Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Fair enough. I believe that you'll be much more impressed with UUW1 than UUW2. UUW1 is only lightly based on the "lore and mythos" of the Ultima series, while UUW2 is more connected to the "main" Ultima series, but again only slightly.

7h30n

Augur
Fair enough. I believe that you'll be much more impressed with UUW1 than UUW2. UUW1 is only lightly based on the "lore and mythos" of the Ultima series, while UUW2 is more connected to the "main" Ultima series, but again only slightly.

I hope I won't miss out much, since I haven't played any of Ultimas. Btw I'm already impressed with the intro (voice acting and excellent music in '91) and what I read about gameplay options from the manual

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I took the opportunity to check out Dishumoured, since it's free on steam till sunday, and it's actually p. fun.

The premise/intro are completely ridiculous, as is all the other info that's being shoveled in your face (Hello, my name is Pendleton, I am totally not a traitor and my treason will totally not be shown in the next 10 minutes in a SPOOKY DREAM), but whatever.

I'm only at the first mission so far (assassinate the overseer), but blinking around rooftops is cooler than anticipated, as I thought it would just be popamole, but the (relative) lack of invisible walls allows for jumping on many cool spots (and drop on unsuspecting fuckers @_@ ).

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Medi-fucking-Evil and Front Mission 1.

MediEvil is as awesome as ever, but I never got far as I always seemed to be playing something else when I try to get into that. But for now, it's my main focus, and boy it's pretty good. Still pissed that we haven't heard hide nor hair of Sony porting MediEvil 2 to PSN.

Front Mission 1 is also simpler than I expected, it's pretty much bombard all your enemies with ranged attacks and let my overleveled melee fighters take care of them afterwards.

Betrayal at Krondor is probably next on my list.

DDZ

Red blood, white skin, blue collar
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
PDVgRKj.png

What I have been wasting my time on these past few weeks.

Will try Dishonoured today, not because it's free cause I already owned it, but because Darth Roxor said it was entertaining, I will hold him responsible.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Will try Dishonoured today, not because it's free cause I already owned it, but because Darth Roxor said it was entertaining, I will hold him responsible.

Warning: game experience may change during online play :troll:

octavius

Arcane
Patron

I hope I won't miss out much, since I haven't played any of Ultimas.

UU2 features lots of NPCs that will be old friends of the Avatar but strangers to you the player if you haven't played U7, or at least read up on it, first.

sexbad?

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Also just replayed the Half-Life 2 episodes. They are total decline from what made HL2 great. Before Call of Duty 4 took the world by storm, this is where contemporary shooters really got their follow-mom-around-and-look-at-things-with-her inspiration from. It's mostly just content and ideas recycled from HL2, but generally worse, and interspersed between a load of filler where you just hold mom's hand and watch the environment with her. Episode Two is better and has fewer scripted moments where you have to just stand and look at the environment (at least there's more than one person talking in these scenes), but apart from its ending, there's nothing to gain out of playing it. HL2 has much better design and pacing.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Partying with WoW Classic on Emerald Dream server. It's a huge fucking server, massive nostalgia. People actually running around the place.

Grim Monk

Arcane
Finished Geneforge 1 for first time.

:5/5:

Got the: Megalomaniac Solo Ending

zxPVres.jpg

:yeah:
Enslaving nations with Shaper Magic.

This actually my second ending.

The first Ending was the "Bunch of Megalomaniacs tearing the world apart" one.

Reloaded my save.

Last edited:

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I don't have mood for STALKERs right now (StalkerSoup is so HUEG that burned me out after 70h, there is about 20-40 locations or more, compared to vanilia 10, the biggest Stalker mod ever, also it stop me from modding Shadow of Chernobyl and I'm bored with Call of Pripyat).
So.... I spend that first days of autumn playing some various FPS games.

So this time is the ZODIAC. It have 6 missions that suppose to happen during JC Denton's missions. We play as a Paul Denton.
It's not that serious
President being mindcontrolled by aliens
and last two missions are filled with enemies (so if you somewhat enjoyed shooting in DE then it's mod for you). I managed to kill my character with plasma rifle in close combat (firing plasma at short distance). Gee, no wonder I didn't used it in vanilia, it sucks and it's not worth wasting inventory space.
Also we went to some secret bunker and fly on UFO, yay.
Some pics:
ibszW4OOQAvcab.jpg

icX7jlSZF3ZoI.jpg

ibvaHxBR1jTEIB.jpg

ibk5DHUZOIAOOb.jpg

Yeah, that green guy is ZODIAC trooper. For some reason UNATCO troopers on 5th missions have metalic female voice...

EDIT: allright, finished it now. Guess what - last level was full of alienz to mow down, unless you choose higher difficulty with bullet sponge enemies (enjoy). Or I could join the dark side (shadow gvmnt) and save my bullets.

Next one is the biggest one - The Nameless Project. Tried only training, voiceacting is nice, even for DesuSex standards. Some ideas may upset some rulesetfags (same canister with augs work like update if you already have one installed) but whatever.

Last edited:

oscar

Arcane
ZODIAC was fun. I got bored on the last mission (which in terms of level design is quite over-the-top and awesome) as I missed something that would have required a lot of backtracking but overall I had a good time.

Missions were impressively spacious and generally well designed.

Humppaleka

Cipher
I'm trying to play Black Mesa but it just doesn't feel right. The graphics are cool, yes, but they lack the feel and charm of the rough originals. The music is not very good and doesn't fit the game at all, also it just suddenly starts blaring for a minute or two when most of the game is completely silent, which I prefer much more. Some combat encounters were changed for the worse, now it has places where you simply cannot avoid taking damage. It's been about two years since I played the original, so I might not remember correctly. Overall when I finish this release (they haven't apparently done the whole game yet), I don't think I'll be coming back even if they add more stuff.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Diablo 3 Ultimate Evil on Console
:popamole:

Friend of mine gave me his discs and told me to check it out. I like mobility, so the Demon Hunter seemed like a good fit. The game only allows you to pick up to Expert difficulty until you hit lv60/act 4, so I dunno if it gets any better. So far I went in blind on expert, I'm halfway through act 3 and I haven't died once. I've used Maybe 2 or 3 potions total spread across all the boss fights, and none on elites. Regular lifesteal from attacks and companion keeps me topped off on health. Templar companion tanks shit and keeps the pressure down. I spam caltrops and vault if I absolutely have to. Rapid fire + slow rune + passive that makes slowed shit take extra damage is my main damage source. I have evasive fire (more disengage) and bat companion (hatred battery) for when hatred is too low to rapid fire shit.

"Rare" irems are way too common. I haven't equipped a single normal or 'regular' magic item since level 4 or so. Most minibosses drop at least one rare, and because they're so plentiful the majority of them simply get converted into crafting materials. The vendors also sell underlevelled trash, so the DIY crafting merchant is the only source of gear outside drops that match the stats you're after.

No p2w auctionhouse (jtagged console, no online at all) or hyper-optimized guides. I'll probably soldier through to complete it. But unless difficulty gets a lot higher, I don't see myself going for the endgame. It's a shame really, because the actual dashing around, dropping slow patches and trying not to get cornered is decent popamole entertainment. Console also allows multiplayer on the same screen which seems like decent fun if you're sharing the TV with someone.

:5/5::0/5:

Last edited:

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Started playing HeXen again recently. I'm kinda sad at the lack of dark fantasy FPS games. Despite HeXen and Heretic being relatively popular the sub genre never really took off and was pretty much dead by the 00's.

Cazzeris

Finished Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

It was p. good (and maybe too easy), but Spear of Destiny is still my favorite.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Age of Wonders 3 (running in the background windowed while im browsing around) and going through Hitman Absolution.

7h30n

Augur
Aw man... I can't bring myself to play Dishonored. I'm "stuck" again at the end of the first mission, unable to get myself to play it. This time I started on Very Hard + no saving in mission in hope it would make the experience better, but alas... And I can't really pinpoint the problem, is it because it's too easy, is it because of uninteresting characters and writing? I mean how can that be, the game has really nicely constructed world (both visually and backstory wise) but every dialogue/text in the game is just uninteresting to read/hear.
So other than trying to play Dishonored, I'm mixing it up with Invisible Inc. (and trying not to touch UUW because if the game is as fun to play as System Shock I'll forget about everything else).

baturinsky

Arcane
Aw man... I can't bring myself to play Dishonored. I'm "stuck" again at the end of the first mission, unable to get myself to play it. This time I started on Very Hard + no saving in mission in hope it would make the experience better, but alas... And I can't really pinpoint the problem, is it because it's too easy, is it because of uninteresting characters and writing? I mean how can that be, the game has really nicely constructed world (both visually and backstory wise) but every dialogue/text in the game is just uninteresting to read/hear.
So other than trying to play Dishonored, I'm mixing it up with Invisible Inc. (and trying not to touch UUW because if the game is as fun to play as System Shock I'll forget about everything else).
Have you tried to play Dishonored as Ghost/No Kills?

7h30n

Augur

Yes... but the game's fun just eludes me. This try seemed to induce the most fun, I'm trying to be stealthy but when I screw up things get messy. I guess the problem is stealth options are really boring + guards are deaf and blind (horizontal sight is ok, but vertical is nonexistent). And this sound thing is rather weird. The game has rather good sound design (meaning every action has a distinct sound and you can use that as clues for anything), but it just doesn't mesh with the AI because they are oblivious to sounds you hear.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron

Yes... but the game's fun just eludes me. This try seemed to induce the most fun, I'm trying to be stealthy but when I screw up things get messy. I guess the problem is stealth options are really boring + guards are deaf and blind (horizontal sight is ok, but vertical is nonexistent). And this sound thing is rather weird. The game has rather good sound design (meaning every action has a distinct sound and you can use that as clues for anything), but it just doesn't mesh with the AI because they are oblivious to sounds you hear.

When I come across games like these, I just uninstall them and don't look back. No matter how interesting the game may sound, or the setting, or the gameplay... if things don't click together I just don't bother.

A brilliant example of this in recent times is a game called Signal Ops. Everything about this game seemed to ring home with me, until I sat down and played it. The game starts with a forced tutorial for basic controls, then SLOWLY proceeds to a another forced tutorial about how to control your team of agents... I ran the tutorial twice and I'm NO closer towards what the fuck I just did to get things done. It is a control scheme that's somehow very hard to get into, and by the looks of things seems designed for a gamepad first and foremost. That a game does its best job to scare people off of it is a very bizarre design indeed.

Maybe I'll revisit the game someday, but first impressions did it no good. I get the feeling that your instincts steer you right, but it's up to you whether you continue to bang your head against the proverbial rock.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Steam currently has an offer on a small indie game called The Bridge, only $1. I thought I'd give it a go, and I'm regretting it already.

It's Braid, remixed by M.C. Escher. The graphics are remiscient of Braid, except all done in pencil (like most of Escher's work) and I swear some of the graphic assets are taken directly from Braid (the doors and the key, for example). Furthermore, it uses license-free music, meaning you've probably heard it somewhere else before. The first piece of music I heard, for example, was used previously in Eschalon: Book 1.

It has the "rewind" feature from Braid, and the house with doors opening different chapters, and a small interlude after each completed segment where a story is trying to be told. It also features hidden things that form a "2deep4u" element to the "story".

In short, I'm wondering why the Braid developer hasn't sued these guys to oblivion for stealing his game and taking out all the colours.

spekkio

Arcane
Finished Front Mission 2

Pros:

- Better than FM1 at your own team's wanzer variety (using identical "best" wanzer setup isn't an optimal solution).
- Better than FM3 at scale (12 units in your team, 20-30 enemies per mission).
- Utilizing the system (gaining / losing AP, geo effect, blocking paths, counters, special skills) is crucial to survival. Basic "gang up" technique, known from all Japanese tactical games, isn't enough here.
- Customization is as good as always - you can use any wanzer setup you want (1-3 weapons of different type, items, special skills).
- Special skill system is less complex than in FM3 (“use to increase”), while still being essential and fun to use. See also cons.
- Melee weapons are much more useful / essential / fun to use than in FM3. See also cons.
- Graphics are nice - simple, yet classy early 3d.
- The game is long (over 60 hrs), hardcore (no training, only regular missions) and addictive. Die Alte Schule.

Cons:

- There are way too many parts and weapons, adding mostly +1/+2 to wanzer stats. With the game being 30 missions long, you get like 15 sets of almost identical parts / weapons. FM3 went with "less, but more meaningful" route.
- There are too many special skills as well, some of them totally useless / subpar. 3-4 initial ones (trained to higher levels) are better than the fancy later ones.
- The plot is nothing special, if not totally stupid at times (sudden captures, rescues, fake villains, etc.).
- Loading times are way too long, despite being reduced in this (ultimate) version.
- The UI is a bit crude, both in combat and during customization - sometimes you have to go 2-3 levels deep into submenus to get some important info (enemy range / armor type / weapons). FM3 is much better in this aspect / requires less clicking.
- This entire "1x1" showdown part of combat is a mess: too long, too much info, style over usefulness. FM3 improved here greatly (all info on one screen, short animation). You can disable it in menus, but that means either less info or more menu browsing.
- Camera is set too close to the ground, which reduces visibility greatly / forces you to twitch the camera around.
- Melee weapons are hilariously broken / imbalanced: same range as short weapons (1x1), low AP cost, high accuracy + resistant to accuracy penalties (geo), free counter, no ammo, best special skills... Did I miss something?
- Missiles / ranged weapons are nerfed when compared to FM1 & especially FM3 (low ammo, damage & accuracy). Still, they rule in the final part of the game (enemies with powerful counter skills).
- Some missions have clearly a "puzzle" nature: find the one and only way of completing the mission.
- Txt dumps are simply too big sometimes and non-interactive. Get this VN shit out of my tactical game.
- Forced parts (like 5 consecutive arena fights to meet the champion) aren't fun.
- Some missions (mostly "escort some AI-controlled fag" ones) are irritating: there's no way of preparing to them except trying – failing – adjusting.
- Aircraft being resistant to most weapons, except special anti-air ones is a good idea taking realism into consideration, but stupid thing gameplay-wise. It requires you to either keep some AA specialist around (useless if no aircraft present) or re-trying missions with different (AA) gear.
- Constant changes of your teams in the first half of the game get irritating (units re-appear in some missions in weird roles / with useless equipment).
- The game totally ignores the y-axis in most cases - you can't go up/down / attack from above / below. FM3 is better here.
- Sometimes mission objectives aren't clear. For example "Protect object X", when you don't have an actual idea what it actually means. "Prevent enemies from destroying object X"? "Prevent them from standing next to it"? Enjoy reloading earlier saves.
- Translation is incomplete, which forces you to do some additional work (using txt translation, checking faqs for info).

Still, I won't go below:

:5/5:

:d1p:

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom