Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Currently playing the mother of all HoMM 2 maps: the last map of the Wizard's Isle mini campaign from Price of Loyalty.
I seem to recall having to fight legions of Black Dragons at the end the first time I played it. I've seen people complaining about the map being impossible.

This map is interesting since you can use divide and conquer strategy.
In my game I was just about to invade the yellow player who is a coalition of every faction but necromancers. But the yellow player opened up all the barriers leading to red player's domain and powerful warlocks with large stacks of Black Dragons poured though. I only had like 5 Titans, and I had just wasted 14 K on buidling up my necro castle, so was short on cash.
So I decided to just bide my time with my army on a ship ready to land when it was safe. Red player defeated several of yellow's heroes, but eventually spread his forces to thin and Yellow beat him back, at which time my fleet, reinforced with more Titans, landed.
After dispatching of most of the remaining dangerous heroes and capturing a second Wizard castle with lots of Titans ready to be recruited, my barbarian hero with the Sphere of Negation (negates spell casting) headed for Red's domain. Red's remaining heroes and cities (except one each) were easily defeated, but the very last castle was defended by 100 Black Dragons, about 50 Green Dragons, and stacks of Hydra and Minataur Kings, which my current 15 Titans could not match, so having already beated the map before I called it quits.
The map is not really that difficult, since there is no chance of being invaded, but it takes lots of time and logistics to build up a big enough army to beat the final castle. In my game I also was very fortunate that my starting castle had Summon Boat in it's Magic Guild, which meant all my heroes could summon boat, and I was not depedent on the Summon Boat scroll that could be found on a small island.

spekkio

Arcane
- The first single-player game in my gaming experience that simply can not be paused. All menus, even the "game options", are live. Even when you alt-tab from the game, enemies will still hit you. If you want to take a piss or make a quick fap-break, you can:
a) exit the game and restart from latest savepoint,
b) download the trainer and enable god mode, so your fag won't die.
It does not pause when accessing menu, but there is a separate button just for pausing.
Checked this and it's indeed true. Still - weird UI choice and I'm not the only one having problems with this:
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps3/605603-resident-evil-6/answers/334667-dumb-question-how-do-i-pause-it
http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/605604-resident-evil-6/answers/335009-why-cant-i-pause-the-game

Most enemies drop from one headshot+one melee combo.
Even the ones who mutate into shieldfags, etc.? Besides, there problem isn't with enemies being difficult to kill. They're just boring.

Using grenades also is just one button as far as I can remember.
Really?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=rAInCjCRvWg#t=242

Brightness is adjustible.
I didn't have problems with brightness, but the lightning system. If you want to see anything you have to crank the brightness up, to the point of black becoming whiteish. RE5 and RER2 have much better lightining. Maybe it's just my rig, I dunno.

Still, the game is total shit, so whatever.

Nomad_Blizz

Arcane
I suppose you got the gog versions. Have you managed to play via LAN? Using the same copy of course.
It's possible for two players who are far away to play using tunngle- even if you have pirated copies. Honestly, the game's more fun alone.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
This map is interesting since you can use divide and conquer strategy.
In my game I was just about to invade the yellow player who is a coalition of every faction but necromancers. But the yellow player opened up all the barriers leading to red player's domain and powerful warlocks with large stacks of Black Dragons poured though. I only had like 5 Titans, and I had just wasted 14 K on buidling up my necro castle, so was short on cash.
So I decided to just bide my time with my army on a ship ready to land when it was safe. Red player defeated several of yellow's heroes, but eventually spread his forces to thin and Yellow beat him back, at which time my fleet, reinforced with more Titans, landed.
After dispatching of most of the remaining dangerous heroes and capturing a second Wizard castle with lots of Titans ready to be recruited, my barbarian hero with the Sphere of Negation (negates spell casting) headed for Red's domain. Red's remaining heroes and cities (except one each) were easily defeated, but the very last castle was defended by 100 Black Dragons, about 50 Green Dragons, and stacks of Hydra and Minataur Kings, which my current 15 Titans could not match, so having already beated the map before I called it quits.
The map is not really that difficult, since there is no chance of being invaded, but it takes lots of time and logistics to build up a big enough army to beat the final castle. In my game I also was very fortunate that my starting castle had Summon Boat in it's Magic Guild, which meant all my heroes could summon boat, and I was not depedent on the Summon Boat scroll that could be found on a small island.
I don't think I ever managed to beat this map without cheating, I'll have to try your strategy some day :salute:

Humppaleka

Cipher
More Thief Gold. I think the levels just keep getting better and better. Finished Return to Cathedral, now that is what I call level design.

Good thing I foresaw that the bodies of the two hammerites would be needed later and brought them with me! Also that cinematic after the mission, damn son.

Alfons

Prophet
Recently finished Undying and unsubbed from the guy that said it's pretty good.

Started playing System Shock 2 again. Never got past a couple of hours in the last couple of times, the way it's going it doesn't look like it's gonna go differently this time around.

Humppaleka

Cipher
So I went on a spree and finished Thief Gold. What a game, although I didn't find the last few levels as incline as the levels up to Return. They did have great atmosphere and level design was really unique, along with the still awesome art design and (to some extent) texture/model work, but I might be more inclined for a good old-fashioned thievery-jievery than alien enviroments. It almost gave me a Xen vibe!

skacky

3D Realms
Developer
So I went on a spree and finished Thief Gold. What a game, although I didn't find the last few levels as incline as the levels up to Return. They did have great atmosphere and level design was really unique, along with the still awesome art design and (to some extent) texture/model work, but I might be more inclined for a good old-fashioned thievery-jievery than alien enviroments. It almost gave me a Xen vibe!

Thief 2 is a straight burglary simulator for a vast portion of the game (you rob a bank, several estates, etc), but it significantly loses Thief 1's otherworldly creepiness that lurks around every corner.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Got my hands on Saints row 2 & 3. Holy shit, these things are retarded fun.

Can you confirm that Saint's Row 2 work good? Because Steam version suck many balls and run like slug on any PC.
The surprise cult hit that reinvigorated the open-world action-adventure genre with its unique sprinkle of quirk. Complete with the GOG.com treatment to greatly improve performance on modern PCs.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Can you confirm that Saint's Row 2 work good? Because Steam version suck many balls and run like slug on any PC.
The surprise cult hit that reinvigorated the open-world action-adventure genre with its unique sprinkle of quirk. Complete with the GOG.com treatment to greatly improve performance on modern PCs.
Works okay enough on mine bro. Of course, I'm using the unofficial patch too.

Lucky

Arcane

Saints Row games are crazy fun. Great for blowing off some steam. More customisation than most AAA RPGs, too.

Taking a break from Battle Brothers to play some Sacrifice. Such a great game, should have had a sequel or at least a kickstarter. Multiplayer is a clusterfuck, as the screen gets filled with enemies and players just stare at the tiny mini-map, but the singleplayer is still great fun. You actually get to play the kind of godly wizard that most games try to avoid having you play as. The spells you use also have actual weight to them, so nailing an enemy with an Eruption looks and feels great. Great aesthetic, voice-work and music too. The campaign is way too easy once you've played the game once, though. Its difficulty relies entirely on the player gradually figuring out how the game mechanics work and stupidly Guarding their troops to their manaliths. Campaign still has lots of replay value despite that.

Lucky

Arcane
They also made the only good Earthworm Jim games. All the non-Shiny sequels to it are trash. Still baffles me that we haven't seen any Shiny devs take to kickstarter, now that Amazon bought Double Helix Games (and Double Helix made terrible games anyway). Playing this game again is making me think of what could have been...

It's like it took all their creativity to make Sacrifice though, because the best game they made afterwards was Strider. :negative:

pippin

Earthworm Jim was one of the most creative platformers ever made, in terms of personality, art, design and this alien concept called fun.

GrainWetski

Arcane
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. Just started BBI yesterday. I had somehow forgotten just how much I liked BBI. Some of the best action RPG content that exists.

Why the fuck am I not playing a sequel right now?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Still playing HoMM 2: Price of Loyalty. Just finished Dominion which was an excellent XL map, with many fronts to fight on.

Then started Surf and Turf in which it is somewhat of a nightmare to keep track of your enemies, what with the map consisting of hundreds of islands.
Noticed an "undocumented design feature" with this map. Apprarently there is a max number of boats that can be on the map and if this number is reached you get a message saying "cannot build another boat" of trying to build another boat in a shipyard. I suicided my first boat and then I could build another one. This map evidently started with the max number of boats which screwed up my plans.

Also, I'm becoming convinced that the combat AI is bugged. The AI always uses melee unit to proctect its own archers if facing only archers, but advance if facing mixed archers and melee units. Looks like a programing error, 'cause it defintely should have been the other way around.

Last edited:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Still playing HoMM 2: Price of Loyalty. Just finished Dominion which was an excellent XL map, with many fronts to fight on.

Then started Surf and Turf in which it is somewhat of a nightmare to keep track of your enemies, what with the map consisting of hundreds of islands.

Shit, I remember that map. Liked the concept, but too much is too much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom