Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
My co workers encouraged me to get Xcom with Enemy Within and it's pretty addictive. It's a combination management game and turn based strategy, and I've forgotten how much I like those.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
I really want to play Quest for Infamy, and I even started it... but then I went back to Divinity: Original Sin again because Divinity: Original Sin is (worse than) drugs. Damn you, Larian :argh:

Eddas

Learned
I really want to play Quest for Infamy, and I even started it... but then I went back to Divinity: Original Sin again because Divinity: Original Sin is (worse than) drugs. Damn you, Larian :argh:
Looking foward to play that one too, but I'm in the same position you are right now. DOS is starting to affect my personal life...

spekkio

Arcane
Finished Silent Hill 3.

Pros:

- Good old Silent Hill: disfigured monsters, buzzing radio, headstomps, religious fanatics. See also cons.
- Expands and explains SH1 plot, so the entire story makes much more sense after completing SH3. See also cons.
- Heather is an interesting character, being central to the whole mess.

Cons:

- More of the same, no new elements.
- Dispels some of SH1 magic / weirdness, by explaining in detail WTF actually happened.
- The plot takes 3-4 hours to actually start being interesting, before that, it's just "keep going and maybe something happens".
- The game takes place almost entirely indoors, with only one outdoor location (p. small). Too bad, since I liked walking around mist-covered Silent Hill.
- Too many cutscenes take place "far away" from Heather. For example: she faints and the player somehow magically observes what is going on somewhere else – hurts immershun.
- Writing in cutscenes is p. bad / over the top (while in item descriptions / puzzles, writing is good).
- Controls and combat scheme are IMO even worse than usual in the series. Enjoy getting knocked over again and again or trying to actually hit something (switching between targets).
- Some enemies aren't dangerous at all, some (rotating fags, crawling fags) are extremely hard to kill / annoying (mostly due to aiming problems),
- Some gameplay elements require trial and error due to instakill shtick (tentacle monster, subway, final puzzle),
- Bosses are anticlimactic: mostly just damage soakers, "shoot till ITZ drops down" tactic is enough,
- Puzzles are too easy - I wouldn't have to consult a FAQ even once, if not for...
- Some items are way too easy to miss (for example, one of the regular-looking drawers actually being usable) or require perfect positioning to interact with due to shitty Heather-environment position detection.
- Final puzzle with the pendant is p. stupid (almost no hints). And cum fetus-swapping... :roll:
- Only three endings: normal, sloppy and fucked-up. Decline, when compared with previous games.

tl;dr

:3/5:

Last edited:

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
i am trying to play Jedi knight 2 Jedi Outcast but i am getting very annoyed by the aiming. It's almost impossible to hit anything

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Finished Arkham City. Gadgets make combat more entertaining. That critical hit upgrade you can get is really good too, it's really handful when you face huge hordes of ennemies (which happens quite often). The side missions get you going for a good while. I've clocked around 25 hours, which is really the appropriate amount for this type of game. And I've some side missions left, Catwoman's stuff and the DLC.

If you're a fan of Batman comics, this game must feel like a continuous orgasm, seeing how many characters make an appearence, and all the background stuff you can discover while exploring the city and doing the Riddler's missions.

garren

Arcane
Patron
:rage: :x

Been playing Might and Magic X Legacy. Just got a corrupted save. Had my quicksave and autosave, nothing else. Turns out my quicksave was corrupted and it messed up game loading (couldn't load it or the autosave) so I had to delete the quicksave and voila, game loading works again. Too bad I made a new test party to see what was going on before I figured out that I needed to delete the corrupted quicksave. Yes, the game made a new autosave on top of the old one.

:rage: :rpgcodex: :mob: :butthurt:

I was nearing the end of Act 3 and everything.

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just finished the Witcher 1. If the devil himself gave me the choice of replaying it again or comitting suicide, I would choose the latter.

kingcomrade

Kingcomrade
Edgy
Dota 2, Xcom Enemy Within, Titanfall, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (the greatest game ever created), Anno 2070, Sword of the Stars The Pit, just beat Wolfenstein New Order a few days ago. I think that's it.
Oh, I dragged an SNES emulator out of storage and have been playing Chrono Trigger

I wanted to play Golden Sun 1 and 2 and Terranigma again. I vaguely remember these games being good but its been years.

Comte

Finished Tex Murphy: Under a killing moon. I'm more then halfway through Tex Murphy Martian Memorandum. I have also been playing a lot of Victoria 2.

Admiral jimbob

gay as all hell
Wasteland 2
Dota 2, Xcom Enemy Within, Titanfall, Tomb Raider, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (the greatest game ever created), Anno 2070, Sword of the Stars The Pit, just beat Wolfenstein New Order a few days ago. I think that's it.
Oh, I dragged an SNES emulator out of storage and have been playing Chrono Trigger

I wanted to play Golden Sun 1 and 2 and Terranigma again. I vaguely remember these games being good but its been years.
Golden Sun really doesn't hold up any more, Terranigma is pretty good

Blonsky

Prophet
Scrapland
So you come to a asteroid populated with robots and no humans allowed policy, get a job as a reporter and start researching crimes committed by someone looking like a human.
The game is made of two parts. First part is building your ship and flying with it from one place to another, while fighting and racing with it for money, the second part is talking with other robots and taking their shape so you can go to places you cant go otherwise and avoiding police scanners.
Racing completely depends on the ships/engines you have, fighting with a ship is to easy even against the police, and avoiding police scanners means you have to run away from them before the bar fills up and an alert starts.
There are the easy parts and the annoying parts in the game and there is no way to avoid either of them even when doing simple quest.

Also started Vampires the Masquerade for the first time, answered a bunch of questions at start, accepted what ever the game said i should be, went through the hippie/biker/vampire tutorial missions and now i am wondering what was behind that one door i could not lock pick in tutorial and should i start over to find out.

Quilty

Magister
XCOM with the Long War mod. It's excellent, brutal fun. A true incline for the series.

Machocruz

Arcane
In progress:

Dwarf Fortress: always assume I'm playing this at some point. Reaching saturation though. If Toady doesn't do something new with the geography, I'm probably going to build an insane mega-fortress for the ages and then retire.

OpenX-Com on Veteran: Enemy reaction fire and and accuracy were mopping the floor with me until I started spamming smoke, HE, and rocket tank. Now I have heavy plasma and a bunch of squaddies and saergents (plus expendable rookie "scouts") and the game is more manageable. The number of enemies in bases and terror missions is ridiculous. I had one terror mission where I spent at least 80% of it with my squad positioned around the ship, fighting off what felt like non-stop Cyrsallds. Night time, too. The tensest tactical experience I've ever had. Sight lines, proximity mines and HE ftw. Firaxis really fucked up by not having the horror element present in UE.

Metal Gear Rising: So fresh, so clean. Jap console gaming at its finest. Best combat since DMC4, imo. Fairly elegant system. Everything you do looks cool as shit, except wearing high heels. If you thought Bioshlock was a better game last year, you're probably a shit-bird. Just sayin'.

Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne aka Fuck Adult Life! - I wish I was a kid again, so I'd have enough idle time to justify playing this game 3 hours a day. Even as early on as I am, I feel this is one of the best JRPGs ever made. The aesthetic, mood, and atmosphere are really inspired and inspiring. Stylized renditions of demons/occult-in-modern-urban-settings is something that western entertainment needs to get on. I can only play so much SMT and watch so much Devilman.

Silva

Arcane
Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne aka Fuck Adult Life! - I wish I was a kid again, so I'd have enough idle time to justify playing this game 3 hours a day. Even as early on as I am, I feel this is one of the best JRPGs ever made. The aesthetic, mood, and atmosphere are really inspired and inspiring. Stylized renditions of demons/occult-in-modern-urban-settings is something that western entertainment needs to get on. I can only play so much SMT and watch so much Devilman.
How is it compared to Persona 3 ?

I loved that game until the dungeons got a bit repetitive then real-life matters took my attention off from it.

Machocruz

Arcane
How is it compared to Persona 3 ?

I never got far in Persona 3 either. I liked the characters, storyline, and Social Link stuff, but the dungeon crawling and combat was like cold porridge to me. SMT3's combat gets more difficult and feels more rewarding. Seems like you have more choice from the beginning as to what demons (and thus abilities) you can acquire and more control over when you acquire them, so there is never a point where you are stuck with some shitty selection, unlike P3 and 4 where I've put the same amount of time in but have a smaller selection of abilities available to me. The dungeons are similarly featureless but are less tedious to get through because of the variety of locations and the fact that you can always use the time spent there to try and recruit more demons for fusing.

Basically, Nocturne is something I look forward too, while Persona 3 and 4 have me wishing for a cheat code so I could buff my party and just rush to the end of each dungeon set.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Finally finished Shadowrun Returns. It pretty much turned out the way I expected. Just a fun RPG romp through one of my favorite PnP settings. I liked the ending too. Fitting heh. And story was half-way decent also. Will play the Dragon DLC next (since I got it for free for backing this).

DeepOcean

Arcane
HAVING A BLAST WITH SPACEBASE DF 9
I always look this one with curiosity but because Double Fine's behavior with Broken Age and Massive Chalice, I'm skeptical about it. Is there a decent game on it or is just a gimmicky thing to fuck around for 20 min and abandon because of the complete lack of content as I suspect it to be?

Eddas

Learned
HAVING A BLAST WITH SPACEBASE DF 9
I always look this one with curiosity but because Double Fine's behavior with Broken Age and Massive Chalice, I'm skeptical about it. Is there a decent game on it or is just a gimmicky thing to fuck around for 20 min and abandon because of the complete lack of content as I suspect it to be?

The feeling I get from this game is "play for a few days, drop it, come back a few weeks later". It's like Kerbal, Dwarf Fortress: I play a lot for a few days/weeks, lost interest and then come back when major updates are released. I've never played this game, but I would wait until its release. I've been following this game for a while now, and they release updates quite frequently, but there are a lot of mixed reviews. Its the kind of game with a huge potential, but little of that potential accomplished right now.

Right now, I would pay 20 BRL (~ US$10), not the 45 they are asking.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom