Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I'm playing Eador Genesis.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Gem tower defense is cute.

Also I though friends in L4D2 are these who are keeping blow you head off, some of them really on an accident.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Finished Commandos 1. Tough game. Still looks great, must've been a real eye candy back in 1998. Games like Jagged Alliance 2 are downright ugly in comparison.
Start with Commandos Beyond the Call of Duty.

Played those games back in the day and yeah, they looked really nice, the attention to detail was truly amazing. Commandos is probably the only game in which you really feel you're alone against a whole army, and if you fuck up, you fuck up, and that's it. It's an amazing change in comparison to all those "one soldier saves the world" kind of games.
Beyond the Call of Duty was fucking hard as well. I had nightmares while trying to sneak my men on that island.
It's also nice that we could enjoy gams with similar mechanics as well, like Desperados or Robin Hood, the latter being a personal favorite with even more gorgeus graphics. Play it if you haven't. It's considerably easier than Commandos, though.

One of the Commandos games had a female spy with an ability to distract (male) enemy soldiers via chitchat; this ability was a lipstick and it was implied she tried to seduce them. Of course, wymyn can only contribute with their sex. Cishetscum game confirmed :smug:
Yeah, too bad we have so few of these Commandos clones, they are awesome. If you haven't play Helldorado, from the devs of Desperados 1 and 2. A more polished Desperados 2.

spekkio

Arcane
Finished Rayman Origins

Pros:
- Simple but (mostly) great 2D graphics (kitchen level is probably the best).
- Very long.
- Difficulty ranges from hard to brutal, the old-school way.
- The game requires you to learn and execute an almost perfect pattern of movement, jumps and attacks in order to complete some levels - similar to shmups (avoiding projectiles) or fighting games (difficult combos). Wet dream for the arcadefags, but can be too much /boring for some people (see below).

Cons:

- The majority of levels uses the "race against the scrolling screen" mechanics - you have to keep going (mostly to the right), or you quickly die. To beat these levels, you have to learn a pattern, mostly by trial and error (sometimes there are multiple paths, with only one being the "correct" one). This, plus this:
- The game uses the savepoint system, but the savepoints are sparse, forcing you to repeat long sections (or entire levels in some cases). Plus this:
- Many collectibles are timed as well: regular lums will disappear after some time, you can't go back to grab the "tokens" you missed, combo mode (lums turning red) is timed as well. Lead to this:
- You have to do everything ASAP, there's no time to stop and think something through. If you screwed up, you have to repeat from the savepoint. I don't like such gameplay, I prefer the ability to go back, think jumps / enemies through (Mario, Crash, etc).
- Some levels are much more difficult than others (chest chases, the finale) - reducing the gameplay to learning and performing a long series of perfectly timed input commands (repeat 1000 times until you succeed). Not my cup of "immersive gameplay".
- Sometimes it's not clear where the "pits" are - you have to jump in to learn if they're deadly, or if they lead to secret areas. What is it, Prehistorik all over again?
- Basic gameplay (run, hit, jump, glide, wallrun) and stage design has little variety. Only the underwater levels feel different, but these come late and end fast.
- Mosquito levels appear way too often in later part of the game, which turns ~1/3 of the game into a shmup. These levels are also much more difficult than others when it comes to getting a perfect score.
- Music in some levels melts face, while in others it's totally forgettable.

tl;dr

For people who loved Ray 2 and (liked) Ray 3 (me!): :3/5:
For die-hard arcadefags: :4/5:
For Roxor herpderpers who value difficulty over good game design: :5/5::5/5:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
I've been having a look at the two Humble Halloween bundles.

Amnesia - A Machine for Pigs: Isn't this the one where the Dear Esther devs got involved? Because it shows. They took out everything that involved gameplay and put in object manipulation puzzles instead. The lantern is electric now, sanity is not an issue and there's no inventory to speak of. As a result there's no reason to even play the game. Uninstalled after about an hour's play.

Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack: The controls kill this one. "Gamepad strongly recommended". It should read "Don't even fucking try it without one". The controls CANNOT BE ALTERED and are divided between WASD, the mouse and keys on the right-hand side of the keyboard. That I made it to level 1-4 using Kbrd + Mouse is achievement-worthy. Beyond that setback it looks and feels nice.

Novelist: On one hand it's a game that looks to be "exploring narratives" and using an interesting stealth gimmick, so it could be worth investing time in. On the other hand I found no way to alter the controls and the typewriter gimmick to show text on-screen annoyed me to no end. Uninstalled after 10 minutes.

OlliOlli: A skateboard game that opens up with "You should use a gamepad". Not my cup of tea to begin with, not interested after that statement. Pass.

Risk of Rain: Here's a game that's all about luck and grinding. My first playthrough was ended because I couldn't move except to turn left/right. A restart led me to the best playthrough so far, where I got the Tesla Coil and "killed enemies give extra health" powerups and proceeded to steamroll my way through to Level 3 in 10 minutes before being swarmed. (The difficulty increases as TIME passes, not by progress.) Subsequent playthroughs revealed to me that you have to grind to unlock game content, which is something I HATE with a passion. (Getting killed 40 times should NEVER be an in-game requirement to unlock game content.) RoR has potential to be good but is bogged down by retarded game design. Uninstalled after 2 hours.

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet: This one kept me going for 3 hours or so. You control a flying saucer in a game that feels too much like Aquaria. I got stranded on the ice level and once I quit the game I found that it had screwed up my keyboard somehow. A reboot, followed by uninstallation sorted that out.

Tower of Guns: FPS bullet hells do not work. Also retarded "grinding to unlock game content" gimmick.

Teleglitch: An interesting roguelike, unfortunately the overly pixellated graphics hinder the game instead of helping it.

Jazzpunk: See my post on the last page. This one seems to be the clear winner.

Home: It's nothing more than an experiment in game narrative, a CYOA without the "adventure" part. At least I lasted through a whole playthrough.

Knock-Knock: One of the weirdest games I've played in a long time, but the novelty of the game quickly wears off and the story, though interesting, is too vague and disjointed for my tastes.

Our Darker Purpose: Someone is trying to cash in on The Binding of Isaac with a clone based in an evil Hogwarts. Yawn.

Betrayer: It's great while it lasts.

Vertical Drop Heroes: Feels a bit like an inverted Rainbow Islands, but is killed by the "grinding to unlock game content" gimmick.

Five Nights At Freedy's: Easily the scariest game of the year. It's one thing to watch someone else play it, but then to sit in the chair yourself...

spekkio

Arcane
git gud scrub :dance:
Well, I got 214/215 electoofags and 10/10 tooth. So I'm not sure what exactly should I "git gud" on...
I expected the final levels to be interesting / well-made. Too bad they're simply more spergish...

:decline:

Instead of "gitting gud" on such hardcoer masterpiece as RO, I prefer replaying Rayman 2 or Crash 1-3 - much better games overall. :obviously:

Ivan

Arcane
Fuck you, garren. Rayman Origins is :5/5:

Legends was a disappointment. Taken as an expansion, it's fine. It's just that it takes too long to get good/great (general difficulty is much lower).

Mastering this:

made me :happytrollboy::love::codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues::brodex::greatjob:

note: 20, 000 lums under the sea is brilliant. It's sad the early chapters are such filler.

Last edited:

garren

Arcane
Patron
I felt Legends was overall more balanced and varied than Origins. But it did lack a cool high difficulty area at the end, so that was a disappointment.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
I am playing old roms with my 12 year old son. We have a boys road trip this weekend (eldest has a hockey tourney) and we decided to have a retro weekend to.occupy all the downtime. Should be fun. I am brining my home made coffee table top mame machine. We have a wicked Hyper Sports rivalry going and we are bringing the NES Rom collection as well.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Playing Shadow of Mordor lately, it is popemole done right mostly. As usual AAA titles you can finish it with your eyes closed.
There is some sort of nemesis system which enemies got stronger if they manage to kill you or escape from you but none of them happened first 8 hours so can't comment on that...

dunno lah

Arcane
Abuse: Got past the section I was having trouble with earlier in level 8. But now I've wasted more than an hour getting through another section where giant mines on the walls are primed to destroy everything and so...so many Ants in my way. I'm burnt out for today.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Abuse: Got past the section I was having trouble with earlier in level 8. But now I've wasted more than an hour getting through another section where giant mines on the walls are primed to destroy everything and so...so many Ants in my way. I'm burnt out for today.

WoW, Abuse...
Really liked it back then, one of my favorite side scrollers!

spekkio

Arcane
IDK mang you keep whining about the difficulty all the time
Learn to read, BRO. I mentioned many faults in RO except the brutal difficulty. So far you adressed none of them. Instead I got "HERP DERP, my epeanis hueg!!!". :roll:
Git a life, scrub - perfecting a badly designed any game doesn't make you an elite individual. And the game being very difficult doesn't automagically mean very good.
DR said:
even with the quicksaves every five steps that you are so proud of mentioning
Hey, at least I'm honest. I'm not trying to pose as an hardcore gaming elite - like some other fags here.
If I didn't mention quicksaves and posted screens from the final level, you probably would've been all "BRO, congrats on finishing it, you're almost as awesum as me!!!". :roll:
Instead of that, you got my honest "review": I've played the game almost to completion and it's not that great, quicksaves or not.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
IDK mang you still look like a scrub to me
2mr9tg1.jpg

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Hi-res patch for Fallout 2 works like a charm. Made a Fast Shot Character with Big Guns in mind.
Got through the boring sections in Fallout 2 starts and finally reached New Reno at level 6.
What struck me about New Reno is how 'easy' it was to being a made man.
Salvatore's quest chain in particular involved just one skill check to open a locked door.
The rest are just talk, talk, and talk. Pay up. And... done.
You're a made man. Go talk to the Gun store owner for Special Stock.
Acquired Bozar for more than 10k caps worth of trade (easy, considering there wasn't really anything worthwhile to buy. And digging all the graves in Golgotha nets you 2 SMGs, Metal Armor and other goodies worth more than 4000 caps) , 200x FMJ Ammo. Walked back to the Den. Pop mentats and put on sunglasses, successfully inviting Vic into the party with Sulik already in tow, proving beyond all reasonable doubt that Vic is both gay and bald like Kem0sabe - then walked outside. Unload two bursts of 10mm SMG on one of the Metzger's goon's face. Killing him. Ran out of the zone. Came back, raised Bozar. Unload freely. More bursts of shots to kill all the slavers. Loot them all
The end.
Probably will whack Lara's gang at the church as well. EXP is EXP.

Machocruz

Arcane
Path of Exile - nicest looking potion flasks in video game history.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Never gets old. Sequel or this whole video game thing has been for naught.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
The old school adventure game Quest for Infamy. Basically Quest for Glory but with a chaotic neutral protagonist. I read a SJW-review which criticized it for having draconian views on women, and the rest is history.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Feels good mang.

F2-01.jpg

F2-02.jpg

F2-03.jpg

Yet another successful Caravan run where everyone is dead but me. :smug:
successful.jpg

Also, conducted wasteland diplomacy between Slags and the townsfolk of Modoc
wasteland-diplomacy.jpg

Last edited:

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
After not seeing it for 24 years, I can instantly recall and hum the tunes from this game. In a flood it's all coming back to me.

Battletoads!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom