Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

PeachPlumage

Cipher
Currently playing through Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal.

Sodafish

Arcane
Wolfenstein: New Popamole

Holy shit, wtf is wrong with these textures? Playing on highest settings, and the textures look shittier than 2004 tech in many instances. 40-odd gig for this shit? :killitwithfire:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
They scale to your (GPU) level.
Maybe do some forced settings (you got PC so do something, that's why PC are best) via INI?
Still better than RAGE autosetting that waste textures all over the screen on ATI cards, it was like Prosper's first attempts in texturing,

Sodafish

Arcane
I have a GTX 970, i7 and 16 GB ram, and the settings are on ultra high :M

Not that it really matters either way. Game is total shit.

Trodat

Arcane
Patron
Just started my first ever play through of Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition. (I did play Demon's Souls on PS3 when it wasn't even popular, or released outside of Asia)

Don't consider my time wasted. :obviously:

I finally played Postal 2. I got to the shop to get milk and set everyone on fire, but the shopkeeper was invincible and eventually killed me after I spent several minutes shooting him and hitting him with a shovel. Popamole stuff men

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I started X-COM Apocalypse for the first time.

Is it just me or is this game kind of

you know

retarded?

eklektyk

Erudite

you know

retarded?
comparing to first two or to last one ???
i hope you know that after apo it all went to shitters and after such marvels as interceptor and enforcer we got fucking retarded reboot that had more bugs and sillines that i dot care ... i hope to gather much potato and bbuy xenonauts finaly as it is The only game after first ones that comes close ...

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture

you know

retarded?
give it some time. the aliens, the "bubbly" art, etc, is hard to get used to

until you learn you can destroy buildings completely. raid gangs and cults for money. destroy entire economies - and have it influence the prices of your weapons/vehicles/etc.

deceptively lame game that turns out to be extremely complex and intricate.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished Aquanox. Should do this years ago, cause it didn't aged well. The underwater lighting was neat decade ago but now, with no fauna and some flora? I know it's supposed to be postapocalyptic scenario but come on.
AI is borked. They constantly fall on each others like atoms. But their aim is top notch, no matter which difficulty setting. Hide behind the mountain, fly out from the other side and get hit from the same squid miles away, even when you put only inch of your ship out.
Hitboxes are borked, especially when you shoot with heavy and slow torpedo. They either swim through the target or hit for 0 damage. 1.2k credits went into the toilet.:decline:
And it's too scripted. Did massive fire on the target, still swimming with 0hp because that ship was used to cuscene. Really.:decline: Guns... you get some average hitscan one, then mess with slow projectile shit, then get some nice hitscans in last 3 missions. Meh.
I'm sure @ Spekkio will appreaciate news that Aquanox3 Deep Descent is coming
:2/5:

Glad this shit is behind me. I was stubborn enough to finish this abandoned title.
Still no release of Deus Ex Revision and HardLife addon for 762mm....whatever.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
give it some time.

Yeah, I didn't intend to drop it right out, it has plenty of cool stuff in it. I laughed when an alien probe got shot down by a police hovercar. Or when I could invade a loony cultist HQ. Or when I could recruit a psi-null android. Or when one of my hovercraft blew up a cultist civilian car, effectively crashing a highway - now that one made me r00fle.

One thing I really don't like so far is how ridonk HP-bloated those green vagina dentatas seem. I guess I need better guns because it's like trying to shoot mutons with normal guns or something, but ffs, mutons appeared much later than the 2nd ground mission.

was TFTD any good? I've only ever played the original/openxcom but the upcoming TFTD support kinda has me interested.

TFTD is coolio, it just has a completely b0rked difficulty curve. It starts nail-bitingly frustrating, but eventually gets easy as hell, much easier than late-game EU. Alien bases also kind of suck, it has some research bugs that can lead you into dead-ends that can be salvaged only via hex editing the game files and it also kind of drags when you hit the late game. But overall it's a good UFO game. Also, it has drills @_@

baturinsky

Arcane
Path of Exile. I tried it first long time ago, and have put it down because filed of view seemed too small. And I still think it is kind of true, but it's not a big problem most of time. Now my big problem is that item system is very confusing. Hard to figure what to keep, what to sell, what and how to mod.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Finished Aquanox. Should do this years ago, cause it didn't aged well. The underwater lighting was neat decade ago but now, with no fauna and some flora? I know it's supposed to be postapocalyptic scenario but come on.
AI is borked. They constantly fall on each others like atoms. But their aim is top notch, no matter which difficulty setting. Hide behind the mountain, fly out from the other side and get hit from the same squid miles away, even when you put only inch of your ship out.
Hitboxes are borked, especially when you shoot with heavy and slow torpedo. They either swim through the target or hit for 0 damage. 1.2k credits went into the toilet.:decline:
And it's too scripted. Did massive fire on the target, still swimming with 0hp because that ship was used to cuscene. Really.:decline: Guns... you get some average hitscan one, then mess with slow projectile shit, then get some nice hitscans in last 3 missions. Meh.
:2/5:

Glad this shit is behind me. I was stubborn enough to finish this abandoned title.
Still no release of Deus Ex Revision and HardLife addon for 762mm....whatever.
Your mistake was playing a 2000 tech demo disguised as a game, in 2015. Back then it would've been fine because it at least looked amazing, but now its got neither visuals nor the gameplay going for it. Never understand why people would waste hours playing a game they obviously dislike, let alone some irrelevant tech demo from fifteen years ago.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
If you think I'm one of these people wasting hundreds or 1000 hours on game to call it shit - it was only 6h long game.
Game was considered good, but these journalists were suspicious cause not even console stuff from PS2/Xbawx were that bland in terms of gameplay.

PeachPlumage

Cipher
Still Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal in short bursts. At this rate I will probably finish the expansion at the end of the year.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Yeah, I didn't intend to drop it right out, it has plenty of cool stuff in it. I laughed when an alien probe got shot down by a police hovercar. Or when I could invade a loony cultist HQ. Or when I could recruit a psi-null android. Or when one of my hovercraft blew up a cultist civilian car, effectively crashing a highway - now that one made me r00fle.

One thing I really don't like so far is how ridonk HP-bloated those green vagina dentatas seem. I guess I need better guns because it's like trying to shoot mutons with normal guns or something, but ffs, mutons appeared much later than the 2nd ground mission.

There's a reason why they're HP bloats. Let's just say that you have bigger problems running around than those things.

pippin

The first F.E.A.R. and it's amazing. Probably the last modern shooter done right? It's linear, but you still have room to wander, it has cover, but it's not sticky and you still have to move everywhere if you don't want enemies to flank you, and for fuck's sake, this game is like 10 years old and it looks amazing. It's somewhat spooky, but not really scary (if that makes sense), however the quality of the models and especially the lights and shadows create the perfect atmosphere. Why didn't I played this before?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah other than the silly attempt at horror, the gunplay/combat feels really good.

Zdzisiu

Arcane
Path of Exile. I tried it first long time ago, and have put it down because filed of view seemed too small. And I still think it is kind of true, but it's not a big problem most of time. Now my big problem is that item system is very confusing. Hard to figure what to keep, what to sell, what and how to mod.
So you will be glad to hear that the field of view gets a slight increase with the Awakening expansion that will come in a month.

As for what to pick up, you can take a look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFdb10wE_NA Its slightly out of date but covers most of the basics. Or you can wait for the Awakening and the introduction of loot filters, then you can download a filter and only pick the items that will be highlightened.

spekkio

Arcane
Looks like some AIDS-infected shit. What's with this godawful UI? All it needs is facebook integration somewhere, so you can chat with your friends while exploring the grimdark depths of Aqua...

:rpgcodex:

The only good game in this series was Archimedean Dynasty, made by Massive with the help of Blue Byte. Both sequels made by Massive alone were shit.

And BTW, when was the last time somebody did a Wing Commander clone properly? :roll:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished Wolfenstein (2009) thanks to CD- Action* that delivered when Gaben didn't. Some impression from .txt filled while playing:

What baffle me is putting collectables in games AND using drover at the same time ("Blaskovitz, you must find the cristal that nazis stole" x10 in a minute)
It's amusing that enemies use cover system while we don't, can't even use Q/E to lean left/right and just run at them.
Voice of the nazis remind me the troopers in Just Cause 2. They use both english and german, but rarely their latest. And recharging sound is same as spawning Quad Damage in Q3.
Running animation is laughable, but what to except from low FOV console shooter, lucky converted by people that have remains of respect toward PC players.
And running, for some reason, block you Use key, can't run to the canister for energy boost (noticable when you fight with queenbug).,

*most famous potato gaming magazine, shit reviews, biased, they don't know shit (Divinty 2 - 4/10, sure) and the only reason they survived that long (two decades?) is because they're sold with full games (Fallout 1/2 twi years after release for $3?).

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
Playing Heroes of Might and Magic II. I've haven't played it a few years, since I mostly switched to HoMM3, but it's still a very good game and every bit of fun as I remember.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom