Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Playing the Codex Top 70. When that drives me crazy I play the Legend of Zelda (original) while wondering if they'll get Zelda U right.

DwarvenFood

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I'm playing Thief for the first time, gifted by Scrooge if I recall correctly.. quite lucky to experience a game tfrom the golden days fresh for the first time like that. Completed first map, enjoying this a bit more than Deus Ex so far. Cutscenes remind me a bit of Book of the New Sun.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More Valkyrie Profile. I rushed through the game and ignored everything just to get the C ending. I now have two save files. One for the B ending and one for the A ending. I just completed chapter 4. I'm keeping all artifacts and sending the einherjar I don't intend to use. Got the more important items so I can transmute stuff so I can steamroll everything. Lawfer is da man.

Also playing X-Com: UFO Defense. I have guys dying left and right. No female soldiers recruited yet. I have no idea what I am doing, but I am having fun.

The intro sent chills down my spine. I haven't played this game before, but it gave me flashbacks of games I did play as a kid.

EDIT: The sound of civilians or your soldiers die... :negative:I also hit a civilian and they died...:argh:

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
More X-COM: UFO Defense. Over 45 soldiers KIA and I'm not even playing on any of the highest difficulties. :badnews:

Things are going smoother in Valkyrie Profile. I sent Lucian to Valhalla for getting the A ending.

pippin

that moment when you get instakilled by an alien camper as soon as you leave the skyranger

Ivan

Arcane
I'm playing Thief for the first time, gifted by Scrooge if I recall correctly.. quite lucky to experience a game tfrom the golden days fresh for the first time like that. Completed first map, enjoying this a bit more than Deus Ex so far. Cutscenes remind me a bit of Book of the New Sun.

save your fire arrows

Comte

I have started re-playing Ultima VII for the first time in 10+ years. God the combat is shit I don't remember it being so bad in my youth. I guess I was blinded by all the cool shit you could do in Britannia as a murder hobo.

Cassidy

Arcane
I'm wasting time hoping for the hardcore patch of Divinity: Original Sin and hoping futilely for a patch that will fix Dead State. Meanwhile I'm playing:

1) Xenonauts, which I recommend completely.

Pros:

- Almost as good as the real UFO: Enemy Unknown
- Great turn-based combat.
- Tech progression feels as good as in the classic
- Geoscape has its tough moments even in the second hardest difficulty.

Cons:

- Mission maps are not randomly generated and look too samey to the point you can memorize most of the layouts by late game
- "Realistic" art style does not stand out.
- No creative alternate entries in UFOs with explosives.
- Enemy turns take longer than they should.
- Enemy forces are not varied enough in missions. Lesser chances of early game rape than in the original.
- The head of research of the Xenonauts goes overboard with *tips fedora* as do most Xenopedia entries written in-character by him.
- Once you succeed in building enough interceptors and improving explosives tech, you can easily prevent terror missions from ever happening.

2) Gothic 2 Night of the Raven. Just started playing it, but considering how much I liked Risen which according to most opinions here is good but not as good as its predecessors, I have very positive expectations.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
2) Gothic 2 Night of the Raven. Just started playing it, but considering how much I liked Risen which according to most opinions here is good but not as good as its predecessors, I have very positive expectations.
Oh boy, first time G2NOTR.
:love:

Mind you, combat is not as smooth as Risen's and not as varied terms of weapon types either.
But it's awesome. So awesome.

Also J_C, :bro: for BaK.

Blonsky

Prophet
Imperium Romanum, its basically Anno:Rome in 3D without most of the trading stuff.

The game has over 30 missions in diferent campaigns that range from the rising of Rome to conquest of Britania, Germania, Africa and Roman civil wars, that i was really exited to play until i finished 5 missions and realized they are all basicly the same thing all over again. Develope a city, keep citizens happy, conquer barbarian tribes and finish quests that are only slightly diferent in each mission.
Also the game has alot of bugs from quests not finishing, buildings not being build even if all the resources are there and plain crashing to desktop happend in almost every mission.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Gothic: Dark Mysteries.

It's supposed to be equvalent of G2:Night of the Raven for first Gothic.
It add new factions (Ancients, Smugglers, Camp near Mine, Fanatics), additional stuff to to, new weapons and items and new NPCs. And new problems in quests, like simple quest get complicated due death of one NPC.
What about wackiness (strange, cringeworthy or supposed-to-be-funny things)? Well, I found few things, but you could find them in vanilia too. Not big deal unless you hate modders with passion.

It give some acivities for later part of the game. This is how usually Pirania Bytes games work - 1st and 2nd chapters (or first few hours of the game) flood you with quests. Then last 2-3 chapters you have nothing to do except main quest line, involving serious dungeon crawling.
In Gothic DM you have new separate plot, about mysterious old chapter of Innos guardians, not sure about their english name, something like Ancient Ones (how original).
It include trust gaining to speak with boss, betrayal, few orks to slay and few kick to scaled butts of the dragons, but I remember this quest for two things. First - enormous amount of weapons.
In vanillia you can finish the game with ~25k units of ore (currency in the game), in Dark Mysteries you can finish it with 120k ores. Madness...
IIRC you can get maybe few additional levels. Not a big deal, game is pretty linear in that matter anyway.
Second - new plot start with big disinfestatin. So many big bugs that may crash your game due engine limits reached.:decline:

Ah, there's is also new merchant. He give you hard missions to collect stuff. But most important - he have 9999ores in his pockets that renew every time you want to deal with him, and you need to know that other merchants in the game don't do that, except when new chapter start.

There is additional voice acting but it's so atriocious...even old games like Deus Ex sounds like proffesional work compared to this. Not to mention other megamods with voiceacting.

Now I found that there is other big mod for Gothic2 NotR named Global Mod, that add new stuff (factions, items, NPCs, locations etc.) that give good score from Gothic community, plus - translations group add even more content!
It's ~100-200h long, though :negative:

Last edited:

Ivan

Arcane
Putting my Wii U to good use.

Bayonetta :3/5:
Bayonetta 2:5/5:
Wonderful 101 :5/5:

Just started Galaxy 2; grinning like a madman

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Gothic: Dark Mysteries.

It's supposed to be equvalent of G2:Night of the Raven for first Gothic.
It add new factions (Ancients, Smugglers, Camp near Mine, Fanatics), additional stuff to to, new weapons and items and new NPCs. And new problems in quests, like simple quest get complicated due death of one NPC.
What about wackiness (strange, cringeworthy or supposed-to-be-funny things)? Well, I found few things, but you could find them in vanilia too. Not big deal unless you hate modders with passion.

It give some acivities for later part of the game. This is how usually Pirania Bytes games work - 1st and 2nd chapters (or first few hours of the game) flood you with quests. Then last 2-3 chapters you have nothing to do except main quest line, involving serious dungeon crawling.
In Gothic DM you have new separate plot, about mysterious old chapter of Innos guardians, not sure about their english name, something like Ancient Ones (how original).
It include trust gaining to speak with boss, betrayal, few orks to slay and few kick to scaled butts of the dragons, but I remember this quest for two things. First - enormous amount of weapons.
In vanillia you can finish the game with ~25k units of ore (currency in the game), in Dark Mysteries you can finish it with 120k ores. Madness...
IIRC you can get maybe few additional levels. Not a big deal, game is pretty linear in that matter anyway.
Second - new plot start with big disinfestatin. So many big bugs that may crash your game due engine limits reached.:decline:

Ah, there's is also new merchant. He give you hard missions to collect stuff. But most important - he have 9999ores in his pockets that renew every time you want to deal with him, and you need to know that other merchants in the game don't do that, except when new chapter start.

There is additional voice acting but it's so atriocious...even old games like Deus Ex sounds like proffesional work compared to this. Not to mention other megamods with voiceacting.

Now I found that there is other big mod for Gothic2 NotR named Global Mod, that add new stuff (factions, items, NPCs, locations etc.) that give good score from Gothic community, plus - translations group add even more content!
It's ~100-200h long, though :negative:
Is this some official expansion, or a fanmade mod? Because it looks pretty fucking cool.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Is this some official expansion, or a fanmade mod? Because it looks pretty fucking cool.

The latter. Not sure if avaliable in english though. It's similiar case like Stalker mods, where ENG mods may not be in majority.

cfisher2833

Learned

1 or 2? 2 is quite a bit better imo.

cfisher2833

Learned
1.. Doesn't seem too bad, I'm quite enjoying it.

Regarding arrows, I don't have any fire ones yet, but I'll be sure to stock up.

Oh yeah! Don't get me wrong. The first Thief is a great game, but Thief 2 is really where it's at. Less monster battling and more thieving, not to mention bigger levels.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I have started re-playing Ultima VII for the first time in 10+ years. God the combat is shit I don't remember it being so bad in my youth. I guess I was blinded by all the cool shit you could do in Britannia as a murder hobo.

Too bad it was Ultima V that was remade for Dungeon Siege instead of U7. The other DS remake of an Ultima game - The Ultima 6 Project - was so brilliant.

Vikter

Learned
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I'm playing an awful lot of The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth during my free time to relax. What a great game. Honestly, I like these indie roguelites, like Spelunky, Rogue Legacy and Teleglitch, but Binding and Risk of Rain are the kings for me, no question, even though Risk of Rain got kinda pointless after that item that basically kills RNG...

And I'm only using my PS3 for Netflix and my 3DS and my PSP to collect dust. Maybe I should really sell them.

bloodlover

Arcane
I bought Thief 1+2+3 boxed for 10$ last week but never played Thief 3. Is it really that bad or fanboys are just bitching without reason?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
...Thief 3. Is it really that bad or fanboys are just bitching without reason?

It's not as good as Thief 1 and 2, but that doesn't mean it's a piece of crap. It's different in some ways, and :decline: in others (get used to SMALL areas, and Garrett can't swim anymore). It does shadows and lighting much better than the prequels, and the lockpicking is actually a minigame instead of sitting there twiddling your thumbs.

Go in with an open mind, it won't bite you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom