Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Say things about Blood Omen pls
Great atmosphere. Voice acting, music and graphics combined in this game make the whole thing so damn memorable. I don't know if I should compare it to the Zelda games or not.
Best spells ever: Inspire Hate, Blood Gout, Control Mind, Blood Shower, Spirit Death, Spirit Wrack. The artefacts were even nastier.

All I know is that people who haven't played this are missing out.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Finished Strife on Veteran. I don't know if I'm just poor at navigation, but there are some levels that feel really obtuse. Especially, one the last few levels (that you'll revisit) where you can't tell what the switch you're pressing does to which part of the level. I spent more time on that map just running back and forth to find my way to the exit. I also got pretty annoyed about the maze-like sewers and mine tunnels in this game but I think that's the aim of those kinds of places.

I think this game could really use a remake, not because it sucks, but I think improving the stealth and interactive elements could make this game amazing. Shooting is great, Levels are big and "realistic" looking and the whole premise and world design is really appealing.

Strife is one of the few old shooters that I can't play today; "too primitive" is my comment on my play list.
But I'd love to see a remake of it.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Finished today Might&Magic: World of Xeen. Boy, that was a ride... for treasures and adventures. Well, not much treasures when training eat all your gold.
No idea which was the highest level in my team because they were so overleveled and flatout broken (when you start the trainings) it's not even funny. Sure I could sleep for few days but went "nah" way.
Oh, and average age was...26? 28? People shouldn't be worried about this thing, really.
Some things didn't played well. Like sarcophagus in Norther Sphinx can't be opened despite 200 Str (based on the cluebook - you need 100 Str to open them).
iJJIJxaxrpyig.jpg

Other highscores
CoX
i57ky0h9BL4yc.jpg

DorX
iU41CaYc8jKnq.jpg

Interesting...your MM4 score is slightly higher than mine, but the MM5 and World of Xeen ones are quite a bit lower. I got a final score of 1861117859. I didn't do at least one of the optional dungeons, but I tried to complete the game in as little in game time as possible. I love that the MM and HoMM game rewards you for being efficient.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Does it have cinematics? Because from what I remember that old abandonware version didn't and you had to make a separate download or something. Could be wrong, though.
Ninjerk If you need a fix for the cinematics, I can send one to you. I played the game a year ago and managed to get a fully working version.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
IIRC the abandonware version didn't have cinematics because transitioning between them is known to fuck everything up, which is caused by modern computards being too fast for the game. Last time I played it (4 or so years ago iirc), I needed a 'cpugrab' utility to add artificial memory load to the system to make it work properly.

It was certainly a bizarre way to run things, but definitely not as weird-ass as needing to rename 'sof.exe' in Soldier of Fortune to 'mohaa.exe' for it to start.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Is there any reason to play the pc version of blood omen over the PlayStation version?
Last i heard the loading times were terrible on the psx version but wouldn't it be easier to emulate it instead of dealing with pc issues?

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Idk how it is nowadays, but the cinematics crashing the game was the only problem back when I played it, everything else worked fine. So I dunno if you can really talk about 'dealing with PC issues' like that.

dunno lah

Arcane
The only issue I have with my Blood Omen is the game speed being too fast in menus. For example in the inventory screen, the elements spin really fast.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Is there any reason to play the pc version of blood omen over the PlayStation version?
Last i heard the loading times were terrible on the psx version but wouldn't it be easier to emulate it instead of dealing with pc issues?
I fired up the PC version right now just to check it out, and with the cinematics fix, it works right out of the box without any issues.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Just tested the game on windows 7 and this helped fix most of the issues (except the crazy speed up in inventory):
I'm on Windows 7 and I awoke to the pain of a new existence, in a dank womb of darkness and decay just five minutes ago. It's pretty simple:
  1. get a CD image (TPB's one will do)
  2. download installer (info)
  3. download patch (info, look for the bink section)
  4. install the game using the installer from 2
  5. apply patch
In my case I also had to disable the dedicated graphics card.
Kudos to the unofficial patches for pc games thread for the links.

spekkio

Arcane
Tested both versions out of curiosity.

1) PC version (clean CD image), Win7 x64

- it can be installed via vanilla installer, just put the exe into Win95 compatibility mode,
- vanilla game will crash during first FMV (lol, no DirectDraw),
- apply CubanRaul's patch and you're good to go,
- movies work fine, you don't have to convert them do .bik format,
- game works without the CPU-slowing utilities (previously, for example when using the WinXP fix from 2002, it wasn't possible to proceed past the first line of bartender-kain dialogue - game was working too fast),
- the only problem is with menus - animated elements spin too fast (as dunno lah mentioned),
- the game also lacks V-Sync, so it's a little bit jerky, esp. when using the "far" camera (see below). V-Sync can be enabled via Nvidia control panel, seems to work fine.
- IMO there's still something wrong with game's speed. For example the initial enemies (the ones who kill you) are so slow, that you can slaughter 5-6 of them easily (kain swings faster than them). In PSX version they're much faster. Don't remember it being the case in the past (I've completed the PC version twice on Win95-98). :?
- PC version has 4 different screen modes (F12 to change):
a) scanlined, adjustable camera, afair it's scaled 320x240

DW41Fgh.jpg

Y5biyeq.jpg

IMO kinda meh, since it doesn't look that good, esp. on modern display

b) unfiltered, adjustable camera, afair it's scaled 320x240

BUIg9yU.jpg

aE2tuTs.jpg

IMO teh best, as long as you don't mind blocky graphics

c) filtered, hi-res, only the "far" camera :( , afair it's 640x480, exclusive to the PC version

J4eSHjI.jpg

Meh, since you can't zoom in, plus it's kinda choppy...

d) filtered, low-res, adjustable camera, but only in a small 320x240 area in the middle of the screen (meh)

2) PSX NTSC-U version, using Retroarch

- launch and play,
- it's just basic 320x240 image, which can be filtered / shadered whatever you want. Here with simple bilinear filtering:

nNr0IzW.jpg

Klf6sVg.jpg

- this version is IMO more fluent than the PC one: the camera moves better (following kain), animations look smoother, etc. But maybe it's just me.
- BUT! It has the most horrible loading times, mentioned earlier. Everytime you access menus, the game will take 3-5 seconds to load a screen:

NFMUA7t.jpg

Can be dealth with via the turbo button (set to right analog in my case), but it's sure irritating.

PROTIP: use whatever version you want.

Last edited:

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Currently playing Serious Sam 3 in coop with the missus. We play until we finish a bottle of wine and we're having a blast so far :D

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Going through a ps3 phase since I discovered I could buy digital games on eBay for peanuts.

So I'm playing pro Evo soccer 2015, destiny and sleeping dogs

Ovplain

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex
I am currently also installing 'ASS BROTOCOLZ!' After this positive experience with New Vegas I'm thinking that one might be good too. Fingers crossed.:S

Couldn't be assed to fire up ASS BROTOCOLZ, but I did reinstall Dead State, played a couple hours of hardcore mode and so far so good! Should keep me entertained 'til SR:HK at least.

DramaticPopcorn

Playing Mark of Chaos: Battle March. Finished Orks& Night Elf campaing, currently, playing the Empire campaing.
Is p. good. Although too easy sometimes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom