Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

PeachPlumage

Cipher
BTW, the goldbox games from GOG run on Linux. I made a mistake of installing one of them on my work pc...

So you now get payed while playing, pretty sweet! :D

Blonsky

Prophet
Rebel Galaxy
Game music is better then the game, it makes the game feel less serious and more immersive then most other space flying games, but unfortunately its still made of repetitive missions and not much diversity between missions.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I'm planning to play Wizardy 6,7 & 8 with one team, without class changing, but what irritates me most is the ninja. As you know, in Wiz 6 & 7 ninja is the uber class frontline fighter. In Wiz 8 it's some shitty star throwing weakling. So, help me codex, should i start Wiz 6 without ninja, or clench the teeth and go through Wiz 8 with the shitty team (ninja + no gadgeteer)?

1. Start with Wiz6
2. Roll until you get Ninja
3????
4. Profit

tindrli

Arcane
i dont know what to play any more... just finished dungeon of the endless and infinite space III

Self-Ejected

Jack

█▓▒░
Patron
Insert Title Here
Neverwinter Nights. I took a break from player modules and decided I would give the OC a go, I don't think I've ever even managed to complete the first chapter (what I played was so banal that I want to forget it already). Big mistake, it was like running into a brick wall with your head first, it's so badly designed I just couldn't stand it for more than a couple of hours. I really tried giving it a chance but there's just nothing good in it that makes it worth playing. NWN2's OC is a masterpiece compared to this mess.

So I've put that playthrough on hold and started Shadows of Undrentide and it's actually okay. Playing as a wizard might have been a mistake because it seems like there's a lot of opportunities to deal with animals but it's like playing a decent player made module, not too shabby for official content. I plan to move onto Hordes of the Underdark with the same character and then try the six premium modules after that. I've already played HotU before so I know it's pretty good for what it is. After that I might return to the OC, I doubt I will get any enjoyment out of it but I'll be damned if I'm going to be defeated by this game. I hate abandoning games before I've finished them.

Last edited:

panzertoter

Arcane
I'm planning to play Wizardy 6,7 & 8 with one team, without class changing, but what irritates me most is the ninja. As you know, in Wiz 6 & 7 ninja is the uber class frontline fighter. In Wiz 8 it's some shitty star throwing weakling. So, help me codex, should i start Wiz 6 without ninja, or clench the teeth and go through Wiz 8 with the shitty team (ninja + no gadgeteer)?

1. Start with Wiz6
2. Roll until you get Ninja
3????
4. Profit

You don't understand. In 6 & 7 ninja is great, but in 8 it's terrible.

ROTK 12 with PUK

150 hours so far, according to my estimation

59c405ae48.jpg

Baron Dupek

Arcane
You don't understand. In 6 & 7 ninja is great, but in 8 it's terrible.

You mean - with all experience and equipment that make them good in Wiz6+7?
Strange.
Now I'm a bit worried because I also wanted to do Wiz6>7>8 marathon but that could be bad, when you made ninja, that made well for hunders of hours in 6+7 and then realized he suxxx in last part of the saga.

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Baldurs Gate Trilogy and Fallout Tales of Two Wastelands.

"Both games" which are highly customizable and where I always have to add, fix or change stuff to make them even better.

I got incredibly spoiled by those two games which resulted in me losing interest to most rpg these days.

pippin

Fallout Tactics, currently at the Springfield mission. I hired the tree man from Fallout 3 XD XD XD

PeachPlumage

Cipher
In-between playing Freedom I am currently watching an LP of Eye of the Beholder series. Finished watching the first now on to Darkmoon.

Ivan

Arcane
Mother 3

Earthbound's sequel is a much more linear experience. It has a greater emphasis on character and, amazingly, introduces you to a world that feels so human. The kinship the townsfolk have for one another is something I've seldom seen achieved in other games. However, the combat and many many dungeons do make parts of the game a slog. Fortunately, the charm, the music, the fantastic ending sequence leave a grand final impression.

Lucas' Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
:negative::4/5:

Some of my favorite tunes:

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS SORTA IN BETRWN SHIT NOW

DARK FORCES IS FUN MIGHT KEEP UP WITH IT

JUST ABAMDONED A VALLEY WITHOUT WIND AND FIGHT NIGHT CHANPION FOR THE FAGBOX

ON MY MAME MACHINE MY NEWEST OBSESSION IS EARTH DEFENSE FORCE ALTGOUH CYVERN IS STILL MY FAVORITE

deuxhero

Arcane
So I got a PS4 for some titles that will be released in English earlyish next year+Bloodborne (it's not going to get cheaper for a while). Not wanting it to be a Bloodborne machine, I bought a few games (all but one multiplat) on the PSN sale.

On Bloodborne:

There's actually a few big problems with it so far. First among them is how dependent upon consumables you are. Blood vials for healing are the most obvious, but there's an entire stats governing how expendable weapons work (Bullets aren't too bad because there's a guy who will always drop 5 pretty near a lamp). This means continually trying against bosses until you figure them out (which is a Souls staple to me) is not possible without LOTS of grinding between. This is really annoying because Estus was a PERFECT idea and From just tossed out everything they learned from it.

The second is that while the fast pace is a nice idea, the 30FPS+microstutter does not work that well with it.

The third is how you have to warp to the "base" area to heal, restock expendibles from inventory, or respawn enemies. This makes the grinding and area progression FAR more annoying than it should.

As for the other games, the only one I've played enough to give a firm opinion on is Yu-Gi-Oh: Legacy of the Duelist.

Legacy of the Duelist's story mode (play all the non-filler non-gimmick duels from the anime) is a nice idea but the original series is, unfortunately, the worst part of it. This is because absolutely nobody had any idea how to actually play the game (especially during Duelist Kingdom because the rules didn't actually exist) so their decks all sucked and the only people who actually had a deck with a basic concept beyond "very specific purpose card that destroys the opponent's strategy, summon signature monster and bring LP to zero" were the opponents. This means most of the duels are hoping you draw the few OK cards in your deck (instead of the dozens of sub 1500 normal monsters) before the opponent can offer too much resistance. Also the Exodia guy in Battle City is impossible to beat the way he's beaten on the show because the AI was never programmed to set extra Exodia pieces instead of keep them in his hand and fighting him is even MORE luck based as your default deck has ZERO actual counters as a result. The tag duels (some of which were actually important) are strangely absent despite the existence of actual rules for these.

Maybe I'm spoiled by emulator replays and their fast-forward functions, but the duels (and the game in general) move a lot slower than they I'd like at parts. The AI is (thankfully) nowhere near as slow and stupid (though it's still not smart) as the DS games or as cheat happy as the PSP ones. Speaking of slow: Booster Packs can only be bought one at a time, yet even hundreds of purchased boosters will fail to produce the cards you need (even if they aren't rares). This is made worse by how the boosters are broad (30 different packs contain almost 7000 total cards) and all completely undocumented in-game (There is no card check list like most card game games have) and there are no lists that are remotely complete online. Some archetypes are, thankfully, largely contained to only a few boosters, which sometimes have semi-workable patterns (one booster has the "female" archetypes like Fortune Lady, Traptrix and Ghostrick for example), but unless your card can be won from a story or challenge duel, good luck finding it.

Overall while a decent game for 13 bucks, really feels like they blew most of the budget on the engine/art asests and stuck some stuff in to make it sellable and it will be reused for a full game (I can't imagine making 7000 cards work and interact properly is cheap). If they'll actually do this remains to be seen (Konami did do it pretty recently and this game isn't even a year old yet, so maybe).

I will say that given the developer was literally just a Canadian shovelware factory this was pretty impressive. The Canadian development also explains a lot of quirks in the story like how "Joey"'s text is designed around Brooklyn speech and how Arkana is treated like a normal friendly challenge instead of done while advancing buzzsaws threaten to cut off the player's legs (also: how a Japanese franchise got a Xbone release).

Last edited:

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Mother 3

Earthbound's sequel is a much more linear experience. It has a greater emphasis on character and, amazingly, introduces you to a world that feels so human. The kinship the townsfolk have for one another is something I've seldom seen achieved in other games. However, the combat and many many dungeons do make parts of the game a slog. Fortunately, the charm, the music, the fantastic ending sequence leave a grand final impression.

Lucas' Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
:negative::4/5:

Some of my favorite tunes:

Good to see people playing this game. It is different enough from Earthbound/Mother 2 to lose a lot of potential fans, but the charm does leave a lasting impression.

circ

Arcane
Syndicate FPS remake something.

What a piece of shit. Blinding bloom. Mouse sensitivity out of whack. Levels on rails. Uninspiring loadouts. Uninspiring gunplay. Uninspiring upgrades. Still a better game than DXHR.

Cadmus

Arcane
I tried Stick of Truth and it's such a dull grindfest that apart from the humor there is no value in the game, imo. Fuck it.
I'm also tired of Hard West, that game has such a high exposition fatigue for me because every scenario is completely new and I need to read all the lore and use a new mechanic. I suppose it should be a plus but it's kinda exhausting. You never really get that settled-down midgame feel where you're comfortably enjoying your power and can relax a bit. It's nothing bad but makes the game better played scenario a day instead of sitting through it all in one go.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
it seems exactly what i was looking for *_* but holy shit the music is soooooooo annoying! isn't there some mod to change it with chaos gate's ost?

Either check game files if they use normal music format (ogg/mp3/wav/else) and replace&rename them with something bearable.
Or tun off the music and use your music player (Foobar2000 with keyboard control do the job for me).

From other WH40k ripoffs I recommended also Alien Assault.
http://www.teardown.se/

unfortunately it's not completely what i was looking for. it lacks some sort of "freeform". it would have been truly perfect into an x-com-like framework.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom