Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
The game actually gets a lot better soon. I consider the first 40% to be sub-par compared to the rest. So enjoy!

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I gave Thi4f more than 10 minutes but I didn't feel it after an hour so I uninstalled it. Luckily, it was a PS+ game, so I don't have to have buyers remorse.

I'm really in the mood to go back to Freedom Force.

Unfortunately the Steam version doesn't work on modern OS and my old CD is scratched to hell.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Unfortunately the Steam version doesn't work on modern OS and my old CD is scratched to hell.

And here I am with a physical copy of FF (also FF+Third Reich) that could use a new home.

As for me, I finally played (and completed) the first Gabriel Knight game. This is something I had been planning to do for YEARS, but never got around to until now. And unlike many Codexers, I don't have the luxury of Rose-Tinted Glasses of +5 Nostalgia, so I'll be tearing into this game with no mercy. Note that I played the original CD version, not the 20th Anniversary Edition.

The setting is amazing, and the game does a wonderful job of conveying information about voodoo and New Orleans to the player, and while the angle of Knight's ancestry feels a little odd and forced, it adds a nice touch, which I know for a fact will be explored better in the sequels. Of the characters, only GK and Grace really show any depth beyond what could be expected beyond an early-90s adventure game. Mosely feels too much like "generic side-kick" and it was somehow instantly apparent that Malia was trouble. The only character that showed some difference from the norm was Dr. John, who looked like this mean brute who could tear you in half, but came off as this kind, jovial educated giant of a man - yet made it known that there was a sinister side to him. Michael Dorn really pulled off great voice-acting there. Speaking of voice acting, even though the game has Tim Curry and Mark Hamill in the main roles, I never felt that they really got to shine. I think it has more to do with technical limitations rather than performance issues; Curry does keep a Cajun accent most of the time and pulls an Irish one when GK needs to play a priest, and yet it's Leah Remini as Grace and Leilani Jones as Malina that steal the show.

The graphics are 20+ years old and I'm looking back on them from today, so no comment there, and the music never did anything for me either. The sound effects, though, felt weird most of the time. It sounded to me like the German maid was shaving those potatos with an electric razor! But the heart of the game are the puzzles - and I do NOT feel guilty about using a walkthrough for this one. I took the time to "see" many of the puzzles, read the solution for them and then try to see if they made sense. Some of them did (most of them involving misdirection) but a few were frankly HORRIBLE, especially the ones involving "the wheel within a wheel" - those puzzles are nothing but pure trial and error, and in the case of Day 9 the puzzle is brutally unforgiving - I had to make that journey to the opened door about a dozen times before I finally succeeded. No wonder Sierra were losing to LucasArts by that time - their adventure games were starting to suck a bit.

But at the end of the day it's the story that counts, and Gabriel Knight delivered an awesome one. I still have yet to play through the sequels...the question is, should I?

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
But at the end of the day it's the story that counts, and Gabriel Knight delivered an awesome one. I still have yet to play through the sequels...the question is, should I?
I played the The Beast Within and enjoyed it. It was made during the mid 90s FMV craze, so be aware that it will be lighter on puzzles and the acting is somewhat cheezy and campy. Still, it's often considered one of the better FMV games. Also, it was written by Jane Jensen, so expect a similar level of storytelling quality. The Robert Holmes soundtrack is also very good.

The third game sees the return of Tim Curry, but this the game uses late 90s 3D. I haven't played it yet, mostly due to aversion to games that jumped on the blocky 3D bandwagon unnecessarily, but will probably pick it from a gog.com sale eventually for the sake of finishing the trilogy.

it was somehow instantly apparent that Malia was trouble
Was it the couplet that precedes day 1 that gave it away? :lol:
I dreamt of blood upon the shore, of eyes that spoke of sin.
The lake was smooth and deep and black, as was her scented skin...

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS FLOOR 13 WAS A GAME ILRWERBED ABOUT FROM CODEX ONE OF THE REASONS I LIKE IT HERE OCCASSOBALLY AN INTELLIGENT PERSON POSTS SOMETHING INTERESTING AND REALLY THAT ISGT COMMON ON VIDEO GAMEN FORUMS

ANYWAYS BROS HAD FUN WITH IT FOR A WHITE

BROS ONLY PLAYED IT A LITTLE BUT BEASTORIZER IS JUST A FUCKING BRO NAME FVOR A GAME RIGHT NOW STILL ROUNDING. OUT MY MAME COLLECTION

ass creep 4: black fag.
after the just so dull crap "watch dogs", this one feels actually good.
still repetitive as fuck, still bad controls, still within big limits, but somehow it manages to work and that's all that matters.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS SPACE RANGERS 2 HD

JUST STARTED PROPBABLY WON'T GET SERIOUS TILL SUMMER

SUMMER IS MY PC GAMING SEASON CAUSE THEG KIDS ARE HOME SOD I HAVE TO BE AWAKE BUT CAN'T PLAY FAGBOX SO I,CAN KINDA JUSTIFY PLAY I G PC GAMES UNTIL NOON CAUSE I DONT LIKE BEING ACTIVE BEFORE THEB BECAUSE I WORK NIGHTS

IN THE MEANTIME DRAGONS DOGMA STILL WHEN I HAVE THE CHSANCE

spekkio

Arcane
Update to my previous Resident Evil - Revelations 2 thing:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...u-wasting-time-on.50372/page-246#post-3825686

The bad:

- The boss battle which defines bad/good ending requires you to deliberately fail the screen prompt (do nothing when you're prompted to act). What the fuck, it took me 4 retries to get this "right". Troll subtracted due to heavy game design retardation.

The ugly:

- Too many loading screens when launching the game / loading save / starting raid mode. I don't think I really need to be reminded which game I'm currently playing every time I go back to it.
- Raid mode is less interesting than in RER1. It works more like Mercenaries mode with more killing and less exploration.
- Extra episodes are short and dull.

Still, strong

:4/5:

Renegen

Arcane
Wolfenstein: The New Order, it is SO good I did not expect it. A perfect marriage of old and new, it gives you exactly what you want out of a single player FPS namely action and adrenaline while having enough complexity, choices and optional content that it ends up being a top notch game no matter the genre.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Finished Misery 2.1.1 + The Armed Zone for STALKER-Call of Pripyat

Misery is all about bullshit. Bullshit always happen, when you make mods with "realism" as a top priority.
Always.

Where to start...
Misery introduce system of proficiency. There're three classes in the game - Assaulter, Sniper and Recon, both have dedicated suits and weapons. Sounds cool. But.. This make absurd situations, like wearing leather jackets by Assaulter (supposed to be the toughest class in this mod) getting more exhausted. Why? because it's not his dedicated suit.
Exoskeletons and heavy suits with plates are heavy (one is 48kg, other is 27kg, oh and carry limit is 45kg), but you can run without constant halting, even when you go over the weight limit.
Another detail - there're plates (kelvar, metal) that you can place in the armor. They give you not only some protection
(but don't rely on it) but also reduce the speed of suit degradation.

First time with artifact hunt? Grab gasmask, lead container and sneak into radioactive anomalies and maybe PSI one with some drugs. Gasmask stop incoming radiation but won't help when you're already exposed to it and need to smoke all tabaco that you can grab. You need to smoke after eating cooked mutant meat. To get any smoking things - raid every stashes from vanilla. They don't have cool items inside anymore, only junk and cigs. When you get suit to run into anomalies - your finances are better. If you don't get mad that artifacts are cheaper and suit designed for artefact hunt is helluva expensive. This might count as a bullshit for new people.

AI is not good. They have Far Cry syndrome of bush blindness. It means that they have glues vision toward our character. More human AI, my ass... plus constant bombardment that give you CoD vibes.

You live decent with mutant hunting (it exist in Sigerious Mod but it's a gimmick), shotgun shells is cheap and most effective and most surprising - effective against armored enemies even when description said "armour penetration - None". You can even hunt for birds (ravens) and find cool things inside their corpses like coins.
Oh and here comes 50% of my deaths in this mod. When you find dead mutant and want to get his parts (trophies, meat)
you look around (see if , then press F and get window with parts. Here comes bullshit. Pressing ESC do not close it,
no matter what you do, what you choose - you still grab all things in longass animation. Some dog bite your ass?
Bandit spread bullets in your back? Press ESC and enjoy sukaaaa....., then loading...

Even when you look around - still some wandering mutant bite your sorry ass off and you die from one hit. Oh, and their attack reach is bigger and wider. I could swiftly dodge their attacks in other mods, but in Misery their attacks still hit you even when their mouth or claws are nearby.
Bullshit.

Another detail is ammo description. .45 HydraShock is great against mutants but here is a thing - your gun damage must be high or have good rate of fire, to notice difference. That's the theory.
Based on shotgun shells case - it's another blatant lie.

Misery filled my daily needs of greed. Nothing more entertaining that running around and robbing laying stalkers.
Especially Mercenaries. They're walking piggy bank, not that average stalkers are poor (only NPCs with leather jackets are poorfuks).
You may find broken guns, use the toolbox that you've found on some random corpse and enjoy new gun.

What's the first thing you notice in the game after dark colors? Hueg bloat of items. Food (cooked or imported), and tools. Tools work in strange way. You can find tools for short gun with high calibre, long gun with high calibre, pistols and assault rifles.
For these groups, you find toolboxes and minor tools that work in certain, minimum states of % condition (or item HP) and above, which is = 90%, 85%, 75% and 25%. Suits have same but also 65% iirc.
But wait, what to do with 50%, or any item below 65% of condition? Well, You need to buy most expensive tools. No matter if if that's somewhat broken of almost trash.
So much spread so little options beyond some point...

Not sure if I described it clear, it's just stupid when you play it an experience, and I'm not sure if anyone beside Misery's devs and DraQ could defend this shit.

There was a thing - can I play other Stalkers (+mods) after Misery? I say - yes. Only problem are colours. Now Call of Pripyat is full of colours argh

Another idea is to make anomalies and surrounding more deadly. This include PSI, which turn into joke in last stage of the game, where you're forced to make close contact with PSI monsters. They make annoying noises, flash your screen but the worst is - if you come closer - your health drop in the blink of the eye. Not even meds, environmental hazard suits and drugs help.

Last fight is another savescum festival. Nobody survived, including my commander and Strelok from SHoC. Well, technically I could wander around Pripyat and clean it, but I was too eager to finish the game and kick it from my HDD.

The worst thing is - artefacts do nothing to you, excluding radioactivity. Third class - Recon - is supposed to use them but I didn't tried him and won't do in near future.

Oh, and one thing about suit/helmets/mask updates. Dem +400% PSI protection sounds soooogooodNOPE. It increase a
BASE value. If you have one dot/line/%, then hefty +400% PSI protection become nothing in reality. You won't go into
new anomalies with few updates for your pitiful gasmask. Environmental closed suit or GTFO.
Oh my, your venture to Iron Forest end in pain and disappointment. Mostly pain, and noises. Lot of noises PARTYHARD

Misery in a nutshell
tumblr_mkzquyCoO01s8tx7po1_500.gif

because you need it to recover stamina. When you have some experience with artefact hunt -
it become your new habit to snort and THEN run.

This way my Stalker fever is over. I installed it after year or two pause caused by some bullshit infested mod
(iirc it was StalkerSoup, still not much progress of development in 2015, surprise big not).
There're 3 big megamods incoming, one mentioned in the Stalker thread that supposed to be long dead, but creators
made their page on moddb month ago, other is Wormwood that supposed to be "Misery done right" and other one is in the limbo.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
The bad:

- The boss battle which defines bad/good ending requires you to deliberately fail the screen prompt (do nothing when you're prompted to act). What the fuck, it took me 4 retries to get this "right". Troll subtracted due to heavy game design retardation.
Still, strong
I just got the good ending by

Immediately swapping to Moira when it became clear it was one of those 'doomed to fail' QTE's

IIRC, the swap prompt doesn't come up, which can make it a bit confusing.

kazgar

Arcane
Lego: the hobbit seems to blow up my graphics card (hard shutdown multiple times, first time it's happened, guess its soon time to upgrade) so i've switched to shadowrun returns. Don't know a heap about the system and probably nerfed my build but i'm blasting stuff and its gud.

laclongquan

Arcane
Finish Icewind Dale mod for NWN2:

Fast pace. Action packed. Much more than the original IWD.

4man party can get to level 17, but 6man only to 12. So in a way it's low to medium level range.

You can craft items in Kuldahar, in return for your caster's magic/combat feats. And it can be an interesting choice/consequence. A fully equipped party is nothing to sneer at, especially endgame, but your casters are reduced to buffers, as their offensive spells are limited in effect. (craft alchemy is not possible).

So far I have completed these mods of NWN2:

Pool of Radiance Remastered: in a way this is the best, with good music and voice, coupled with story and changing of characters.

Baldur gate reloaded : A massive game, though a lil bit more bugs than I prefer.

Icewind Dale mod: it keep all the dungeons and almost all the quest, but it FEEL way quicker/shorter than the original game.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Stronghold 3.

It is fun. Easy, but fun.

I can't tell if games are getting easy or I am gitgud though.

Ivan

Arcane
Finished Pillars. Started Kotor 2 (never finished Kotor 1). God the combat, navigation, controls are horrible. At least the story gets good, right? .........RIGHT??????????

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Finished Pillars. Started Kotor 2 (never finished Kotor 1). God the combat, navigation, controls are horrible. At least the story gets good, right? .........RIGHT??????????
It's a good, but sadly unfinished story. Even with the restoration patch the ending is pretty blah. It's still worth playing though.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom