Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

PeachPlumage

Cipher
I am regretting starting Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter after finishing The Severed Hand. Not too sure if I should reload before starting the expansion or just soldier on as I am currently fighting Mebdinga (sp?) in the Burial Isle.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I am regretting starting Icewind Dale: Heart of Winter after finishing The Severed Hand. Not too sure if I should reload before starting the expansion or just soldier on as I am currently fighting Mebdinga (sp?) in the Burial Isle.

I once tried the expansion the moment I was eligible for it. BIG MISTAKE. Those Undead on that burial isle gave my party a really rough time. Second time round I waited until the last possible moment in vanilla IWD before hopping over, which made it tolerable enough for me to play through to the end. Still haven't gotten through Trials of the Luremaster, though.

As for me? I just finished a run of Undertale. Really surprising game, it's gonna be a classic for years to come.

deuxhero

Arcane
Picked up the old Microprose Magic the Gathering game. Currently running a red/black deck focused on buffing fliers and defending with walls

edit: If anyone has a good deck idea with the cards in this game I'd love to hear it, because this deck is really luck dependent to do anything.

Last edited:

PeachPlumage

Cipher
I once tried the expansion the moment I was eligible for it. BIG MISTAKE. Those Undead on that burial isle gave my party a really rough time. Second time round I waited until the last possible moment in vanilla IWD before hopping over, which made it tolerable enough for me to play through to the end. Still haven't gotten through Trials of the Luremaster, though.

The undead definitely gave me a hard time but upgrading my fighters equipment has helped with dealing with most of the enemies. I did defeat Mebdinga and the rest of the wailing virgins apart from one that I foolishly followed with my fighters which happened to uncover more drowned dead and wights and my party was then slaughtered. I will give it another try.

Mustawd

Played and beat Aeon Command. It's basically bundle fodder, but at less than $0.50 for the game it game me plenty of value. It's fun to go through the campaign, but after you go through each faction and upgrade, you've basically seen everything of interest. Multiplayer is nonexistent. And skirmishes against the AI are not fun, as it's the same pattern over and over again for the most part.

Probably try Halfway, as it seems like a decent indie effort to a TB tactical skirmish game.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Can't go wrong with Deus Ex Revision. It's for free if you got it on Steam or check GoG forum to find the way to run it on DRMfree/retail version.
PS. don't mod F:NV too much, only essential stuff like running or bullet time replacing vats.

Two things may be scratched. Dork Messiah of M&M is cool to kick stuff.
Dead Space bland horror jump scare garbage where you cut limb of garbage monsters for 10h (maybe, didn't finished it though).
I do have DX: Revision, actually. And about F:NV - didn;t know abut the bullet time mod - might actually make it playable.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Legend of Heroes TitS SC is nice, more of the same. A pity Estelle likes that dumbass Joshua instead of Kloe.

:lol:

14004.jpg

P.S. From what I've seen so far, Olivier's the only one who gets to be bisexual in this game.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Fucking around in Saints Row 4, and it's too much like Prototype, not that I'm complaining, but eh.

Trying to see if I got a decent open-world game with some rooftop hopping, and all I got is Two worlds 2. Damn.

Neanderthal

Arcane
DoW: Dark Crusade single player, just had the itch. Can't decide whether to just use Bugfix mod and play vanilla, go with old DoWXP, or install last version of Firestorm Over Kronus. Sometimes I think mods are a bit too in love wi tabletop game, and it int really that good a system, i'd prefer a tighter game with some o shit they added, which is impressive as hell I have to admit.

Fuck me but Davian Thule is a right boring douchebag, so fucking earnest and dull. Eliphas, Gorgutz, Taldeer, Alexander all far more bloody interesting. From Gabriel motherfucking Angelos to this, what a come down.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
:lol:
P.S. From what I've seen so far, Olivier's the only one who gets to be bisexual in this game.
I don't know, Estelle seemed pretty flustered at that misunderstanding with Anelace. If only she'd free her mind of preconceptions, that theater scene with Kloe was frustating, both of them pinning of over Joshua. Very realistic mr. scriptwriter. Damn you patriarchy.

No Great Name

Arcane
Just played and beat Battletoads for the NES.

Fucking ridiculous is what it is. All I can say is thank god for save states. I pity those that have beaten this game (or tried to) without them.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished Deus Ex - Revision (so you don't have to)

I feel like there is more datacubes (mostly journals, p. bland about love and waiting for the end of the shift) and objectives... are a bit more detailed?

In Mission V (MJ12 under Unatco base) there is at least one datacube per room, sometimes I see 2 datacubes on desk. I don't remember it from vanilla.

I feels that some of those with codes are more exposed. Like the one in OceanLab for example.
In vanilla it was hidden under dead scuba diver. In Revision it was put on nearby desk.

I already got full ammo when I was wandering around the Mole People.
Got full stacks of assault rifle and buckshots before getting these guns.

They took out the medbot in the first mission and send there NSF mook, who have baton (melee, don't need ammo, nonlethal takedowns). Some people were mad about that because there was no info about that, neither you don't see him carrying it, and they were going for non-lethal but finding it later could make them mad and drop the game. Who knows.

Sniper rifle without scoping work like in modern shooter - you won't hit shit, even when you put the barrel between enemy buttcheeks. So you must suffer with swaying scope again. Then somehow, in Vanderberg mission, it stopped shaking (still on Advanced).
Maybe I missed something? Some Shifter/Biomod/Human Renovation feature?

And cats here are fucking killers. Everytime I meet one of them, he's in the berserk mode, slashing every rat on the map.
There is still some wonky stuff. For example - when I tried to sneak to the NSF commander in Mole People tunnel - there is always one NSF mook, that turn hostile and put me in the middle of the shootout. If you count that as a trap - then it's cool I guess...

Oh, and some augs use no energy (lungs capacity - it actually regenerate energy when JC is in the water, no kidding, strength aug) but default flashlight in F12 - still do (can be upgraded).

There is large crypt added into graveyard map (where you meet with Stanton Dowd) but best part of it - sound and ambient - is ripped from Thief Dark Project. Now Paris catacombs... I swear music here comes from M&M VI from Celeste city. and Arx Fatalis (chest and gates opening sound).

Best redesigned maps? Gas Station and last mission in Dreamland. New design of Hell Kitchen is not too shabby, even better when you're going to send the signal. These news streets looks neat. Some people might think cluttering maps with stuff sux, some might think it remove the feel of emptiness.

Silenced pistol + scope + laser pointer + some range upgrades is OP. Or I'm the only guy in the planet who played DE multiple times and never used it? And putting Rate of Fire upgrade on assault rifle was bad idea (one burst eating 10 bullets in 40/40 mag is bad idea), miss once or twice and you might hear "click!" before you die from lead overdose. Still better than Gray Death.

I feel like aug update canisters are a bit rarer, but on the contrary - you can use aug canisters with same aug to work as upgrade.
Eye slot augs are useless. In vanilla you grabbed the one that increase accuracy. Now you can either take nightvision>infravision>seeking through walls or aug giving you info about target. Yeah, they're that useless. Unbelievable they managed to screw this.

Visuals - combination of New Vision (sharper textures of the map - I like it) and NPCs from HDTP - these sux except NFS mooks.
At the beginning I was (trigger) happy to see that Shifter have melee weapons throw button. With exception of swords.
Massive bonerkiller :decline: You can stack combat knives, so you can give them back to the friends of the fallen. Items drop automatically, but wish there was loot window like in 2027 mod...

They eliminated most tricks (one multitool/lockpick then pause to open, free points from Pistol skill degradation at the New Game) but one remained - quicksave + Forward to pass through laser fence.

They fucked up music. Only good track is in duClaire's mansion. After that I hear some shallow track that replaced Paris Cathedral, one of my favourite tracks. This is happen when you give too much tools for someone without vision and/or skill. They should learn from GameBoy musicians, who can make killing stuff from such limited device.

Not sure if I become better after playing The Nameless Mod - where tools are p.scarce - but possessing 20 tools (multi and
lockpicks) before 4th mission (after 747 hangar) feels strange. Found most of the unique weapons from Shifter mod, couldn't find some of them even with guide (custom LAW and Paul's baton). Jock's Boomstick is ridiculously overpowered and enemies, who get shot in close contact, fly away like in some John Woo movies or what the fuck am I playing...

Seems like Revision mod is same thing like Complete mods for Stalker series - they wanted to make it bearable for modern audience by dumbing it down. Every detail is dumbed down. And one thing - it's so "different" from original Deus Ex and yet it still do screenshots
in .bmp format that are ~5-8 MB big and pitch black :roll: My Saves folder - 3GB (each save take almost 70MB, damn), took 3GB of screenshots (glorious .bmp pitch black shit, need mass convertion) and overall - Deus Ex GotY is 11.7 GB big. Well, fuck me...

Score 3/10 + big fuck off for making this shit with "Steam exclusive" that even Codex fall into this trap.
I played on GOG copy so...

Now give me GMDX.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Completely torn between:
- Finishing Mass Effect 2 and starting Mass Effect 3. I have never played more than half an hour of ME3 and I really want to finish the whole damn thing this time. But spending 100 hours on a ME1 + ME2 marathon is quite tiresome already.
- Divinity: Original Sin Enhanced Edition. I have just put in 5 hours; the voice acting is atrocious and just thinking about that I need to spend another 80+ hours is making me lose the will, even though I liked the original a lot.
- Witcher 3 NG+. I have just finished my THIRD time the Bloody Baron's story and ready to go to Novigrad for the THIRD time...but to be honest, I AM getting a bit tiresome (after all, I have spent 200+ hours on the game already) of it. But I really wish to rekindle the love of the game, especially since I have heard so many good things about Hearts of Stone.

I really don't know which game I should focus on. Rationally speaking, I think finishing Mass Effect 3 first would be the best, because it is completely fresh to me.
Then I should play Original Sin, because it has been 1.5 year since I have played it, therefore there you are, freshness.
Finally, continue Witcher 3, as after finishing both ME3 and DOSEE, I should have taken sufficient break from TW3 and enjoy it once more.

I hate it that I spend more time thinking about which games to play and in which sequence to play, instead of really playing them...

Baron Dupek

Arcane
After exhausting DX:Rev experience I tried few things.

System Shock Infinite aka SySo2 contaminated with biocock infititi ideas turned into shit. First 10 minutes of the game were promising at first. Twist where we find our dead bodies in the final area of SySo2 were neat, but then you start in Med sector, with ghost of Delacroix being tutorial fairy.
"Oh, diese enhergy piestols are good to metal stuff, you should not waste energiy on organic enemies"
"try to shoot in the head for maximum damage" :roll:
And honestly - voice acting was not bad, just the informations itself.
Then you meet zombified crew armed with pipes. Way faster, even on normal, hittting with speed of light. After dozen of respawn and fight, with both ex-crew and wonky melee system (especially wrench going through them) I had enough.

Next was DungSiege3. Dropped it after numerous tries with one of the bosses. Game was more than doable on Hard, but boss fight with no space for mistakes - not so much.
And I still don't understand people saying "you need pad to play DS3". Like, they never changed keyboard layout?

Now I need to make team for Wiz6+7 playthrough.

EDIT also I tried Return to castle Wolfensten but it looks badly, miss some stuff (icons) and I don't feel like stabbing every wall for secrets. There are fan made patches but they do nothing. Changing resolutions? Break the game, and your display. Nothx.
Seriously, I played Quake on the same PC, monitor and similiar resolution and had no issue (technical and estetic).

DoW: Dark Crusade ....last version of Firestorm Over Kronus.

Didn't played Dark Crusade in years. But... FoK turned into Firestorm over Kaurava years ago? That's what I gathered from mod site.

Last edited:

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Rebel Galaxy. Pretty chilly space game, amazing soundtrack. The Firefly feels are definitely there.

hereticclub

Barely Literate
Divine Divinity. I'm about halfway through it and it's fun for what it is. Combat is imbalanced and pretty mindless, but the story is interesting enough.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Next was DungSiege3. Dropped it after numerous tries with one of the bosses. Game was more than doable on Hard, but boss fight with no space for mistakes - not so much.
And I still don't understand people saying "you need pad to play DS3". Like, they never changed keyboard layout?

Control scheme was apparently much worse at launch and they patched in more sensible M&K controls after fan outcry. I wouldn't know because I immediately went with a controller considering game was obviously built for it. You should retry it if you ever get the time. It has a surprising amount of C&C for a hack and slash game and you can tell Obsidian wanted to perhaps make something more of it. Also, did you like Jeyne Kassynder?

PeachPlumage

Cipher
Shelved Heart of Winter in favour of completing more of the base game of Icewind Dale. Currently fighting my way through Lower Dorn's Deep.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Control scheme was apparently much worse at launch and they patched in more sensible M&K controls after fan outcry. I wouldn't know because I immediately went with a controller considering game was obviously built for it. You should retry it if you ever get the time. It has a surprising amount of C&C for a hack and slash game and you can tell Obsidian wanted to perhaps make something more of it. Also, did you like Jeyne Kassynder?

I already started Act2 because that Rajani boss fight was tough, didn't found Jeyne. Next one - Stonebridge and portal to DLC - Treasure of the Sun.
When I finally found the patterns - it was breeze (but I didn't got achievement for beating her without any healing items for some reason).
Which is part of my fault since I used mostly fire form of Anjali (one of the 4 playable characters) while it's way better to go melee with the boss and block for 90% of the time.
Seriously, I didn't know blocking is so OP.
All these magic missiles, kung-fu fight? Blocked by small metal plate bracelet. Making hard fight a breeze. It's so stupid... but not sure if I'm stupid or people behind this.
Reward? Best spear for my character and best weapon in the game. Yeah, in the first act...

Yeah, there is a lot of C&C. But the world itself is not that interesting.
I barely care about that stuff. Obsidian did good job in the wrong setting.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Finally got Pillars of Eternity on cheap wyrmlordian steam pricing. Nothing much to speak of yet, but damned if the 2d art ain't a sight.

L'ennui

Magister
Company of Heroes 2

Not a wehraboo, but God damn dem King Tigers <3

Starting to master the intricacies of the light crossbow in Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. What a great, fun, stupid game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom