Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
Did you notice the absence of the WTC towers in the NY skyline?

From the wiki:
"Whenever the New York City skyline is visible in the background, the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center are conspicuously absent. This was due to texture memory limitations that arose during the game's development, but the in-universe explanation for the missing towers is that they were destroyed in a terrorist attack. A year after the game's initial release, the real Twin Towers were destroyed in the 9/11 terrorist attacks."

But no, I didn't. Heh. I guess those terrorists played the game and thought to themselves: man, now that's a GREAT idea for a terrorist attacks! :thumbsup:

Ninjerk

Arcane

From the wiki:
"Whenever the New York City skyline is visible in the background, the Twin Towers of the World Trade Center are conspicuously absent. This was due to texture memory limitations that arose during the game's development, but the in-universe explanation for the missing towers is that they were destroyed in a terrorist attack. A year after the game's initial release, the real Twin Towers were destroyed in the 9/11 terrorist attacks."

But no, I didn't. Heh. I guess those terrorists played the game and thought to themselves: man, now that's a GREAT idea for a terrorist attacks! :thumbsup:
Now go play Liberty Island again and kill the first UNATCO trooper that comes up after you take the commander prisoner. Report to Manderley for debriefing.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
"Number one: that's terror!" *stunrod* "What a shame."
God I loved that game, so many fond memories. I still remember running after the mailman trying to deliver it in my pyjamas, because I didn't answer the doorbell fast enough. Waiting another day? Nowai!
Only a handful of games hold such a special place in my heart after all those years...
Great, now nostalgia has hit me and I have to reinstall it.

When I tried SR2 on my old PC I also was turned off by horrible driving physics. But then on more modern PC driving seemed more or less adequate. Maybe it's performance thing.
Oh yes, my first experience with a shitty console port. Every car faster than a potato carriage pulled by a mule was pretty much unplayble unless you mastered the art of hitting a key for millisecond. Even on a toaster far above the requirements dynamic lighting made it sluggish like hell. And it even produced the occasional bluescreen for me. But I liked it well enough to forgive all those flaws.

murloc_gypsy

Cipher

From the wiki:

Now go play Liberty Island again and kill the first UNATCO trooper that comes up after you take the commander prisoner. Report to Manderley for debriefing.

I'm actually playing The Nameless Mod atm. It's so meta it hurts. But it's enjoyable. Full voice acting and interesting plot so far. "The Nameless Mod takes place in Forum City, a physical representation of the Planet Deus Ex forums on the internet in the present day."

Hoaxmetal

Arcane

From the wiki:

blxts.jpg

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

From the wiki:

Bros, Illuminati: New World Order card game had this covered back in 1995 (article link):

Terrorist_nuke.jpg
pentagon.jpg

octavius

Arcane
Patron
I've been on level 4 of Wizardry 5 for several weeks now (OK, I've been more busy than usual, but still...)
This game must be the slowest one to explore and progress in ever.

Ivan

Arcane
My first Wii U game:

Feels like Super Mario World + Mario 64 = the best 3d Mario game. Fucking SMOOTH controls, graphics are fucking butter. This and Rayman Origins are the best platformers bar none. :5/5:

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Currently playing through Alien: Isolation. Headphones, lights out, 39 inch TV at the foot of the bed (running it from my laptop at max settings) Holy shit, it's a very good game.

deuxhero

Arcane
Hit the last chapter of Legend of Korra.

Good:
While I freely admit I'm not an expert on this, the combat is very fluid and you always feel in control as expected of Platinum. Not as deep as DMC/Bayonetta, but pretty good
Free of the shipping bullshit that killed the show
It looks pretty good

Bad:
Game is REALLY short with Steam showing only 4 hours going into the last stage despite replaying a few stages (but it's sold at a budget price so that's forgivable). There'd be some replay value for hard and platinum medals if that's your thing.
Plot is kinda filler
PC porting is iffy (three graphics options: resolution, windowed/nonwindowed and a choice between normal/smooth which google tells me means blur and FXAA off/on). It doesn't run super fast if you have too powerful a CPU or quit instantly when you hit escape, but that's still pretty shoddy.

Overall very solid for the price of a Something Awful membership. If they made a lengthier and more polished sequel I'd buy it.

About to liberate Dust in Red Faction Guerrilla

Good:
See that building? You can destroy it! It even persists across saves.
The weapons feel useful and have a wide enough range you actually have to think about what to take with you, as you will have holes in your equipment that force you to resupply one way or the other. If you take demolition charges, a shotgun and the lightning gun you'll be able to get in, destroy a lot of stuff and kill enemies without destroying their vehicles to escape easily, but you'll be unable to destroy anything without being very close. If you swap the shotgun for a rocket launcher you will be able to destory stuff very well, but won't be able to fight off guards very well (as the lightning gun doesn't hold much ammo), swap the lighting gun for the rocket launcher and you'll have issues getting out as enemy vechicles are destroyed instead of captured.
You can NOT fight off endless hordes of enemies (at least not without endgame upgrades) and you can't save while alert is anything higher than the 1 star equivalent so the getting out phase of destroying important property and getting out alive is actually as important as getting in and destroying it in the first place. This encourages multiple smaller attacks instead of getting every objective in one go, especially as any partial damage you do will persist.
Enemies aren't totally psychic, which helps with the above. You give yourself longer to work if you eliminate isolated guards before making a fuss

Bad:
Changing from keyboard/mouse requires going into the menu and changing your controller options. This means you can not fight on foot with keyboard/mouse and use the controller for driving
Floating scrap does NOT stay across reloads even though destruction does. While mission replay means you can't wind up not having enough scrap for everything, it's kinda crappy.
Building variety is low, but the setting makes that more forgivable (Mars is a place I'll accept most buildings be template built prefabrications)
Textures are VERY low resolution. Thanks consoles!

Very good for what it goes for now.

Last edited:

zwanzig_zwoelf

Playing through the first Wizardry on my tablet (PSX version via emulator). Runs and plays pretty good (glorious 3d dungeons, oh boy), despite being a port in Japanese with a half-assed English translation (and these fucking Japanese spell names).
Good thing there are 5 Wiz games on PSX that are available in English, enough to keep me entertained for a year or so.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Red Faction Guerrilla

Good:
See that building? You can destroy it! It even persist across saves.
The weapons feel useful and have a wide enough range you actually have to think about what to take with you, as you will have holes in your equipment that force you to resupply one way or the other. If you take demolition charges, a shotgun and the lightning gun you'll be able to get in, destroy a lot of stuff and kill enemies without destroying their vehicles to escape easily, but you'll be unable to destroy anything without being very close
You can NOT fight off endless hordes of enemies (at least not without endgame upgrades) and you can't save while alert is anything higher than the 1 star equivalent so the getting out phase of destroying important property and getting out alive is actually as important as getting in and destroying it in the first place. This encourages multiple smaller attacks instead of getting every objective in one go, especially as any partial damage you do will persist.
Enemies aren't totally psychic, which helps with the above. You give yourself longer to work if you eliminate isolated guards before making a fuss

Bad:
Changing from keyboard/mouse requires going into the menu and changing your controller options. This means you can fight on foot with keyboard/mouse and use the controller for driving
Floating scrap does NOT stay across reloads even though destruction does. While mission replay means you can't wind up not having enough scrap for everything, it's kinda crappy.
Building variety is low, but the setting makes that more forgivable (Mars is a place I'll accept most buildings be template built prefabrications)
Textures are VERY lose resolution. Thanks consoles!

Very good for what it goes for now.
Hah, had fun times with this.

The stats were so skewed though.
Most used weapon: Hammer- 1500 kills
2nd highest- Shotgun- 50 kills. :lol:

Norfleet

I would not read too much into it. Every single major landmark everywhere has been destroyed by terrorists, monsters, aliens, invaders, the player, and whatnot in a game at some point. At the point at which something actually happens to said landmark in real life, it's past blind-squirrel level.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Playing through the first Wizardry on my tablet (PSX version via emulator). Runs and plays pretty good (glorious 3d dungeons, oh boy), despite being a port in Japanese with a half-assed English translation (and these fucking Japanese spell names).
Good thing there are 5 Wiz games on PSX that are available in English, enough to keep me entertained for a year or so.

You can probably do 1-4 combined (4 if you cheat a bit) quicker than 5 if the DOS versions are anything to go by.

Wasting time on my own game now, so i guess it still fits.

doKXcCvl.jpg

Got the concept, mechanics and art direction down. It's still at least 6 months away from anything playable (mostly due to time constraints), shit's tough but i'm having a blast.
:happytrollboy:

Cassidy

Arcane
Dead State.

The game is decent, although I had somewhat higher expectations, but one of the developers is not so decent at all, cherishing over the machetes wavering all over Ferguson as another brainwashed SJW totalitarian. But back to the game rather than /pol/ matters:

Pros

- Interesting concept

- Meaningful character creation

- Shows how Age of Decadence could be better with a party rather than a single character.

- Lots of recruitable characters, most of them not mandatory to progress

- Base combat mechanics inherited from AoD are mostly good, with a large variety of weapons

- It is fun

Cons

-Despite core features being complete, obvious Early Access renamed 1.0 is obvious. Bugs are part of this.

-Difficulty. Although some of the encounters can be deadly, it is simply is not challenging enough overall, specially when compared to Age of Decadence's combat, unless you start with a very poor choice of character skills and/or force yourself to play it in ironman mode. Of course I haven't played it fully so maybe there could be a sudden difficulty spike in late game, but I doubt it.

-Avoiding infections in way too easy. Despite getting bitten multiple times by zombies, all of my characters remain uninfected, and the only infected character in the Shelter is one already infected when recruited, to the point I didn't even think about refusing to help such character and her husband because of how much surplus antibiotics I already had stocked. This also is related to the lack of difficulty.

-The main character always having to join scavenging parties limits optimal main character builds.

-There is no stealth skill and while getting all enemies by surprise is always desirable, and using quieter weapons in heavily infested areas always useful to avoid dragging a huge crowd, there are very few reasons for avoiding combat, unless you handicap yourself with a party deprived of good melee or ranged fighters. Save a few exceptions, most of the encounters lack that situation where avoiding to scavenge somewhere is a viable choice. The lack of challenge is directly related to it. A certain ease to ensure an always well stocked shelter also is.

-The interface needs work, maybe even a rework. One of the most glaring flaws is the impossibility of transferring items from the inventory of other characters to the shelter stockpile.

-Food is too abundant and there is no place full of it that is dangerous enough to give "avoid it" as a reasonable option that would make the "risk lives or starvation" dilemma real. The only thing that took a while to be stockpiled in large quantities were spare materials. Of course I never did choose to avoid looting anywhere because of the presence of looters or coyotes.

-Horrible Tire Textures

-Reading certain Annie's comments posted in Twatter and reposted in the Worst Thread Ever can lead to feelings of guilt, regret and shame from having purchased this game completely unrelated to the game itself.

Last edited:

DeepOcean

Arcane
Finally, managed to start playing Wasteland 2 for reals this time and as it always happen with turn based games, got addicted to it but there are a few flaws. The three major problems are the lack of tactical options in the combat, the poor attribute and weapon balancing and quite a few repetitive trash mobs that are a pain to deal with (finished Ag Center and had a feeling that I fought the same battle over and over again to end).

Heard a few people bitching about the writing, it isn't an amazing mind blowing writing but is really functional and don't cause you to cringe with badness what is saying much on an industry that have Bioware and Irrational as examples of good writing.

Anyway, for all the codex bitching, very fun game so far and as people tell that California is even better, I will have a hell of a time.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Feel free to boo at me for this one.

I just remembered that I bought Minecraft earlier this year but never even installed it, let alone played it. I know, late to the party and all that.

So I install, play the game, muck around a bit, see all the similarities to Terraria, then remember I have to build a shelter very soon or some damn monsters are gonna get me. I spotted a small island off the coast, so I head over there and make it my "base" and hope for the best. Then I decide to start crafting something.

After 5 minutes I realize that either I'm doing something wrong or I'm missing something, as the most useful thing I've managed to craft is a stick. There is no in-game database/journal to keep track of the recipes, and there's no "Guide" NPC to help me keep track. After mucking around a bit, surviving the night (monsters don't seem to like islands) I try again...and get absolutely nowhere.

Admitting to myself that I must be stupid, I Alt-Tab to a browser and look up "Minecraft Beginner's Guide". That only tells me what I should be doing and what resources to look for, but now how to craft things. So I dig deeper until I discover 2 things:

# Some recipes require that the items be placed in the proper squares in the crafting window.

# Everyone suggests just looking up the recipes online, as there's no way to discover them in-game except by trial and error.

I don't mind the first point at all, except that the game doesn't see a reason to inform me of this fact. But the second? :retarded: X 100.

I've criticized Terraria's crafting system for being redundant, but that's Mensa-level quality stuff compared to this. This is early 1980's-era level of game design, the kind that any sensible developer abandoned decades ago, for good reason.

The best part about Terraria is discovering things on your own once you've been pointed in the right direction. Minecraft probably sports thousands of recipes, yet deliberately acts this obtuse about them? Not even giving you a "sample" crafting recipe to get people going?

I'm sorry, I don't have time for this. The aspies can have this game, Terraria is good enough for me.

EDIT: Clarity.

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Since I have very little time to play games right now, I've been playing Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ with an arcade stick and a few indie platformers (Guacamelee!, Shovel Knight, etc.) whenever I have a moment.

Simple arcade games are still p. gud from time to time.

I've been playing a lot of the new Smash Bros game. Me and my best friend through school were practically the only ones with Gamecubes. We've played Melee for probably more than a decade. He is the Rocky to my Apollo.

I'm liking Smash 4, especially because it has online play and pretty good netcode, but man... I really thought I was better than I am. I do pretty well against pubbies for the most part, but there are times where I get the everloving shit kicked out of me, and being a Nintendo game, probably by an 8-year-old. For fuck's sake, I've played Smash Bros and assorted fighting games for like 14 years now... how can it be this bad?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom