Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Atchodas

Augur
Divinity Original Sin , playing it for 2nd time , just before the EE comes out so i will play it for 3rd time then .
Combat is totally worth it

baturinsky

Arcane
XCOM:Long War. It's hard, even on Normal and very different to vanilla. Most notably, covers are stronger, so even single Sectoid can easily survive your whole six-pack team unloading at him. So, now you have to actively use terrain and class skills to kill things by flanking, overwatching, luring them in, etc.

Blonsky

Prophet
Might and Magic: Heroes 6
Finally decided to try it and compared to other HoMM games its a sequel that has less resources, less factions, less magic and less of everything else other HoMM games had.
I dont think i will finish the campaign, maybe if i leave it for a couple months i get the will for it back.

Deflowerer

Arcane
Fallout 2, for the first time. Only in the beginning (in da Den), but the most exciting moment so far has been the character creation screen. The tutorial was fucking stupid and the combat is shit, the latter which wasn't that great even in the first game, but I am hoping it will pick up at some point.

There seems to be something seriously missing in comparison to F1, which I can't articulate properly yet, but the world just feels so inconsequential (not in terms of mechanics, but the tone) and lulzy.

Ninjerk

Arcane
Fallout 2, for the first time. Only in the beginning (in da Den), but the most exciting moment so far has been the character creation screen. The tutorial was fucking stupid and the combat is shit, the latter which wasn't that great even in the first game, but I am hoping it will pick up at some point.

There seems to be something seriously missing in comparison to F1, which I can't articulate properly yet, but the world just feels so inconsequential (not in terms of mechanics, but the tone) and lulzy.

But the references are liek so gud! :happytrollboy:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy

But the references are liek so gud!

You have to take into account that Fallout 2 was cobbled together in roughly a year's time, cramming all those (pop) culture references in is a textbook example of lazy writing.

Fun fact of the day: Fallout 2 was the game with the highest number of identified pop culture references for over 13 years - or until Dungeons of Dredmor was released.

Vikter

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I just got both Crusader Kings II and Fallout: New Vegas on a Steam sale, plus TxK on Vita.
Since I already played NV, I'm just breezing and taking my time admiring the world. Crusader Kings I still don't understand. TxK is amazing, although I would love to play the PC version in VR now.

Perkel

Arcane
Dwarf Fortress and Path of Exile...

fuck my life hours just fly like nothing with those two.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
mass_effect_liara1_1195682595.jpg

:love:

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
But...

We're in love!...

(It's my first playthrough (I tried before but always quit at the start), don't hate!)

Last edited:

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
Am at last mission for Thief Gold. Excellent first 2/3 of the game, with this last part being annoying and tedious. I hate all these spiders, demons, pot-monsters and whatever. But by far the mission I despised the most was the "Undercover" one. What a load of bull. I still don't understand why the alarm was sounded. I wasn't doing anything suspicious. I checked the scrolls with what is permitted and what is not. I spent the next hour reading walkthroughs and bunny-hopping around the building with a trail of Hammerite guards on my trail. The prayer didn't work the first time for some reason. I had to look even further away from the stone in order to make it work. The entire set of missions you go on after The Eye tells you what to do feel railroad-y and lacking. Favourite mission: Constantine's mansion. Discovering those weird rooms was quite the experience. And the one in "outer space". Did a lot more killing in this game than both TMA and DD combined. Maybe because there were too many damned monsters and spiders that I felt enraged and pissed off. Anyway, can't wait to finish this last mission and get it over with already.

Next: replay TMA / DoW2 campaign playthrough

Humppaleka

Cipher
But by far the mission I despised the most was the "Undercover" one. What a load of bull. I still don't understand why the alarm was sounded. I wasn't doing anything suspicious. I checked the scrolls with what is permitted and what is not. I spent the next hour reading walkthroughs and bunny-hopping around the building with a trail of Hammerite guards on my trail. The prayer didn't work the first time for some reason. I had to look even further away from the stone in order to make it work... Did a lot more killing in this game than both TMA and DD combined.
icon_scratch.gif

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Am at last mission for Thief Gold. Excellent first 2/3 of the game, with this last part being annoying and tedious. I hate all these spiders, demons, pot-monsters and whatever. But by far the mission I despised the most was the "Undercover" one. What a load of bull. I still don't understand why the alarm was sounded. I wasn't doing anything suspicious. I checked the scrolls with what is permitted and what is not. I spent the next hour reading walkthroughs and bunny-hopping around the building with a trail of Hammerite guards on my trail. The prayer didn't work the first time for some reason. I had to look even further away from the stone in order to make it work. The entire set of missions you go on after The Eye tells you what to do feel railroad-y and lacking. Favourite mission: Constantine's mansion. Discovering those weird rooms was quite the experience. And the one in "outer space". Did a lot more killing in this game than both TMA and DD combined. Maybe because there were too many damned monsters and spiders that I felt enraged and pissed off. Anyway, can't wait to finish this last mission and get it over with already.

My guess is that you stole a piece of loot that's visible to patrolling Hammerites, most likely those golden urns from the graves. They notice those gone, they run to the nearest alarm button.

Yes, guards can be made to be that picky.

No, it's very rarely used in Thief, even in the Fan Missions.

For an optimum approach, try to catch Hammerites alone and knock them out, then quickly stash the body somewhere where it can't be found. Hammerites don't notice if their brothers are missing.

Now, as for the final mission - it's pretty straightforward and shouldn't take long. Use your stealth to avoid the critters and keep moving onwards - which means down, then down a dangerous slope, then up, then up a tree, then across, and you should finally see a portal. SAVE your game there, as you only have two things left to do once you're there, but you can screw those things up really easily.

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
I remember the alarm starting when I was in one of the side rooms, the one that oversees the graves. But there wasn't anyone by the entrance that could've seen me go inside. Anyway, it was just jarring seeing a mission that plays so differently from the others. Finished the game now. That last level was very easy. One of the easiest I've ever played O_o

I'd try some of the FMs, but I'm also looking for something with an engrossing story. Maybe something with multiple parts. I've read through the thread but I couldn't find anything described as such.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
"Engrossing stories"...you're kinda out of luck there. The ones that have decent stories are far too often on the fan-fiction level of writing (hello Calandra) or are unfinished (too many to mention) but either Dracula or the Bathory FMs might be worth a look in that regard. Also "Keeper of the Prophecies" is a big FM package with a tragic backstory behind it, that might be worth a look.

flyingjohn

Arcane
After hearing so much praise for okami, i decided to try to play it to see what the fuss is about.After playing for about 5 hours i just couldn't continue,this game makes dragon age 2 look interesting.
1)The story and dialog are too slow and uninteresting ,the gibberish instead of voices gets old fast and is annoying. Usually i am sucker for Japanese mythology but this doesn't seem to use any mythology elements in a interesting way and seems more like generic fantasy game.
2)The brush is a major disappointment,you would think that having the ability to creates stuff from thin air would be interesting ,but most of the stuff you can draw is just generic fire/wind/thunder bullshit and the occasional weird vine and a bomb.I am not expecting revolutionary super game but at least add effort to the brush techniques .
It would be cool if you could draw animals of ink to fight for you or using ink to interact with the game world in some way.They could have at least tried to copy dark cloud game building elements with added ink.
3)Side content is mind numbingly boring .Do you like feeding animals,drawing circles and other bullshit for the millionth time ,well you will enjoy okami then.
There were few actual side quests and most of them were qtes or fishing.I mean at least other games actually have side mission ,this feels worse then mmropgs.
4) leveling up is useless thanks to the game being piss easy.Why would anybody level up money or pouch is beyond me,and whats the point of getting health since you have a million healing items at your disposal.
5)Combat is just button mashing and the brush is matrix mode for added easiness .Maybe later in the game you actually get good moves or enemies get tougher but i doubt it.
6)Issun wont shut the fuck up,and there is no way to disable him.
7)This game gets called a zelda clone but at least zeldas had semi good dungeons.The puzzles and layouts are pathetic.
Maybe the game changes later completely but if the first 5 hours are this boring i think it will only get worse.
Oh and the game does look pretty ,i guess that is something positive.

Last edited:

Humppaleka

Cipher
I remember the alarm starting when I was in one of the side rooms, the one that oversees the graves. But there wasn't anyone by the entrance that could've seen me go inside. Anyway, it was just jarring seeing a mission that plays so differently from the others. Finished the game now. That last level was very easy. One of the easiest I've ever played O_o

I'd try some of the FMs, but I'm also looking for something with an engrossing story. Maybe something with multiple parts. I've read through the thread but I couldn't find anything described as such.
Many of the side rooms are off-limits to novices, which is clearly indicated by the red inverted hammer. If they see you in one of those rooms the alarm sounds.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Well, in the newfag's defence, I remember getting some pretty random alarms and hostilities in that mission too.

Alfons

Prophet
I've been putting some time into Underrail, but I'm starting to get burnt out again. Past a certain level all encounters get solved exactly the same way, and character progression doesn't seem important. Past that point, I simply lose interest.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom