Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Garshasp: The Monster Slayer. :yeah:

I am not yet sure whether it is better or worse than Blood Knights, but it definitely contains more of my FAVOURITE game element - Insta-Death Platforming Sections With Clunky Controls (TM). I literally hurt myself in frustration yesterday, trying to get through a 'jump on sinking platforms and don't forget to grab powerups on the way' section. :argh:

Back from when BroTeam was teh funnies.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
- Orders aren't that useful. It's much better idea to spend your CP on 2-3 actions of your units (1-2 kills), than wasting these CP on some order (0 kills).
Take Alicia
Give her demolition boost order and awaken potential order
Watch her run around the battlefield bypassing tanks and one-shotting their radiators, as intercepting fire fails to even put a scratch on her.

spekkio

Arcane
- Orders aren't that useful. It's much better idea to spend your CP on 2-3 actions of your units (1-2 kills), than wasting these CP on some order (0 kills).
Take Alicia
Watch her run around the battlefield bypassing tanks and one-shotting their radiators, as intercepting fire fails to even put a scratch on her.
15xpclc.jpg

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Take Alicia
15xpclc.jpg
Scout rushing's considered OP for a reason, not just because they can move alot farther than all the other units in the game. Orders just allow you to negate whatever weaknesses they may've had already.

And I'm not even taking her late-game potentials into account here, at which point Alicia just gets so stupidly OP that 'Scout Rushing' just becomes 'Alicia rushing'.

spekkio

Arcane
lac said:
THAT... is sufficiently enigmatic.
Maybe I should change this part to something like this:
"MOST orders (except the later ones) aren't that useful, especially if you want to play the regular way (without utilizing system's weaknesses to further break the game)."

:?

Now I would also add 1-2 points about:
- the maps sometimes having a "puzzle" nature (find one / best way to win) instead of a better "open" one (play the way you want),
- experience system reducing differences between units of certain class to potentials (no individual leveling-up).

But these were mentioned by other people plus the review is tl already...

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I was wasting my time playing FIFA 15 with a bunch of friends when the PS4 spat out the disc. Got in touch with Sony support and nothing they suggested solved the issue. I will now have to send in the bastard for repairs. Still better than getting a RROD on my 360 and a YLOD on my PS3. I still have my PS1 and PS2 lying around and they work flawlessly. Hell, even my Game Boy still works. I still play Tetris from time to time.

laclongquan

Arcane
Ring of Red completed!

It's a very nice mecha game I would recommend to any fan of tactical mecha, like Front Mission 3. But a few things need to be aware:

1. It's a freaking political game. It skirted too close to current issue like the Korean War (disguised as the imagined Japanese civil war). I imagine any Korean and Chinese playing that game would get pissed off. But if you can ignore it, you are golden.

2. The freaking loots, and goals, of this game is the number of troops you recruit each map, not experience or kill number. You will replay each map several times to see whether you can get a green (elite) troop from that map.

I tried my hand with Fallout Brotherhood of Steel. The freaking camera turn me off, damn it!

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
Been playing Thief 2 over the last week. I'm about 9 hours in. Pretty good and enjoyable. I really like the huge non-linear levels, the architecture and the atmosphere. I don't know if I'll actually ever finish it or play any of the other Thief games (though I do remember enjoying the demo of T3 back when it first came out). I'm really bugged out by the fact that there's no customization or new item types in the later levels. I know this is intended, but for me it gets tedious. Doing basically the same thing all over again, no new means or methods.

Another subjective thing is that I'm kinda put off by the whole steam-punk setting. But that's always been the case, it's not that the game doesn't do it 'right' or anything.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Finished Shadowrun Returns. Pretty good.
Just started Europa 1400 The Guild. Seems very promising.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Been playing Thief 2 over the last week. I'm about 9 hours in. Pretty good and enjoyable. I really like the huge non-linear levels, the architecture and the atmosphere. I don't know if I'll actually ever finish it or play any of the other Thief games (though I do remember enjoying the demo of T3 back when it first came out). I'm really bugged out by the fact that there's no customization or new item types in the later levels. I know this is intended, but for me it gets tedious. Doing basically the same thing all over again, no new means or methods.

Another subjective thing is that I'm kinda put off by the whole steam-punk setting. But that's always been the case, it's not that the game doesn't do it 'right' or anything.

Both item progression and the diversity in settings are problems with Thief 2, though they are minor ones.

On the upside, once you finish Thief 2 you can have a look at all the fan missions, there are literally hundreds of them available for Thief 2.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS JUST STARTED TEH PRECURSORS ITS FUN AND THE KIFND OF OPEN ECPERIEEMCE I LIKE

ILL HAVE TO SEE HOW ITTURNS OUT THOUGH SEEMS THERE IS ALOY TO DO IN THE FIRST WORLD I JUST HAVE TO SEE IF IT STAYS INTERESTING AND THW PROGRESSION OF DIFFICULYRY IS THERE OR MAKES SENSE

SO FAR I RUN AROUND IN THEG DESERT SCARED SHITLESA SOMETHING WILL FUCK ME UP AND I WONT HAVE ENOUGH SHIR TO HEAL AND MAKE IT HOME

LOLIOLLOLOL MY PC IS OUT OF COMMISSION BECAUSE I SRT IT IN TOP OF A FAN TO COOL IT AND THW FAN DIED LOLOLOLOL LONG AND DUMB STOEY BROS

BOUGHT DRAGONS DOGMA TODAY TOOO MIGHT FIRE THAT UP SOON

ALSO ON A SCHMUP SPREE IN MAME

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
Played and beat Ground Zeroes on the PC today. So far liking all the improvements and changes they've made to gameplay. Though it feels a bit more popamole-ish, there's still alot of care and dedication put in to gameplay mechanics and level design. Just to get things clear, this is more-or-less purely just an expensive gameplay demo for The Phantom Pain, which I don't really have a problem paying for. Story-wise it doesn't really add an awful lot to the table.

And I kinda hate to side with the social justice crowd here, but I didn't really like the inclusion of rape in the story. Not for any moral reasons, just find it an extremely cheap way to try and make the audience dislike a character, which I found bizarre since I already had more than enough reasons to think that Skull-Face was a pretty despicable dude. Didn't have too much of an issue with the vagina-bomb, though, if only because I did find it a legitimately clever move.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Tried The Witcher again, got further than I ever got, all the way up to the Reverend's house.

Still think it's a shitty game, so I stopped.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Started playing Quest for Gloreh 1. It's BRETTY GUUD. Just a shame the combat is shit but I can live with it... for now.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Started playing Quest for Gloreh 1. It's BRETTY GUUD. Just a shame the combat is shit but I can live with it.
Excess fluff removed.

QFG is awesome. Combat was never a strong point in the series but it's actually quite good inthe QFG2 remake. I do love that so many puzzles use your skills and stats even outside combat.

spekkio

Arcane
Gave Shadow Man another (3rd?) try.

Shit is as bad as it was back in the day: clunky as fuck controls, boring enemies, boring environment, bad animations, etc.
The atmosphere is nice, but I'm to old to keep playing a game that irritates the fuck out of me (shitty gameplay / bad controls).

tumblr_lm4ntxJsGZ1qj6xzq.jpg

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Shank surprised me with being very brutal, in a good way, which coupled with its story makes me almost feel like I am playing Kill Bill The Game. loving it so far. It has nice comic book art design too. I only wish I had someone to play the co-op prequel campaign with (as my lady does not play action games).

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Shit, I'm really bored as hell.
4x Steam purchases so far and still felt most games aren't even worth half price.

Insurgency :3/5: Humble Bundle
This is a more 'hardcore' take on Counterstrike. No UI pops when you kill, no ammo count UI, no Health, aiming reticule absent, nothing. It's just like real life, man.
Team play and voice chat is not optional, you just can't coordinate at all with randoms. Not for the faint-hearted. I farmed the cards, quit, and went to play CS:GO, earned two boxes and a skin, sold them for $0.28. There's co-op vs bots if you prefer not to get camped. Have fun, I'll just stand over here, thanks.

Hegemony Rome: Rise of Caesar :1/5: $5.00
Tries to be different from Total War, and kinda half-assed - I was pretty much falling asleep through the tutorial after one session. Uninstalled.

Lord of the Rings: War in the North :2/5: $5.00
Action Arcade RPG take on LOTR license, basically D&D Shadow over Mystara rehash. I was kinda hooked with the quick gameplay for the first few hours and upgrading of moves/gears. Eventually the bosses got too repetitive and the action bland. Uninstalled.

Borderlands 2 :3/5: $5.00
FPS RPG Borderlands return for more meaningless shooting stuff to get quests done, earning EXP, money and drops. Perhaps I made a mistake in picking the Sniper type. Five seconds of cloak, boost next attack damage within 5 seconds. Snipe. Retreat, wait for cooldown, cloak, snipe. Repeat. I think I wanna reroll - but do I want to replay the first 5 levels again? Maybe I'll uninstall.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Bought King's Bounty Crossworlds, playing on Hard, Mage.

I've beaten Armored Princess before, but not remembering it was on normal or hard. Probably just normal because I don't remember having so much trouble back then.

In any case, Hard Mage in Crossworlds is fucking hard. Seeing all those enemy armies with 10,000+ hp stacks while my mage has only 3200 leadership...feels just so hopeless. I remember AP was hard, but this is a whole other story.

Sometimes I have the urge to restart the game because I feel so much spending runes/crystals wrong, did not train certain medals, did not dig all the chests, and just in general wasted a lot of chances to perfect my mage. But then again, my current game has so many good things brought by the RNG: I have scrolls of resurrection, phantom, chaos dragon, stoneskin, angelic armor, I can hire abundant of cyclops, black dragons, rune mages, paladins and even demonologists...

The game do teach me to exploit all kinds of advantages to the fullest, from spamming summons (I hate summons in most games) to tanking with pallies (I never thought tanking is possible in a hex game like this). I just need to be very careful because a single error such as attacking from the wrong direction can mean downhill collapse for me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom