Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

L'ennui

Magister
Somebody gifted me the Oberkommando West faction of Company of Heroes 2. I'm playing that and it rocks, though I'm really getting my ass kicked.

Adamaklas

Literate
Playing nwn 2 all nighters with 3 friends , 2 of them new to dnd. I won't comment on nwn2 , but i love the way i am ruining my nights !

Ivan

Arcane
The Journey Down Chapter 2 is a fantastic sequel to the brief, but still very solid, first chapter. The catchy Jazz soundtrack is as soothing as before, the rooms are beautiful with detail, a rainy afro-noir city and a blooming beachside are particular treats. While I’ve always enjoyed the charm of the characters, what really impresses me about this series is the consistency of its puzzles. Seldom do adventure games flow so smoothly as they do here, save for that blasted final puzzle that left me scratching my head. Anyway, I wholeheartedly recommend that you check out this series. I place it in the empyrean of its genre and urge you to give it a try!

Skygoblin, the devs, are currently Kickstarting the third and final chapter in the series. Give them a look, you may even snag the 2 released titles at a low price. Thanks for reading and happy playing.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/983397390/the-journey-down

some tunes to whet your appetite:

screens:
30DF09C398D4E25F146301FD132178B3F1DD8E48

14E2B0E9BB7E9045A8B696004A6ED3BA6C865058

1AF51D2321F4677CEC4F64856BCA67FA348FB29B
:5/5:

No Great Name

Arcane
Just finished playing Diablo for the first time. My character was a sorcerer and I was an unstoppable monster with an inventory filled with full mana restore potions by the time I got to the last couple of floors. Needless to say, I had a blast playing it.

Now I've started up Advance Wars for the GBA on an emulator.

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl, which is my first experience with any of these games. Apparently I got all of them on GOG at some point for the price of one. Feels different, but I'm digging it. The game feels more threatening than Fallout (Bethesda's anyway) 'cause radiation poisoning in this game will actually fuck you the fuck up. I'm not sure why I'd ever use the artifacts, but I'm still very early on. I'm only in the second map after a transition area. I'm not going out of my way to take on many of the side quests, but then again, most of those seem to be 'There's a hidden stash around here! Come and die trying to find it!'

I enjoy that most of the spawning NPCs want to kill each other all the time.

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
The Broken Triad FM for Thief is amaze-balls!

Sequel to already great Ominous Bequest, it features museum heists, possession, murder, demons and an ancient Egyptian-like civilization on an island in a storm of trapped souls. The backstory revealed through the letters and journals along the way is top notch, really

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Age of Decadence - Several different playthroughs, currently trying a crossbow + alchemy focused character going drifter - assassin - imperial guard. It's fun to backstab ;,,;

Divinity Original sin: EE - Just started playing, my girlfriend tried it out and got hooked so it truly is a relationship simulator. Swen is pimp.

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
The Broken Triad FM for Thief is amaze-balls!

Sequel to already great Ominous Bequest, it features museum heists, possession, murder, demons and an ancient Egyptian-like civilization on an island in a storm of trapped souls. The backstory revealed through the letters and journals along the way is top notch, really

Later in the second mission I was getting a bug. Some ghost was supposed to help me cross a chasm by creating a phantom bridge, but it wasn't working. I didn't find anything on ttlg by searching about this specific mission. Luckily enough, I tried out setting compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3. Not only did it work, but now I also got subtitles to what the ghost was saying

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Later in the second mission I was getting a bug. Some ghost was supposed to help me cross a chasm by creating a phantom bridge, but it wasn't working. I didn't find anything on ttlg by searching about this specific mission. Luckily enough, I tried out setting compatibility mode to Windows XP SP3. Not only did it work, but now I also got subtitles to what the ghost was saying

Odd. Try posting this over in our Thief 2 Fan Mission thread.

Venser

Erudite
Started playing Penumbra Overture since it was Halloween and so far I'm really liking it, especially the story of a guy who survived over 8 months trapped in a mine by only eating spiders

Jcxn0aN.jpg

OUqtrSa.jpg

HdWWckD.jpg

of0xzgc.jpg

xxPxusy.jpg

pu8Rlf1.jpg

1E8GA4y.jpg

So I'm expecting to meet this guy down the road
lis4.jpg

Last edited:

Naraya

Arcane
I am slowly going through my huge backlog (I STILL haven't started PS:T) and I'm currently playing Clive Barker's Undying.

I have played this game way back when it was released but I was too young to appreciate it and dumped it pretty early. I have bought it recently on GOG (of course I played a pirated version before as there was no way to buy many games legally in Poland) and I'm having a blast. The game works flawlessly in wide screen setup (just needs a small patch to fix the diary entries going off screen) and is packed with atmosphere.

The only issue (or feature, depends how one looks at it) I noticed is the gameplay is quite railroad-y, i.e. there is always literally only one path to follow in order to progress (i.e. one open door, one corridor etc.).

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Playing several games:
Tomb Raider 2 - good fun, though a big chunk of it so far is in towns/facilities not tombs
TDR2000 - ive said it before, best of the series. At the final level now
Race 07 - still one of my favorite sims, along with GT Legends.
NFS Shift overhaul mod - pretty good with a g27 wheel, looks great and great immersion from inside the cockpit
GRID 2 - not as good as Grid 1, but looks and performs great, fun arcade racer
The Saboteur - poor visuals/performance ratio, but really like the gameplay and locale.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Talked to the Orion Trail game on Kickstarter, and they gave me my STEAM keys (My Email address had changed), and they were cool about. So far it is a fun, random dice rolling game (though you get bonuses for your "rolls" depending on your skill levels). Like an event will happen, and you can choose either Science or Combat or Diplomacy etc... and then just use which ever skill is highest. That just increases your odds of having a favorable out come, slightly. Made it through the first galaxy with only 3 crew members alive heh. I am no Captain Picard.

Really love the pixilated art too (and animations).

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Red Faction
Another shame on my list. My second game for LAN (after HL1) party when nobody was interested in obvious titles.
But this time it was single player. Took few hours.
I dropped it previously because I wanted to pass stealth part without fire but failed.
Now picked up when my care-o-meter is lowered (and stopped being perfectionist), started liking to break the games -
it's more than enjoyable.
I must admit that it didn't get old.
Pacing is good (intense moments with calm walking underground), variety is good (once in submarine, then other vehicles etc).

And then in second half - mutants. They sucked in Far Cry, Crysis and Red Faction Armageddon so why bother.
I really liked the music, done from similar tools like Unreal 1 Engine games.

Other thing - nobody threat you like a hero here. Even when 98% of miners are dead and die like flies even before butchering mercenaries come - leaders and
members still treat you like a janitor. Maybe that's how it feel to play Space Quest games?
I liked stealth part where bureaucrats were gossiping about "miners strike" when in reality there was full rebel down below.

Ending battle was ok, but the last disarming was :decline: Just fail enough to get easy combination. My last one was UDLL -> LLRRDDULL

Next on the list - Return to Castle Wolfenstein.
But even with fan made patch - it have borked gamma, then it screwed up settings in my monitor. Changing resolution increase the main menu but then - don't fit into screen.
Seems like I need to play in default 640x480. On 40' monitor. Oh well.

Deleted member 7219

Finished Life is Strange. Banal, shit, boring.

Back to playing The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky (First Chapter), I really like it, but I'll be jumping straight into the best RPG ever, Fallout 4, when it gets unlocked on Monday/Tuesday.

age of decandence - i spent more time reloading than playing.
anno 2205 - it sucks
wasteland 2 - meh
some random stuff - all crap

all i can do is go back to warframe. still warframe. nothing else other than warframe. since august. help.

Last edited:

tindrli

Arcane
Wasteland 2--- just passed railroad camp and lost a will to play it.. again..
Star Ruler 2 learning it
Convoy great game
Rebuild 3 bored after third city
the curious expedition great game
Infinite space III 3d map is a crap but i still play it

DramaticPopcorn

Trying to enjoy gaming but I'm playing Vermintide so I really can't

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Kingdom is indie shit in pure form. My personal 'favorite' is the dozens of archers hanging around 24/7 in utterly useless inner towers, or for that matter the other half of the army on the bridge after you reach it.

FF XII International Zodiac job edition seems ok for a FF. Obviously the obligatory shonen blonde protagonist is annoying and his waifus crushes and attire and furry cringe, especially on a game with actual adult party members.
But the ability unlock map per class is cool (it's cool too if you say 'screw balance' and unlock the cheat to change classes, because it allows crazy optimization from day one because the abilities are shared but located elsewhere in the maps).
Gambits are surprising in a console game, almost like a mini-bg script. I wish it had a little more 'memory', like for example it will skip status effect inflicting spells if they're already applied, but it will steal forever of a enemy with nothing.
Also the game has a unbuilt selectable frameskip, which makes it painless even on shit computers (and you move fast at will, which is a huge boon).

Legend of Heroes TitS SC is nice, more of the same. A pity Estelle likes that dumbass Joshua instead of Kloe, but predictable story is predictable. Even if it's not-actually-incest-that-everyone-seem-ok-with.

Last edited:

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Up to the last mission in Valkyria Chronicles.. what should I play next, one of the modern classics, ie, Pillars, Wasteland 2 or Original Sin ? Or some semi-old games I never finished, like FO:NV, DX:HR or Dead Space,

Or the true classics, like Deus Ex or Dark Messiah of M&M..

Or a new release like Trails in the Sky..

tindrli

Arcane
Up to the last mission in Valkyria Chronicles.. what should I play next, one of the modern classics, ie, Pillars, Wasteland 2 or Original Sin ? Or some semi-old games I never finished, like FO:NV, DX:HR or Dead Space,

Or a new release like Trails in the Sky..

i would go with this

Deus Ex or Dark Messiah of M&M..

Baron Dupek

Arcane

Can't go wrong with Deus Ex Revision. It's for free if you got it on Steam or check GoG forum to find the way to run it on DRMfree/retail version.
PS. don't mod F:NV too much, only essential stuff like running or bullet time replacing vats.

Two things may be scratched. Dork Messiah of M&M is cool to kick stuff.
Dead Space bland horror jump scare garbage where you cut limb of garbage monsters for 10h (maybe, didn't finished it though).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom