and no proper widescreen - textures looks good. Might test some textures packs but have no urge for it.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Gave up on Evoland 2. Why? I've done everything this game has to offer before, and in better games than this one.

Evoland had a simple premise, a neat gimmick and a tight design. It was meant to demonstrate the evolution of jRPGs over the years, and does a good job of it. It even manages to make it bearable with a little sarcastic wit. The game is easy and short as a result, but there's only so much one can do sometimes, and sometimes less is more.

But clearly the devs didn't get that last part, because Evoland 2, in addition to being a ripoff of Chrono Trigger (with some extra game references thrown in) lacks focus, is overly complex, has slow pacing and generally unenjoyable. After 2 hours of Evoland 2 I felt like I hadn't made any headway in the game, while 2 hours in the prequel got me close to the halfway mark of the game.

Instead of being a journey through jRPG history, it's now a journey through time with various time periods represented by different graphic modes. And except for that, plus snippets of sarcastic wit, Evoland 2 has nothing in common with Evoland 1. It feels like a fan-made game, except plenty of those have come before and been more enjoyable. But if playing a game using the done-to-death jRPG formula isn't bad enough, the constant video game references become a little too much. Evoland 1 kept it simple and within its field, but Evoland 2 goes all over the place with them. Sometimes it's something simple like a "?"-brick that gives money when smashed, or something subtle like how one NPC looks (and dresses) exactly like Elizabeth from Bioshock: Infniite. But what kills the game for me are the constant FORCED video game references, like when one section forces me to play a SHMUP, and another forces me to play Street Fighter, then a Canabalt level followed by a Mega Man-esque bossfight - all these distractions accomplish nothing except distract and confuse the player. Any idea of "homages" or "tributes" are lost as none of these sections are any good.

tormund

Arcane
RtCW - I finally found patch that make it playable on modern systems (thanks to separate .exe).
Knightmare one or iortcw? I am still sticking with Knightmare patch, since guy behind iortcw so far refused to add widescreen options to menu, and with iortcw you can't even force widescreen resolution trough config file, so only remaining option is a console command. And even then HUD is still stretched (while Knightmare's patch offers a perfect widescreen HUD) and weapon models don't adjust properly to FOV changes. Which is a shame since iortcw uses newer and more feature rich render, but author insists on playing a role of faux purist.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Knightmare one or iortcw? I

One of them is 1.5MB and the other was 22MB, I installed the latest, bigger one. And yeah, not being able to change resolution in RtCW without breaking the screen (massive zoom in into upper left corner) sux.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom