Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Blonsky

Prophet
Warlords 4 Heroes of Eteria
I am just trying to finish the campaign as fast as posible, because the game is crap.
It has no diplomacy, barely any economy and a really stupid combat system. You can pick which unit goes into combat but cant replace him or remove him once its injured, until all the enemies are dead or youre unit dies and you get to pick another one. The heroes and units can level up but because of the combat system it can take 3 side missions before any unit in youre retinue gets a level.
I just hope there isnt alot more missions in the campaign.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Decided to pick up Ys Origins again. Got to the same part I was at before, and put it back down. Game gets stupidly grindy later on. Well, instead of grinding you can try finish a 3 hour boss fight without getting hit more than 3 times. Fucking hell.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Learing Kerbal Space Program step by step. This game is amazing.

And started The Witchening 3 of course.

MilesBeyond

Cipher
For reasons that are unclear to me, I've decided that this summer I want to try and do the entire Enroth world story. So, in order, HoMM 1 Knight campaign, HoMM 2 Roland campaign, M&M 6, HoMM 3 Shadow of Death campaign, HoMM 3 RoE campaign, M&M 7, HoMM 3 Armageddon's Blade campaign, HoMM 4.

I can't remember if M&M 8 factors in there or not. Also I might slot in the various Heroes Chronicles in appropriate spots. Also I'm seriously considering skipping HoMM 1 because I played the first two campaign missions last night and it... kind of irks me. Though that being said I suppose it's a point in the game's favour that it was still monstrously addicting, but there's so many little things that bother me that Heroes 2 fixes.

Also I may not do HoMM 4 because technically that's not Enroth anyway and I was never a huge fan of the game. I understand they were trying something different but unfortunately in doing so they ended up doing something that felt like a poor man's Age of Wonders. I mean, it's not necessarily a bad game, and the soundtrack alone makes it worth the price (at least, the price GOG charges...) but playing it always just gives me a craving for AoW.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
For reasons that are unclear to me, I've decided that this summer I want to try and do the entire Enroth world story. So, in order, HoMM 1 Knight campaign, HoMM 2 Roland campaign, M&M 6, HoMM 3 Shadow of Death campaign, HoMM 3 RoE campaign, M&M 7, HoMM 3 Armageddon's Blade campaign, HoMM 4.

I can't remember if M&M 8 factors in there or not. Also I might slot in the various Heroes Chronicles in appropriate spots.

Chronologically within the game world the six first Chronicles happen before HoMM 1. The Chronicles are also much easier than the other campaigns, except maybe the first half of the HoMM 3 campaign.

MilesBeyond

Cipher

I can't remember if M&M 8 factors in there or not. Also I might slot in the various Heroes Chronicles in appropriate spots.

Chronologically within the game world the six first Chronicles happen before HoMM 1. The Chronicles are also much easier than the other campaigns, except maybe the first half of the HoMM 3 campaign.

Oh, goodness, yes. Frankly I was shocked at how easy the Chronicles were. Frankly I'd say they're easier than even the first half of RoE. That at least had Steadwick's Fall, which while not exactly difficult is certainly way beyond anything in the Chronicles.

I'm mostly reluctant to do the Chronicles because I feel like six HoMM 3 campaigns will make the plunge into HoMM 1 all the more painful.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Pirate Utopia, an XL Expert difficulty map for Price of Loyalty.
Of the standalone maps for PoL, this is defintely the most detailed and intricately designed map I've played so far, rivaling the best user made maps. (HoMM 3 also had one outstanding map, which was based on Greek mythology and which name I can't recall now).
Only flaws is Barrow Mounds (Ghost under player control break the game) and find the Ultimate Artifact (buried pirate booty) victory condition.

On one of the first turns of the game one of my three starting heroes landed on this little island, driven there by the sight of a beautiful chest (of which you can still see the "shadow":
0NzzPGH.png

At the time I thought that under that palm tree would have been a nice place to bury treasure.
Many turns later that was excactly where the treasure turned out to be. :roll:
Still, I got a new record score: 387.
One of the things I really like about the HoMM games is how the score is based on a mix of turns spent and the difficulty you choose.

Last edited:

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
HoMM 3 also had one outstanding map, which was based on Greek mythology and which name I can't recall now
Myth and Legend, and it's sequel Pandora's Box from Armageddon. It makes sense to have a map set in Ancient Greece, since so many creatures from the series are from Greek mythology (centaur, medusa, titan, minotaurus, cyclops, phoenix, pegasus, etc).

Have you tried the HoMM 3 fan expansion Horn of the Abyss? Pirate's Utopia is included as one of the scenarios and now you can play as the pirate faction :).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
HoMM 3 also had one outstanding map, which was based on Greek mythology and which name I can't recall now
Myth and Legend, and it's sequel Pandora's Box from Armageddon.
It makes sense to have a map set in Ancient Greece, since so many creatures from the series are from Greek mythology (centaur, medusa, titan, minotaurus, cyclops, phoenix, pegasus, etc).

Myth and Legend it was. I don't think I got around to play Pandora's Box, though. I can't even remember if I played AB, or just bought it. So many good games at that time...

Have you tried the HoMM 3 fan expansion Horn of the Abyss? Pirate's Utopia is included as one of the scenarios and now you can play as the pirate faction :).

It's on my play list. But I may give it a try earlier than I planned, as that mod looks very intriguing.

Mustawd

Currently playing:

Telepath Tactics - delicious tactics ol gameplay that punishes bad decisions.

Witcher 1 - New to the game. Almost uninstalled after 10 minutes, as the VO is shit, and the combat is simplistic. But glad. I stuck with it. The open world is full of shit to do.

Valiant Hearts - Totally screwed up. Thought I had read "Vagrant Hearts", which I thought looked interesting and charming. Anyhow. It's a nice visual novella. Not one iota of difficulty tho....

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Witcher 1 - New to the game. Almost uninstalled after 10 minutes, as the VO is shit, and the combat is simplistic. But glad. I stuck with it. The open world is full of shit to do.
1. Game is not open world.
2. You're playing an RPG, combat always gets progressively more complex in these games and Witcher is no exception.
3. Stop being a dumbass.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Decided to pick up Ys Origins again. Got to the same part I was at before, and put it back down. Game gets stupidly grindy later on. Well, instead of grinding you can try finish a 3 hour boss fight without getting hit more than 3 times. Fucking hell.

Huh, weird. I finished it twice with Yunica now, and never grinded on purpose. I do have a habit of clearing out entire rooms of enemies as I explore because I enjoy the minute-to-minute combat a lot (though never on purpose - I just do it naturally as I explore around), and a couple of boss fights were fairly drawn out compared to, say, Ys I&II bosses, but never to the extent that your post seems to imply.

I played on Hard though. Maybe it gets worse on Nightmare, I dunno.

Last edited:

Astral Rag

Arcane
Currently playing:

Witcher 1 - New to the game. Almost uninstalled after 10 minutes, as the VO is shit, and the combat is simplistic. But glad. I stuck with it. The open world is full of shit to do Sex Cards to collect.
Fixed ;)

Mustawd

1. Game is not open world.
2. You're playing an RPG, combat always gets progressively more complex in these games and Witcher is no exception.
3. Stop being a dumbass.

1. whatever *shrug* point is there is enough stuff to do to capture my attention
2. Plz let me know when it stops being a click fest, aka simplistic
3. K'

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I wanted to play The Witcher 3, but am unable to, because nowadays when I play games, I have an audience in the form of my 2.5 year old son and The Witcher is a bit too hardcore for him to watch.
Heh, I know how that is :bro:

Incidentally, my small one took a liking to (watching me play) Paper Sorcerer - guess there is something about that art style. Quite happy with that actually, having fun with the game.

RedScum

Arbiter
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Started playing Fallout New Vegas again. This time with a explosive focused character, t'is fun to create your own homemade bombs and use them to wreak havoc.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
The Aeons of Death mod for Doom got updated last month. Mostly bugfixes, some new clown-like enemies, ONE new gun and one new powerup.

But that powerup makes Brutal Doom seem kinda tame. In-game it appears like a black pentagram, but there's also a "soul counter" at the top of the screen that counts how many souls you've collected. Once that meter reaches 666 - well, you can see the results yourself:

By far the best part about this upgrade, though, is that you can now pick and choose which "groups" of enemies appear in-game. Don't want monsters from Quake 1 & 2? No problem. Hexen 2? Gone. Half-Life 1 & 2? Bye-bye. (Because far too many of the enemies from Quake-engine games have perma-shields that really screw up the flow of the game.)

Now I have to go dig up some more decent Doom .wads to play with this beastie.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Best Painkiller ripoff I ever seen.
Better than original.
Not only that 666 souls mutation but overall... just add Impaling Gun and day is saved.

GTA V. I'm starting to sympathise Trevor. It scares me.
trevor is genuinely the first, one and only gta character who's not a retard, a complete moron or totally delusional. it's actually sane, thinks clearly and does and says what we all would ever could.
i wub trevor.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Learing Kerbal Space Program step by step. This game is amazing.
I always wanted to try that but i was scared because of shitty computer. From 1 to NASA how powerful computer does it require?
Well I have a AMD Athlon II X4, AMD HD6870 and 8 GB RAM. Average rig and it runs at max settings, but I assume it runs on a much weaker PC.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom