Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Self-Ejected

ZodoZ

Self-Ejected
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
210 games installed on my desktop PC +/- . Nope, no problem here.

As I was clearing out games and uninstalling, one game caused the most hesitation, almost a slight panic about un-installation.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition

Obama Phone 3

Learned
Played Metro Redux: 2033 & Last Light. Preferred Last Light but both are extremely scripted, on-rails, linear hand-holding shooters. Both of them totally ripped off Half-Life too.

Just beat the whole S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series: Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky, & Call of Pripyat. SoC & CoP + respective Complete Mods are both classic.

Couldn't beat Dead Space on the Hard difficulty. Probably would not have beat it if this was not the case. It's an alright shooter, but again, very derivative of its predecessors, namely Doom 3.

Right now I'm chipping away at Pillars of Eternity. I booted up BGII: Enhanced Edition (a game I've never played) just to compare.

Obama Phone 3

Learned
Couldn't beat Dead Space on the Hard difficulty. Probably would not have beat it if this was not the case. It's an alright shooter, but again, very derivative of its predecessors, namely Doom 3.

SHODAN wants a word with you.

System Shock 2... Another game I really wanted to like but couldn't because the NPC's are walking rectangles. I did burn a couple tunes off the soundtrack though... Evil synth music.

chotread

Educated
Playing Borderlands on Nvidia's GRID service on an Nvidia Shield Tablet.

I knew next to nothing about this game and missed most of the past 15 years of Windows and Xbox games. Borderlands is surprisingly less boring than I expected due to the RP features, missions and ability to freely roam around areas looking for trouble.

I am up to a level 11 Hunter character, just got to where you can drive the vehicles, maybe 20 missions in. The sniper rifle business plus the Bloodwing attack bird is cool.

More background on the Shield Tablet and GRID:

I recently got fed up with my troublesome Nexus 7 (2nd gen) Android tablet and replaced it with an Nvidia Shield Tablet. Thinking this would be a decent upgrade in several ways like going from a 7 to 8 inch screen size. I also got one of their wireless game controllers and an HDMI cable to see what's what with games on this bad boy on a 1080p TV.

Games have been VERY impressive. There are native ports, so far I've tried out Portal and Half-Life 2. Even more impressive is the GRID where the games are being run on their servers, controller signals sent up to them and graphics/sound communicated back down to your tablet. Sounds crazy but it works very well on my relatively shit 20 down/2 up broadband and using 802.11n 5GHz wireless in the house to the tablet.

The GRID is about to become a monthly subscription service (still free for now while in beta) and is basically like Netflix streaming for games. You just pick something and play. While these are old games I've mentioned, they do have more modern stuff.

:what:

i told you to you write Nvidia Shield Tablet®

Blonsky

Prophet
So i just installed the 11th Hour but i cant remember when did i download it. I have around 8 games on my PC waiting for install, i remember getting them all from the torrents except for this one. Its a type of game i dont usually play (i like adventure games but not this old and this kind). The scary moment was when i started it and the main menu song started playing and i was thinking did someone or something put this game on my PC, is this an omen, do i need an exorcism on my PC.

The most logical explanation is that i wanted to torrent something else and this game was under that game description. Such things happens... right?

Humppaleka

Cipher
I remember trying out 7th Guest because someone said it was one of the better FMV games. It wasn't, it was pretty damn horrible.

Alfons

Prophet
Also playing Splinter Cell Blacklist for my dose of action.
:lol: Yap, it is an action game now.
:argh: FUCKING PIECES OF SHIT WHY DO THEY KEEP RAPING THAT FRANCHISE? JUST START A NEW FUKING IP!!! FUCKING UBISOFT!!!
:negative: Fuck....fuck.

pippin

I remember trying out 7th Guest because someone said it was one of the better FMV games. It wasn't, it was pretty damn horrible.

Now I want to play 7th Guest to relive the cheese value :D
Thanks, I was getting a bit jaded about games.

xTensai

Literate
Since i ran out of the rpgs to play, i started to play Bioshock, its fps but at least it has a good story and i am currently enjoying it.

Ivan

Arcane
good first impression
805EAC1A194BC9BA75AF3FB5DD4D1EBEF9198CC7

circ

Arcane
I reinstalled Dragon Age Inquisition after not seeing a point in continuing Dragon Age 2 past early chapter 2. I mean it's just the same shit. Although I gotta say with so much crap released as of late, the combat and characters with exceptions, aren't half bad by comparison.

Anyway, my first try with DAI was with a ranged rogue a few months ago. It was so bad I gave up at the first boss. So I thought I'd try melee rogue. Oh god. DAO had decent controls all things considered. You would autoattack targets. At the time I guess people called it dumbing down, but I'll take dumbing down to what DAI offers. Unless I'm in tactical mode, I gotta chase mobs all over, barely getting any hits in. It works in Skyrim but here it feels like I'm playing an arcade game except there's a guy behind me hitting me with a massive club constantly and sweeping my legs. And when I'm in tactical mode, I can barely make out anything or see anything. It's like someone said: Let's take the controls from Skyrim and then throw in a tactical camera - but here's the fun part, we'll be wearing blindfolds and not test it afterwards!

pippin

That sounds awful as fuck. Melee rogue was one of the most OP builds in DA:O, to the point that your warriors ended up being useless.
It was somewhat fun though, although I doubt JES-sama would approve.

Amn Nom

Learned
Fire Emblem 7. Been on a kick for SRPGs lately after going through both Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance and Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

pippin

I've been playing WL2 for a couple of hours now and it has taught me the valuable lesson about how explosive cow shit can be.

spekkio

Arcane
Gave up on Resident Evil 6 after 2 campaigns (Leon and Jake).

With this game, Capcom somehow combined the worst features of RE4 (linear corridor shooter + cinematic experience) and RE5 (half-assed co-op), creating a perfect turd.

The good: :)

- I have no idea. Maybe T&A? But RE5 and RER do this with more class. I mean, bonus outfits for the gurls are 101% shameless fanfic galore.
- Technically it's ok, except the lightning (see below).
- The series hit a rock bottom with this one, which somehow led to Revelations 2, the best RE game since RE2. :salute:

The bad: :(

- The first single-player game in my gaming experience that simply can not be paused. All menus, even the "game options", are live. Even when you alt-tab from the game, enemies will still hit you. If you want to take a piss or make a quick fap-break, you can:
a) exit the game and restart from latest savepoint,
b) download the trainer and enable god mode, so your fag won't die.
For this thing alone, developers should be hanged.
- Shitty save system: you have checkpoints (restart when you die) and savepoints (restart when you quit). It was bad in RE5, but here is much worse, since the savepoints are extremely scarce - sometimes you have to clear ~1/5 of the chapter to reach one.
- To access most of options (enable subtitles, change language, disable some QTEs) you have to complete the tutorial first. Another thing that clearly shows that devs were total clueless retards. Any tester with half-functioning brain would've pointed out that this is stupid and will enrage some players.
- Extremely repetitive, boring, ultimately shallow gameplay: linear, corridor shooter, abundance of screen prompts (and QTEs, but you can disable those), enemies are boring yet take forever to take out, they often keep respawning until you reach a certain area, then completely stop appearing.
- There's no feeling of getting better at the game. In RE5 I sucked at the beginning, but when I get a grasp of controls / weapons / enemies, I was popping moles left and right. In RE6 even after hours you will often feel like a newfag due to encounter design (mobs mobs mobs) or gameplay flaws (see below).
- Environmental traps which can kill you by accident (for example, your fag got hit by a zombie / went too far with attack animation and ended up killed by a trap).
- Inventory is extremely cumbersome and unintuitive: choosing guns from a "ribbon" is irritating, you have to access a submenu every time you want to use a grenade, etc.
- Boss battles are bad: most of the time you simply have to pump the boss with lead, which at some point will trigger a FMV and a "next phase" which is 99% identical to the previous one. Rinse and repeat 10 times and the boss will finally die due to FMV. Did I ever mention that every developer should play Super Metroid at least once?
- FMVs are shit as well: too long (watching FMVs for 2 campaigns I didn't play took me like ~1,5h or sth), filled with such CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE increasing things like shaky cam, QTEs, sudden shakes / changes of camera's position when character trips over something or the ground shakes... Grow the fuck up, devs.
- The co-op / online element hurts single player: constant meetings with other teams feel forced, you have to repeat the boss battles from the POV of other team, etc.
- Segments with fixed camera but regular controls are confusing / lead to unnecessary deaths.
- Frequent "minigame" segments, which are even worse than regular gameplay, due to fixed camera, obstructed FOV (moving towards the camera / your fag covering half the screen).
- Segments when you just wait for the AI partner to reach some area, doing absolutely nothing are boring and pointless.
- Plot and writing are abysmal, even by the series' (low) standards.

The ugly: :?

- There's something wrong with the lightning system: everything is very dark, with black zombies appearing from dark background to rape your anus. Shit like snowstorms etc. makes things even worse. RE5 was very bright (controversial, but it worked), RER2 has proper lighting system (light sources and a lighter which can be turned on/off).
- Melee system looks interesting at first, but due to half-assed implementation (weird hit boxes, enemy mobs can cancel your movements too easily) it doesn't quite work in such game.

Verdict:

:0/5:

Total waste of time - play much better games instead.

And I didn't even mention how derivative the game is. These guys did:

Last edited:

UnknownBro

Savant
Exile: Escape from the pit

Just finished tweaking the graphics for the bland UI and some of the tiles and now I can finally start playing without sunglasses (aquamarine floorcaves begone!).

ebe93q.png

I know it's no Dragon Age: Inquisition but still...

:troll:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom