Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Cadmus

Arcane
One of the least offensive popamoles, at least
Then I don't want to see the more offensive ones. Seriously, I had no idea that this is what passes for "decent" these days.
The lack of subtitles at least made me care even less about the voice logs and lol the fucking reel to reel recorders scattered around the place. I quit in the sewers cuz I was getting killed by some insects, fuck that shit. If the second level of your game is a sewer level, go fuck yourself, retarded cocksucker Mr. Developer.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
I have decided to start an Ultima Marathon, each time on the original platform, and, not sure why, with the accurate loading time. I will start my third session of Akalabeth tonight, and hopefully, I will kill the Mimic I have been asked to find, even though I am spending a lot more time watching the screen drawing itself than actually playing.

To keep my sanity, I alternate between this and TESO. Oh yeah.

Machocruz

Arcane
Couldn't run SR4, so I started Hidden and Dangerous 2. The campaign is really good for a tactical team shooter. More like a standard, story driven FPS campaign, not as dry as the Tom Clancy or SWAT games. Gunplay feels and sounds great.

Also picked up again my play through of Wizardry V: Heart of the Maelstrom on SNES. This game scares me. Not as punishing as 4, but still has me playing very cautiously. It's a great 'theater of the mind' game, gives you just enough visual information to interest the eyes but sparse and abstract enough to let your imagination work. And the music is heavan.

sbb

Learned
cuz I was getting killed by some insects, fuck that shit. If the second level of your game is a sewer level, go fuck yourself, retarded cocksucker Mr. Developer.
Game experience may change while sucking at the game

Cadmus

Arcane
cuz I was getting killed by some insects, fuck that shit. If the second level of your game is a sewer level, go fuck yourself, retarded cocksucker Mr. Developer.
I played it for a few hours tops. I admit I wasn't doing great but it wasn't hard at all up until that point (on hard difficulty). The thing is, everything about this game had already been pissing me off and like hell I'm gonna sit there and keep trying to finish a level that I don't care about in a boring-ass shit of a game. That would be insane.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Couldn't run SR4, so I started Hidden and Dangerous 2. The campaign is really good for a tactical team shooter. More like a standard, story driven FPS campaign, not as dry as the Tom Clancy or SWAT games. Gunplay feels and sounds great..
H&D2 is an absolute gem. Best tactical squad based shooter bar none. Hell, best WWII themed game.

murloc_gypsy

Cipher
Just tried out Age of Wonders 3. Holy shit, this looks sweet. Love that you can have two adjacent armies get into the same combat. Unit flavour text is pretty decent also. :greatjob:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Just tried out Age of Wonders 3. Holy shit, this looks sweet. Love that you can have two adjacent armies get into the same combat. Unit flavour text is pretty decent also. :greatjob:
It's a great game for sure. Ive got 50 hours on it. Love the ranom map generator, lots of options to tweak. Plus the game is very well made and looks great. You can get 6 adjacent armies not only 2 :P

Unwanted

Goat Vomit

Andhaira
Andhaira
I started playing Singularity recently and it pissed me off that it didnt have subtitles. How the fuck can you miss to put in subtitles? Fuck your cinematic bullshit-
It had a rushed development cycle to say the least. I guess there just wasn't any time for that.

Starwars

Arcane
Playing some Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut.

It's really gewd overall. Some glaring flaws here and there but one of the best recent/"semi-recent" AAA titles for sure. Adam Jensen is a badass. Except cutscene-Jensen who is a total dumbass.

spekkio

Arcane
Finished Warcaft 3 - Frozen Throne

+ more of the same
+ quite long for an add-on
+ new units are mostly interesting
+ quite difficult / varied / requires different tactics than vanilla

- more of the same
- pathfinding is still atrocious (worse than in Starfraft, AFAIR!) - units have no problems maneuvering around buildings, but can keep cockblocking other units for awfuly long time. Dawn of War rules here.
- some missions are puzzle-like (find the one specific way to win)
- some missions are fucking irritating due to "my single team vs. 5 enemy teams with defensive environment and better access to resources" syndrome
- new units / races look quite different / worse art-wise than the original ones.

Still, the last good game from Blizzard deserves a:

:4/5:

Todo:

1) finish Rayman – Origins finally (started in... February?)
2) start tWitcher 2 (first playthrough) – decline calls.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Once I realized that Puzzle Kingdoms was a sequel of sorts to Puzzle Quest, I decided to give it a go. For those that don't know, Puzzle Quest is a precursor to Candy Crush (at least gameplay wise), featuring the same gameplay of switching gems on a game field to match 3+ gems, causing collapses and chain reactions and whatnot. Except Puzzle Quest used this to resolve combat situations as you controlled a character who was out to save the land from an ancient evil. EVERY encounter was resolved with a Candy Crush-esque game, and some other activities required that mini-games based on the same concept be solved. Combat situations were resolved by matching gems to collect mana which you used to power your spells. Up to 6 spells could be chosen, some companions could be brought along and items used, giving the game a minor RPG vibe. The other notable thing about Puzzle Quest is that it's a part of the Warlords franchise, so the world map and NPC names may seem familiar to some old grognards.

Anyway, back to Puzzle Kingdoms.

PK features the same world map, almost the same starting point and pretty much the same plot; It seems that Lord Bane is back and out to conquer the world. Instead of the player creating one character, he can choose from a series of heroes, and those heroes can choose equipment, spells, troops and relics. The troops are the backbone of your force, you're matching gems to build mana for their attacks, and once they're charged you click a button and they attack the enemy's troops. Also, instead of swapping two gems, you push a row or column by one square. Frankly I don't see the reason for this change, it took me over an hour to get used to this "new" system compared to the one in PQ.

One of the biggest problems with Puzzle Quest was that EVERY conflict, even if it was a roaming beast that got in your way, had to be resolved by matching gems, which often dragged the pace of the game down to a crawl. Puzzle Kingdoms takes this aspect to the extreme; PQ only used around 70% of the world map, while PK uses ALL of it. What's worse, in order to defeat a kingdom you move to one location and "attack", which opens up a mini-map where you have to fight your way through waypoints to defeat all the enemy strongholds, usually around 10-15 fights. Once all the strongholds are down you get an item which must be destroyed at a shrine, and that involves the most annoying mini-game I've seen in decades. In PQ I often suspected the game of cheating, in PK it's just plain obvious. While the fights themselves are a pushover, the mini-games range from being very frustrating to outright impossible... and they gets worse the further you progress.

Eventually I just gave up playing because of two reasons: When I wasn't being trolled by the game in a stupid mini-game, I was curb-stomping the enemy forces as if the AI was nonexistant. I conquered 7 territories (around 150 fights in total) and only lost one fight, and that was due to bad luck rather than any skill on the computer's behalf.

Puzzle Kingdoms takes the WORST aspects of Puzzle Quest and builds on them. That alone should be a bad sign.

2/10, would not bang (gems together).

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Binary Domain. It's my second favorite behind vanquish. Whoever said Japanese devs can't make third person shooters should try these out.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
Giving Shadowrun Returns another chance.

Completed Dragonfall. It was a great, solid, short campaign. Maybe I'll replay it when the Director's Cut comes out.

Starting Dead Man's Switch again...agh, it's boring.

DeepOcean

Arcane
I played it for a few hours tops. I admit I wasn't doing great but it wasn't hard at all up until that point (on hard difficulty). The thing is, everything about this game had already been pissing me off and like hell I'm gonna sit there and keep trying to finish a level that I don't care about in a boring-ass shit of a game. That would be insane.
Have the glove power that turns your melee attack on a spammable melee explosion attack and the insects have no way of harming you. Anyway, the game is shitty, Wolfenstein 2009 is way better, it was the last decent game made by Raven, go play it instead. Singularity is just like CoD and Bioshock are married, have a son but CoD discovers Bioshock was betraying him with some russian guy writing bad time traveling fan fiction about the soviet union. Two weapons limit alone is a mortal sin on a FPS.

Jick Magger

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria
Been having a Resident Evil binge over the past week

Resident Evil 3 - Haven't played this in awhile, but overall impressions are still good. It managed to find a good compromise between the more actionized style of Resident Evil 2 (with more ammo, weapon variety, and enemies, with an added ammo crafting system) with the survival horror of the first game (ammo for mid to end game weapons are much more scarce, forcing you to rely more on the limited ammo crafting resources and forcing you to really think on how you'll use them). Nemesis is still as threatening as ever, and the game does a good job at forcing the player to really think about whether or not they want to waste their resources for potential gun part drops, or just legging it.

Code Veronica - probably the hardest classic RE game out there. Ammo is scarcer than ever, while the number of enemies is still around the same as the actionized RE2 & 3. They did compromise this a bit by making the knife much more effective than it was in the earlier games, but it's still a definite return to the first game's more subdued style. I'd probably say this is one of the best out of the original series...If it weren't for the fact that nearly everything else about it was pretty bad. This is definintely the point in the series where the cartoonish soap opera that is the Umbrella/Wesker story arc started taking precedence over the actual survival horror, which was carefully side-stepped by RE4 (though later being added in as a central plot point to Ada's story in the PS2 version) and basically took over RE5, with the characters being either ridiculous (Alfred, Alexia) or plain unlikable and annoying (Steve). Monster designs are also just weak overall. Most of it just borrows from the ideas bin presented by the earlier games (zombie doge, big blue man with messed up hands, RE1 hunters, spiders, etc), while the rest really lack the more macabre, Re-Animator-esque horrific perversion of nature vibes that the other games had. Most of them just look retarded, to be honest (Stretchy-arm man, electric lamprey-thing, giant worm, and bats). Great gameplay that's let down by poor presentation, all-in-all.

Resident Evil 6 - I've only played about 15 minutes of this and it's already one of the most Michael-Bay, testosterome, fueled action fests I've seen in recent memory. It's almost endearing, in a way. Will keep pushing on through to see what Leon's campaign is like.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Decided to try out two games in my Steam library on a lark, one that I'm revisiting and another that I had never tried before.

Fearless Fantasy is an interesting concept - take only the combat system of the Final Fantasy games, add in mouse-based QTEs and try to build a game out of it. Needless to say it fails abysmally.

Then I had another go at Guacamelee! I gave up the first time round because I felt that the controls were horrible. This time round I got further and not only discovered metagame elements of the kind that made Fez look stupid, but also that the controls are, indeed, terrible. To be honest I fail to see how I could play this game properly even if I had a controller. Guacamelee! has a lot going for it, but the clear "I'm a console title!" stench of the game drags it down to a level where I'm simply going to leave it alone.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Played Trials Evolution yesterday for like 5 hours straight, went so good that I even managed to get gold medals on hard tracks and beat almost all the extreme tracks except the Inferno track. Pretty funny concidering I can only beat 2 extremes on Trials Fusion so far, but it feels good to know I'm getting better. Some technical stuff that was impossible for me to comprehend a month ago I can do now with ease. Still feel like a noob even after 45+ hours invested in Fusion.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Are these worth getting if I have Trials 2?
Fuck yes.
Evo is lightyears better than Trials 2. Also fuckload more content. Fusion is sweet too, but I recommend getting Season Pass for it cause new tracks that regural user build usually create em with the new objects that come from new DLC packs. Also you get some sweet official tracks.
Evo Gold edition that is available only on PC also includes all the tracks from the original Trials HD xbox game so you get 2 games in 1. But the DLC packs that they released for HD and Evolution are only available on Xbox Live.

Fusion needs a bit beefy PC to run and is best on Xbone or PS4, mainly cause all the crowd is there and makes content for it. For example, PC version got about 2000 custom tracks, x360 version that I also own got 12000, xbone 18000 and PS4 as largest got about 23000 user created tracks so far. Ubisoft/Redlynx picks several user made tracks with highest ratings every other week and makes em available on all platforms and puts em in their uPlay section. So just in that section there's hours of goodness when people get tired of grinding the official tracks.

circ

Arcane
Warhammer 40,000: SPUD MARINE

OH MY FUCKING GAWRSH. This is one of the worst games I have ever played. Not only did it just take a few hours to finish, the campaign was such a piece of shit I probably have colon cancer now.
Mark Strong is a pretty amazing actor, but he along with every other voice actor in this sucks total ass. IN A RELIC GAME. What the fuck.
Nothing about this game feels like Warhammer in the least. The level and creature design is atrocious. The camera is a nightmare. The controls aren't much better. The encounter design is straight out of the mind of a retard. Plot too.
I can't find anything good about this game, even the graphics feel outdated as hell.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom